09-28-15 08:14 AM
176 ... 23456 ...
tools
    UPDATED: Blackberry android phone will let you choose your os of choice-goofus.jpg
    08-29-15 12:06 PM
    It will ship with Android OS and with BB10 on SD card for users to install.
    08-29-15 12:51 PM
    BUT the user CAN OPTIONALLY revert to the "OS choice" boot and choose the other one IF YOU ARE SO INCLINED?
    No way do I see carriers giving their customers the options to do this. They're not about to support two OSes for a single device. Also, the option can be a major cause of confusion/pain for many low tech consumers as well.
    southlander likes this.
    08-29-15 01:22 PM
    No way do I see carriers giving their customers the options to do this. They're not about to support two OSes for a single device. Also, the option can be a major cause of confusion/pain for many low tech consumers as well.
    "hello, I wiped it and did the OS install and it bricked - you allowed me to do this - where is my new one?"
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-29-15 01:24 PM
    This seems too weird to me. Wouldn't it make more sense to have 2 sliders, one with BB10 and one with Android and the customer pics which one they want at the store?

I get that the idea of being able to download whichever OS you feel like, and then changing your mind and downloading another one, is attractive to certain people. But it's needlessly complicated and that's never helpful for business.

Posted via CB10
    That would cause supply issues. Carrier stores would have to order a certain number of units per store. And then you have a phone with 2 OS, so now they're split on how many they should order for a phone that probably won't even sell.

It's an inventory nightmare.

If anything the store can install the OS for the customer. They provide the support for setup.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 01:29 PM
    Well BlackBerry hasn't been known for user friendly in recent years. Take the whole android apps business, patching, sideloading etc.
    Can't imagine too many (dumb) iPhone users were able to handle that.

Q10 on 10.3.2.2204
    Was that necessary? Can anyone have a discussion without needlessly insulting users of other platforms anymore?

This 'dumb' iPhone user could quite easily handle patches, side loads, etc.

This issue is that you shouldn't HAVE to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-29-15 01:35 PM
    Maybe the simple answer was already written, I did not read all the comments.

But I personally do not see an issue with this. The simplest solution would be for the carriers to have 2 demo devices right next to each other.

One running BB10
    And
    One running Android

The customer plays with the devices, they make their choice on the OS of their wanting and tell the carrier rep, I would like the Blackberry slider with ....... OS.
    The rep goes and gets the device and then downloads the OS over the in store connection wifi and then does the necessary carrier paperwork and trying to sell accessories and insurance plans while the OS is uploading.

It's not that hard of a situation to think through.
    And since the phone itself is just a shell until the OS is loaded, I don't see how it would go against any liability of the OHA.
    08-29-15 05:38 PM
    You know you can also choose windows or Linux. After the new year they will announce Apple compatibility!!

All of it nonsense. I mean if you are fantasizing - - fine. But let's admit this is fantasy and that there is nothing whatsoever in reality to reflect that the slider will have BB10.

Show me a single leak - picture video, statement from anyone at BB that looks or sounds like BB10 will be on this device. Remember, RIM/BBRY also made BB OS. Lots of them for many years. Does that mean that the slider will have OS 7.1?

There is no BB10.3.3. Sorry. I don't mean to be a downer here, and certainly feel free to dream of a dual boot device, or a provider loaded OS of choice. But for anyone who is looking for real information or honest discussion of the slider needs to know that this thread could not be more fantastical if it discussed how the slider will produce suffient gamma radiation to change your muscular structure.
    1Criz and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    08-29-15 05:39 PM
    And since the phone itself is just a shell until the OS is loaded, I don't see how it would go against any liability of the OHA.
    Because google would never say yes to start with? Because its not just about the device but the fact that you cannot sell *any* device with a fork on it (the android runtime).
    08-29-15 05:52 PM
    Because google would never say yes to start with? Because its not just about the device but the fact that you cannot sell *any* device with a fork on it (the android runtime).
    Why not?
    The device is a shell with nothing but hardware. So there is ZERO chance of any sort of legal mumbo jumbo at risk.

So it's not a forked device like amazons fire OS or the number of companies selling forked devices without Google services.

A device without an OS is an open choice left ultimately to us the customer.

Why wouldn't Google say yes to money or just an expanding making by licensing play services to a well known and recognized brand to in fact make more money by converting BB10 users with an open shot at using their favorite branded device (BlackBerry) and the only device on the market with a full blown keyboard?

That is just more data for them and their analytical team to decipher if the market truly wants a PKB device with spend money on marketing or research.

