09-27-13 03:48 AM
30 12
tools
    Not surprised about iOS but BB10 is only fractional points behind Android - basically on the same level.

Usability test published by Pfeiffer Consulting puts BB10 3rd only marginally after Android-uability-test-smartphone-os-1380105686-0-0.png

Link to document: http://www.pfeifferreport.com/v2/wp-...e-Shootout.pdf

Looks like BB10 stacks up pretty good compared to the bashing BB is getting. With 10.2 and subsequent releases this should improve further.
    rlsmith999 likes this.
    09-25-13 11:04 AM
    The issue with this study (other than being a blatantly pro iOS) is that it assumes people 'expect' things that are available in iOS (i.e. a home/back button). Of course, something you are familiar with is more useable (initially) than something new.

"Blackberry 10 on the other hand has a
    different set of serious user experience
    problems.
    It offers most of the key usability
    features one would expect, and experiments
    with an original way of layering different
    services,
    but the implementation is such
    that, at least in the current release,
    the frustration created by incoherently
    implemented features outweighs the
    benefits of the new system.
    No Home
    button? No Back button
    , or only in certain
    application areas? What were they thinking?
    In short, Blackberry 10 turns out be more
    frustrating and less efficient than older
    releases, even for die-hard Blackberry
    usersyet doesnt deliver the slickness and
    fluidity (not to mention the apps) iOS and
    Android can provide.
    It is sad to say, but in terms of overall user
    experience, neither Blackberry 10 nor
    Windows Phone 8 are currently in a position
    to challenge the two market leaders."
    Gray likes this.
    09-25-13 11:20 AM
    Interesting, but it seems to me that the measures used all start from an premise that the current standard is the desired standard. So of course iOS rates higher. It seems to me that it is is saying 'going from iOS to... X you'll experience these frustations?

A better test would yield different results, how would you improve what they did?

Ricocan
    09-25-13 11:22 AM
    It seems this test really looked at things that IOS excels at not vs what other platforms offered. My point. User experience: they mention a category regarding things that annoy a user. Why would IOS and the keyboard not be vaulted to the lead? Of all the OS's tested it has the weakest typing experience.

Also, I imagine that Windows and BB10 being new, would elicit some minor learning curve issues and slow downs. Even though it is not an excuse, it still matters when you are comparing to known entities.

In the end, BB10 would never garner a top score, perception is way too low for the testers to overcome it. So I am not surprised, I have 3 of the tested 4 OS's, my results are different ( and yes, there is bias)
    09-25-13 11:31 AM
    You can't, it's all subjective and (as you correctly noted) relative... It's amazing that someone can get paid to 'measure' and 'quantify' such things.

Edit: in reply to Ricocan

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 11:32 AM
    We do not look at features, we do not
    compare cutting-edge options and
    gadgets, we only look at aspects
    that have a direct impact on the
    day-to-day user experience of an
    average, non-technical user.

The aspects we have surveyed and
    rated are the following:
    cognitive load, efficiency,
    customization, as well as user
    experience friction. Based on
    the results from these benchmarks
    we have then established an overall
    Mobile Operating System User
    Experience Index presented at the
    end of this document.

Blackberry 10 on the other hand has a
    different set of serious user experience
    problems
    . It offers most of the key usability
    features one would expect, and experiments
    with an original way of layering different
    services, but the implementation is such
    that, at least in the current release,
    the frustration created by incoherently
    implemented features outweighs the
    benefits of the new system
    . No Home
    button? No Back button, or only in certain
    application areas? What were they thinking?
    In short, Blackberry 10 turns out be more
    frustrating and less efficient than older
    releases, even for die-hard Blackberry
    users—yet doesn’t deliver the slickness and
    fluidity (not to mention the apps) iOS and
    Android can provide.
    It is sad to say, but in terms of overall user
    experience, neither Blackberry 10 nor
    Windows Phone 8 are currently in a position
    to challenge the two market leaders.

Basically they are only looking at the UI. Nothing to do with features or apps.
    09-25-13 11:40 AM
    No matter how this study was done it's still all subjective.
    09-25-13 11:50 AM
    I find the reverse to be true ... the easiest phone OS to use in my experience have been Windows Phone and BB10. I'm not a previous iOS user therefore I actually found iOS to be less than intuitive. And I always find that although Android is not that difficult to master, it is still quite messy and incoherent in places.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    09-25-13 12:21 PM
    Ironically, Back button indeed exists, it's baked into the app.

Such a man should not be taken with more than a grain of salt. Complaining about the lack of home button should be a warning

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    09-25-13 12:40 PM
    The issue with this study (other than being a blatantly pro iOS) is that it assumes people 'expect' things that are available in iOS (i.e. a home/back button).
    Actually iOS does not have a back "button". . .that's Android. So, to amend your claim, the piece seems to assume that people expect the UI conventions of the platforms which own 80% of the market, which doesn't seem to be an unreasonable assumption.
    09-25-13 12:52 PM
    Actually iOS does not have a back "button". . .that's Android. So, to amend your claim, the piece seems to assume that people expect the UI conventions of the platforms which own 80% of the market, which doesn't seem to be an unreasonable assumption.
    Technically, I meant home "or" back. Although a home button can be interpreted as 'back out' button so whatever.

