source: Two More Executives Leaving BlackBerry - WSJ.com

TORONTOThe leadership upheaval at BlackBerry Ltd. BB.T +2.07% continues under interim Chief Executive John Chen, according to people familiar with the matter.

The smartphone maker's executive vice president in charge of global sales, Rick Costanzo, will be leaving the company by early next year, according to these people. Chris Wormald, who was in charge of BlackBerry's mergers and acquisitions strategy, will be gone by the end of this month, according to one of these people.

Both men, long-term employees, couldn't be reached for comment. The company declined to comment.

Their departures would come just weeks after BlackBerry's chief marketing officer, chief operation officer and chief financial officer left the Waterloo, Ontario, company, which scrapped a plan to sell itself last month when it named Mr. Chen interim chief executive.

BlackBerry's Next Move
    When Mr. Chen took over, he told employees during a town-hall meeting, "Things are going to get worse before they get better," and that, "Not all of you will be here," according to a person in attendance that day.

Large-scale layoffs were already under way. Saddled with a large inventory of unsold phones and weak sales, BlackBerry said it September it would shed 4,500 employees, of about 40% of its workforce.

Mr. Chen was tasked with picking up the pieces from the failed effort to sell BlackBerry and with figuring out a way forward for a smartphone maker that no longer sells many smartphones. How he plans to do that remains unclear.

Mr. Chen's only public comment so far has been in an open letter to the company's business clients, in which he wrote that BlackBerry is "very much alive."

Analysts and investors will be looking for more specifics from Mr. Chen this Friday, when the company announces its fiscal third-quarter earnings. Most analysts expect almost every financial metric to have worsened.
    12-16-13 03:33 AM
    Quick, let's all feign surprise!
    12-16-13 03:38 AM
    Any replacements? Or is it going to be king Chen Ist? Be nice if he can get around to announcing a bit of strategy once in a while...
    12-16-13 04:38 AM
    I'm starting to get the feeling you've moved beyond the natural human need for sleep, or that there are multiple Bla1zes (Bla1zii if you will) that take shifts reading through the forums.

I swear you're on here 24hrs a day haha

On topic, this isn't overly surprising. Global sales aren't great and someone needs to take responsibility for it, the executive vice president of global sales makes sense. Also the company isn't exactly in a position to make a lot of further acquisitions or mergers at the moment. Also some would argue that past mergers should have been more tightly integrated into the company. Therefore it makes sense to eliminate this position for now.

Hopefully we move onto to better and brighter days under Mr. Chen's leadership. I personally welcome the shake up this time around!

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 04:42 AM
    OMG!!!!!!!
    OMG!!!!!!!
    OMG!!!!!!!

How's that?
    12-16-13 04:55 AM
    Any replacements? Or is it going to be king Chen Ist? Be nice if he can get around to announcing a bit of strategy once in a while...
    That's what I'm interested in. It's all firing and no hiring so far.
    12-16-13 04:57 AM
    OMG! I can't believe it!

No surprises, more to come no doubt

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 05:51 AM
    OMG! I can't believe it!

No surprises, more to come no doubt

Posted via CB10

EVP of global sales, yeah since the sales of BlackBerry devices have tanked that would be a good exec to get rid of.
    12-16-13 06:19 AM
    So some azzhat commented after one of these articles that the delusional fanboys over at Crackberry would somehow try to spin this into something positive.

Somebody tell me how this isn't positive.
    12-16-13 07:55 AM
    EVP of global sales, yeah since the sales of BlackBerry devices have tanked that would be a good exec to get rid of.
    Oh come on. How was it his fault. These phones should have been able to sell themselves.
    kbz1960 and Sith_Apprentice like this.
    12-16-13 07:57 AM
    That's what I'm interested in. It's all firing and no hiring so far.
    Well, I'd rather them take their time and get someone who would be a good fit for the position and not Alicia Keyes the job.
    12-16-13 08:48 AM
    New boss comes in and gets rid of existing staff and puts in his/her own.

