08-04-10 01:27 AM
46 12
tools
    08-01-10 03:39 AM
    08-01-10 03:43 AM
    The official announcement received by Text Messaging talks of totally blocking BB Services.

On their site it says:

Etisalat was informed on August 1, 2010 by the UAE Telecom Regulatory Authority (TRA) to suspend BlackBerry services providing email, web browsing, instant messaging and social networking from October 11, 2010 until an acceptable solution can be developed and applied which brings the BlackBerry services in line with the UAEs telecommunications regulations. This is an important decision made by the Regulatory Authority and we fully understand the legal and social considerations behind the decision.

Etisalat has an obligation to act within the law and the regulations of the TRA, while at the same time, providing our customers with the best service. It is very important for us to ensure our customers enjoy continuity of services.

Etisalat's focus at the current time is to make sure its valued customers experience continuity of mobility services. In line with its commitment towards its customers, Etisalat will soon be announcing a range of alternative mobility products and services for its existing blackberry customers.

Please monitor the Etisalat website, etisalat.ae for further updates on this.
    08-01-10 03:56 AM
    The wait for OS6 ends - time to start waiting for Android 3.0 :P
    08-01-10 05:07 AM
    So BAD really
    we read this today morning we start our week with bad and sad news
    08-01-10 05:41 AM
    wats RIM doing Abt it ??
    08-01-10 06:03 AM
    do nothing. its just a small UAE...ITS NOT THE END OF WORLD!!!
    08-01-10 07:11 AM
    Actually, I'm pretty certain RIM will eventually give in somehow. They've given in to India, and so other countries will follow suit.
    08-01-10 08:23 AM
    Erm, it's a pretty rich small UAE...
    08-01-10 08:43 AM
    This is probably the first time I agree to everything Civic said. Such a constructive approach.

Hope it isn't the last one.
    08-01-10 10:45 AM
    Lol. The UAE is extremely wealthy. I doubt RIM will just "do nothing".
    08-01-10 11:32 AM
    This is actually good news. I really wish RIM wouldn't give in on this. I don't want snoopy governments in on the BB network. It's bad enough it's under the control of another country now. Also, everyone knows that if you want to plan secretive isht, you use BBM. No news there... this is one of the reasons why all these countries are trying to crack down on the communications. They can't monitor them and in some respects, this is a problem.

If you ask me, RIM should do the responsible thing and police themselves. They should monitor their own communications for key words or phrases with state of the art software and if found, turn that communications and originating info (carrier pointers) to the authorities. Then let the authorities go after the carriers to fish for further info on the users behind it all. This way, they don't allow anyone else inside the RIM NOC and they also show the world that they care about what goes on inside their networks.

If they want to be the #1 mobile secure solution for the world, it's also their responsibility to make sure that security isn't used for doing bad. However, they don't need to police it via outside sources, either physically or technologically. They need an inside cyber crime team to monitor these issues.... they already have people on staff tracking stupid isht like leaks and whatnot for the company anyway. Put those jokers to real work instead of stupid stuff like tracking down who's taking a pic of the latest 9800 or searching and taking down YouTube videos of their stupid handsets the entire tech world already knows about anyway.
    RM doesn't actually want to do anything. They are not the police or government and they could jeopardize their core business. It's a bad trend getting business to act as a front for government, communism here we come.
    08-01-10 04:45 PM
    This is probably the first time I agree to everything Civic said. Such a constructive approach.

Hope it isn't the last one.
    How on earth is constructive to have corporations police the airwaves that their customers pay to use to find "offending chatter" (yeah define that) and turn them in. Oh and if they are jailed, tortured or killed, well that just the cost of doing business.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-10 05:12 PM
    I was pretty furious this morning when I heard the news, but after calming down and going over the facts this is the conclusion I have come to;
    im no fan of big brother snoopin in on my business,,, but these are the times we live in I guess and I dont have anything to hide. If governments are snooping in on our iphones and other phones why should BB's be any different. I am pretty sure RIM will give in, while one could argue that the middle east markets dont have that high a subscriber base to hurt rim, India on the other hand is a market that everyone is after and they have threatened to follow suit, since it is claimed that the mumbai bomber terrorists used BB's to orchestrate their attacks.
    Again at the end of the day I would be happier knowing no one was reading my stuff but im a realist and RIM is just being stupidly stubborn. At the end of the day they are in the telecommunications business and in this business the authorities determine if and how you are permitted to operate your business in said territory. Even though we would all like it to be this way, Rim has no right to hold such a stance, otherwise they should just pull out of half the markets in the world.
    my 2 pennies.
    08-01-10 05:20 PM
    Perhaps the Israeli "hit squad" were also using BBs in Dubai... Just a thought.
    08-01-10 05:28 PM
    The political powers of the UAE are banning RIM because RIM is making it harder for them to exercise complete psuedo-theocratic control. They government there doesn't want an open forum for discussion, that's how you lose power as a dictatorship.
    08-01-10 05:42 PM
    Perhaps the Israeli "hit squad" were also using BBs in Dubai... Just a thought.
    I hope you guys don't believe for one second that if governments can intercept bbm the world will be a better place, terrorism has been around for far longer then blackberry existed.

I mean do you really believe terrorists will hold franc conversations about what they're gonna blow up next day on bbm or any other method?