I get your point though, as previously even BlackBerry's had home and back (and menu) buttons. Nevertheless, it's still relative to whatever the person was using before (if anything), rather than a bogus absolute measure of 'useability'. If there is anything humans can do well it is adapt, and sometimes a little adaptation can result in greater efficiency.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 01:38 PM
    Still using up real estate for dedicated buttons is stupid. How come people don't understand that? Virtual buttons, ok, I can understand, but hard buttons?

I wonder if they'd have 'got it' if they saw the updated tutorials in 10.2? So if you miss a gesture, there is guidance so that whatever "friction" that might frustrate someone, the guidance should resolve that quickly.
    mrzeolite likes this.
    09-25-13 02:50 PM
    I believe the bb10 UI is ahead of the game. I like no home or back button. This UI really is about the flow. I have an iPad, and my son has an S4. Both are fine devices, with great capabilities and awesome apps. But the UI on each of them is not nearly as efficient as on my Z10 IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 10:57 PM
    Interesting, but it seems to me that the measures used all start from an premise that the current standard is the desired standard. So of course iOS rates higher. It seems to me that it is is saying 'going from iOS to... X you'll experience these frustations?

A better test would yield different results, how would you improve what they did?

Ricocan
    This is the problem. The majority of consumers are so brainwashed (not bashing any one company) that they dont even know what they want, they have to be told... so having open ended questions wont work, but when you ask questions based on current iterations it limits innovation. I personally think that the no home button is PERFECT, it is MUCH more fluid... but if people dont know this it isnt something they would suggest.

You also have to take into account that many people dont know WP and BB10, and if the majority of people thattook this study are using iOS the BB10 or Android Swype keyboard may seem crazy to them... when in fact it is MUCH better than arguably the worst os keyboard available.
    09-25-13 11:14 PM
    BB10 has a home button, it's called swiping up.
    09-25-13 11:34 PM
    BB10 has a home button, it's called swiping up.
    That's not a button. That is a gesture.
    09-26-13 12:22 AM
    I think this test was performed by Michelle Pfeiffer Consulting.

But in all seriousness, I really think the test group demographics need to be stated as well. Let's face it, I have seen a ton of the older generation using iPhones in Asia. Folks mothers and grandmothers are using iPhones.

Also did they state the nature of the tests performed to come to this conclusion? Are the tests relevant?

Sorry...I tried to view the pdf on my playbook but it came up blank for me. Not sure what the issue is, but I couldn't read it.
    09-26-13 12:41 AM
    I think the test is fair, users dont exist in a vacuum, they bring their previous experiences and expectations to any UI.

Gestures are powerful but non-obvious, there is no reason to start swiping away at a device if you dont know that it has gestures, on the other hand buttons can be seen and experimented with.
    09-26-13 01:16 AM
    Meh what a silly study President obama couldn't even make a call on IOS because he's a blackberry guy. And yet we all have iphone friends that have no idea how to unlock our z10s.
    09-26-13 01:40 AM
    I think the test is fair, users dont exist in a vacuum, they bring their previous experiences and expectations to any UI.

Gestures are powerful but non-obvious, there is no reason to start swiping away at a device if you dont know that it has gestures, on the other hand buttons can be seen and experimented with.
    Right, which is why the tutorials cannot be skipped during phone setup. Did the test ever indicate that users went through phone setup or the tutorials ? Otherwise, its not a scientific test and bias.
    09-26-13 05:13 PM
    I think this test was performed by Michelle Pfeiffer Consulting.

But in all seriousness, I really think the test group demographics need to be stated as well. Let's face it, I have seen a ton of the older generation using iPhones in Asia. Folks mothers and grandmothers are using iPhones.

Also did they state the nature of the tests performed to come to this conclusion? Are the tests relevant?

Sorry...I tried to view the pdf on my playbook but it came up blank for me. Not sure what the issue is, but I couldn't read it.
    It might have saved to downloads and you were to open it with adobe outside of the browser.
    09-26-13 05:14 PM
    Lack of a home or back button means there's less chance of said button failing. Button!? I don't need no stinking button. Personally I find BB10 easy to use out of the box. It's sophisticated with out being complicated to use. So much so you'll be swiping on another device and wonder why it's not working. That should tell you something.
    09-26-13 05:36 PM
    All these comments about "subjective", "bias", etc may have some truth, but for Blackberry the truth is irrelevant.

The home button has won.
    09-26-13 05:49 PM
    Why does ios get two polls?
    09-26-13 07:04 PM
    Lack of a home or back button means there's less chance of said button failing. Button!? I don't need no stinking button. Personally I find BB10 easy to use out of the box. It's sophisticated with out being complicated to use. So much so you'll be swiping on another device and wonder why it's not working. That should tell you something.
    I'm remembering all the arguments when the storm came out. "Iphone sucks since it doesn't have an answer and end key!" "we have a convenience key!" "we have a menu and back button".

How times have changed...
    09-26-13 07:30 PM
30 12