Turing Phone: The hacker-resistant smartphone with stretchable storage - TechRepublic

Chen mentioned the Samsung's Knox and Blackphone. He didn't mention this one, even though it's been announced for a while.

Why can a small manufacturer pull off something like the above? Also features hardware keys...

Is BlackBerry "too mainstream" and has to cater to volume and "public demand" by gov't, enterprise as well as "other interests" ...?

:-D

  Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)  
    10-26-15 07:05 PM
    Scenario:
    Let's say that Chen mention blackphone, Samsung Knox and Turning phone.
    Crackberrian be like: Z0mg le j.chen mentionz all competit0rs except themselvz. #IneedMyBlackBerry #BBisDoom

I don't have patience to sugarcoat things.
    10-26-15 07:31 PM
    Cooler phone than I thought, but it's still only half imagined. We'll see if it's delivered.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 11:03 AM
    The Turing phone is really just a company begging for a buyout. They can't build with any scale and haven't proved any support as of yet. They just want to get sold to someone larger, or to find licensing deals for their patents. At the end of the day, it's no different than half of the tech companies now that have nothing more than a subset of a feature as their primary product since their business plan really relies on them getting bought by one of the big players.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 06:07 AM
    Cheers for the input.... :-)

 Priv New (Chendroid) World...? :-| 
    11-04-15 07:43 PM
    Turing = BB Priv released as a Porsche model.
    11-04-15 07:46 PM
    Why does a company have to be bought to be successful? What kind of stupinomics am I hearing? Isn't it possible for Turing Robotics which actually works in Robotics to build a phone which works, mind you, Foxxcon is the partner hear for the assembly I believe? So every small company has to be bought out to be successful, any buyer suggested for BlackBerry then folks? It's very tiring to hear and read the crap of buy outs as a recipe for success, that went really well for Nokia didn't it? Good thing the person who suggest buy out don't work anywhere near the industry.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 09:31 AM
    I've worked in technology for over a decade and came from investment banking before that. I've seen companies like this spring up time and time again and being bought out by a larger company in order to let the founders go onto their next venture.

Turing shows no real way of building a credible market ready device that can generate the kind of profits to build a company without a buyout or some kind of licensing agreement. They have a product feature that they're currently trying to market as a full fledged product.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-15 07:17 AM
    One issue of the phone is that many people are allergic to the metals in the case. Do I want a phone that turns green because of my acidic skin oils or a rash from the nickel

Posted via CB10
    12-28-15 09:51 PM
    This "stretchable storage" is the deal breaker for anyone concerned about security. It cuts up your files in a bunch of pieces and stores them on other people's devices. I'm sure in practice this can still be secure but anyone who really needs security won't come close to this device.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-16 08:59 AM
    This "stretchable storage" is the deal breaker for anyone concerned about security. It cuts up your files in a bunch of pieces and stores them on other people's devices. I'm sure in practice this can still be secure but anyone who really needs security won't come close to this device.

Posted via CB10
    You might be hosting child exploitation material on your own phone without knowing. It's not transparent. Even the possibility might put some people off...

:-)

(we don't want to support such behaviour. Still, a few unruly ones are ruining it for the many!)

Edit:

Also, what about the data use? Whose gonna pay if someone really sees this as unlimited storage and makes use of it?
    Are the other users going to get charged for someone else uploading a ton of files (like DVD rips & Co.) to the common pool of shared storage?
    Wifi only? What happens if a user goes offline, or chucks a phone? Where's the redundancy? ... and many more questions... :-)

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    01-17-16 05:27 PM