09-28-15 07:14 AM
176 ... 45678
tools
    If you read my previous posts, you would have seen it.
    I'm not going to type rumor in every post I contribute to this thread.
    You know because that's pretty much what the entire thread is based on.

Via Passport via CB10
    I think we have moved to a point where Android is a pretty safe bet to happen.
    I think we have moved to a point where the temporary/permanent end of BB10 Development... happened already.

Yeah it fun to speculat that BlackBerry is working on some secret project that they locked up everyone associated with the project and created new severs for testing. And that they don't need developers or carriers involved with the project.... So really anything can happen.

But my SPECULATION:
    Google wants the Android Runtime removed from all retail devices - BlackBerry can not continue to sell forked Android and official Android. Once the Slider is announced, either they have a new version of BB10 without the Runtime, and have all unsold devices updated with this OS and all marketing info about the Runtime removed.... Or convert existing devices to run Android (most speculation says only the Passport has the hardware for the BBE). Or just liquidate everything before hand and take the loss... and only sell the Slider.
    All that will be a logistics and sales nightmare... and the "issues" that Chen mentioned in his interview. I doubt it's how to get GPS on BB10, or how to do dual booting, or how to let the customer choose. Those were most likely throw out long ago during negations with Google and their certification partners.
    Troy Tiscareno and LazyEvul like this.
    08-31-15 11:38 AM
    If you read my previous posts, you would have seen it.
    I'm not going to type rumor in every post I contribute to this thread.
    You know because that's pretty much what the entire thread is based on.

Via Passport via CB10
    If I come across your post I come across it. Not gonna comb back just to tell you the same thing. Just don't be surprised when you boast something that hasn't been confirmed by BBRY and people will ask for your source.

And i did ask to change the title of the thread to "SPECULATED" instead of "UPDATED". Only makes sense.
    Last edited by extisis; 08-31-15 at 12:07 PM.
    08-31-15 11:50 AM
    Im not sure I ever see the 'switch to android' button being an option. Its just another hurdle to getting to use the apps you want on the android side of the phone since you would have to flip to that side and then open the app and then flip back to the BB10 side when youre done. I think people would find it bothersome to have to go back and forth. Im wondering if maybe this isnt just there for the tester unit so it can flip back and forth. I know id personally choose one OS or the other rather than having to toggle between the two.

Posted via CB10
    Danny Ocean likes this.
    08-31-15 01:03 PM
    Nothing has been officially confirmed or denied by BlackBerry themselves yet. So, it's still technically rumor

Via Passport via CB10
    08-31-15 02:11 PM
    Whether this is true or not. Does it make sense for BlackBerry to maintain two separate OS's? That sounds like a big expense.

Unfortunately if the Android device sells we won't have BlackBerry 10 for long. On one hand I want BlackBerry to survive. On the other hand I don't want BB10 to disappear.

Loving my BlackBerry 10 Passport!

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 05:58 PM
    Whether this is true or not. Does it make sense for BlackBerry to maintain two separate OS's? That sounds like a big expense.

Unfortunately if the Android device sells we won't have BlackBerry 10 for long. On one hand I want BlackBerry to survive. On the other hand I don't want BB10 to disappear.

Loving my BlackBerry 10 Passport!

Posted via CB10
    If the Android device doesn't sell we wont have either...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-31-15 07:54 PM
    If the Android device doesn't sell we wont have either...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    But you have to agree that the Android slider is a last-ditch effort for the hardware division. BB10 devices were selling less and less (that is a fact). After the passport and classic "experiments" they kinda realised that a BB10 only slider would sell just as little. So instead of a 1% chance to make the BB10 slider successful, I think chen took the 3% chance for an Android slider. I say 3% chance because if you look at a lot of Android fan sites, the slider is received quite well and is at least generating interest.
    09-01-15 04:49 AM
    BlackBerry is working in different divisions.. while the OS would continue to develop and upgrade.. the handset division is doing everything to earn.. they realized that even with good spec phones they cant compete because bb10 is not famous. And lack apps.. so what the hardware division did is to release the hardware and leave it to the customers which OS they like.. this way the hardware still sells regardless of what OS the customer wants.. it caters to both market.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 05:02 AM
    I have a question, people here are saying that android runtime has to be removed for BlackBerry to fully use Android OS, thus not having any APKs running. But couldn't Blackberry build a a APK to BAR converter app for phones and still be able to use those apps? Basically, is running a BAR app that was an APK app still an issue? Pretty much going the PlayBook route again. Or is it android runtime itself the issue even though no APKs would run.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 11:35 PM
    It seems to me the most plausible solution is that the Slider is Android, and then BB removes the Android runtime from BB10 handsets to be OHA compliant.

But here's a question on this:

Does anyone here know if this would apply to ALL BB10 handsets (aka, ones already sold?), or rather, FUTURE BB10 devices? If it's the latter, it doesn't seem like such a disaster. Not right away at least. My Z30 will run the handful of Android apps I like for the next couple of years I'm guessing.

Posted via CB10
    ryanza likes this.
    09-02-15 01:01 AM
    I have a question, people here are saying that android runtime has to be removed for BlackBerry to fully use Android OS, thus not having any APKs running. But couldn't Blackberry build a a APK to BAR converter app for phones and still be able to use those apps? Basically, is running a BAR app that was an APK app still an issue? Pretty much going the PlayBook route again. Or is it android runtime itself the issue even though no APKs would run.

Posted via CB10
    No. Apks use for the most part an entirely different codebas, coding language and api.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    09-02-15 01:21 AM
    It seems to me the most plausible solution is that the Slider is Android, and then BB removes the Android runtime from BB10 handsets to be OHA compliant.

