08-24-14 08:03 PM
311 ... 910111213
tools
    Yes it is still a valid comparison. You actually proved his point.

Car makers have almost caught up to Volvo in safety. Just the way that other manufacturers are catching up to BlackBerry in security.

Although BlackBerry may be the most secure that isn't enough on its own for BlackBerry to succeed. Especially since the others are getting more and more secure.

Volvo may have invented the 3 point seat belt and still be the safest, but everyone the others are catching them. Subaru is one example. So although Volvo may still be the safest that alone isn't enough.

People are looking for a full package, whether it be in cars or phones. While BlackBerry is still the leader in security that's pretty much all they are offering or are perceived to be offering. Security alone isn't going to be enough for BlackBerry to thrive or even survive.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by crazigee; 07-23-14 at 12:10 PM.
    07-23-14 10:45 AM
    Yes it is still a valid comparison. You actually proved his point.

Car makers have almost caught up to Volvo in safety. Just the way that other manufacturers are catching up to BlackBerry in security.

Although BlackBerry may be the most secure that isn't enough on its own for BlackBerry to succeed. Especially since the others are getting more and more secure.

Volvo may have invented the 3 point seat belt and still be the safest, but everyone the others are catching them. Subaru is one example. So although Volvo may still be the safest that alone isn't enough.

People are looking for a full package, whether it be in cars or phones. While BlackBerry is still the leader in security that's pretty much all they are offering or are perceived to be offering. Security alone isn't going to be enough for BlackBerry to thrive or even survive.

Nowhere did I state anything about this aspect having the ability to drive sales. Sales right now are driven by much more superficial reasons. The important ones mostly get ignored. And you can see that in Volvo sales...

But it seems you only got the first 1/3 of what I wrote. You didn't seem to address the rest of what I said at all. Any particular reason for the omission? Just curious...

Edit: FYI, I drive a Ford, I'm not a Volvo fanboy. Just have to point that out since in these forums it seems if I say anything positive about anyone all of a sudden I'm a fanboy...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-23-14 01:00 PM
    Nowhere did I state anything about this aspect having the ability to drive sales. Sales right now are driven by much more superficial reasons. The important ones mostly get ignored. And you can see that in Volvo sales...

But it seems you only got the first 1/3 of what I wrote. You didn't seem to address the rest of what I said at all. Any particular reason for the omission? Just curious...

Edit: FYI, I drive a Ford, I'm not a Volvo fanboy. Just have to point that out since in these forums it seems if I say anything positive about anyone all of a sudden I'm a fanboy...

Yes there is a reason I didn't address the rest of it. Because I just don't get the whole supporting a phone company. It's ridiculous. I might as well start supporting Royale toilet paper instead of Charmin.

A few die hards might "support" BlackBerry. Most people aren't and neither are most companies. With BlackBerry bring perceived as only offering security it isn't going to be enough. Especially as other brands are closing the gap.
    07-23-14 01:07 PM
    Because I just don't the whole supporting a phone company. It's ridiculous. I might as well start supporting Royale toilet paper instead of Charmin.

It's a different concept. Defending the honor of profit seeking corporations, and believing they have your best interest at heart?

I support Palm!
    07-23-14 01:10 PM
    Yes there is a reason I didn't address the rest of it. Because I just don't get the whole supporting a phone company. It's ridiculous. I might as well start supporting Royale toilet paper instead of Charmin.

A few die hards might "support" BlackBerry. Most people aren't and neither are most companies. With BlackBerry bring perceived as only offering security it isn't going to be enough. Especially as other brands are closing the gap.
    Yep, you didn't get it at all... No worries man.

07-23-14 01:12 PM
    It's a different concept. Defending the honor of profit seeking corporations, and believing they have your best interest at heart?

I support Palm!
    It's not only that, when a company builds a product with safety first, even if they can't quantify it with standard tests, you know it's more comprehensive since that's the standard they meet first, not as an afterthought. See my car example again. Most car companies simply try to get rated the "5-star" rating by the NHTSA standards. Anything beyond the minimum required to get 5-stars will not be quantified. So a company that builds their cars for safety first, might actually be exceeding the 5-star standards while the other car companies that make safety an afterthought are just at the bare minimum of the 5-star standard.

Edit: In case it isn't clear, how this relates to smartphones is that even if you say apple and androids all meet a certain certification, since BB makes their phones with security in mind first, then builds features around that, they might actually be exceeding the standards required for those certifications while the competition are just barely meeting the requirements.

moody and lift like this.
    07-23-14 01:16 PM
    Volvo had to go back to the drawing board and redesign the look of their cars. A kleenex box on wheels wasn't selling regardless of how safe it was. Now they have modernized the design it is appealing to younger markets, but before, it was driven by politicians and art history majors.
    07-28-14 09:50 PM
    Good points slagman5. Apple and android don't want to build secure phones. They want to build phones they can extract your data from. Isn't it sad that you buy a phone, pay for a carrier plan and all that isn't enough. The companies that built the phones and the carriers now want to track you and collect as much data from you as they can so they can sell it for even more money. The greed and absolute lack of morals just to get more money from you is sickening.
    moody likes this.
    07-28-14 10:46 PM
    Volvo had to go back to the drawing board and redesign the look of their cars. A kleenex box on wheels wasn't selling regardless of how safe it was. Now they have modernized the design it is appealing to younger markets, but before, it was driven by politicians and art history majors.
    But they still had lots of customers that bought them for safety. Some people care about safety. Just like some people care about privacy and security.
    moody and anon(8908445) like this.
    07-28-14 10:47 PM
    LOL @ art history majors. Good stuff.

