DISCLAIMER: I am not necessarily recommending this film for its aesthetic or intellectual value. See below.

The upcoming film about Wikileaks produced by Dreamworks, "The Fifth Estate" is due to be released in the USA on October 18.

Based on the script of the film published by Wikileaks, it appears to depict certain journalists using Blackberries.

Caveat: I'm a Wikileaks supporter and Julian Assange has made it clear that he feels this film is negative propaganda about Wikileaks, and he is bitterly opposed to it. So I'm certainly not suggesting people watch this for its "message", only posting this as a news item because it will apparently depict some Blackberries in use. (Preliminary critical reviews of the film are also decidedly mixed, it appears)

Script for The Fifth Estate as published by Wikileaks (scroll to bottom for a critique of the script by Wikileaks)

Letter from Julian Assange to Benedict Cumberbatch about his role in the film (January 2013)
    10-13-13 04:35 AM
    I get BB7 right?
    I mean, I hear the move "roll"
    somewhere 09-11 so my logic said it can't be BB10
    10-13-13 05:07 AM
    "Julian Assange has made it clear that he feels this film is negative propaganda about Wikileaks"

LOL! That's a bit rich coming from someone who is a known disinformation operative. Anything Assange says should be taken with a very large grain of salt.
    10-13-13 11:08 PM
    So a crappy film, about a despicable piece of sh**, should be watched because some people use BlackBerries in the film? Genius.

No wonder you support Wikileaks.
    10-14-13 07:01 AM
    The whole Wikileaks fiasco took place from like 2006 - 2010, so any film that is going to deal with the period of time when BlackBerry was King is going to show people using BlackBerries for authenticity.

This is 2013... and BlackBerry is History! To point out BlackBerries being used in this film is just sad.
    10-14-13 08:16 AM
    So a crappy film, about a despicable piece of sh**, should be watched because some people use BlackBerries in the film? Genius.

Actually he never said to watch the movie because there are Blackberry's in it..
    He just reported that there are BlackBerry's used in the film

Posted via CB10
    badiyee likes this.
    10-14-13 08:45 AM
    "Julian Assange has made it clear that he feels this film is negative propaganda about Wikileaks"

LOL! That's a bit rich coming from someone who is a known disinformation operative. Anything Assange says should be taken with a very large grain of salt.

Sez the one who names himself "sigint99" here.

Color me shocked.
    10-14-13 08:57 AM

And from one who names himself after a tank.
    badiyee likes this.
    10-14-13 08:58 AM
    And from one who names himself after a tank.
    Wrong. But close. Try again.
    10-14-13 10:16 AM
    It's a historical film, much of which takes place during the heyday of Blackberry.
    10-14-13 02:29 PM

You're only pissed off because the filthy, despicable activity of the US Army and govt. were exposed. Tough merd.

Posted from my RIM 850 wireless handheld
    badiyee likes this.
    10-14-13 03:10 PM
    It's a historical film, much of which takes place during the heyday of Blackberry.
    Ya, what does the OP expect? Flip phones?
    10-14-13 09:21 PM
    We are really starting to grasp. I see where this is heading. Akin to people on the Atari forums posting when it is spotted on a movie set in the 80s
    10-14-13 09:37 PM
    We are really starting to grasp. I see where this is heading. Akin to people on the Atari forums posting when it is spotted on a movie set in the 80s

No need to spin as per ideological preferences.

I simply saw a movie which contained references to Blackberries, and posted because I consider that newsworthy to people on a site devoted to Blackberries past and present.

There are still people other than government agencies who use and prefer Blackberries. Journalists are one of those constituencies because of the text capabilities of the devices.

Matter of fact, Eric Schmidt said earlier this year that he still uses a Blackberry because he loves the keyboard. This is a guy who could single-handedly buy the entire Blackberry company, and he said that as Executive Chairman of the company that invented and produces Android, and as a noted technology pioneer, from Bell Labs, to Xerox PARC, to Sun Microsystems (Director of Software Engineering) and so on.

So yeah, there are still people that use the devices, even when they could have anything on earth instead, including their own products.
    10-15-13 12:29 AM
    Wrong. But close. Try again.
    OK, master gunner for an M1A1.

Close is right.
    10-15-13 12:34 AM
    OK, master gunner for an M1A1.

Close is right.
    Ding, ding. We have a winner.
    10-15-13 06:13 AM