09-28-15 08:14 AM
176 12345 ...
tools
    No need to do it over a wifi connection, just download the new OS then set it active to be booted the next time the device is power-cycled. Android users (well, some Android users) who like cyanogenmod for example do this all the time. Some have *several* different OS's sitting on their phone and can choose at power-up.
    08-28-15 09:04 PM
    This device is going to be android, first and foremost. BB is hoping android users will give it a go. So it would make sense to have android as the boot-up OS. Realizing that they do have an established base of hard-core (mostly tech-savy) BB zealots, they will have a switch-button-magic method for these people to install BB10. I see absolutely NO problem with this theory. I do worry about the manner in which they would deploy this strategy. I think it makes no sense to manufacture both white and black versions with 2 different OS's when a simple hook-up to a server will give those tech-savy BB fanatics what they want. Look at all the hassles Blackberry lovers go through with these leaks, fixes, patches etc etc. I think I can push a button that says give me BB10. Conversely, I agree, that 95% of consumers would have a BIG problem with making that choice, but BB is trying to kill 2 birds with one stone, so BB fans will be asked to bear that choice burden. I have no problem with that.
    Gykesdollars and Egod101 like this.
    08-28-15 09:12 PM
    To those of you calling this a "stupid idea":... is it possible that carriers will tell BlackBerry what OS they want to boot on the devices they sell (most likely Android, but maybe 90%-10% in favour of Android or whatever) so the devices BlackBerry delivers to the carriers will be whatever the Carriers want (most likely Android) BUT the user CAN OPTIONALLY revert to the "OS choice" boot and choose the other one IF YOU ARE SO INCLINED? Possibly if you order your device from ShopBlackBerry.com you can choose which OS will boot, just like on Apple.com you can order black or gold or white? Choice?

Calling this a stupid idea when what it does is give BB AND CARRIERS AND ENTERPRISE CUSTOMERS CHOICE that is unprecedented in the industry just shows that the boxes some people think in are very small.

I would be very pleased if this were true: I would be even more pleased if owners of Z10s and Q10s and Z30s can get an OS build like this that allows them to install Android if they choose, giving new life to idled BB10 devices.

What is wrong with some people on this "BlackBerry Fan Site". Seriously.
    08-28-15 09:26 PM
    not sure who 'Rapid John' is, but this is the article that he posted (and who was quoted by Dhabkirk on his BBM channel)
    BlackBerry Android Phone will let you choose your OS of choice | Rapid Mobile
    interesting and a game changer if true.
    Stupidest article ever, borderline clickbate. BlackBerry will NOT do dual boot. Do you expect them to do Dual Boot in the sense that you have to download an OS before you can use your phone? What about those customers that have 500MB data plans, or a GB or two... yeah okay. Lets use up your data usage in a single hour for you to use your phone.. or wait til you go home and use WiFi to download an OS..

Stupid effin article. Common sense is missing from the whole article tbh.
    08-28-15 09:28 PM
    Oh, the ridiculous crap that gets posted in these forums....
    08-28-15 09:28 PM
    To those of you calling this a "stupid idea":... is it possible that carriers will select the OS they want (most likely Android) so the devices BlackBerry delivers to the will be whatever the Carriers want (most likely Android) BUT the user CAN OPTIONALLY revert to the "OS choice" boot and choose the other one IF YOU ARE SO INCLINED? Possibly if you order your device from ShopBlackBerry.com you can choose which OS will boot, just like on Apple.com you can order black or gold or white? Choice?

Calling this a stupid idea when what it does is give BB AND CARRIERS AND ENTERPRISE CUSTOMERS CHOICE that is unprecedented in the industry just shows that the boxes some people think in are very small.
    How many people do you honestly think will revert from the carrier installed Android? Like I said, probably the people that run get excited at the though of a .0002 OS leak increase. The vast majority will never even think about it. I mean, people still ask the 'guy/girl at the store to transfer their contacts'.

So the number of BB10 're-flashers' will not be enough to justify (1) the cost of developing such a capability and (2) maintaining an alternate OS that will probably sit there collecting dust (while trying to make their Android effort compelling enough for people to actually want to buy the thing in the first place).

It's not a box... just, reality.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-28-15 09:38 PM
    I would be fine with this method.. I would first put bb10 on to see if the runtime still meets my needs and the android apps I have now run flawlessly.

Then have the option to still out android on if I so choose. As long as I only have to buy one phone and do a format I'll be fine with that.

I see this as an ideal way for Enterprise too, it will create too much confusion having a bb10 phone and. Android phone when they the same phone.

Doing it this method might also get people who were intending to only use android to try our bb10 and could in the end help bb10 support.

Time will tell... hope it's just a OS thing BlackBerry can also bring to the Leap, Z30 etc as an update

Posted via CB10
    Egod101 likes this.
    08-28-15 09:58 PM
    So the number of BB10 're-flashers' will not be enough to justify (1) the cost of developing such a capability and (2) maintaining an alternate OS that will probably sit there collecting dust (while trying to make their Android effort compelling enough for people to actually want to buy the thing in the first place).
    Yeah, -but what if nobody wants this device except hard-core BB users who are practically the only people buying their devices these days. Since you are going to keep your BB10 around (for awhile anyway) you may as well pipe it down to those who are wanting to switch. The servers are already dishing out updates, I don't see a big cost in this. Would not be any different than any other OTA update that we have been receiving on our unlocked devices for years. I see it as a win-win unless of course BB10 is totally scrapped. There are a lot of BB fans who will buy this device ONLY if they can get BB10 on it, you may as well make that available as a fall-back if the android fails.
    08-28-15 10:07 PM
    Tech nerds wet dream so long as it is bleeding edge hardware.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 10:34 PM
    Pretty cool if it's all true. Can't wait to buy this phone.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    08-28-15 10:37 PM
    This is a very nice idea. But I think it would help people become aware of how awesome BlackBerry os10 is if you had the option to select which os you run appon power on and you can seamlessly switch. This way everyone willbtry out BlackBerry os. I bet half the people who buy yhe slider that are former droid whores will never try once the BlackBerry os option and forget it exists.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 10:56 PM
    The conjecture here is probably all for nothing anyway -- it'll probably be android only lol

