01-21-14 07:57 AM
88 1234
tools
    Yeah, phones get upgrades every now and then, and we come to the point where older hardware just can't support newer software..

But I would have expected such a thing to happen later, not being left out on two whatever.X releases on a device that will launch less than a year apart from the first one.

I would have expected something like that with the Z10 and Z60(?).

Specially when they included the piece of hardware on a now ancient device.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    09-19-13 11:12 PM
    The market for bbry is tiny, the market for a 5" bbry is even tinier. Has nothing to do with Apple, and can't for the life of me figure why that is the fall back argument
    Read what he said

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 11:12 PM
    Yeah, phones get upgrades every now and then, and we come to the point where older hardware just can't support newer software..

But I would have expected such a thing to happen later, not being left out on two whatever.X releases on a device that will launch less than a year apart from the first one.

I would have expected something like that with the Z10 and Z60(?).

Why would they hold back features on a new phone? I'm not getting the logic in this thread

Posted via CB10
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    09-19-13 11:13 PM
    It's not the same port as the pb as confirmed in the tweet by Micheal clewley in this thread

Posted via CB10
    You realize that they make USB host ports in different shapes correct?

The PlayBook had a USB host port from years ago. When did I ever say it was still the same shape? I didn't.

Keep trying to defending it all you want, but the fact of the mater is the PlayBook had the required hardware. The Z10, Q10 and Q5 do not.
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    09-19-13 11:13 PM
    I have tried it with my Dev Alpha C running 10.2 and it doesn't work. I don't believe the leaked software would have the feature in the first place. So that might change in the future.

I use a powered USB host cable set up with my Nexus 4 nearly everyday. Such a useful feature.
    And nexus 4 lacks things like LTE, sd card support, and decent internal memory.

Not every phone is going to have every feature you want, most people will never use usb host, but now they are adding it to their latest phone and people are ********.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 11:19 PM
    Why would they hold back features on a new phone? I'm not getting the logic in this thread

Posted via CB10
    That's it! They shouldn't have to do it!

If they had included a slightly better antenna (the one the Q uses, and the Q was just a couple of months ahead of the Z), or a USB port like the PB's we would all be golden. The tech already existed at the time, and there is no justifying they did not include it, unless they didn't think those features were relevant up until now.

It's been almost 8 months, now, and we are starting to see some considerable fragmentation.

Will the Z10 even be able to boot BB11, or will it need 3GB of RAM?

I feel betrayed, was an early adopter and now I'm paying the price (again, lol). I'm going to sleep, I'm starting to spew out nonsense.
    Have a good night, guys.

09-19-13 11:19 PM

If they had included a slightly better antenna (the one the Q uses, and the Q was just a couple of months ahead of the Z), or a USB port like the PB's we would all be golden. The tech already existed at the time, and there is no justifying they did not include it, unless they didn't think those features were relevant up until now.

It's been almost 8 months, now, and we are starting to see some considerable fragmentation.

I feel betrayed, was an early adopter and now I'm paying the price (again, lol). I'm going to sleep.
    Have a good night, guys.

That is the thing. BlackBerry knew USB host mode ports existed. They put them in the PlayBook years ago. They could have effortlessly and cheaply added a USB host port to all BB10 phones, but they didn't do it.

Like you said, there really isn't any justifying that.
    09-19-13 11:28 PM

I feel betrayed, was an early adopter and now I'm paying the price (again, lol). I'm going to sleep, I'm starting to spew out nonsense.
    Have a good night, guys.

the fact of the matter is that Z10 was in works for more than an year before BB10 hit the market..Q10 evolved very late in the game. If you go by the leaks Z10 was leaked almost an year ago before it's debut
    09-19-13 11:54 PM
    That is the thing. BlackBerry knew USB host mode ports existed. They put them in the PlayBook years ago. They could have effortlessly and cheaply added a USB host port to all BB10 phones, but they didn't do it.