Does anyone here know if this would apply to ALL BB10 handsets (aka, ones already sold?), or rather, FUTURE BB10 devices? If it's the latter, it doesn't seem like such a disaster. Not right away at least. My Z30 will run the handful of Android apps I like for the next couple of years I'm guessing.

Posted via CB10
    It would be great to get a BlackBerry Android OS update for my Z30. Considering Blackberry's recent history of supporting consumers or older devices I'm not going to hold my breath.

I reasoned with myself that BlackBerry could spend time and money on developing an Android OS for the Z10, Q10, Q5, Z3, Leap, Classic and other first gen BlackBerry 10 devices rather than develop a new entry level BlackBerry device. Unfortunately I expect very few of my BlackBerry dreams to come true anymore, the most likely thing BlackBerry will do is dump BlackBerry 10 devices in the same pile as the PlayBook.
    09-02-15 01:31 AM
    I'm a blackberry fan, bleeding blackberry since 1999 of the RIM 957 pagers... ultimately I would like BB10 to succeed and become relevant in the mobile landscape but realistically BB10 has zero chances from now on to become relevant, zero !! Why ? Because the world has made their choice in between the 2 most dominant OS in the world, like blu-ray won the race against hd-dvd, like vhs won against beta.. the world hates being stuck with a loser choice, they rally with the winner eventually, and Android is winning this race at the moment. But there's a bigger picture in all this and it's called IOT. The IOT project has QNX as the grand ace in all this but at the same time BB10 isn't required to make it happen. Being partners with one of the most influential tech company in the world is vital to make it work and making sure to stay a household name while making this IOT project a reality is as much important. So in the grand scheme, creating a partnership with Google is in my opinion not only a necessity to regain a lost popularity in the device world but a vital process in their quest to lead the pack in the IOT future.

Posted via CB10
    SilkySunshine likes this.
    09-02-15 02:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    My *guess* is that the contract prevents the 'sale of' so older device will be fine but unsupported.
    09-02-15 02:49 AM
    That's a poor Photoshop job.
    09-02-15 12:24 PM
    BB did in fact create APK to BAR "converters" already, but they only worked because the Android Runtime was there to actually execute them. If the Runtime went away, none of that code would work.

It is theoretically possible that BB could develop something that developers could use to take their original APK source code and convert it into a BB10 app, much as Microsoft has tried to do for WinPhone, but something like that would take a year or more to develop and would almost certainly take far more money and resources than BB has to spend - and even then, there is absolutely no guarantee that developers would utilize it. Just look at how few utilized the APK-to-BAR converter, which at the end of the day was MUCH less work for them. Most people suspect that Microsoft isn't likely to get very far with their converter either.

Most Devs don't want their name on a poorly converted app that lacks the flavor and features of a native app - it just results in negative reviews, support costs, and sullies their reputation, as we've seen with many converted apps in BB World. That's the same reason why many devs blocked BB10 devices from using their apps in the Amazon Marketplace - they'd rather have fewer users than have users who complained, brought down their ratings, and dragged their names through the mud.
    09-02-15 01:17 PM
    IMO, the most likely scenario would be that the runtime could remain on currently-sold/active BB10 devices, but that no devices sold after a given date may contain it, and obviously all future BB10 updates would have it removed. Current users can remain on the current version of BB10 indefinitely to retain the Runtime, or they can upgrade to the latest version of BB10 (assuming a new version is ever released) and go without it.

It's possible that BB is trying to negotiate being able to continue to sell existing stock of their already-released models with the Runtime, and just not offer it on newer models (if those ever exist), and it's possible that they get that concession. I suspect that's one of the points Chen was taking about when he said it was "more complicated than most people realize."
    09-02-15 01:23 PM
    Slider is a pure Android device. Period.
    09-02-15 02:10 PM
    Slider is a pure Android device. Period.
    No, it's a hybrid hypervisor running an Android emulator on top of the greatest OS ever created: Web OS....or sorry I mean BB10.
    extisis likes this.
    09-02-15 04:30 PM
    No, it's a hybrid hypervisor running an Android emulator on top of the greatest OS ever created: Web OS....or sorry I mean BB10.
    Like everyone else.........................link?
    09-02-15 04:40 PM
    I find it doubtful that carriers would go along with this. Users getting a choice at initial boot might not know what to do, being presented a semi-permanent choice without any idea what either would entail. Plus, they'd need to wait for the download to happen (which could be multiple GBs of data) and then have it install. Not user friendly at all.
    I think they will all be preloaded and we will have the choice of which version to buy.

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic
    09-02-15 06:35 PM
    I think they will all be preloaded and we will have the choice of which version to buy.

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic
    Lets not expect too much from BlackBerry! While I agree that the best option would be a device with an OS preloaded we must not forget how BlackBerry 10 started!

Remember starting a device only to be given no choice and having to update the OS with a large update?

Will the new slider have a relatively quick first start up or will it require the user to wait, potentially hours, for the first boot? Will BlackBerry offer a backup and restore feature for people moving from BB10 to the Android slider?

I'd personally send the devices out ready to start quickly as an android device. Those who want BB10 OS, the < 0.5% of the market, can be left to jump through hurdles as they are well used to by now. I can't imagine anyone coming from iOS or another Android platform having the patience to deal with what us BB10 users have had to go through with BB10 OS.
    kbz1960 and LazyEvul like this.
    09-02-15 11:50 PM
    I think this is ridiculous.

From the cutest Q10
    09-03-15 05:22 AM
    I think this is ridiculous.

From the cutest Q10
    I think it's ridiculous that you made that comment, but didn't share why.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 05:05 PM
    I like the idea that people get to chose, but I think I'd still stick with blackberry OS. That being said I wish I could download all the apps on my classic, for example I can't download Uber on my classic which sucks!
    09-03-15 07:27 PM
176 ... 45678