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 10:57 PM
    So if this is to be the case, will BlackBerry be able to bypass carriers for updates? That would be huge!

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 11:39 PM
    cant wait!
    08-29-15 02:30 AM
    Doesn't really seem like a great idea for something the end customer would use. Though I could see BlackBerry producing one piece of hardware that can run either OS as a sort of test unit. And then later actually release two models, one with Android for the general public and an enterprise version with BlackBerry 10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-29-15 02:53 AM
    This is a stupid idea, which means BlackBerry are probably thinking about it.Posted via CB10
    Aye Aye to that Sir.
    'Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups'. George Carlin
    And Blackberry is, not.
    08-29-15 03:13 AM
    I wait for the day when BlackBerry ships phones with either bbos, android, wp or iOS. THAT's when the other's are screwed

(I somehow doubt the others will allow it, though )

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 03:22 AM
    If there is any truth to this then this will be applicable to unlocked models only. I can't see carriers agree to something confusing as this.
    08-29-15 03:28 AM
    This is a stupid idea, which means BlackBerry are probably thinking about it.

Posted via CB10
    LoL

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    08-29-15 03:49 AM
    That's Android on the hypervisor, right?

Absolutely and the slider will be like a transformer and you can turn it into a tablet and a small truck for a child to play with.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-29-15 04:05 AM
    Absolutely and the slider will be like a transformer and you can turn it into a tablet and a small truck for a child to play with.
    LOL!

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 04:44 AM
    Hey, that's not a bad naming convention:

BlackBerry Prime
    BlackBerry Shockwave
    BlackBerry Bumblebee

We'll save the BlackBerry Optiplex for the super-secret docking kiosk project.

CGK, you're a marketing genius!
    cgk likes this.
    08-29-15 09:07 AM
    Honestly? I think this wouldn't work exactly as the article says. However, there may be some tweaks that make it viable:

1. Have Android installed by default, but the initial setup and a preinstalled app will let you switch to Blackberry 10. Although unfortunate for devotees this will solve 90% of all confusion, as most of the people who don't understand or won't bother with the OS choice will be familiar with Android. Blackberry makes money on the hardware and paid services anyways.

2. Have the OSs predownloaded to the phone, even if Android is preinstalled. There's no guarantee that the user will have access to relaible high speed internet (and may not want to wait anyways). The other OS can be deleted automatically (say, after 30 days or when memory is mostly full)

3. (for Enterprise users): Have a PC app that will flash and preconfigure devices in bulk, so that they are not waiting forever doing one at a time.
    08-29-15 10:09 AM
    I actually like this option over the others that I have been hearing about. I want to keep working with BB10, I like having the Android Runtime on my BB10 device. I think it is an awesome idea from BB. Thank you for sharing OP!
    yes I'm with you .................this is by far the best thing
    08-29-15 11:45 AM
    It's not a box... just, reality.
    What the hell are you talking about: I'm talking about the reality where if BB wants to stay in the handset business they have to have an answer to the problem of making the devices attractive and marketable and yet not abandon BB10 altogether AND not have to develop separate devices one running Android another running BB10.

If your answer to BB's handset sales problems is effectively "dump BB10 now and switch to Android" that would irreparably harm their already tarnished reputation with enterprise (where BB10 must be supported and SEEN to be supported) , and is an untested approach that could fail terribly and if the fortunes of HTC and Sony and Motorola are any indication, it will do nothing NOTHING to increase market share.

What THIS approach does is a) of course let carriers have the OS of their choosing preinstalled, but b) STILL allow enterprise users AND CORE BB FANS to CHOOSE BB10... and if you don't think that plenty of people would give BB10 a try KNOWING that they could switch to Android if they want, then you don't know human nature at all. No, not your Aunt Marge, but plenty of "millennials" would be curious enough to give it a try for a while just like people may use an Android device for a while, then switch to an iPhone, then go back to Android. THINK about how THAT could increase BB10 exposure to users who might not want to risk their biennial hardware subsidy on an OS they've "heard" sucks. Now they can try BB10, and they just may like it! Or, they won't and have the confidence that they can just go "nope, not for me, switching to Android... ahhh, that's better."

Also, BOTH OS "disk images" could reside on the device and when you choose your OS it just installs FROM ONBOARD MEMORY, no huge download over carrier data.

Again. Critics of this approach think in VERY SMALL BOXES and the "reality" you claim to refer to is very selective and in fact kind-of a "lazy" attitude for a BLACKBERRY FAN SITE (I know, all caps, but clearly the point is just lost to many people here).

CrackBerry members can't really control how rumours are taken as facts (and the discussion that ensues), but CrackBerry members CAN control how much they S*IT on every single possible idea that comes along.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 08-29-15 at 12:14 PM.
    08-29-15 12:01 PM
176 12345 ...