09-28-15 07:14 AM
176 ... 5678
tools
    Don't really want android with BlackBerry services. Just want bb10 with a couple Google services.

Posted via CB10
    TheQuietRioter, Egod101 and phuoc like this.
    09-03-15 07:42 PM
    Don't really want android with BlackBerry services. Just want bb10 with a couple Google services.

Posted via CB10
    I think most here would love to see BB10 continue and for us to be able, if we wanted... to use Google's Mobile Services.

No problem hoping and dreaming... just be "open" to whatever we actually do get.
    09-04-15 02:42 PM
    I think most here would love to see BB10 continue and for us to be able, if we wanted... to use Google's Mobile Services.

No problem hoping and dreaming... just be "open" to whatever we actually do get.
    + 1 for that.

As much as I've enjoyed BB10 OS it just hasn't developed into what I want. If BB10 had Google Play services and unrestricted access to play store apps I would choose to stay on BB10 and I would be totally happy. Now I am doing something I thought I'd never do, I'm considering an android device. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, only time will tell. I hope that Blackberry's consumer android OS is not a closed down but open to all the apps available with all features fully functional. For me a call recorder that works without a hitch will be good deciding factor.
    09-05-15 10:03 AM
    I hope this will happen sooner.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-15 10:17 AM
    So no IFA 2015 announcement yet, I know the conference isn't over. But maybe BlackBerry will announce their plans at earnings?

Posted via CB10
    09-05-15 11:32 AM
    When exactly did BlackBerry add the android runtime. Was it there from the very beginning, I know you could still access it via side load when I got my z30...

What if bb10 with runtime more or less was a way to hold them off to let them figure out some of the security aspects of android before going full android..

After all their reputation on security and privacy is on the line still and going android increases that risk... unless by that statement they are only referring to enterprise aspect of BlackBerry with BES12

Posted via CB10
    09-05-15 08:53 PM
    When exactly did BlackBerry add the android runtime. Was it there from the very beginning, I know you could still access it via side load when I got my z30...

What if bb10 with runtime more or less was a way to hold them off to let them figure out some of the security aspects of android before going full android..

After all their reputation on security and privacy is on the line still and going android increases that risk... unless by that statement they are only referring to enterprise aspect of BlackBerry with BES12

Posted via CB10
    The android runtime was part of pbos and therefore predates bb10. The situation was already really bad for them to even consider doing it.
    09-05-15 11:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    PlayBook OS 2.0, so they're either playing the really long game (which would make BB10 a Springtime for Hitler scenario), or they weren't thinking of a full transition then.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    09-05-15 11:26 PM
    The point is to have android already loaded and not need to download or install it. If the user chooses to factory reset it should still default to Android but be prompted if they rather go with BlackBerry 10. That's the only case of having to wait to download a full OS.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    If it has two ROMs loaded, and frees the space taken up by the one not needed upon selection...?

:-)

  Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...  
    09-07-15 07:25 PM
    If it has two ROMs loaded, and frees the space taken up by the one not needed upon selection...?

:-)

  Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...  
    Yes, exactly. But probably won't happen.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    09-07-15 07:27 PM
    Yes, exactly. But probably won't happen.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Probably won't happen, you're right. But I think it would be the most elegant solution.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 09:57 PM
    Probably won't happen, you're right. But I think it would be the most elegant solution.

Posted via CB10
    It is elegant, but only for the first setup. If they delete the unused system image upon initial selection, then at the next factory reset the system might need to re-download the image to give users the choice again.
    09-08-15 03:19 AM
    Change the thread from "updated" to "speculated". Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Mods, this is long overdue.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 04:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    No the most elegant solution would be the Hypervisor with both full BB10 and Android running at the same time.

But based on BlackBerry's treatment of BB10 over the last eight months or so.... based on what we know of the requirements to have Google Mobile Services certification. The simplest solution is that BB10 fades away and that BlackBerry becomes a full Android OEM. That would have the broadest appeal to the carrier partners and to end users.

Only ones left out in the cold are a few enterprise customers and hardcore BlackBerry users.... not really enough to worry about.
    09-08-15 10:13 AM
    Enterprise customers don't need new hardware, what they need is security patches. Even if BlackBerry goes full Android the customers aren't going to suddenly cancel the contract

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    09-24-15 11:54 PM
    BB did in fact create APK to BAR "converters" already, but they only worked because the Android Runtime was there to actually execute them. If the Runtime went away, none of that code would work.

