09-28-15 07:14 AM
176 1234 ...
tools
    This seems like a key point the OP didn't quote.

"Interestingly, there are two prototypes on the go. One with the OS option that I have described and one that comes with only the Android OS installed on it."

There could be a consumer Android only version that the carriers will sell and a sort of power user version for people who still want BB10.
    08-28-15 01:46 PM
    This is a brilliant idea. Don't compare the anti BB carriers in the US to the rest of the world.
    08-28-15 02:00 PM
    I think instead of installing the OS from scratch, the phone should come pre-installed with 10 OS with the option of switching to Android. It's a lot more user friendly and easy to set up.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 02:23 PM
    Would be a very good decision by BlackBerry if this is true.....

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 02:25 PM
    I think instead of installing the OS from scratch, the phone should come pre-installed with 10 OS with the option of switching to Android. It's a lot more user friendly and easy to set up.

Posted via CB10
    Actually a more logical decision is to start with Android and be able to switch to BB10. The default OS should be the one that would get the phone least likely to be returned (due to missing apps) and that most users are familiar with.
    08-28-15 03:22 PM
    My mantra is usually to never say never, but I feel fairly confident in saying "never" to this one.
    08-28-15 03:31 PM
    I can't see this being true. Biggest reason is that a lot people go into their carrier store to get a new device and expect it to be set up (ie: Sim put in etc) before they leave. Pretty sure carriers won't want people standing in line to pick an OS and then wait for it to download and install before activating their device. There is no way this would fly. Just more rumor mongering.
    If I can predict the future ... it shouldn't be a problem - the reps will probably preemptively install Android on all of the devices, assuming people will want that anyways.
    08-28-15 03:42 PM
    The point is to have android already loaded and not need to download or install it. If the user chooses to factory reset it should still default to Android but be prompted if they rather go with BlackBerry 10. That's the only case of having to wait to download a full OS.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-28-15 03:45 PM
    Come on guys...

The only ones who think 'this is the best idea ever' are the ones who's eyes light up at the sight of a new 'Leaked OS thread' and salivate at the thought of spending half a weekend triple SIC wiping, loading the 'new OS (with four new files), and re setting up their device from scratch, and blowing up the thread 'reporting' the new findings.

For everyone else living in reality and with barely enough time to even change their device's wallpaper... this would be a non-starter.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 03:46 PM
    For everyone else living in reality and with barely enough time to even change their device's wallpaper... this would be a non-starter.

Posted via CB10
    If you don't have time you go ahead and ignore the prompt... Android is already installed.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    brookie229 likes this.
    08-28-15 03:49 PM
    All these fantasy scenarios all have the same weird premise underpinning them - Google changes its highly successful business model to accommodate a company who sell less than 800,000 devices a quarter and falling...
    At least someone understands Crackberry

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 03:51 PM
    I remember how excited I was to get my first PlayBook, then sitting in the parking lot realizing it wouldn't let me set up further until I upgraded the OS...

I don't think most consumers want to install the OS as the first thing. Day 0 patches for XBox One and PlayStation 4 drew the ire of gamers and they're probably more tolerant of updates.
    08-28-15 03:57 PM
    The point is to have android already loaded and not need to download or install it. If the user chooses to factory reset it should still default to Android but be prompted if they rather go with BlackBerry 10. That's the only case of having to wait to download a full OS.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    What a warranty nightmare and CS support nightmare that would be - you might as well as cover it in radioactive dust before giving it to carriers to have a look at.

Hum.. lets think of a more parsimonious solution... the new phone runs android, it boots into android, it does nothing but android.
    08-28-15 03:59 PM
    What a warranty nightmare and CS support nightmare that would be - you might as well as cover it in radioactive dust before giving it to carriers to have a look at.

Hum.. lets think of a more parsimonious solution... the new phone runs android, it boots into android, it does nothing but android.
    They already don't know how to handle BlackBerry 10 devices. But I suspect it will only run android because that's the most likely outcome. this is the second most likely. I don't see a better way to handle this if it did have the capability to run either.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    brookie229 and cgk like this.
    08-28-15 04:04 PM
    If you don't have time you go ahead and ignore the prompt... Android is already installed.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    That would be fine, but still a 'thinking point' that would make people feel uncomfortable.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 04:22 PM
    That's Android on the hypervisor, right?

brookie229, ubizmo, cgk and 1 others like this.
    08-28-15 06:15 PM
    This seems too weird to me. Wouldn't it make more sense to have 2 sliders, one with BB10 and one with Android and the customer pics which one they want at the store?

I get that the idea of being able to download whichever OS you feel like, and then changing your mind and downloading another one, is attractive to certain people. But it's needlessly complicated and that's never helpful for business.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 06:27 PM
    I am willing to bet that if this is the option that BB goes for, carrier demo versions will ALL be with Android on display.
    Which is good for BlackBerry because it probably lead to more phone sales.
    motec bb likes this.
    08-28-15 06:31 PM
    We don't want full android OS on BB devices then it is same as buying any android device from market. We want BBOS 10 with Google services for running apps. As such we love BB 10 OS but lacks in running some popular apps like cabs, online ecom, etc which requires Google services.

Z30 10.3.2.2639 thru CB10
    Egod101 likes this.
    08-28-15 07:03 PM
    How about having both OS in a system memory in a hidden partition which can then be deleted once the user is happy
    Boot and setup would be quite quick and doable out of the box in your car in the parking lot
    08-28-15 07:07 PM
    How about having both OS in a system memory in a hidden partition which can then be deleted once the user is happy
    Boot and setup would be quite quick and doable out of the box in your car in the parking lot
    This is exactly what people are saying. I think it's possible to make this user friendly if executed correctly.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-28-15 07:11 PM
    This is a stupid idea, which means BlackBerry are probably thinking about it.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 07:14 PM
    We don't want full android OS on BB devices then it is same as buying any android device from market. We want BBOS 10 with Google services for running apps. As such we love BB 10 OS but lacks in running some popular apps like cabs, online ecom, etc which requires Google services.

Z30 10.3.2.2639 thru CB10
    We???
    08-28-15 07:20 PM
    This is a stupid idea, which means BlackBerry are probably thinking about it.

Posted via CB10
    Oh wise One! Your cynicism shineth like a beacon!

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 07:25 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Well which is it? They're saying it comes with nothing installed then pick upon startup. This will not fly and if it did come preloaded with Android and you still had a choice, 99% of consumers wouldn't ever bother to wipe their device and load a new OS so it would still not be good for BB10 going forward. This is a pipe dream in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 07:45 PM
176 1234 ...