05-22-15 10:51 AM
29 12
tools
    Use WhatsApp? Get ready for more spam - The Times of India

And this is why a phone number-based system is a bad idea.
    05-19-15 09:07 AM
    It was only a matter of time.

On the other hand, BBM already has sponsored ads, and they have a much smaller user base. Seems like BBM is falling behind in everyway.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 09:13 AM
    Finally!
    I'll be able to get spammed even on whatsapp now, it has always been a wanted feature!
    05-19-15 09:19 AM
    Whatsapp is facebook. Anyone who uses it should expect this sort of thing.
    05-19-15 09:57 AM
    I think the question has to be, is the spam worse than what BBM users can expect? I don't use either because I won't tolerate spam on my personal messaging platform, but from what I read here, the spam on BBM has gotten out of control.

On the other hand, I've never received a "sponsored message" on either Telegram or iMessage.
    05-19-15 10:57 AM
    Unless WhatsApp handles the advertising like BBM does (or, in general, the way Google advertising operates)--i.e. doing the targeting themselves and not releasing identifying information to the advertiser--this will be a problem. Even if BBM starts giving out PINs to advertisers, I'm still not as compromised and can simply disable/delete BBM. But WhatsApp identifier is...a phone number. I disable/delete WhatsApp, and the advertiser still has my phone number.
    bhrgvr likes this.
    05-19-15 11:39 AM
    I think the question has to be, is the spam worse than what BBM users can expect? I don't use either because I won't tolerate spam on my personal messaging platform, but from what I read here, the spam on BBM has gotten out of control.

On the other hand, I've never received a "sponsored message" on either Telegram or iMessage.
    The only spam I get on BBM are ads for apps and corporate channels. It isn't even a big deal. If I clear the two I get, two more replace it. But it all doesn't matter to me because I never open the apps. Thank you HUB.

Posted via CB10
    LateToTheGame likes this.
    05-19-15 12:05 PM

What ? I've never received any form of spam in bbm which I use every day.
    The only thing I notice is 'invites' to join sponsored channels or download which don't give me any kind of notification and therefore do nothing to bother me.

Is bbm on other platforms different for ads?
    05-19-15 12:17 PM
    There are several threads around about it. I don't personally know, because I've found BBM on both Android and iOS nigh on unusable for other reasons.
    05-19-15 01:45 PM
    Hmmm. I get spammed with BBM already, and I'm not giving out my PIN to spammed. BlackBerry knows your PIN, and can and apparently does sell it to spammers.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 02:36 PM
    Hmmm. I get spammed with BBM already, and I'm not giving out my PIN to spammed. BlackBerry knows your PIN, and can and apparently does sell it to spammers.
    Are you getting direct messages from advertisers (chats to your PIN) or those invitations from BB/sponsored stuff?

In other words, are you absolutely sure whatever you're getting is coming directly from spammers, or is BB handling it as a middleman (like Google does?)
    05-19-15 03:47 PM
    Bbm is far better than watsapp in every aspects!

 Diplomatic Passport 
    05-19-15 03:52 PM
    Are you getting direct messages from advertisers (chats to your PIN) or those invitations from BB/sponsored stuff?

In other words, are you absolutely sure whatever you're getting is coming directly from spammers, or is BB handling it as a middleman (like Google does?)
    I'm pretty sure it is BlackBerry on behalf of someone, but the end result is me getting unsolicited invites, and sometimes it is for apps I already paid for. The monetization has ruined the experience.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 04:27 PM
    What is this spam everyone keeps talking about in BBM? I have yet to see it. I use BBM everyday with numerous contacts and have never been spammed.

Can someone please take a screenshot and post this spam that shows in BBM.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 05:00 PM
    I'm pretty sure it is BlackBerry on behalf of someone, but the end result is me getting unsolicited invites, and sometimes it is for apps I already paid for. The monetization has ruined the experience.

Posted via CB10
    You're probably have the BBM contact invitations permission on. Disabling that will probably stop the invites.

Times of India/Bloomberg: Use WhatsApp? Get ready for more spam-img_20150519_180157.png

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 05:04 PM
    Use WhatsApp? Get ready for more spam - The Times of India

What does the phone number have to do with this. Even if WhatsApp just used the users FaceBook user name as an identifier, they would and could be spammed with advertisements.
    05-19-15 05:06 PM
    What does the phone number have to do with this. Even if WhatsApp just used the users FaceBook user name as an identifier, they would and could be spammed with advertisements.
    A phone number is much more personal, IMO. Someone wants to spam my Facebook wall at 3AM in the morning? Go ahead. But if they get my number, who will make sure that I'm not called at 3AM?

