Phone Unlocking Made Legal | National Review Online

I really hope this passes. The carriers lobbied and argued hard to get the unlocking exemption removed, making unlocking a felony punishable by five years in prison and a 500k fine. And the kicker is, this DMCA decision was made by the Librarian of the Congress!

If anyone can find out when this bill will be up for a vote/debate, please post here. AFAIK, the bill has not come up yet.
    08-14-13 12:32 PM
    lol they cant make up their mind which way to go on this topic.
    08-14-13 12:35 PM
    I think the big carriers got their asinine arguments heard and relied on the fact that the power to make the decision lay in the hands of the LoC: someone you would not expect to be calling this. The carriers probably prepared for a public vote as soon as the White House and the FCC came out against this decision, and are likely to lobby the Hill. So in continuation of the successful WH petition, voters should have their voices heard by letting their reps know how idiotic this ruling was, and how they should vote on this measure when it does come up for a vote.
    08-14-13 12:48 PM
    This whole unlocking thing is the daftest thing i've ever heard of...I didn't even know this was the case for USA, in the UK it seems to be the most normal thing you can get done...my carrier even does it free of charge if yer a monthly user instead of a pay as you go user

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    08-14-13 12:56 PM
    This whole unlocking thing is the daftest thing i've ever heard of...I didn't even know this was the case for USA, in the UK it seems to be the most normal thing you can get done...my carrier even does it free of charge if yer a monthly user instead of a pay as you go user
    It is pretty ridiculous. But the way it works is that you can still get your phone unlocked, but the law now says that you have to go through the carrier. So basically, if they don't want to unlock your phone, you're SOL. As opposed to previously, you could pay $3-10 to private unlockers and get your phone unlocked.

Somehow, the carriers must have convinced the LoC that unlocking would circumvent the contract to pay between a customer and the carrier. It does not. You're still on the hook for making payments for the device/service whether your phone is locked or not.
    08-14-13 01:06 PM

yup, when I worked at Vodafone the policy was pay monthly customers we`d unlock whenever ya like after the cooling off period, for pay as ya go we`d unlock after device was a year old, or for a fee.

Like ya say, most normal thing in the world, heck people used to buy from certain retailers (CPW) because their devices were all unlocked.
    08-14-13 01:11 PM
    It is pretty ridiculous. But the way it works is that you can still get your phone unlocked, but the law now says that you have to go through the carrier. So basically, if they don't want to unlock your phone, you're SOL. As opposed to previously, you could pay $3-10 to private unlockers and get your phone unlocked.

Somehow, the carriers must have convinced the LoC that unlocking would circumvent the contract to pay between a customer and the carrier. It does not. You're still on the hook for making payments for the device/service whether your phone is locked or not.
    Ahh ok I understand this a little bit more now...we still have the choice of going private as there are websites and phone shops all over towns that freely advertise this service...i've had a phone carrier tell me to get it done private once cause it was cheaper than paying 35quid but this was few years ago when it used to cost a fair bit going thru carriers... hope you guys get the choice back soon because at the end of the day, the phone is yours...and if you accidently smashed the screen I doubt the carrier would happily fix it for you based on the fact that it's no longer their responsibility (exc. any actual manufacturing fault)

08-14-13 01:14 PM
    Glad this is up for review...is nothing short of an absolute cockamamie way to (ab)use copyright law.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-14-13 07:21 PM
    Obama administration urges FCC to require carriers to unlock mobile devices - The Washington Post

Nice to see the executive branch taking action too. If this FCC action happens, it really could be good for competition. Take the RFK121LW Z10 and RFP121LW Q10, for example. These two are sold by T-Mobile, and in addition to having all network bands for T-Mobile, they have all the current bands for AT&T as well. So getting one unlocked would allow the buyer to use one on either network. The Q5, if it comes to both AT&T and T-Mobile, will be an even better example because it will be the same model for both carriers.