Normal.

Posted via CB10
    Sith_Apprentice and web99 like this.
    12-16-13 09:51 AM
    New boss comes in and gets rid of existing staff and puts in his/her own.

Normal.

Posted via CB10
    The article does not state whether execs were terminated or left on their own volition.
    12-16-13 10:03 AM
    The article does not state whether execs were terminated or left on their own volition.
    Well that's the way or goes.

People leave. Whether they were invited to leave or whether they left of their own accord is generally uncouth to discuss outright.

Not saying it's right or wrong. Just how it goes.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    12-16-13 10:13 AM
    We saw this all the time at PreCentral as Palm/webOS was going down the toilet. Someone would leaves or gets fired. Then, forum members, without any information other than the person's job title, say something to the effect of "Good riddance. They must have really sucked at their job."

It's both predictable and pointless. It's as if you were laid off from the IT department of your company and someone here said "Well, [your company] always seemed to have problems with their computer systems so you deserve it."
    12-16-13 10:20 AM
    It's two people big deal. I laid off five people last week. Only difference is when I do it. The media does not care.

Posted via CB10
    web99 and ARQ-Keighley like this.
    12-16-13 10:21 AM
    Painful but necessary....and quite deserving in this case !

Usually its the rank and file that bears the brunt of the layoffs, it's nice to see the senior management taking some lumps as opposed to sitting back with their inflated salaries, shedding buckets of crocodile tears as the mass layoffs at the lower levels are executed.

They made the decisions; they need to bear the consequences.
    12-16-13 10:29 AM
    Because even if it was "voluntary" it could have been a forced "voluntary" exit.
    Company's like to save face for them and the person leaving by stating that someone is pursuing other opportunities.
    12-16-13 10:35 AM
    The 20th a Big day for Chen. It's easy to wield the axe but he needs to lay out a new positive strategy very soon and put a team in place to deliver it. Every day that passes his credibility drops by a fraction. Harsh but true.
    milo53 likes this.
    12-16-13 05:28 PM
    I'm starting to get the feeling you've moved beyond the natural human need for sleep, or that there are multiple Bla1zes (Bla1zii if you will) that take shifts reading through the forums.

On topic, this isn't overly surprising. Global sales aren't great and someone needs to take responsibility for it, the executive vice president of global sales makes sense. Also the company isn't exactly in a position to make a lot of further acquisitions or mergers at the moment. Also some would argue that past mergers should have been more tightly integrated into the company. Therefore it makes sense to eliminate this position for now.

Hopefully we move onto to better and brighter days under Mr. Chen's leadership. I personally welcome the shake up this time around!

Posted via CB10
    They left the firm, Globe and Mail......

On Monday, the Waterloo, Ont. smartphone maker confirmed that Rick Costanzo, executive vice-president of global sales, and Chris Wormald, vice- president of strategic alliances, have decided to leave the company. Both are believed to have left on their own volition after finding jobs elsewhere.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-17-13 12:51 AM
    They left for other positions...wouldn't you?
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-17-13 12:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think Bla1ze uses the 1 hour work and 3 hour sleep cycle repeated 6 times each day to give the illusion of omnipresence.
    12-17-13 03:07 PM
    They left for other positions...wouldn't you?
    Looks like they were replaced.
    12-17-13 08:52 PM
    No real surprise there. Whenever a new CEO comes in, he or she will put their most trusted people in key executive positions. CEO Chen is doing that.

He has already brought in John Simms to head Global Enterprise services and chances are you will see more of his appointments in the coming weeks.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...ices-unit.html

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    12-18-13 05:11 AM
    I think Bla1ze uses the 1 hour work and 3 hour sleep cycle repeated 6 times each day to give the illusion of omnipresence.
    ^^ Crap, he's onto me.
    12-18-13 07:06 AM