And not everyone who uses WhatsApp has a matching FB account, or vice versa.
    05-19-15 05:12 PM
    You're probably have the BBM contact invitations permission on. Disabling that will probably stop the invites.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150519_180157.png 
Views:	222 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	353609

Posted via CB10
    They aren't technically invites. It says you have a pending invitation, then when you open it it is telling you about BeWeather or some other app on behalf of BlackBerry. I blocked BlackBerry from sending me "invites" so that might have cured the issue.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 05:29 PM
    A phone number is much more personal, IMO. Someone wants to spam my Facebook wall at 3AM in the morning? Go ahead. But if they get my number, who will make sure that I'm not called at 3AM?

And not everyone who uses WhatsApp has a matching FB account, or vice versa.
    Well I can't argue that. Getting an SMS spam @ 3:00am would "p" me off totally as well.
    05-19-15 05:40 PM
    Without arguing the experience ruination part (where I agree with you BTW,) I partly recognize it as a reality of the "make money off of everything" world we live in. My issue is that the identifier for BBM is a relative throwaway, whereas the same is not true for WhatsApp. And the latter does not exactly inspire confidence when it comes to safeguarding customer information.
    05-19-15 05:54 PM
    Without arguing the experience ruination part (where I agree with you BTW,) I partly recognize it as a reality of the "make money off of everything" world we live in. My issue is that the identifier for BBM is a relative throwaway, whereas the same is not true for WhatsApp. And the latter does not exactly inspire confidence when it comes to safeguarding customer information.
    Yeah but Apple gives away iMessage for free. Has free versions of iCloud and other things too. I paid $550 for my Z10, even if I only paid $224 for my Z30. Apple is providing services as a value add, BlackBerry is switching over to just value ads, while claiming to target professionals. Professionals don't need stickers, nor do they need the info of some new lame sticker pack notified in their BBM. It is a schizophrenic mess in BlackBerry's targets. They can't make a phone that over half the existing user base wants because it isn't a device they have deemed that businesses want (although Apple and Android would disagree), but they can light up my BBM with juvenile sticker notifications and invites about apps I already bought. It's just a hot mess and I'm seriously about to just say that I went all in on the PlayBook and BB10, and BlackBerry did not!

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 06:02 PM
    Yeah but Apple gives away iMessage for free. Has free versions of iCloud and other things too. I paid $550 for my Z10, even if I only paid $224 for my Z30. Apple is providing services as a value add, BlackBerry is switching over to just value ads, while claiming to target professionals. Professionals don't need stickers, nor do they need the info of some new lame sticker pack notified in their BBM. It is a schizophrenic mess in BlackBerry's targets. They can't make a phone that over half the existing user base wants because it isn't a device they have deemed that businesses want (although Apple and Android would disagree), but they can light up my BBM with juvenile sticker notifications and invites about apps I already bought. It's just a hot mess and I'm seriously about to just say that I went all in on the PlayBook and BB10, and BlackBerry did not!

Posted via CB10
    Preach preach preach!!!!

 Diplomatic Passport 
    05-20-15 07:37 AM
    There are several threads around about it. I don't personally know, because I've found BBM on both Android and iOS nigh on unusable for other reasons.
    No one I know has ever complained about cross platform bbm on ios or android so I am curious what's so unusable? It's basically enhanced sms...
    05-20-15 02:54 PM

Let me fix that for you :

And this is why a no-adding-required-to-chat-woth-someone system is a bad idea.

If phone number-based system is paired with add request that requires accepting it will be a perfect combination for BBM.

But unfortunately, BlackBerry took the worst part from WhatsApp (chatting directly with someone in your address book)

Simply 
    05-20-15 03:02 PM
    No one I know has ever complained about cross platform bbm on ios or android so I am curious what's so unusable? It's basically enhanced sms...
    I find that BBM messages to iOS users often don't show as delivered when they are in fact delivered. Example I send a message to my kid to take out the trash he never reads it, but comes down shortly after to take out the trash. Ask if he got the message and says yes, but BBM on phone still shows not delivered. Android seems more stable as far as delivery at least. I can't comment on the actual BBM experience on either device, just my experience sending messages to them.

Posted with my Z30
    05-20-15 03:15 PM
29 12