But you're right... Volvo did adjust.
    07-29-14 07:17 AM
    It's not only that, when a company builds a product with safety first, even if they can't quantify it with standard tests, you know it's more comprehensive since that's the standard they meet first, not as an afterthought. See my car example again. Most car companies simply try to get rated the "5-star" rating by the NHTSA standards. Anything beyond the minimum required to get 5-stars will not be quantified. So a company that builds their cars for safety first, might actually be exceeding the 5-star standards while the other car companies that make safety an afterthought are just at the bare minimum of the 5-star standard.

Edit: In case it isn't clear, how this relates to smartphones is that even if you say apple and androids all meet a certain certification, since BB makes their phones with security in mind first, then builds features around that, they might actually be exceeding the standards required for those certifications while the competition are just barely meeting the requirements.

I can't really disagree with those points.
    07-29-14 07:26 AM
    But they still had lots of customers that bought them for safety. Some people care about safety. Just like some people care about privacy and security.
    Agreed. They just needed more. So it modernized.
    07-29-14 07:27 AM
    politicians and art history majors.
    Using that logic, I guess Passport will only see those people as customers. A square box with buttons. Pretty similar comparison I believe.
    07-29-14 07:41 AM
    Using that logic, I guess Passport will only see those people as customers. A square box with buttons. Pretty similar comparison I believe.
    I believe you missed then entire point. The point was, a company can make the best product in the world, but if nobody buys it, it makes no difference than if they made a POS. Volvo's car may have been the safest car around, but potential customers don't have safety as a priority it's not going to sell, and investors don't understand "sure we didn't sell any, but it's the safest car in the lot" .
    moody and Admorris like this.
    07-29-14 04:10 PM
    I believe you missed then entire point. The point was, a company can make the best product in the world, but if nobody buys it, it makes no difference than if they made a POS. Volvo's car may have been the safest car around, but potential customers don't have safety as a priority it's not going to sell, and investors don't understand "sure we didn't sell any, but it's the safest car in the lot" .
    I understood your point. You don't get mine. Some people care so much about safety that they bought the Volvo just for the safety. They didn't care what it looked like. Some people buy BlackBerry's for the improved privacy and security you get over the other device makers.
    Informed people do some research and buy things for what they need or want. Germany is going to buy thousands more BlackBerry's for the security that no other company can offer. Some people and some company's by BlackBerry's for the same reason. So again, what did I miss?
    moody likes this.
    07-29-14 04:23 PM
    UPS will be back. It's just a matter of time before something gets ****ed up and someone gets fired. Then they'll regroup and be like "holy molly, bet BlackBerry back here".... lol

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    07-29-14 06:45 PM
    I am looking forward to seeing what BES12 is all about, and my contract renewal coming up in march will hopefully leave me with some good options for a new phone.
    07-29-14 06:56 PM
    I understood your point. You don't get mine. Some people care so much about safety that they bought the Volvo just for the safety. They didn't care what it looked like. Some people buy BlackBerry's for the improved privacy and security you get over the other device makers.
    Informed people do some research and buy things for what they need or want. Germany is going to buy thousands more BlackBerry's for the security that no other company can offer. Some people and some company's by BlackBerry's for the same reason. So again, what did I miss?
    The fact that the company can't survive off with sales in the thousands.
    07-30-14 04:27 AM
    Fiserv and it's 21,000 employees is replacing all BlackBerry's with IPhones.

This is the third largest financial services company in the U.S..

They don't feel like in investing in phones that may no longer be available.
    The attempt to sell BlackBerry last year and the talk of dropping handset production made BlackBerry to risky for the investment they would be making. Can't blame them.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    anon1727506, JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    07-30-14 07:27 AM
    UPS will be back. It's just a matter of time before something gets ****ed up and someone gets fired. Then they'll regroup and be like "holy molly, bet BlackBerry back here".... lol

Posted via CB10
    Very unlikely. That's the standard rebuttal of the BlackBerry faithful each time a company leaves for another platform. How many have actually been hacked? How many have actually returned to BlackBerry?

gebco and techvisor like this.
    07-30-14 08:35 AM
    The fact that the company can't survive off with sales in the thousands.
    Then a phone (Passport) that may only sell thousands should have not been released by BlackBerry then.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-30-14 08:47 AM
    Then a phone (Passport) that may only sell thousands should have not been released by BlackBerry then.
    If the Passport does only sell in the thousands then you're right, it shouldn't have been made. It remains to be seen how well the Passport will perform in sales.

lift and techvisor like this.
    07-30-14 09:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not a chance.
    07-31-14 10:33 AM
    Very unlikely. That's the standard rebuttal of the BlackBerry faithful each time a company leaves for another platform. How many have actually been hacked? How many have actually returned to BlackBerry?

They will be back. A Lot of the other companies that left BlackBerry are returning to blackberry. In the news recently a law firm stated that they were coming back to blackberry. Other markets through the industry are returning or keeping blackberry. Reason being.... security. that's what will drive them all back. UPS will see that also and will be back.

Posted via CB10
    moody and CerveloJohn like this.
    07-31-14 11:11 AM
    They will be back. A Lot of the other companies that left BlackBerry are returning to blackberry. In the news recently a law firm stated that they were coming back to blackberry. Other markets through the industry are returning or keeping blackberry. Reason being.... security. that's what will drive them all back. UPS will see that also and will be back.

Posted via CB10
    I hope you're right and I would like to think so too but I'm not so sure. With Apple now working with IBM, more and more enterprises are going to look at Apple. That scares me.
    07-31-14 09:55 PM
311 ... 910111213