11-02-14 11:48 AM
167 1234 ...
tools
    Why is this even a post?

Do we really need to know people sexual choices?

Posted via CB from my Z10
    10-30-14 03:37 PM
    The state of affairs has to tell you something...... writing blogs and such is not the solution.

Can you imagine if successful CEOs, idols, diplomats, etc. wrote about being......straight?
    The moment being straight would become mistakenly perceived as abnormal, then yes.

I'll applaud any example of a minority who's suffered discrimination, where to have been open about it would have resulted in derision. Which whether you realize it or not, is exactly what your reply is denouncing.

You're dangerously close to the flawed attitude which asks "Why is there a Black History Month, but no White History Month?" If you can't distinguish the difference, then you need some time to meditate.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 10-30-14 at 03:49 PM.
    10-30-14 03:37 PM
    Why is this even a post?

Do we really need to know people sexual choices?

Posted via CB from my Z10
    I don't care one way or the other. He a CEO only his business decisions matter to me.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    10-30-14 03:39 PM
    I don't really care one way or the other. He's a CEO. What's important is his business decisions not his sexuality.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    If I where a shareholder in Apple, that would be my priority. I really don't care what race, gender or sexual preference the CEO is as long as they operate the business in a professional manner, that's all that counts.
    gvs1341 likes this.
    10-30-14 04:06 PM
    BTW, Cook didn't just come out now. He's talked about this before, even years ago.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    10-30-14 04:13 PM
    The reason why he never mentioned it publicly before? Because it inevitably becomes a distracting topic of discussion as evidenced by this thread.

The reason why it is even news? Because the CEO of one of the most valuable companies in the world probably can't go to a lot of countries without committing a crime. Would you want to go somewhere to open a store where a local lawmaker has publicly stated that you should be arrested? Tim Cook may not be able to go to Russia.
    10-30-14 04:19 PM
    The moment being straight would become mistakenly perceived as abnormal, then yes.

I'll applaud any example of a minority who's suffered discrimination, where to have been open about it would have resulted in derision. Which whether you realize it or not, is exactly what your reply is denouncing.

You're dangerously close to the flawed attitude which asks "Why is there a Black History Month, but no White History Month?" If you can't distinguish the difference, then you need some time to meditate.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Hmmm...so you equate being black as the same as sexual orientation preferences?

And for your info, I can distinguish the difference!
    10-30-14 04:26 PM
    In the sense that both blacks and homosexuals are/have been "a minority who's suffered discrimination," I see his point. Of course, one of these two isn't as concealable as the other, but there shouldn't be a need to conceal anything.
    10-30-14 04:55 PM

And for your info, I can distinguish the difference!
    Not at all. But if you can't draw a line between the similarities in mistreatment or discrimination... well that's on you.
    10-30-14 05:18 PM
    RANT!

Please note that if you're not comfortable with this rant ignore it! This is a personal feeling, nothing against those of different sexual orientation - that's your life, mine is mine. This rant is about trying to compare one's livelihood with their preference vs one's life and perceptions being acted upon regardless of how you live your life.

Again PLEASE ignore or PM me privately.

MODS: apologies in advance if my post begins to derail this thread more than 3 posts, or quotes or replies. if so ... Delete all instances ... allowing others to discuss this thread.

Thank you.

RANT ON:

Good read.

Tim Cook Speaks Up - Businessweek

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    This is NOT new and was known BEFORE he was appointed CEO by Steve Jobs before he passed.

EDIT:
    Being gay has given me a deeper understanding of what it means to be in the minority and provided a window into the challenges that people in other minority groups deal with every day. It’s made me more empathetic, which has led to a richer life.
    Let me just say I'm VERY VEXED to see or hear such statements - very similar to "being gay is like being black we're oppressed against". HOG WASH! (I'd like to say other words).

For anyone that is a minority - a loose term in the USA but VERY much so in Canada - for my personal ethnic group - Black (or politically correct Afro America) we're still oppressed, still discriminated against!

If Tim knew ANYTHING about being a minority ... he'd NOT know a "richer life" , nothing like what he's earning or living and has lived most of his life.

Let me make it straight to anyone that argues this:

1. Having a non conformist sexual orientation CAN be hidden: from 10ft - 200 ft away.
    Being Black cannot ... EVER be hidden - even white-face (from pre 60's or recent like Coming To America with Eddie Murphy as the jewish barber or White Girls with the Wayan's brothers - certain tell-tale features cannot be hidden).

2. have a search in the last 60 days of todays date of a black kid being gunned down and killed in the USA for simply not having Bus Fare and running off the bus!
    - When was the last time you heard about a gay bashing or shooting? Hell the city I live in has had 6 yrs of Gay Pride parade that has not only exploded to be bigger than Caribbana parade (which is 20+yrs old) and rakes in more $$ for Scotiabank and the rest of Toronto but is the largest such even in the entire world! It's no longer Gay Pride it's called World Pride.

It's tough enough trying to be Black & Proud without connotations of the 60's Black Panther Party (original movement) sparking up thoughts in anyone's mind.

RANT OFF.
    Last edited by Supa_Fly1; 10-30-14 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Rant Oreintantion is no longer a minority
    10-30-14 05:36 PM
    Oh, thought it was about his orientation.

Posted via CB10
    Does he prefer portrait or landscape?
    10-30-14 05:42 PM
    In the sense that both blacks and homosexuals are/have been "a minority who's suffered discrimination," I see his point. Of course, one of these two isn't as concealable as the other, but there shouldn't be a need to conceal anything.
    I'm just reaaaaal curious.... would you include Crackheads in the above?

