With Chen hinting around at big surprises coming and now webcasts on how to build "secure" Android apps...I've got a theory.

I have been playing with Cyanogen on my N5 and I appreciate the effort they are putting into privacy features. Since they plan to be a serious breakaway from Google and with their Android prowess I am thinking BlackBerry would give a lot of cred to a new platform threat to the Googleverse. I mean enough for Microsoft to invest in Cyanogen... imagine!

I think more than any other company Cyanogen and BlackBerry makes total sense.

Comments?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 09:51 PM
    I don't see this but I could be wrong. If anything I see them furthering their partnership with Samsung to continue securing their flavour of Android. Eventually they will rip the RT out of BB10 which will then allow Samsung to build BB HW using previous gen Galaxy components.
    05-06-15 09:59 PM
    Not exactly the first time it has come up.......
    James Nieves likes this.
    05-06-15 10:01 PM
    BlackBerry should come up with an awesome tool(similar to what microsoft has done) that would let developers to port their existing t ios and android apps to the blackberry world. That would enable true growth.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 10:06 PM
    BlackBerry should come up with an awesome tool(similar to what microsoft has done) that would let developers to port their existing t ios and android apps to the blackberry world. That would enable true growth.

Posted via CB10
    Devs could port their android apps on BBworld from day one, first they had to convert the apk to bar and then they could simply submit the apk. We know how that worked out. Big devs don't care about BB, no matter what.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 10:18 PM
    Just because BlackBerry is doing a webcast on building secure Android apps doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of handsets or their long-term plans. It's part of their strategy for BES growth since BES connected devices can have a corporate app store.

As for BlackBerry having a partnership with Cyanogen, I wondered if potentially it could happen as a way to further development of the runtime on BlackBerry handsets and improve performance of runtime apps.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 04:54 AM
    Just because BlackBerry is doing a webcast on building secure Android apps doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of handsets or their long-term plans. It's part of their strategy for BES growth since BES connected devices can have a corporate app store.
    And absolutely nothing new. They've held several similar webcasts since the launch of BlackBerry 10.
    rthonpm and Prem WatsApp like this.
    05-07-15 05:14 AM
    I don't see this but I could be wrong. If anything I see them furthering their partnership with Samsung to continue securing their flavour of Android. Eventually they will rip the RT out of BB10 which will then allow Samsung to build BB HW using previous gen Galaxy components.
    I would think Samsung has an eye on Cyanogen....they would love nothing more than break away from Google's grip. Imagine a consortium of companies taking on Apple and Google's dominance.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 08:00 AM
    Devs could port their android apps on BBworld from day one, first they had to convert the apk to bar and then they could simply submit the apk. We know how that worked out. Big devs don't care about BB, no matter what.

Posted via CB10
    The tool should port android code to native QNX code/binaries and not into running on blackberry's android susbsystem.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    05-07-15 08:34 AM
    I would think Samsung has an eye on Cyanogen....they would love nothing more than break away from Google's grip. Imagine a consortium of companies taking on Apple and Google's dominance.

Posted via CB10
    First... Google holds no "Grip" on Samsung. If anything, Samsung generated too much of their own grip with their dominance of Android devices (which is slowly changing). Not to mention, Samsung had already recruited and brought in a couple who headed Cyanogen to work with them, and less than a year later those people from Cyanogen were looking for a new avenue for their project. So obviously they didn't do well with Samsung.

Samsung is only 1 year into a 10 year deal they made with Google/Android. That's not going to change anytime soon. Besides which, Cyanogen is absolutely nothing without Android and the OHA. Despite what many may think, Cyanogen is nothing more than a team of barely better than competent coders who modify what other/better coders have done. Their whole business model is piggybacking on other's work. Back when Cyanogen was a Community Sourced project it was different, but now not so much since they screwed over their best contributors. The CyanogenMod project used to be SO much better.

Without support from gapps or maintaining the position of being an "OHA compatible MOD" to maintain support for Play Services, Cyanogen would be nothing. Should Cyanogen lose that altogether, they'll drift off into obscurity.

Via Tapatalk
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 05-07-15 at 06:15 PM.
    Flatman and randomroyalty like this.
    05-07-15 05:05 PM
    Considering the fiasco between Cyongen and One Plus... cannot see BB tying itself an organization that would shaft another company like they did to OnePlus in India upon launching a new device. Would not be a wise business move....
    05-07-15 05:14 PM
    I'm actually thinking of switching to the Oneplus. To bad they now use oxygen OS.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    05-07-15 09:51 PM
    The tool should port android code to native QNX code/binaries and not into running on blackberry's android susbsystem.

Posted via CB10
    Things don't quite "marry up" like that. You have to emulate all the parts that are different. That is tough.
    05-08-15 02:59 AM
    And absolutely nothing new. They've held several similar webcasts since the launch of BlackBerry 10.
    True, however we're the first time without Native roadmap (for months). As you probably already know. But people are... worried
    05-08-15 05:35 AM
    Things don't quite "marry up" like that. You have to emulate all the parts that are different. That is tough.
    There would be some features truncated and some added during the porting. I am sure it's not impossible. QNX would need to be tweaked to support these portings as well. Microsoft is doing it somehow.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 05:55 AM
    Thanks for the elucidation!

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 08:19 AM
    I'm actually thinking of switching to the Oneplus. To bad they now use oxygen OS.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    No reason to let that stop you. My OnePlus has been on the normal CM nightlies and stable releases every since about an hour after I opened it's box. Anything and everything that is unique to the software from OnePlus will work on regular CM. So there is absolutely no reason to use say CM11s over normal, CM11 or CM12. Well I take that back, the only reason I can think of is if you're the type of person who likes to wait as long as possible for software updates.

I've always viewed OnePlus as a hardware supplier. They made and sold me the OnePlus One hardware and that is all I ever wanted from them.
    05-08-15 12:48 PM
    No reason to let that stop you. My OnePlus has been on the normal CM nightlies and stable releases every since about an hour after I opened it's box. Anything and everything that is unique to the software from OnePlus will work on regular CM. So there is absolutely no reason to use say CM11s over normal, CM11 or CM12. Well I take that back, the only reason I can think of is if you're the type of person who likes to wait as long as possible for software updates.

I've always viewed OnePlus as a hardware supplier. They made and sold me the OnePlus One hardware and that is all I ever wanted from them.
    Yeah I think I'll wait for Oneplus 2. Seems for 400 bucks I'll get a higher end phone for the LOW!!!!

Posted By My BeastBerry
    Witmen likes this.
    05-08-15 02:40 PM
    Yeah I think I'll wait for Oneplus 2. Seems for 400 bucks I'll get a higher end phone for the LOW!!!!

Posted By My BeastBerry
    I'm excitedly waiting for that as well!
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-08-15 02:57 PM
    One would think partnering with a pioneer like BlackBerry would work in Cyanogen's favour.
    05-08-15 03:38 PM
    One would think partnering with a pioneer like BlackBerry would work in Cyanogen's favour.
    Mmmm kinda. I can tell you by just looking at there menus everything is all jacked up and both could work on camera software.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    05-08-15 10:02 PM