Like you said, there really isn't any justifying that.
    OTG comes with baggage of security risks and most corporations won't want it. BBRY is not Android where they can simply fire and forget..they need to add new API's to their BES services, educate the customers, roll out and ensure there are no gaps otherwise it could hurt their reputation. when you are hooked to BES server it is like you are on a intranet..and that has been a conscious decision on BBRY's part to delay it
    09-20-13 12:01 AM
    OTG comes with baggage of security risks and most corporations won't want it. BBRY is not Android where they can simply fire and forget..they need to add new API's to their BES services, educate the customers, roll out and ensure there are no gaps otherwise it could hurt their reputation. when you are hooked to BES server it is like you are on a intranet..and that has been a conscious decision on BBRY's part to delay it
    So why are they putting it on the z30???
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    09-20-13 12:03 AM
    Totally agree. Beside, let's not oversimplify the case of not putting USB OTG in their firsts BB10 phones. There are probably several different reasons why they haven't done so, and why they did with the PlayBook.

From my perspective, and it was initially BlackBerry's as well, the PlayBook was a companion to the BlackBerry, and a centralised microcomputer to get things done efficiently and quickly, with flexibility. OTG goes in that direction. Seing today that still not many users actually need this feature, and with cloud storage taking more place, they probably didn't think it was worth the added manufacturing price, especially since BB10 was badly needed and early. Beside, this needs coding, not just hardware.

See how new functions are added on BB10 with each update, and you see how this OS evolves, eventually bringing back OTG, maybe because of a resurgence, or because it is now standard in their USB comm chip, or that it is simply really cheap to add it today. And with several new phones, be it Android, BlackBerry, iOS, Windows, coming out every couple of months, it's just normal that some stuff can't be updated to the last scent.

There MUST be a point somewhere where one phone doesnt have it, and the next one, even if it comes out really soon after it, has it. That's just the way technology works today, like it or not.

And on a more general view of things: please consider that you don't always NEED the very last stuff that just came out. If you do, please hand over the money, that's it.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 12:29 AM
    To me z10 is still just actually a beta device to develop the platform on. You can't always just release a perfect device at the start because you need feedback from real customers to continue improving your device.

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 likes this.
    09-20-13 01:07 AM
    What a shame. They spent all this time including USB support and miracast support in the 10.2 SDK and nobody will have a device to take advantage of it.

Let's be realistic. The market for 5" devices is freaking tiny. Couple that with the fact that the market for BlackBerry devices is tiny. Can't even target existing users, this is as good as dead. Such an incredible shame that this company failed because of incompetent management.

Posted via CB10
    Duude. Go grab a coffee or something.

There's plenty of market for 5" devices. Heck - the majority of Android devices being sold are between 4.5" and 5.5". It's all the rage these days, and after you've tried the Z30, you'll know why. It's fantastic not to have to pinch to zoom absolutely everything.

It's a great size, a great devices and the added functions such as those mentioned in this thread only make it even more valuable.

So chill out, and go buy a Z30
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-20-13 01:16 AM
    the fact of the matter is that Z10 was in works for more than an year before BB10 hit the market..Q10 evolved very late in the game. If you go by the leaks Z10 was leaked almost an year ago before it's debut
    This is true, and those under NDA know it to be so
    09-20-13 01:20 AM
    OK, I'm having a hard time understanding the hardware limitations for th z10 and q10.

I work for a major Canadian Corporation that uses many BlackBerry devices and at our BlackBerry training session 2 weeks ago, the BlackBerry traner indicated that usb host support will be there for z10's and q10s. The answer was in reponse to use of presentation files. The trainer from BlackBerry clearly indicated that the z/q10 devices would support file transfers via a usb stick. There was no mention of the z30 or that this feature would only be available to the z30 since of course at that time none of us had the z30.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    09-20-13 01:37 AM
    Didn't they put somewhere that on some devices you would need a dock to use this feature? I think it was in the roadmap, I thought that was the reason they never released an official dock for the Z10 as they wanted to release it with USB and were waiting for the software to support it... oh well, just another disappointment today, headless apps being the biggest one, if developers can't use it easily and effectively it is worthless for us users...

Love my Z10, hate BlackBerry, they keep shooting themselves in the foot...

Posted via CB10
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    09-20-13 01:50 AM
    The most pathetic part of it all is it probably would have cost around 7 cents per unit to equip all BB10 devices with the required hardware to use USB OTG host mode.