It's just a scare tactic to give themselves more power.
    08-01-10 08:08 PM
    I hope you guys don't believe for one second that if governments can intercept bbm the world will be a better place, terrorism has been around for far longer then blackberry existed.

I mean do you really believe terrorists will hold franc conversations about what they're gonna blow up next day on bbm or any other method?

It's just a scare tactic to give themselves more power.
    Of course they do! They even have BBM groups for that sort of stuff. lol
    08-01-10 10:10 PM
    Of course they do! They even have BBM groups for that sort of stuff. lol
    Lol, complete with a shared calendar that abruptly ends in one day

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-10 01:12 AM
    countries are run by governments not by telecommunication companies and that's what happens when you abuse a freedom which was given to you by the government and start using that freedom to attack the rules and others ..

i think blackberry services were launched in 2006 in the UAE but that was not a issue until last year when BBM users started spreading rumors and attacking VIP's which was not acceptable by UAE laws.. but the government couldn't trace or enforce the law on these ppl.

although we might disagree with these laws .. but each country has laws which other don't ... that does not make them good or bad .. I might agree on a law which many might disagree .. but at the end the government is the regulator and the enforcer of these laws.

for example I disagree with the law of allowing ppl to own arms in the US and I think many agree with me. does this mean that the UAE have to have that law too ...no.. and I totally agree with them.

as much as i hate loosing my BB services but I think the BBM users in the UAE were asking for it and it was just a matter of time .. and the time is up .

and to who ever thinks it's just a scare tactic .. i say your totally wrong

and one more thing ..

RIM is looking after profits right?? how secure we are with RIM? they have our data and they can do what ever they want when ever they want..isn't that right?
    Last edited by killerbuzz; 08-02-10 at 05:24 PM.
    08-02-10 05:20 PM
    and one more thing ..

RIM is looking after profits right?? how secure we are with RIM? they have our data and they can do what ever they want when ever they want..isn't that right?
    I thought that it was a three part encryption process, involving the handset, the server and software or summat like that?

In that case, even RIM couldn't decrypt your messages since they don't have all three keys. I'm also pretty sure that if they even did have your data, it wouldn't be theirs to do what ever they want with it.

I think it's a shame the UAE felt this was necessary, they're pretty switched on in other areas when it comes to human rights. I'm not entirely sure that this would be that significant a step in protecting VIPs from attack, surely not all terrorists use BlackBerrys?

It's interesting that you mention the right to bare arms in the USA since that right allows individuals to keep arms without government interference for their own personal protection in their homes.
    Last edited by dodger_moore; 08-02-10 at 05:34 PM.
    08-02-10 05:30 PM
    countries are run by governments not by telecommunication companies and that's what happens when you abuse a freedom which was given to you by the government and start using that freedom to attack the rules and others ..

I think blackberry services were launched in 2006 in the uae but that was not a issue until last year when bbm users started spreading rumors and attacking vip's which was not acceptable by uae laws.. But the government couldn't trace or enforce the law on these ppl.

Although we might disagree with these laws .. But each country has laws which other don't ... That does not make them good or bad .. I might agree on a law which many might disagree .. But at the end the government is the regulator and the enforcer of these laws.

For example i disagree with the law of allowing ppl to own arms in the us and i think many agree with me. Does this mean that the uae have to have that law too ...no.. And i totally agree with them.

As much as i hate loosing my bb services but i think the bbm users in the uae were asking for it and it was just a matter of time .. And the time is up .

And to who ever thinks it's just a scare tactic .. I say your totally wrong

and one more thing ..

Rim is looking after profits right?? How secure we are with rim? They have our data and they can do what ever they want when ever they want..isn't that right?
    troll!!!!!
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 08-02-10 at 06:01 PM.
    08-02-10 05:56 PM
    Well if I'm a large corporation traveling to/thru UAE I don't want my business' information and/or trade secrets being monitored by them. If that is their law, then we don't do business with them. That will have an impact....
    08-02-10 06:17 PM
    troll!!!!!
    I'm sorry if i didn't get what you mean .. but this is my opinion and you might accept it or reject it .. I'm a UAE citizen and I do like the BB services but I hate the way it was used in my country lately.

and I know there are many things that you might disagree with me. but that is a part of freedom which we all enjoy.

I don't know how the encryption on the BB's is done but i have my doubts that RIM might be able to decrypt it.
    08-02-10 06:25 PM

i think blackberry services were launched in 2006 in the UAE but that was not a issue until last year when BBM users started spreading rumors and attacking VIP's which was not acceptable by UAE laws.. but the government couldn't trace or enforce the law on these ppl.

although we might disagree with these laws .. but each country has laws which other don't ... that does not make them good or bad .. I might agree on a law which many might disagree .. but at the end the government is the regulator and the enforcer of these laws.

for example I disagree with the law of allowing ppl to own arms in the US and I think many agree with me. does this mean that the UAE have to have that law too ...no.. and I totally agree with them.

as much as i hate loosing my BB services but I think the BBM users in the UAE were asking for it and it was just a matter of time .. and the time is up .

and to who ever thinks it's just a scare tactic .. i say your totally wrong

and one more thing ..

your tin-foil hat is coming loose.
    08-02-10 06:28 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD