12-30-15 01:44 PM
120 ... 2345
tools
    Might be the reason why BlackBerry is making their own versions of Facebook, Twitter and so on.
    The reason BB made their own versions of Facebook and Twitter is because those are the two biggest social media services, neither of which would make clients for BB10, but both of which have public APIs, allowing third parties (like BB) to make alternative apps. If BB10 hadn't had FB or Twitter at launch, that would have signaled failure before the launch could even be completed - those apps are "minimum table stakes" these days.
    09-21-15 09:00 PM
    The reason BB made their own versions of Facebook and Twitter is because those are the two biggest social media services, neither of which would make clients for BB10, but both of which have public APIs, allowing third parties (like BB) to make alternative apps. If BB10 hadn't had FB or Twitter at launch, that would have signaled failure before the launch could even be completed - those apps are "minimum table stakes" these days.
    Twitter writes the BlackBerry 10 Twitter app. I believe.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-22-15 01:59 AM
    I see your point.
    But I don't think that OS10 is really obsolete - sure too less native apps for consumers. But I think that is the price for privacy. Might be the reason why BlackBerry is making their own versions of Facebook, Twitter and so on.
    Privacy is becoming more and more important these days and a lot of apps that are built for iOS/Android are made mostly to snoop on users.
    I also know that there never 100% security, but OS10 made to protect users as much as possible.
    Would be sad if apps were over privacy.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry made those apps... most likely because Facebook and Twitter wouldn't. I've never heard of ANY features of those apps that indicate they protect your privacy over the "real" ones. It's assumed that if you use Social Media, privacy isn't your top concern in life.

In what ways do you think BB10 is protecting your privacy or some other platform? The are a few security features that BB10 offers (most notable obscurity), but the REAL security comes from BES and a IT department that knows how to lock down a device.
    09-22-15 07:16 AM
    Twitter writes the BlackBerry 10 Twitter app. I believe.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Yep appears Twitter does make the BB10 app.

Is it true? OS10 will be dying soon?!-img_20150922_101703.png

The Facebook app has BlackBerry as the maker of the app.

Posted via Z30
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-22-15 09:19 AM
    Lack of an ecosystem (native apps, services, media store, wearables, accessories, etc.).
    Lack of distribution (carriers actually stocking the phones in the stores to purchase that day).
    Lack of carrier relations (no training or sales programs for carrier store employees, who will recommend other devices to potential BB10 customers)
    Lack of marketing (premium store placement, in-store displays, functional demo units, etc.)
    Lack of after-sale support (having to deal with BB for repairs/replacements is awful, especially compared to Apple, who sets the standard).
    Lack of the most popular hardware configuration (16:9 all-touch) with competitive specs.
    Quite in agreement with this list.
    Surprisingly, it looks like five of these six points cannot be solved by going Android.
    09-22-15 01:50 PM
    I don't know, call me crazy but I'll take the word from Chen himself over some of you 'experts' "I don't drop handsets for two reasons," "It is the first line of defence in encryption.", "It is very difficult for BlackBerry to provide customers with end-to-end security if it doesn't have its own smartphones." Even though security is their bread and butter these days, looks like devices will still be a part of that so I wouldn't worry.

Posted via CB10
    Well, Chen words are about BB handsets not about BB10...maybe only Andriod "BB" handsets...
    Shlooky likes this.
    09-22-15 11:36 PM
    Well, Chen words are about BB handsets not about BB10...maybe only Andriod "BB" handsets...
    And today's story on The Register just keeps adding fuel to the "don't know whose info to trust" information fire

More BlackBerry layoffs: 200 Venice devs binned amid Android shift The Register - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09...roject_venice/

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    09-23-15 11:10 AM
    Hum...

one blogs are awash with photos and videos of the prototype BlackBerry Android debut, suggesting a carefully managed campaign to condition beleaguered BB10 loyalists into accepting their Googley new future.
    Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    09-23-15 11:17 AM
    Hum...

