12-30-15 01:44 PM
120 ... 345
tools
    I'm hoping that the Android slider is successful enough to give BlackBerry the funds it needs to maintain BB10. A case of "do what you have to so you can do what you want to". If the slider fails, BlackBerry OS and hardware will be shut down, and we outliers will be left hanging on to our less and less functional tech anachronisms. But if it succeeds, BB10 will likely continue to be supported and updated.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    This! My thoughts exactly. Hoping Priv brings in some much needed hardware revenue so BB10 will stay alive, and maybe one new BB10 and one new Android device per year. Crossing fingers anyway.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 10:05 PM
    You guys do realize that a lot of general consumers are going to assume the BlackBerry Priv is a BlackBerry phone and not android right...

It's like if you sold a phone called the Windows Blah but it ran IOS. A bunch of people won't even give it a look.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 01:50 AM
    You guys do realize that a lot of general consumers are going to assume the BlackBerry Priv is a BlackBerry phone and not android right...

It's like if you sold a phone called the Windows Blah but it ran IOS. A bunch of people won't even give it a look.

Posted via CB10
    Lol. Windows RT. A Windows OS that can't run Windows applications.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-27-15 09:12 PM
    Todays interview on BlackBerry 10's future didn't give any answer - not even faith that it is here to stay.
    Really frustrating.
    10-08-15 03:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. They never got consumers to figure out that BB10 was different from BBOS. Consumers are going to think that BlackBerry Priv is no different than BBOS/BB10 so they will have to spend a LOT on advertising which they won't do as Chen is TRYING to get out of the hardware business.
    10-08-15 05:00 PM
    Exactly. They never got consumers to figure out that BB10 was different from BBOS. Consumers are going to think that BlackBerry Priv is no different than BBOS/BB10 so they will have to spend a LOT on advertising which they won't do as Chen is TRYING to get out of the hardware business.
    Yeah they somehow did a worse job at showing how BB10 was better/different than BBOS than they did with showing how BBOS 7 was better/different than previous OSes. Their marketing has been going backwards, not forwards... This is part of the reason why it doesn't matter what phone BB sells, ultimately they will not succeed on the hardware/ecosystem front.
    10-08-15 05:25 PM
    Yeah they somehow did a worse job at showing how BB10 was better/different than BBOS than they did with showing how BBOS 7 was better/different than previous OSes. Their marketing has been going backwards, not forwards... This is part of the reason why it doesn't matter what phone BB sells, ultimately *they will not succeed on the hardware/ecosystem front*.
    What makes you think that?
    We haven't even gotten any such sales figures, the Priv hasn't even been sold yet either. Assuming before it even happens is silly.
    10-08-15 06:12 PM
    What makes you think that?
    We haven't even gotten any such sales figures, the Priv hasn't even been sold yet either. Assuming before it even happens is silly.
    Because their marketing and CS has not improved thus far, that plus the brand image issues with switching to an android device with the BB name on it for general users who don't know and won't learn the difference. That and the pricing and niche keyboard market compared to comparable devices. That and the lack of motivation for existing BB10 customers to support this new venture.

Call it silly, we will see what happens post launch.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-08-15 07:15 PM
    Lol. Windows RT. A Windows OS that can't run Windows applications.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Most people figured that out after the purchase....

