07-14-15 06:33 PM
    The Turing Phone is a 5.5-inch smartphone, running Android 5.1, but its like nothing youve seen before. It has a sharply curved, multi-colored shell, and a patterned back, borrowed from spaceship designs and the result of thousands, literally thousands of sketches. (The spaceship Endurance from Interstellar was particularly inspirational.) It comes in three models: Pharaoh, Cardinal, and Beowulf. Each one takes color and texture cues from the source material, like the scales from Grendels Mother in Beowulf. Its actually a little under-specced, with an older Snapdragon processor and only 16GB of storage in the entry-level model, though it does have a 13-megapixel rear camera and an 8-megapixel model on the front.

The phone has no USB port, and no headphone jack. Theres just a single, proprietary jack that looks a little like the MacBooks MagSafe, and Bluetooth.

Its software is completely, entirely customized; all Chao had to show in a demo were a few homescreens, but hes supremely confident its going to be a masterpiece. He promises a total overhaul of Android, a giant improvement on Googles vision across the board. He imagines the phone is for designersChao is an architect both by disposition and trainingas well as anyone who wants something a little different from the black rectangles that blanket the worlds carrier stores.

Turing wont market the phone this way, but the phone is designed with security very much in mind. End-to-end encryption is built into most of the core apps on the phone. It even has a Turing coin inside, a cryptocurrency Chao hopes will catch onif he does, he laughs, your phone could literally appreciate in value after you buy it. Its all activated through a fingerprint reader on the side of the phone, and is made to keep servers and third parties out of your business as much as possible (the company is*working on an API to let other people access all these features). In short: The Turing Phone is meant to be completely and utterly unhackable.
    Unbreakable, too. Its made of a material called liquidmorphium. (Im telling you, this is a Marvel comic waiting to happen.) Liquidmorphium is stronger than steel or aluminum, more efficient to use in manufacturing, and apparently the next big thing in phones. Apple uses it a bit, Chao says, but only in the SIM card slot on the iPhonethough he says the iPhone 7 could make much more use of the material.

The phone is also extraordinarily waterproof, thanks to a nano-coating on the internals. Theres no rubber, though, and everything is accessible and open, SYL Chao says (SYL are his initialshe goes by Steve). If you put the Turing Phone in the water, its not designed to be sealed, and water will get in. Just pull it out, shake it off, and go about your business.

Remember these three features, Chao says: privacy keys, liquid metal, nano-coating. These features are like the GPS, Wi-Fi, and camera of the early days of smartphones. People were like, Why do I need that? But then they were standardized. In the future, if you dont have liquid metal, nano-coating, and a privacy key, youll be phased out right away. Oh, and just in case you didnt believe him: I can assure you, he says, the three things Im talking about are the same things Apple is considering right now.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 06:34 PM
    "But does it have apps...??!" :-\

  "Chenminators ready...? Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."  
    CecilTsunami likes this.
    07-15-15 07:13 AM
    Darn we heard this before, Black Phone anyone.
    Erik_1991 and pgg101 like this.
    07-15-15 09:02 AM
    The design looks awesome, and the materials are great too. The proprietary single port sucks though.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 01:22 PM
    Yep black phone all over again. But sounds like the trekkies will love it!!!!
    07-15-15 01:25 PM
    Not liking the idea of a propriety port...
    Sent using tapatalk!
    07-15-15 01:39 PM
    Darn we heard this before, Black Phone anyone.
    ... except that this really isn't making security its calling card.
    07-15-15 03:00 PM
    This is just a niche device.... oh wait a minute, how big is our niche?