Via Passport via CB10
    08-29-15 06:14 PM
    Why not?
    The device is a shell with nothing but hardware. So there is ZERO chance of any sort of legal mumbo jumbo at risk.

So it's not a forked device like amazons fire OS or the number of companies selling forked devices without Google services.

A device without an OS is an open choice left ultimately to us the customer.

Why wouldn't Google say yes to money or just an expanding making by licensing play services to a well known and recognized brand to in fact make more money by converting BB10 users with an open shot at using their favorite branded device (BlackBerry) and the only device on the market with a full blown keyboard?

That is just more data for them and their analytical team to decipher if the market truly wants a PKB device with spend money on marketing or research.

Via Passport via CB10
    Sigh... This has been covered a billion times here - they ain't going to blow up their own successful business model for a company that does as many activations in a quarter as android does in a morning.As for the fork - as long as there are BB10 devices sold with the runtime, you have the fork regardless of what is doing on the Venice.

This is just another rehash of the weird fantasy that people have it here that's 2008 and BBRY has any leverage. All these weird fantasy ideas also popped up when WebOS when down the tubes - anything to avoid the reality of what was actually happening.

The Venice is a duck - it's going quack quack, every image we see of it is a duck going quack quack, every video we see is a duck going quack quack - that you see a bear is your problem.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-29-15 06:18 PM
    Sigh... This has been covered a billion times here - they ain't going to blow up their own successful business model for a company that does as many activations in a quarter as android does in a morning.As for the fork - as long as there are BB10 devices sold with the runtime, you have the fork regardless of what is doing on the Venice.

This is just another rehash of the weird fantasy that people have it here that's 2008 and BBRY has any leverage. All these weird fantasy ideas also popped up when WebOS when down the tubes - anything to avoid the reality of what was actually happening.

The Venice is a duck - it's going quack quack, every image we see of it is a duck going quack quack, every video we see is a duck going quack quack - that you see a bear is your problem.
    Explain on how they are blowing up their business model of acquiring money and data?

I'm aware that this is heavily spread as rumor still.
    And its nothing about leverage.
    The only thing I can't understand, is how you cannot understand that for either company, it is a win win scenario if it is true.

Google gets :
    More exposure to another companies small user base.
    Use of the only pkb on the market
    Use of BlackBerry 's experience suite
    Use of BlackBerry security for android for work
    Potentially IOS users that will convert to Android that wanted Typo for their phones

The list could go on and on.

And BlackBerry gets:
    All that is listed above and an increased user base either way creating more profit for the company and share holders.
    And a massive foot hold in the industry once again by way of device and interconnectivity .

Oh yea, and they still get to keep the loyalists for BB10.

There is a massive potential for either company. Especially BlackBerry.

Via Passport via CB10
    Egod101 likes this.
    08-29-15 06:31 PM
    No I am not explaining anything because it is already covered in plenty of places but I will give you a hint - you make an exception for bbry - why are you not making that exception for Samsung, lg, htc, sony?

More simply why has Google never made an exception of this sort do you think ?

Go do some reading
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    08-29-15 06:39 PM
    UPDATED: Blackberry android phone will let you choose your os of choice-dr-cox-washing-his-hands-j-d-scrubs-15285867-200-133.gif
    Jerry A likes this.
    08-29-15 06:50 PM
    What the hell are you talking about: I'm talking about the reality where if BB wants to stay in the handset business they have to have an answer to the problem of making the devices attractive and marketable and yet not abandon BB10 altogether AND not have to develop separate devices one running Android another running BB10.

If your answer to BB's handset sales problems is effectively "dump BB10 now and switch to Android" that would irreparably harm their already tarnished reputation with enterprise (where BB10 must be supported and SEEN to be supported) , and is an untested approach that could fail terribly and if the fortunes of HTC and Sony and Motorola are any indication, it will do nothing NOTHING to increase market share.

What THIS approach does is a) of course let carriers have the OS of their choosing preinstalled, but b) STILL allow enterprise users AND CORE BB FANS to CHOOSE BB10... and if you don't think that plenty of people would give BB10 a try KNOWING that they could switch to Android if they want, then you don't know human nature at all. No, not your Aunt Marge, but plenty of "millennials" would be curious enough to give it a try for a while just like people may use an Android device for a while, then switch to an iPhone, then go back to Android. THINK about how THAT could increase BB10 exposure to users who might not want to risk their biennial hardware subsidy on an OS they've "heard" sucks. Now they can try BB10, and they just may like it! Or, they won't and have the confidence that they can just go "nope, not for me, switching to Android... ahhh, that's better."