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    I wonder if I'm part of a super small minority, or if there are many of us BlackBerry users that wish to avoid anything to do with Google and Google accounts.
    Can't do Apple either for a million preference reasons.

If the rumors of BlackBerry going strictly android turn out to eventually be true, I'll just hold on to BlackBerry 10 for as long as it physically holds up lol.
    By then, I'm sure I will have figured out what to do.

09-23-15 11:24 AM
    And today's story on The Register just keeps adding fuel to the "don't know whose info to trust" information fire

More BlackBerry layoffs: 200 Venice devs binned amid Android shift The Register - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09...roject_venice/

Quite the spectacular load of BS they've spun together. Reuters says "a source says 200 people from hardware AND design were laid off" - hearsay at best, but let's take it as fact.

Turning that into "The Venice design team was laid off" takes a particularly pathetic type of "journalist", because no rational person can get there, period.

Arsehats.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 12:00 PM
    I wonder if I'm part of a super small minority, or if there are many of us BlackBerry users that wish to avoid anything to do with Google and Google accounts.

If the rumors of BlackBerry going strictly android turn out to eventually be true, I'll just hold on to BlackBerry 10 for as long as it physically holds up lol.

I'm in the exact same boat as you are. I'd not like to have Google Play Services constantly sending my persona info back to the mother ship. The Venice bieng an android phone produced by blackberry tells me that it will be non rootable, so there goes your only option to be able to remove your carriers bloatware.

If anyone complains about battery life on their bb10 devices then they're going to find out what real battery drain feels like when they make the switch to android.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2639/SR .2474  < α∂∂ιт > 
    jope28 and Allanon89 like this.
    09-23-15 12:15 PM
    Quite the spectacular load of BS they've spun together. Reuters says "a source says 200 people from hardware AND design were laid off" - hearsay at best, but let's take it as fact.

Turning that into "The Venice design team was laid off" takes a particularly pathetic type of "journalist", because no rational person can get there, period.

Arsehats.

Posted via CB10
    It's F.U.D. Not fact, I wouldn't ever take it as fact because that device hasn't even been released, and it's official name hasn't been set yet either. Unless we hear it from BlackBerry, it's bunk, bs, bollox, bull****e. It might even have come from somebody in their basement paying off someone to put up such an article. I don't trust the source.
    CarbonKevin likes this.
    09-23-15 01:18 PM
    Absolutely bbry are shrinking their hardware teams because it is a well known principle of development that the fewer staff you are the easier it is to work on two different OSes at the same time...
    techvisor and Blacklatino like this.
    09-25-15 02:30 AM
    The other difference is, the Mac business is profitable on its own. Apple might not sell a zillion of them, but they still take the lions' share of the profit in the PC industry, last I read.
    Apple actually sells quite a few Macs. Visit any Starbucks in Manhattan or San Francisco, or attend a Tech Conference that is not specifically about Microsoft technology and you will see mostly Macs. Google, Facebook and Dropbox mostly use Macs (Windows mostly banned at Google so its Mac or Linux if you work there). Even IBM is transitioning from Thinkpads to Macs. I suspect that one reason Windows Phones and Tablets get so little support from app developers is most US based startups use Macs.

FYI Retail (i.e. not Enterprise) market share for Macs in the US is around 26%. Their share of the over $1000 retail market is over 90%.
    lnichols likes this.
    09-25-15 08:36 AM

If you won't use Apple or Google products there is always Microsoft.
    09-25-15 08:37 AM
    I suspect that one reason Windows Phones and Tablets get so little support from app developers is most US based startups use Macs.
    that's funny, because when we were working on our budget for a windows phone app last year, someone pointed out "wait, we have to buy the team new laptops, right?" It turns out every single scrum master, developer and designer on all of our mobile teams were all using Macs! (We give everyone here a choice when they join and then again every anniversary after that)
    ADGrant likes this.
    09-25-15 08:41 AM
    Apple actually sells quite a few Macs. Visit any Starbucks in Manhattan or San Francisco, or attend a Tech Conference that is not specifically about Microsoft technology and you will see mostly Macs. Google, Facebook and Dropbox mostly use Macs (Windows mostly banned at Google so its Mac or Linux if you work there). Even IBM is transitioning from Thinkpads to Macs. I suspect that one reason Windows Phones and Tablets get so little support from app developers is most US based startups use Macs.