Waterproof... should be standard on all phones.
    jas1978 likes this.
    07-15-15 04:32 PM
    The Turing Phone is a 5.5-inch smartphone, running Android 5.1, but it’s like nothing you’ve seen before
    Android and nothing you've seen before dont go together in the same sentence.
    07-19-15 12:40 PM
    Depends. There are 3 possible scenarios for this phone:

Actually secure: the OS is too modified to comply with Google Play licensing requirements, and installable apps are limited to ensure the advertised security is correct.
    Not completely secure: the OS is too modified to comply with Google Play licensing requirements, but it does include Amazon app store or 1Mobile or something to get access to many (potentially unsecured) apps.
    False advertising: The OS is OHA compliant and comes with Google play.
    07-19-15 01:21 PM
    Depends. There are 3 possible scenarios for this phone:

Actually secure: the OS is too modified to comply with Google Play licensing requirements, and installable apps are limited to ensure the advertised security is correct.
    Not completely secure: the OS is too modified to comply with Google Play licensing requirements, but it does include Amazon app store or 1Mobile or something to get access to many (potentially unsecured) apps.
    False advertising: The OS is OHA compliant and comes with Google play.
    Yeah this phone sounds like a joke. Ugly design too.
    07-20-15 06:19 PM
    Yep black phone all over again. But sounds like the trekkies will love it!!!!
    I am a trekkie, and I don't love it, or like it.

- Joel ---- Posted via CB10 app
    07-22-15 03:21 PM
    Their are a number of player in the High Security Game.... just don't know of any of them that are getting any traction. KNOX is about the only one I've heard of companies buying, and it not really at this level of security.
    07-22-15 03:28 PM
    Having trouble seeing how it is different from any other rectangular slab phone. I agree with some of the other comments: how to secure an Android device while allowing apps to have access.
    If they can market a device and make a business of it. I wish them the best, I am all for the entrepreneur.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    07-22-15 07:17 PM
    Their are a number of player in the High Security Game.... just don't know of any of them that are getting any traction. KNOX is about the only one I've heard of companies buying, and it not really at this level of security.
    The difference of course is that KNOX is certified and Samsung can provide support as needed.
    07-22-15 07:47 PM

  "Chenminators ready...? Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."  
    This just sounds to me like it will have a crippled app store. Most Android apps desire a lot of permissions. How does that work with complete security?

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 10:19 PM
    Can VPN work perfectly with this? I just wonder because I am using it for me to feel safer than any other network.
    07-23-15 11:49 AM
    "Weirdly, it doesn’t feature a USB port or a headphone jack, instead coming equipped with one proprietary jack."

Proprietary jacks are a huge strike against, in my opinion.
    Last edited by sgosh; 07-23-15 at 02:20 PM.
    07-23-15 11:59 AM
    Looks awful and sounds worse.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 01:13 PM
    "Weirdly, it doesn’t feature a USB port or a headphone jack, instead coming equipped with one proprietary jack."

Propriety jacks are a huge strike against, in my opinion.
    Apparently it's easier then hooking up barrel-connecter circuitry to a MicroUSB port.
    07-23-15 02:15 PM
    Cool

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 09:09 AM
    I personally think given the fact security is an issue worldwide in mobile, we will see more companies coming forward offering security. I personally won't chide any one offering security. It's the execution which matters. Chances are it may come off, it may not. Here's the issue, what is BlackBerry doing to save it's hardware division? Coming from a Z10 I'm still loving the brand and BB10 OS which I think is one of the best in the business.

However, turning to Android hasn't exactly made BlackBerry an Apple, and rightfully so, it's not as large. But it seems the PRIV hasn't been the outright savior as expected. Reading the earnings report there has been progress, however limited it maybe. Software will have to be the mainstay for BlackBerry for the near future. The mobile world has evolved at a relatively quick pace, finger print scanners have become the main means of physical security, chips and GPUs have also improved. Security claims aren't enough. The mobile customer is fickle, and apps are the big draw.

So before I join the band wagon and knock any attempt to provide security outside of BlackBerry, let's pause to see what they're offering, as much as the Black phone was a joke when they proposed the idea, it came to fruition, albeit it's not a number one seller, there's a BP2, think about it. What Turing Robotics is offering at heart isn't anything different(save the liquidmorphium) than any new start up hoping to get a toe in wouldn't. Which begs us to ask one serious question; can there be a secured mobile life out BlackBerry? Think it's a question which needs to be answered. Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 09:23 AM