After all, they too are a minority and discriminated against.
    10-30-14 06:08 PM
    I'm just reaaaaal curious.... would you include Crackheads in the above?

After all, they too are a minority and discriminated against.
    You're reaching with your comparison. Are people born crackheads? Because last I checked, people are born black, or gay.
    10-30-14 06:17 PM
    You're reaching with your comparison. Are people born crackheads? Because last I checked, people are born black, or gay.
    ^ where have you been?! Crackbabies is a REAL thing since the early 90's.

To coin a movie about the reality ... "Have you ever seen a crackbaby? I mean a real crackbaby ... screaming it's lungs out, out of pain because of withdrawal every minute of its life. Sure there are medications and therapy's but the child will never have a real life, or anything or any simlance that we know of ... it'll go on through life living like a vegetable ...."

Deep Cover 1990 Larry Fishburne (as in Morpheus from The Matrix)
    10-30-14 06:27 PM
    Is that why the stock dipped a bit today?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 06:29 PM
    The state of affairs has to tell you something...... writing blogs and such is not the solution.

Can you imagine if successful CEOs, idols, diplomats, etc. wrote about being......straight?
    Straight people are oppressed in some way?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 06:29 PM

To coin a movie about the reality ... "Have you ever seen a crackbaby? I mean a real crackbaby ... screaming it's lungs out, out of pain because of withdrawal every minute of its life. Sure there are medications and therapy's but the child will never have a real life, or anything or any simlance that we know of ... it'll go on through life living like a vegetable ...."

I know about crack babies, but I didn't know they were referred to as crack heads, and more importantly, they were discriminated against. Care to share how crack babies are discriminated against?
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    10-30-14 06:30 PM
    For anyone that is a minority - a loose term in the USA but VERY much so in Canada - for my personal ethnic group - Black (or politically correct Afro America) we're still oppressed, still discriminated against!
    I don't understand the point in trying to undermine one group that is discriminated against because there exists another group that also happens to be discriminated against. That's like saying "Ignore cancer research because heart disease is more dangerous!" Plain illogical and silly. And if you disagree that homosexuals are discriminated against at all, well there's not much to say to you.

I'm genuinely surprised by the wave of homophobia that the Tim Cook "coming out" has evoked. While I recognize that discrimination is alive and well across the world, certainly many other celebrities/public figures coming out have not evoked such a critical response.
    10-30-14 06:33 PM

Although possible, this scenario is no longer a guaranteed outcome, particularly in the US. People are born addicted to cocaine and other substances of dependence (I don't like the term "crackbaby" as it suggests that the child is actively seeking out the drug like an actual person who has become addicted of their own volition), but nowadays we do a really good job of weaning said babies off of their chemical dependence. Does it mean they start life at the same opportunity level as other babies? Not necessarily, but they're far from becoming doomed "crackheads" themselves.

On topic, I applaud Cook for doing what he believed would be inspiring to others by discussing his sexual orientation (and yes, even in Toronto it is still a big deal with or without the parade. Just ask any person that was wrongfully pulled over by the cops based on profiling whether it matters that they typically retrofit cruisers with dash cams).

At the same time, I too take offense to Cook's statement that he can relate to other minorities. I mean, I get what he's saying and I think he's being genuine. At the same time, even though I'm a black African-American (African/African-Canadian?) man, I can't pretend to know what it's like to live in a man's world as a woman because I'm not a woman. I don't know what it's like to be homosexual because I'm heterosexual. I can empathize with these other "minorities" (I use quotations as women are minorities only in the sense of the separation of power in the world, but then again doesn't that apply to any minority group?), but I'll never truly "get" their struggle despite the most sincerest of attempts. And vice versa.

Bottom line though, I think this is news because we still aren't a truly accepting society. Yeah, we shun bigots and people who openly discriminate against others. But you can't tell me that America would be ready for a homosexual woman as President of the United States if the next elections were held tomorrow. Some of us may only evaluate such a candidate based on their merit and qualifications alone. But too many won't see past face-value.

/end counter-rant

Posted via CB10
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-30-14 06:49 PM
    Here are news I'm proud to be normal and hetero sexuell where are the articles for us normal people?
    at least this news explains the overly bright look of apples post Jobs Ui..
    You answered your own question right there.

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling and step07 like this.
    10-30-14 06:52 PM
    Ummmm, no... not reaching at all actually.

You see, last time I checked, people are born black, and people choose to be gay. Big difference.

side note:
    Crackheads & Crackbabies are 2 different entities. One chooses...and one is born as a result (unfortunately).
    10-30-14 06:55 PM
    Ummmm, no... not reaching at all actually.

You see, last time I checked, people are born black, and people choose to be gay. Big difference.

side note:
    Crackheads & Crackbabies are 2 different entities. One chooses...and one is born as a result (unfortunately).
    It's scientifically backed up that people are born on a spectrum of gay-bi-straight.... just stop.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 06:59 PM
    It's scientifically backed up that people are born on a spectrum of gay-bi-straight.... just stop.

Posted via CB10
    if that works for you, then great !

there is a lot of scientific data out there ....

Mods can close if they want. We can agree to disagree. My take on this, is that Tim Cook's article is Unbelievably Stupid.
    10-30-14 07:05 PM
    Good for Tim Cook but It actually shouldn't matter. He is making the shareholders money and that's all it matters.

Now, the big question is. How is Samsung going to copy this one?
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-30-14 07:08 PM
    I thought he was gay anyway, didn't know he was trying to hide it =]Y

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 07:10 PM
167 1234 ...