It is theoretically possible that BB could develop something that developers could use to take their original APK source code and convert it into a BB10 app, much as Microsoft has tried to do for WinPhone, but something like that would take a year or more to develop and would almost certainly take far more money and resources than BB has to spend - and even then, there is absolutely no guarantee that developers would utilize it. Just look at how few utilized the APK-to-BAR converter, which at the end of the day was MUCH less work for them. Most people suspect that Microsoft isn't likely to get very far with their converter either.

Most Devs don't want their name on a poorly converted app that lacks the flavor and features of a native app - it just results in negative reviews, support costs, and sullies their reputation, as we've seen with many converted apps in BB World. That's the same reason why many devs blocked BB10 devices from using their apps in the Amazon Marketplace - they'd rather have fewer users than have users who complained, brought down their ratings, and dragged their names through the mud.
    You are wrong. The reason most apps weren't converted from apk to bar even though it would take them a whole of an hour to do so is big name app ransom. In other words they wanted a lot of money to put apps in bbw.

They don't care about reviews. If they did we wouldn't find still beta versions of Waze and an extremely outdated version of wechat in bbw. Also until today windows phone has a crappy beta version of instagram for almost 2 years now.

To think otherwise would be naive.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 01:00 AM
    You are wrong.
    No, a few exceptions doesn't make my generalization wrong.

The reason most apps weren't converted from apk to bar even though it would take them a whole of an hour to do so is big name app ransom. In other words they wanted a lot of money to put apps in bbw.
    Many devs collected their app ransoms and left.

They don't care about reviews. If they did we wouldn't find still beta versions of Waze and an extremely outdated version of wechat in bbw. Also until today windows phone has a crappy beta version of instagram for almost 2 years now.
    Again, you're talking about apps who either got their money and abandoned their app, or who initially built for BB10 before launch, only to abandon their app once the launch numbers showed that the BB10 platform wasn't going to have sustainable markteshare.

You aren't taking into consideration the several hundred thousdands of apps that never came to BB10 at all - that's what I'm talking about.
    kbz1960 and cgk like this.
    09-25-15 08:17 AM
    Perhaps BlackBerry will let the carrier decide what is installed and then offer images for android/bb10 to switch should you desire to.

If we get lucky they will also open other devices to run android and release the android images for them too, like the passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 12:30 PM
    Perhaps BlackBerry will let the carrier decide what is installed and then offer images for android/bb10 to switch should you desire to.

If we get lucky they will also open other devices to run android and release the android images for them too, like the passport.

Posted via CB10
    Not going to happen no matter how much anyone hopes or wishes.
    09-27-15 12:33 PM
    Not going to happen no matter how much anyone hopes or wishes.
    Unfortunately, looks that way.

Wish they would make that option that Android is the default OS, but for ppl who want to install BlackBerry 10 they can by using BlackBerry Link to restore to factory defaults or select BB10. That would make everyone happy! BlackBerry getting new users, former BlackBerry users who went Android but miss the keyboard and keep the BlackBerry 10 users.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 02:00 PM
    Unfortunately, looks that way.

Wish they would make that option that Android is the default OS, but for ppl who want to install BlackBerry 10 they can by using BlackBerry Link to restore to factory defaults or select BB10. That would make everyone happy! BlackBerry getting new users, former BlackBerry users who went Android but miss the keyboard and keep the BlackBerry 10 users.

Posted via CB10
    I think it's clear now that even if this was an option without the chipset drivers from qualcomm, it would be pointless.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-27-15 02:15 PM
    Read someone saying that the leap was a try to sell low end bb10 phone. Yes, low end and almost at a premium price. No wonder it was a failure. BlackBerry with their smart pricing...

Posted via CB10
    ryanza likes this.
    09-27-15 09:04 PM
    At $275, how is that premium pricing.
    Especially in comparison to the other premium prices for the other os's?

It's $200 on shop blackberry right now.
    Maybe there is a sale happening?

Via Passport via CB10
    09-28-15 05:13 AM
    Really?? They got me!

Subscribed... please make it an official statement, soon!
    :-*

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    09-28-15 05:16 AM
    At $275, how is that premium pricing.
    Especially in comparison to the other premium prices for the other os's?

It's $200 on shop blackberry right now.
    Maybe there is a sale happening?

Via Passport via CB10

Premium compared to other phones with better hardware at the $150 mark (at launch).
    09-28-15 07:05 AM
176 ... 5678