:-(

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy...! ;-) 
    10-08-15 10:58 PM
    If they do stop development, I really hope they open source it, so the community can continue development. The analogy that comes to mind is IBM deciding to stop development on its AFS product (industrial super-secure global-scale cross-platform filesystem-oriented file sharing), and the OpenAFS project took it over. The product was super-niche, used mainly by large academic institutions and some large businesses. A tiny pool of potentially interested developers; and yet it's now even more stable and significantly more feature-rich than before. I think the number of developers with the interest and skill to continue BB10 development would be at least an order of magnitude greater, if not two.
    10-11-15 03:13 PM
    If they do stop development, I really hope they open source it, so the community can continue development. The analogy that comes to mind is IBM deciding to stop development on its AFS product (industrial super-secure global-scale cross-platform filesystem-oriented file sharing), and the OpenAFS project took it over. The product was super-niche, used mainly by large academic institutions and some large businesses. A tiny pool of potentially interested developers; and yet it's now even more stable and significantly more feature-rich than before. I think the number of developers with the interest and skill to continue BB10 development would be at least an order of magnitude greater, if not two.
    BB10=QNX. It's a front end interface to it. There already is a community side to QNX software systems. The front-end however wouldn't be a bad thing for portable devices, or even laptops, but would be nice if it had an Exit option to bring it back to the default underlying QNX Photon desktop interface most commonly known.
    10-11-15 03:18 PM
    BB10=QNX. It's a front end interface to it. There already is a community side to QNX software systems. The front-end however wouldn't be a bad thing for portable devices, or even laptops, but would be nice if it had an Exit option to bring it back to the default underlying QNX Photon desktop interface most commonly known.
    BB10!=QNX.
    BB10 is a mobile operating system built on top of QNX.
    I would guess that neither QNX or BB10 will be open sourced anytime soon.
    10-11-15 03:32 PM
    That's the truth. It's close to 100 percent of the folks that notice my Passport truthfully had no idea BlackBerry was still in business.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 05:01 PM
    Android will likely be the consumers phone. BB10 for government and any corporation serious about security.

The Ontario government continues to deploy BB10 devices. Today I was in the elevator at Queens Park and there was my Passport (personal), 2 other government passports, my Q10 along with 4 others. Pretty much everyone in the elevator was sporting at least 1 blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Right on point IMO.
    Years ago I remember reading how government officials and high ranking military officers, quote, "wanted THEIR BlackBerry back." I immediately understood this to mean no more BlackBerry for the public, and the major push on the remaining BlackBerry users and rest of the public with android and iphones. I believe this was right around the time BB10 came out. Does anyone remember reading something like this?

I have a friend I've known for over 45 years, who I haven't seen in at least 20 years, were catching up our history when I found out he still works for a company that makes satellites. The kind of satellites that as he said, "can see us anywhere and hear all our conversations, especially mobile conversations." So what do I do, I tell him that's why I like BlackBerry. He says, "we don't like BlackBerry, we can tap into them, but it takes an awful lot of work to get into them. Android and Apple cell phones, no problem at all."

For me, I'll probably keep BlackBerry until they stop working.

Posted via CB10
    Notna Nosyel likes this.
    10-12-15 07:10 AM
    Teacher: BB10? BB10? BB10?
    Simone: Um, BB10 is sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw BB10 pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
    Teacher: Thank you, Simone.
    Simone: No problem whatsoever.

(In reality BB10 is off at a party you were not invited to!)
    10-28-15 01:33 PM
    BB10 is not dead, but it is going down a chute designed by Temple Grandin. I hear there is a surprise behind the curtain.
    ALToronto, thurask and Bbnivende like this.
    10-28-15 02:20 PM
    BB10 is not dead, but it is going down a chute designed by Temple Grandin. I hear there is a surprise behind the curtain.
    Just as a random aside - Temple Grandin is a really interesting person...
    10-28-15 03:11 PM
    Teacher: BB10? BB10? BB10?
    Simone: Um, BB10 is sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw BB10 pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
    Teacher: Thank you, Simone.
    Simone: No problem whatsoever.

(In reality BB10 is off at a party you were not invited to!)
    Fry? Fry? Fry? Fry?
    10-28-15 08:32 PM
    Oh, that is truly evil. And lost on most of the people here.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    10-30-15 12:05 AM
    Thank you for ALL your replies.

So nothing it seems that nothing is really official.
    Really hope that all those rumors just are made up, because don't really want to switch to any other platform.

Even if BlackBerry made it possible to have a secure version of Android it would not be my appeal to me.

Posted via CB10
    This rumor has been out there for a couple years. It isn't official but BB10 market share has dropped since it was released. It is well under 1% now and heading to zero. That can't continue.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-15 01:44 PM
120 ... 345