11-04-14 04:01 PM
634 ... 23456 ...
tools
    there are already full duplex VOIP apps for the blackberry, one I have been using for a short while is MobileVOIP, available in appworld... i use it to call UK from USA, and have used in in the Caribbean to call both USA and UK all over wifi and very very low costs.
    Viber is free.
    MobileVoip, which you've posted about fairly often recently, is not.
    Also, Viber means you can call the other person and they can call you as well.
    Not anywhere near as simple as Viber or Skype.
    MobileVoip is not anywhere near as good a solution for people with the option of Viber or Skype for both callers.
    03-30-12 01:13 PM
    I respond to a post about full duplex voip and state there is already a solution...

So this offends your sensitivies why?.. this forum exists to help people, and whether we like it or not, bbos is the last platform to get true voip solutions, and as a frequent international traveller it is a long needed capability for me... so there are many thousands of BB users waiting for this service...and are unaware that there IS a solution so i make no apologies if my post helps someone save some money on international calling!

Regardless, being smart you will already be aware that skype is not a VOIP solution for BB.. after all, anything that requires a gateway call cannot be truly termed VOIP .. try using VZ/skype from say Antigua and see what happens

And while yes viber/viber calls are free.. if I spend $2000 to buy my mother a laptop/internet or cellphone & plan and put viber on it then sure the calls can be "free" ... and not to mention that it is not even available as yet.

However MobileVOIP on my 9930 can call the 4 billion phonelines in the world right now, and, at $0.03 to connect and < $0.01/min then its as free as i need... i saved about $300 in the last two weeks alone... Vs paying $1.99/min from Caribbean

Look, there will be an increasing number of voip apps now that sip clients are supported, and tbh, the more the merrier... but dont smack down something that actually works.. that is plain..well.. you figure it out.

An incoming number would be nice.. so i will look forward to reading real reviews of Viber calling from BB to international landlines (and the reverse) and the costs & quality thereof... until then, dont smack down the possibility of folks saving money

Viber is free.
    MobileVoip, which you've posted about fairly often recently, is not.
    Also, Viber means you can call the other person and they can call you as well.
    Not anywhere near as simple as Viber or Skype.
    MobileVoip is not anywhere near as good a solution for people with the option of Viber or Skype for both callers.
    MobileVOIP likes this.
    03-30-12 01:59 PM
    boo skype!

go VIBER!

03-30-12 02:12 PM
    I respond to a post about full duplex voip and state there is already a solution...

So this offends your sensitivies why?.. this forum exists to help people, and whether we like it or not, bbos is the last platform to get true voip solutions, and as a frequent international traveller it is a long needed capability for me... so there are many thousands of BB users waiting for this service...and are unaware that there IS a solution so i make no apologies if my post helps someone save some money on international calling!

Regardless, being smart you will already be aware that skype is not a VOIP solution for BB.. after all, anything that requires a gateway call cannot be truly termed VOIP .. try using VZ/skype from say Antigua and see what happens

And while yes viber/viber calls are free.. if I spend $2000 to buy my mother a laptop/internet or cellphone & plan and put viber on it then sure the calls can be "free" ... and not to mention that it is not even available as yet.

However MobileVOIP on my 9930 can call the 4 billion phonelines in the world right now, and, at $0.03 to connect and < $0.01/min then its as free as i need... i saved about $300 in the last two weeks alone... Vs paying $1.99/min from Caribbean

Look, there will be an increasing number of voip apps now that sip clients are supported, and tbh, the more the merrier... but dont smack down something that actually works.. that is plain..well.. you figure it out.

An incoming number would be nice.. so i will look forward to reading real reviews of Viber calling from BB to international landlines (and the reverse) and the costs & quality thereof... until then, dont smack down the possibility of folks saving money
    So you spam every similar post with ads for MobileVOIP, and when I suggest that Viber or Skype would be a preferred option you throw your toys out of the pram?
    Ok, carry on.
    Just pointing out that people want better options than a one way VOIP non free solution, which you're pushing as the best option, when for many if not most people, its not.
    Your figures are also way off by the way, 2000 dollars for the phone and plan?
    03-30-12 02:49 PM
    lol dude, you seriously need to relax... this is neither politics nor religion.. its a freaking app.

Vibe is not the holy grail of solutions however i stated I look forward to its eventual release... hey, you never know .. it may be a decent alternative but until its released you wont know... All i know is that I and saving money right now

oh the numbers?.. yes you are right, they are off.. current rates on ATT would be $199 for a phone and $2400 over two year commitment for the plan.. so call that $2599

..and thats why its not the holy grail

Your figures are also way off by the way, 2000 dollars for the phone and plan?
    MobileVOIP likes this.
    03-30-12 04:39 PM
    Will this VOIP app be full duplex?
    At this stage, Viber's messenger (text messaging) system is almost ready and working great. However, Viber's VoIP (calling) system is much trickier since there are limitations in Blackberry itself that make implementing VoIP very complex, but we're working hard these days to overcome these obstacles and also include VoIP
    03-31-12 03:23 AM
    At this stage, Viber's messenger (text messaging) system is almost ready and working great. However, Viber's VoIP (calling) system is much trickier since there are limitations in Blackberry itself that make implementing VoIP very complex, but we're working hard these days to overcome these obstacles and also include VoIP
    I appreciate that and i'm eagerly watching out for a good VOIP app for the blackberry, but this didn't really answer my question about full/half duplex.

