There are reports on Endgadget that Verizon is in talks with Wind to buy the mobile company
    Here is the short article
    Competition in the Canadian cellphone space is on shaky ground when Wind Mobile faces an uncertain future. If The Globe and Mail's sources are accurate, however, Wind may get a lifeline from an unexpected source: Verizon. The US carrier has reportedly held "exploratory" talks for a possible takeover of Wind that would help the Canadian firm bid in the upcoming 700MHz auction, improving its chances against local giants Bell, Rogers and Telus. Mobilicity is also a potential acquisition target following Telus' failed buyout, according to the tipsters. None of the involved parties are commenting at this stage, although Verizon couldn't just walk into the Canadian market. The provider would have to deal with foreign ownership rules as well as the investment limits of its Vodafone partnership -- and neither obstacle is likely to disappear overnight.
    What do our Canadian friends think of this?
    06-17-13 02:58 PM
    Interesting...
    And I hadn't heard that the Telus purchase of Mobilicity had failed. Must have missed that somehow.

Thanks for posting!
    06-17-13 03:04 PM
    I'd support it if it would eliminate international roaming LOL
    bmccall04 likes this.
    06-17-13 03:05 PM
    I'd support it if it would eliminate international roaming LOL
    It might limit OS updates!
    habs_fan, 00stryder and Bobcat665 like this.
    06-17-13 03:13 PM
    WIND's issue isn't so much that it's unprofitable, it's that it's saddled with $750M debt due to the previous owner, Globalive, mortgaging themselves to the hilt to get it off the ground. Rid them off the debt and they're a profitable concern and that's exactly what Verizon is looking at. They reckon it will cost them somewhere in the region of $1B to buy and upgrade the network, not chump change by any reasoning but certainly affordable to someone like Big Red. Their problem is that there are quite a few suitors with deep pockets that have been sniffing around for a few months now, one of those rumoured is AT&T. Also rumoured to be or confirmed as interested are Vodafone (UK), Telenor (Norway) and Catalyst (Canada). Even Globalive, the reason why WIND is in the mess it's in today, is trying to position itself as a serious buyer too. There is an upside to WIND, most see it as a reasonable investment, that is sadly lacking with the virtually bankrupt Mobilicity. I would imagine that whomever wins the eventual bidding war will likely make a move on the smaller company too, it just makes sense.
    06-17-13 03:20 PM
    Some more news on this topic:

Verizon takes aim at telecom Big 3 with possible Wind Mobile bid - Business - CBC News

I hope they do it, but my fear is that instead of 3 ****** companies, we'll have 4 all charging $50+ for their plans.
    06-26-13 02:07 PM
    So eventually we'll see Verizon branded phones in Canada - eh?
    06-26-13 03:08 PM
    It might limit OS updates!
    Just buy a big three sim card for $5. Well worth the trade off.
    06-26-13 07:31 PM
    Be nice to see the big three get some WIND knocked out of their sales.
    06-26-13 11:53 PM
    It might actually be a good idea, given that Verizon would stabilize their position in the market further. I just hope it wouldn't change the prices, if ever they're thinking about doing so. Let's hope that it would be a good change for Wind Mobile.

US Telecom
    08-26-13 01:30 AM