08-11-15 12:31 AM
40 12
tools
    Settings/Software update/options/disable auto update.
    Done.
    You've not seen the threads about the "mandatory" updates that ignored that setting?

Not so "done" after all.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 06:34 AM
    Best option would be just to stop sales of BB10 and allow it to remain as is with it's Android Player intact.
    This is what seems most likely to me. BB10 would be EOL but grandfathered in on existing devices, with runtime intact.
    07-17-15 06:48 AM
    Blackberry is silent on this because it's my understanding that they're teaming up with Apple...
    07-17-15 07:00 AM
    This is what seems most likely to me. BB10 would be EOL but grandfathered in on existing devices, with runtime intact.
    Can't see them doing that at all. I feel like they do indeed have a deal with Google in place. As I mentioned in the forum niko over at n4bb said Google told BlackBerry they could have Google play services for bb10. The only requirement being that they needed to also have a lineup of Android phones which is what the rumor from the digitimes article suggested.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 07:00 AM
    Can't see them doing that at all. I feel like they do indeed have a deal with Google in place. As I mentioned in the forum niko over at n4bb said Google told BlackBerry they could have Google play services for bb10. The only requirement being that they needed to also have a lineup of Android phones which is what the rumor from the digitimes article suggested.

Posted via CB10
    Having Google services on bb10 doesn't sit right with me, being hooked up to Google all the time. Security much? Lol

Q10 - 10.3.2.2339/SR .2226  < α∂∂ιт > 
    07-17-15 07:17 AM
    Having Google services on bb10 doesn't sit right with me, being hooked up to Google all the time. Security much? Lol

Q10 - 10.3.2.2339/SR .2226  < α∂∂ιт > 
    First there is a difference in security and privacy.

Downloading BAR and APK files from random websites (back in the early days of BB10), Installing apps from 1Mobile and the host of other 3rd party apps stores that were once greatly recommended here, or now installing hacks from what seem like "nice guys" and giving them your GAccount info just to get access to Google.... I really don't think most users here really care anymore about security than the average consumer. I use both SNAP and Cobalt's Solutions... I "trust" them, and they both say they aren't logging your account info (and I believe them) but is it really wise to use those apps if you are security conscious?

Now privacy... I think you would be surprised just how little your BlackBerry is protecting your privacy. Unless you are a very smart person and limit the applications that you run....
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-17-15 07:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    Then I guess Samsung will be getting Google Play Services for Tizen also?

I've seen rumors that BlackBerry had a deal with Google and we were about to get Google Play Services for well over a year now.

While not impossible, I do think it HIGHLY improbable as I don't see what BlackBerry could give to Google that would make them consider for a moment opening Pandora's box for BlackBerry. Much cheaper to just buy BlackBerry and keep the existing "rules" in place, because you start rocking the boat... people will find a new boat to ride.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-17-15 08:30 AM
    Rumor has it that it was rumored by a guy famous for spreading rumors, that there was a rising rumor that on another rumored ridden rumor which was based totally on an unverifiable rumor from another rumor famed personality that this rumor is just a bad rumor.

Fact is BlackBerry has acquired alien tech and will be rolling out a device (soon) which would be all in one device, mobile, car, jet pack, you just think it and it transforms to make it a reality (don't confuse it with transformers, that's another rumor). You of course have to get the device registered, unlocked, tagged to your DNA, paired with your brain (if you have one) and download and install the apps... what a bummer!!!

I'm not going to buy that device... it will not have Instagram, Facebook, WhatsApp, Clash of Clans, Snapchat, Vine, and all the top 50 apps I hardly use but which I want anyways, just so I can show off, fit in and feel acceptable!

:-)

Posted via CB10

Um, yeah......I see where this is headed.

Everyone form a single line.

Meds in the right hand

and pick up your shot of Tequila on your way out.

This is just one of many rumors until BlackBerry decides to release information.
    07-17-15 12:57 PM
    I don't understand how people with forum experience can be surprised when there are rumors and speculation. It's mostly what the internet is. I presume we are making someone money by coming here and loading pages. You could try making a rule that no rumors or contemplation or speculation is allowed, but it would probably shut this site down. As with most of life, we of course should take forums with a grain of salt. I still enjoy them.
    07-17-15 04:26 PM
    We won't know until BlackBerry says what they are doing. Even if they switch 100% to Android, they will still have to support BB10 for a long period of time. It will be dead at that point but supported. The question is, with the uncertainty of the future of the platform, no comments on the rumors making them appear to lean towards being true, how many existing customers will wait out the next iPhone, Galaxy Note, etc launches happening before this, especially the Z line existing customers and businesses? BES customers can go with anything now, and don't have to wait for BlackBerry to figure out or divulge what the fate of BB10 is. I'm going to evaluate the iPhone launch, and the Note launch and decide what to do. My Z30 doesn't have the LTE bands needed for T-Mobile's expanding LTE coverage, and I'm tired of workarounds to still not have 100% apps, etc. BlackBerry can either explain to the public what they are doing by those times, or I'll take their silence as they don't have a plan and more BlackBerry as usual.

Posted via Z30
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-18-15 06:34 AM
    You've not seen the threads about the "mandatory" updates that ignored that setting?

Not so "done" after all.

Posted via CB10
    And now they've been sending updates to 10.3.2 which you can't downgrade back from. Mandatory android update confirmed. Only solution is to keep your phone in airplane mode from now on.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-09-15 11:17 PM
    so details are coming but who knows when?lol
    As if BlackBerry would want to lose the small sales they have right now at least...
    I am sure that the fanbase will react well to an announcement that future BB10 development won't happen.
    Those Passport Silver Editions will just fly off the shelves and everybody will want to buy one, given such an announcement.

I am no insider, but let's be real:
    BB10 is a huge failure in the market place.
    So huge that Chen can't even sell a million phones per quarter...
    08-10-15 07:35 AM
    As if BlackBerry would want to lose the small sales they have right now at least...
    I am sure that the fanbase will react well to an announcement that future BB10 development won't happen.
    Those Passport Silver Editions will just fly off the shelves and everybody will want to buy one, given such an announcement.

I am no insider, but let's be real:
    BB10 is a huge failure in the market place.
    So huge that Chen can't even sell a million phones per quarter...
    You just reminded me of HP TouchPad fire sale. What a fire sale it was.
    08-10-15 03:58 PM
    If Blackberry adds Google services I must dump the Blackberry. The reason is that Google Play services is THE spyware, the best of them all.
    08-10-15 04:28 PM
    As usual, no BB10 phone will suddenly stop working. Even a day-one Z10 won't just stop working because BlackBerry might release (let alone completely switch) an Android powered phone in the near future. Especially considering BlackBerry is a professional supplier for enterprise and businesses, they'll keep caring for the already sold BB10 devices used by their enterprise customers. Just like it is still somewhat the case for legacy BBOS devices.

Just for the record, I know a few people who still use older phones and are fine with it. A colleague of mine still has an iPhone 3, I know a guy who still uses a Symbian powered Nokia 808 and the list goes on, heck another collegue just recently baffled me when he wanted to show me his BlackBerry - and pulled out a battered white Bold 9000 out of his pocket. As long as you are fine with the features and functionality the phone delivers, there usually isn't a reason at all to upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 12:31 AM
40 12