The PlayBook had the port, so obviously they knew it existed. They just didn't care. Lol BlackBerry loves to abuse their early adopters. Every existing BB10 user got screwed. USB host mode is a great feature to have.
    I don't know if this 7 cents is even close, I doubt it. It's not always about pure cost of the parts. It takes time to route the part on the pcb. It takes up real estate on the pcb (not the usb connector, but the associated circuitry). It takes power supply with protection in place (resettable fuse). It takes QA time to test. Sometimes during development, you have to drop features to keep to a schedule. I'm not saying this is the case, just that I can tell from your view and your anger that you are not involved in hardware development and not allowing for reality. Sometimes its from thinking its there in prototypes, but finding bugs (trace routed incorrectly, resistor or cap needed, etc) and not able to fully pop the feature in the final product. There are errata documents for many things in electronics that proves this point.

When I bought my phone, I had no idea or expectation of miracast, wif-direct, or USB OTG. I haven't really cared so far, as I have never used this nor planned on it. If they had promised HDMI out at a later date and then said, "oh, can't work", I'd be pissed. But not for the above.
    09-20-13 02:39 AM
    The PlayBook and Z30 contains mini AB usb port which is a requirement for usb otg while the rest of the BlackBerry 10 phones contains mini B usb port which is not supported hardware wise for usb otg, it is in the leaked 10.2 OSs afaik but will require a dock.

Z10 has 10.2 but not the required usb port,

PlayBook has the required usb port but not Bb10

Posted via CB10
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    09-20-13 03:05 AM
    Btw z10 stl100-2 has been certified for wifi direct , but it won't be released in 10.2, I assume in 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 03:06 AM
    The market for bbry is tiny, the market for a 5" bbry is even tinier. Has nothing to do with Apple, and can't for the life of me figure why that is the fall back argument
    Rethorical : "The market for BlackBerry WAS tiny and gets WIDER with 5" BlackBerry offering".
    09-20-13 04:48 AM
    Forget the Z10 ever existed, its finished.

Remember... the UK is one of Blackberry's "biggest" market, and the UK has spoken.

Phones4u is the retailer that did a launch with some celeb and had ques outside, there were images all over crackberry because Blackberry had "one" line.
    Pixie Lott Launches Phones 4u BlackBerry Z10 White Exclusive

Now... Phones4u & Carphonewarehouse have removed the Z10 from their website:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ehouse-851331/
    09-20-13 05:17 AM
    PlayBook has the required usb port but not Bb10
    So from this, if I gather correctly, the feature was never enabled for the Playbook in the end. Is USB host not a standard feature yet?

Posted via keyboard bearing Q10
    09-20-13 06:15 AM
    Can this sort of thing be enabled on the Z10 with a powered dock accessory? From what I can gather, the difference in the ports is that one is providing power, the other is not. Could a dock, plugged into the port and to a power source, theoretically give the port the ability to do this? As a desktop replacement, the Z10 and BB10 could work well with a dock accessory and if this accessory can accept full size USB connections and support USB OTG because of this, I think that would be more than OK.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    09-20-13 07:13 AM
    OK, I'm having a hard time understanding the hardware limitations for th z10 and q10.

I work for a major Canadian Corporation that uses many BlackBerry devices and at our BlackBerry training session 2 weeks ago, the BlackBerry traner indicated that usb host support will be there for z10's and q10s. The answer was in reponse to use of presentation files. The trainer from BlackBerry clearly indicated that the z/q10 devices would support file transfers via a usb stick. There was no mention of the z30 or that this feature would only be available to the z30 since of course at that time none of us had the z30.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    LOL and you believed him?!?! Hey BB10 is coming to the PlayBook too, oh wait!

Posted via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    09-20-13 09:37 AM
    Z10 owners to Playbook owners:
    Stop whining, PBOS is doomed, get a BB10 device already and get with the times.

Q10 owners to Z10 owners:
    Stop whining, if you really need Miracast, get a Q10.

Z30 owners to both Z10 & Q10 owners:
    Stop whining, if you really need USB OTG, get a Z30.

[X**] owners to Z30 owners:
    Stop whining, if you really need a 1080p screen, get a X**.

The pattern I see here is, each new device has something over the previous...

Blackberry10 was SUPPOSED to be the SAME experience on all devices, the ONLY thing that was supposed to differentiate each device was FORM FACTOR.

Well that all went out the window fast.
    needforbbx and CyberMan2013 like this.
    09-20-13 10:07 AM
88 1234