Apple's iPhone 4 most traded-in smartphone of 2013 - Telegraph

Interesting article that includes quite a few references to BlackBerry. Not entirely sure what to take from it though.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 10:13 PM
    Nothing. Who buys a phone based on what it may be worth down the road? It's old technology by the time you buy it and 'trade ins' with most companies are a really bad ripoff anyway. Very rarely is a 'trade in' a good deal for consumers.
    theRock1975, schmeat and stlabrat like this.
    01-10-14 10:49 PM
    Lol you'd be surprised.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 07:08 AM
    I've been buying phones at full price and selling them for ~what I paid, often times even more, for years, rarely ever having to use "new" money to purchase the next device. The Z10 is definitely the most depreciated in price, I'd be lucky to get $100 for it on craigslist, typically a device less than a year old can go for $400 if it's in good shape.

Hopefully after I get my $100 in free accessories (shipped yesterday) I can bundle that with it for a higher price.
    01-11-14 12:42 PM
    I've been buying phones at full price and selling them for ~what I paid, often times even more, for years, rarely ever having to use "new" money to purchase the next device. The Z10 is definitely the most depreciated in price, I'd be lucky to get $100 for it on craigslist, typically a device less than a year old can go for $400 if it's in good shape.

Hopefully after I get my $100 in free accessories (shipped yesterday) I can bundle that with it for a higher price.
    That's resale value, not trade-ins. Similar yes. But not what they're discussing.
    01-11-14 05:56 PM
    The article and their logic can be interpreted many different ways, as they are missing key information.
    For example, when trading in, were people more likely to go to another brand? What percentage of buyers were trading in? Were the trade-ins because people were changing phones (mid- or off-contract) or were they people getting a new contract? And, importantly, what were the trade-in values compared to the resale values? If I have an phone with a resale value of $250 and the trade-in value is $200, I might forgo the hassle of selling the phone and just do a trade-in. But, if I have a phone with a resale of $250 and a trade-in of $100, I'll prob keep it and try and sell it myself. How many generations back were people trading-in (meaning, apple has a new phone every six mths.Many people I know upgrade their apple products as soon as a new one hits the market. Whereas, I had a torch 9800 (Os6) and never upgraded to an Os7 phone. I upgraded to Os10, even thought it was out of contract, because at that point, there were enough changes to warrant an upgrade for me. At that time, the trade-in value for my storm and torch were horrible, if even existent, so it made more sense for me to sell them. Made sense, they were older phones--BUT I could say the same for an iPhone 3G-trade-in is crap, but last year you could still sell on ebay for around $100)

Posted from my Q10/Z10
    01-11-14 06:51 PM