Also, BOTH OS "disk images" could reside on the device and when you choose your OS it just installs FROM ONBOARD MEMORY, no huge download over carrier data.

Again. Critics of this approach think in VERY SMALL BOXES and the "reality" you claim to refer to is very selective and in fact kind-of a "lazy" attitude for a BLACKBERRY FAN SITE (I know, all caps, but clearly the point is just lost to many people here).

CrackBerry members can't really control how rumours are taken as facts (and the discussion that ensues), but CrackBerry members CAN control how much they S*IT on every single possible idea that comes along.
    Thank you!!!!!! People just think that BlackBerry can transition again and will take off simply because there are now apps. They will be viewed by many as a company that has zero ability to stick with what they started with, and kill what little trust TH didn't kill off already. I mean seriously BB10 was out for 9 months before Chen came on board, was released in Beta grade on non competitive and over priced hardware. They fixed the OS, but killed off all high end projects minus the Passport which is a horrific sales failure, and then release three different versions of said sales failure. No OS would have made it under those circumstances.

Posted via Z30
    extisis likes this.
    08-29-15 06:59 PM
    Passport which is a horrific sales failure
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a "horrific sales failure". Was by no means a huge hit either. It is quite possible that this device would have sold in decent numbers if it had stock android in it. We don't know the exact number sold, but I would be surprised if BB lost much money in that device seeing as inventory is controlled pretty carefully.
    08-29-15 07:07 PM
    Why not just ship them pre-installed with android, but all have the option to wipe and restart as bb10 should the user wish, or the other way around?

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 09:23 PM
    I feel that if the slider is pure Android it's the death knell for BB10. I like BB10, but if you are in business, you have to sell what the people want to buy and clearly a huge majority prefer Android and iOS. It is sad, I was hopeful for a BB10 slider, but alas the reality of the situation starts to seep in. BTW: I have run into a few friends who are Android folks and they have heard about the slider and seem quite excited about it. Not because it is BB, but because it will be Android. (sigh)
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-29-15 09:30 PM
    That is a good point Ray, if you go to a carrier to buy a new phone, they won't be able to activate it unless the OS was installed. So no way they would let you stand around waiting to download an OS( it could take an Hour)..So basically this thread is just BS
    ray689 and extisis like this.
    08-29-15 11:15 PM
    From a practical point of view, it's one of the most fanciful concepts ever.
    kbz1960 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    08-29-15 11:19 PM
    I haven't been needing to side load since 10.2.1... and BlackBerry never advocated for us to go out and install Google Play store. It just so happens that a guy named Cobalt did us a favor...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    if you didn't notice he was writing in the past tense. you're just solidifying what he wrote.
    08-30-15 02:45 AM
    From a practical point of view, it's one of the most fanciful concepts ever.
    that's why it's so outlandish
    08-30-15 02:46 AM
    CrackBerry members can't really control how rumours are taken as facts (and the discussion that ensues), but CrackBerry members CAN control how much they S*IT on every single possible idea that comes along.
    This. +1

I doubt anyone could have said it better than the above quote.
    08-30-15 04:36 AM
    That is a good point Ray, if you go to a carrier to buy a new phone, they won't be able to activate it unless the OS was installed. So no way they would let you stand around waiting to download an OS( it could take an Hour)..So basically this thread is just BS
    Honestly, that sounds like a lot of extra training for the salespeople, who typically aren't actually skilled. Furthermore, they would be devoting valuable time to set up the device instead of helping more customers and the purchaser or the device might still have to come back to pick up the device. And there could still be problems flashing/installing a new OS. It happens all the time even to techies.

It's a better-ish solution than having customers set up the device, themselves; but, it still doesn't seem very practical for carriers unless BB10 shows more demand.
    08-30-15 07:50 AM
    I'm aware it's impolite to repost this, but I do believe it's worth at least being considered.

Honestly? I think this wouldn't work exactly as the article says. However, there may be some tweaks that make it viable:

1. Have Android installed by default, but the initial setup and a preinstalled app will let you switch to Blackberry 10. Although unfortunate for devotees this will solve 90% of all confusion, as most of the people who don't understand or won't bother with the OS choice will be familiar with Android. Blackberry makes money on the hardware and paid services anyways.

2. Have the OSs predownloaded to the phone, even if Android is preinstalled. There's no guarantee that the user will have access to relaible high speed internet (and may not want to wait anyways). The other OS can be deleted automatically (say, after 30 days or when memory is mostly full)

3. (for Enterprise users): Have a PC app that will flash and preconfigure devices in bulk, so that they are not waiting forever doing one at a time.
    08-30-15 10:08 AM
176 ... 23456 ...