However...this raises a few questions:

1. Will carriers start charging more for phones (either in upfront price or through monthly rates) to justify having to sell unlocked phones?
    2. Will phones be sold outright unlocked, or will carriers just simplify the process to get an unlock code?
    3, What will become of carrier bloatware? Is this the "software" carriers are trying to use in their "unlocking harms us" argument?
    09-17-13 09:10 PM
    On your questions:

1) Oh you know if they can they will.
    2) I think carrier subsidized phones will still be locked but the process will be easier on the customer (he says hopefully)
    3) That I don't see going away no matter how this works out.

I do have two thoughts though. Would it not just make sense for carriers to sell off-contract phones unlocked and subsidized units locked for as long as the contract is in force or until the customer makes a request (within specific guidelines) and secondly, are there still straight CDMA phones that cannot be unlocked?
    09-17-13 10:09 PM

Fable Publishing: C0012255F
    09-18-13 12:36 AM
    On your questions:

1) Oh you know if they can they will.
    Lol. I agree. But what would their justification for raising prices be? They're trying to incorrectly justify locking phones by saying that unlocking would make it easier for a customer to buy a subsidized phone and bolt. But that's exactly what contracts and ETFs are there to prevent! I fully agree with the principle of contracts (if you get it subsidized, you do so at the terms the carriers set.) Even T-Mobile, which has adopted the no-contract model, makes you pay fully for the phone regardless of whether you stay with them or leave. You get a phone on a down payment, and pay it off affordably (if you stay,) or the entire balance (if you leave, or are just purchasing a device without service.)

And AFAIK, carriers don't have to pay to get the unlock codes. I'm just not understanding what loss they could claim from unlocking. More reps to field and process unlocking requests? Well, just sell the phones factory unlocked then

2) I think carrier subsidized phones will still be locked but the process will be easier on the customer (he says hopefully)
    I'd prefer factory unlocked, but if they make it really easy to unlock that's fine with me too. Bloatware is going to be installed regardless

3) That I don't see going away no matter how this works out.
    Agreed. I just find it funny that what they are defending as "proprietary software worth protecting," others call bloatware

Would it not just make sense for carriers to sell off-contract phones unlocked and subsidized units locked for as long as the contract is in force or until the customer makes a request (within specific guidelines)
    Well, that's how it is right now, generally speaking. But the pro-unlocking movement thought process is that phones should a) either be factory unlocked from the beginning, or b) the specific guidelines for subsidized customers should not be ridiculous. For example...on T-Mobile, you have to wait a certain period of time (40 days?) before you can submit an unlock request. Well, why should I have to wait if I'm on the hook for paying off the phone regardless?

are there still straight CDMA phones that cannot be unlocked?
    Straight CDMA (if you mean ones that weren't CDMALTE+UMTS 900/2100+quad band GSM) can't be unlocked, because there is nothing to unlock. At least for Verizon, their LTE phones (specifically ones with band 13) have to be sold unlocked as a condition of their last upper frequency spectrum purchase. Sprint doesn't have any such restrictions.
    09-18-13 12:58 PM
    LOL i just broke the law a few weeks ago.

smh, this is insane. If i purchase the device, I should be able to do whatever i please with it. Especially with the prices these carriers charge customers for their plans
    09-18-13 01:04 PM
    Wish congress can take up more pressing issue than this

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 08:49 PM
    I really hope they go through with. It would make life so much easier for pretty much everyone.

Posted via BB-Z10. OS 10.2.1.
    01-12-14 10:14 PM
    An update: Senate passes a bill that legalizes cellphone unlocking

This is good news. Hopefully, the two passed versions can be consolidated soon.
    TGR1 and Majestic Lion like this.
    07-16-14 03:07 PM
    An update: Senate passes a bill that legalizes cellphone unlocking

This is good news. Hopefully, the two passed versions can be consolidated soon.
    That is good news. I can't understand how unlocking a phone could be a crime. Doesn't make any sense.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    07-21-14 01:19 AM
    It's done!

?Cellphone unlocking bill passes through the House, heads to the Oval Office

(Well, almost done. The President still has to sign the bill into law, but judging by the "White House" email I just got, it shouldn't take too long.)
    07-25-14 04:18 PM