There are numerous VOIP apps out there that are cross platform but (with the exception of Mobilevoip, thanks for mentioning it guys, no need to fight ) they are all half-duplex, rendering them useless in my opinion, i can just as well record a voicenote and send it, wait for one back etc... it's the same principle.

Full duplex allows for real conversation, back and forth in real time without interruption (as you have with half duplex, only hearing the middle of the sentence, completely losing the beginning cause the software hasn't picked it up)

I am aware that full duplex is a large project in terms of financing it and server resources but one the blackberry platform seriously needs.
    I don't know what backend you use for VOIP (custom created or licensed) but i know a full duplex engine for blackberry is available (BlackBerry VoIP - Mobile VoIP clients for BlackBerry).

I'm not telling you guys what to do, just stating my thoughts. Keep up the good work Viber! I'm looking forward to testing the app once it's out.
    Last edited by wout000; 03-31-12 at 05:48 AM.
    llch81 likes this.
    03-31-12 05:39 AM
    Don't tell me that you will release the app without VoIP function. I won't be Viber anymore
    03-31-12 05:53 AM
    Don't tell me that you will release the app without VoIP function. I won't be Viber anymore
    The VoIP part is still being baked.. of course they'll release it, but not now. On a software development perspective, I think Viber is trying to stabilize the messaging "module" first before the VoIP. It's easier to debug and repair one module than debuging both and eventually messing up the App... and a lot of unhappy customers and riot .

As good ol' Thor said : "We're not baking Cookies".
    03-31-12 08:26 AM
    I am still waiting this app.
    I wish you finish this app soon and not have any problem.

Cheer!!!
    03-31-12 11:09 PM
    @wout000 -

We are working to bring VoIP real-time conversations to Blackberry. This means full duplex
    However, as I mentioned numerous times, implementing VoIP on most Blackberry devices and OS versions is not an easy task. We're working around the clock to make progress with this and once we have news, we'll let you know.
    wout000 likes this.
    04-01-12 03:20 AM
    -- double --
    -- see post above --
    04-01-12 03:21 AM
    that might be the case but ive been hearing the same talk 4 ages COMING SOON!!! but dont seem 2 b coming @ all. no point having viber if it dont have voip i thinking of moving to htc like most ov my mates 2 b hones i think blackberry are just not what they are made out to be

lee
    04-02-12 06:43 PM
    Don't. Worry. Voip. Full duplex is possible with os 5.0 till the last os.

Enjoy DelftEo
    04-02-12 09:18 PM
    We never said Viber will not have VoIP, we merely said that it's still under development (unlike messaging), since it's much more technologically complex.

We are working on it, and will keep updating our fans once we have more news ourselves.
    04-03-12 11:49 AM
    Viper team i just wanna say thanks for creating a crackberry account and for making your app available for us BB/PB users

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Crackberry Forum App
    Last edited by DeonADB; 04-04-12 at 07:21 AM.
    04-03-12 12:21 PM
    Our pleasure (and duty!) to be here
    04-04-12 03:10 AM
    Can't wait!
    04-06-12 12:51 PM

We love to hear this! Can you PM me your username? Thanks!
    04-06-12 12:53 PM
    Till now only hear some rumors but see nothing
    I can wait.
    And I can test, but.....

Enjoy DelftEo
    04-06-12 10:33 PM
    Is it too late to register for beta testing?
    04-07-12 11:32 AM
    @otacon - I believe the betas are closed.
    04-07-12 11:36 AM
    Are there any news Viber Team? Can't wait to have Viber on my BB!
    04-07-12 01:40 PM
    I am all confused now: When you release Viber to the public, either beta or final version... Will VoIP be included? Or are you releasing those features in different phases?
    I do not know whether you are waiting for VoIP to be ready or just for the messaging application to be as good as possible before launch and then keep developing VoIP for a later deploy.
    04-07-12 03:19 PM
    As we explained, the beta phase is about to be over very soon (the user base for the beta testing is already closed), and then we will deliver the app for RIM's final review. Once that's over, Viber should be officially released to AppWorld.

We apologize for the delay, and rest assured that it is also in our huge interest to release it ASAP.

About VoIP - we will probably be releasing this in different phases, due to the very complex nature of VoIP integration on most Blackberry devices.
    luancuvi likes this.
    04-08-12 04:59 PM
634 ... 23456 ...