FYI Retail (i.e. not Enterprise) market share for Macs in the US is around 26%. Their share of the over $1000 retail market is over 90%.
    Yep. We use them for engineering workstations at work, and issue them as laptops for remote maintenance. More pricey, but have a much longer service life and don't require you to keep a herd of MCSE's around to keep everything up and running. Switched over to Macs at home except for my son's gaming rig due to my experience with them at work and they just work without constant maintenance.

Posted via Z30
    ADGrant likes this.
    09-25-15 09:03 AM
    that's funny, because when we were working on our budget for a windows phone app last year, someone pointed out "wait, we have to buy the team new laptops, right?" It turns out every single scrum master, developer and designer on all of our mobile teams were all using Macs! (We give everyone here a choice when they join and then again every anniversary after that)
    You can of course use something like Parallels to run Windows on your Mac.
    09-25-15 09:56 AM
    According to cbc:
    The Priv will also give users the option to choose between an Android version and one backed by BlackBerry's own operating system, known as BB10.

It's funny. I don't think john said that

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 09:58 AM
    Yep. We use them for engineering workstations at work, and issue them as laptops for remote maintenance. More pricey, but have a much longer service life and don't require you to keep a herd of MCSE's around to keep everything up and running. Switched over to Macs at home except for my son's gaming rig due to my experience with them at work and they just work without constant maintenance.

Posted via Z30

We are all Mac at home and I just converted my wife's Preschool to Macs (for the office, not the students of course). We found MacBooks actually aren't much more expensive than Windows laptops with decent build quality when you spec 8GB of RAM, a Core I5 and and SSD.

At work we use Windows but I am not going to support Windows users in my spare time.
    ALToronto likes this.
    09-25-15 10:00 AM
    BlackBerry made those apps... most likely because Facebook and Twitter wouldn't. I've never heard of ANY features of those apps that indicate they protect your privacy over the "real" ones. It's assumed that if you use Social Media, privacy isn't your top concern in life.

In what ways do you think BB10 is protecting your privacy or some other platform? The are a few security features that BB10 offers (most notable obscurity), but the REAL security comes from BES and a IT department that knows how to lock down a device.
    Third party app developers are not going to be building BB10 apps which pretty much kills it as a consumer platform. A lot of Enterprises lock down their BBs though so BB10 may still have a market there.
    09-25-15 10:02 AM
    Third party app developers are not going to be building BB10 apps which pretty much kills it as a consumer platform. A lot of Enterprises lock down their BBs though so BB10 may still have a market there.
    I agree they have a lot of enterprise customers and that some of those don't use the phones for more than just a dumb phone with email so apps don't matter.

What I don't know is how many of those customers there are and at what point BB10 device sales will stabilize. Or how long BB10 can be maintained without a full development team. Or how long those customers will continue not needing apps....

If BlackBerry had the resources, I think ending BB10 would be a good move. Use Android for those customers that need apps. And then rework BB10 into a BES/Secursmart device for those enterprise and government customers that MUST have more than what Android BlackBerry's are capable of. The volume won't be much, but they would be able to prices these devices to cover their cost... $1,200 to $2,000 a phone.

Either way... I think BB10 as we know it is not a platform I would invest in at this point.
    09-25-15 10:17 AM
    Unless we hear anything from the CEO, it's not going to happen. I don't follow rumours, frankly, I laugh them off.

Typed from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk for BlackBerry 7.1
    Gee, BB going Android was a rumor too.
    09-25-15 10:41 AM
    Looks that way. Time will tell but doesn't look promising.
    09-25-15 10:22 PM
    Yes, but not right away

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 10:34 PM
120 ... 2345