07-05-12 12:29 PM
64 123
tools
    Oh, You Thought 1 GHZ, Dual-Core CPUs Were Fast? Meet Texas Instruments’ OMAP 5: 2 Ghz, Quad-Core

seems like a good fit for the QNX BB phones.. 3x the power of OMAP4 (the playbook cpu) and 60% less power use? sweet
    02-07-11 01:49 PM
    Oh, You Thought 1 GHZ, Dual-Core CPUs Were Fast? Meet Texas Instruments OMAP 5: 2 Ghz, Quad-Core

seems like a good fit for the QNX BB phones.. 3x the power of OMAP4 (the playbook cpu) and 60% less power use? sweet
    yea i saw that and thought `this is what RIM are waiting for to put QNX on a phone`
    02-07-11 01:50 PM
    I am SURE TI let RIM know this was under development after they committed to OMAP4 for the playbook, I wouldn't be surprised if RIM has its hands in for the first batch of OMAP5 sample units for Playbook 2, and Next Gen QNX phones.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    02-07-11 01:54 PM
    Yeah I'm not seeing this happening for a while after the chip is GA'd (6+ months after I'd say which would put it into 2013). RIM likes to wait for prices to drop on items before building a phone around it. Right now I'll be happy if they can just get the OS6.1 devices and 1.2GHz CPU here. It does look like TI is pumping out some great stuff lately. Let Android keep Tegra and RIM can go with with TI. I still have fond memories of my TI-82 and my TI-92 calculators from Engineering school. I may just have to searching for the 92 tonight.
    02-07-11 02:04 PM
    Yeah I'm not seeing this happening for a while after the chip is GA'd (6+ months after I'd say which would put it into 2013). RIM likes to wait for prices to drop on items before building a phone around it. Right now I'll be happy if they can just get the OS6.1 devices and 1.2GHz CPU here. It does look like TI is pumping out some great stuff lately. Let Android keep Tegra and RIM can go with with TI. I still have fond memories of my TI-82 and my TI-92 calculators from Engineering school. I may just have to searching for the 92 tonight.
    Could you please provide me links showing RIM waits for pricing to fall before buying chips?

RIM had relationships with 2 Processor suppliers, Marvell, and Qualcomm, RIM used the Qualcomm and Marvell shipsets nearest eachother, unfortunately Marvell did not advance as fast as Qualcomm so RIM did not rapidly boost, one cellular technologies phones whilst leaving the other ones seemingly crippled,
    RIM's use of the OMAP4, shows they are not waiting for pricing to fall,

there are lots of ways to speculate, but when looking at the entire RIM line up, they did Not wait for a cheaper processor before launching the Bold 9000, nor did they wait when they Launched the Storm, both processors had similar specs and they maintained GSM and CDMA similarities.
    02-07-11 02:37 PM
    RIMs use of OMAP4 in the PLAYBOOK doesnt say anything about waiting for prices to fall for phones. Its out there. take a look
    found this in 10 seconds.

Dual-Core BlackBerry Waiting on Lower Processor Power, Cost
    02-07-11 03:39 PM
    Why would they be waiting to put bigger, more powerful chipsets in their handsets than on the PB?
    02-07-11 03:49 PM
    I think the main concern for RIM is the power consumption. If its a powerful chip, it can run QNX based OS with ease... but it NEEDS to use as little power as possible since they are big on long battery life.
    02-07-11 03:57 PM
    Could you please provide me links showing RIM waits for pricing to fall before buying chips?

RIM had relationships with 2 Processor suppliers, Marvell, and Qualcomm, RIM used the Qualcomm and Marvell shipsets nearest eachother, unfortunately Marvell did not advance as fast as Qualcomm so RIM did not rapidly boost, one cellular technologies phones whilst leaving the other ones seemingly crippled,
    RIM's use of the OMAP4, shows they are not waiting for pricing to fall,

there are lots of ways to speculate, but when looking at the entire RIM line up, they did Not wait for a cheaper processor before launching the Bold 9000, nor did they wait when they Launched the Storm, both processors had similar specs and they maintained GSM and CDMA similarities.
    RIMs use of OMAP4 in the PLAYBOOK doesnt say anything about waiting for prices to fall for phones. Its out there. take a look

Calm down guys. First off I said before they before build a phone around it. I see the Playbook as a technology showcase and platform to test the next gen OS, while also penetrating the tablet market. Mike L has already stated that we won't see the "super phone" until the price is right. In fact he said that current dual core offerings are not right for phones now because of "Battery life, size, weight, thickness, cost." A brand new OMAP 5 at release is likely not going to be cheaper than a 4430 is now. That's why I think that OMAP5 won't show up in a RIM phones until it is available in quantities and the price drops.

Also for RIM to slow the entire phone progression because of Marvel's inability to innovate, if true, is a poor move on their part. Qualcomm chips could have handled both the needs of the GSM line and the CDMA line since most of their chips support both technologies, and they probably could have saved money on parts and support by going to single processor/platform to support both technologies. Oh and they would have had a damn GPU on GSM now too if they had switched to Qualcomm!
    02-07-11 04:12 PM
    @lnichols, Qualcom only introduced dual-mode (GSM/CDMA) chip this year, I think RIM and Apple are going to use the same chip in their next gen devices. I am optimistic that iPhone 5 would sport the same 1.2Ghz chip as in the rumored BB's since the radio is integrated into this chip and is said to be the only chip to have the radio integrated into the SoC. As I understood OMAP 5 is scheduled for next year and hopefully we may see it in PB 2.
    02-07-11 04:40 PM
    This is more of a chip that would end up in the PlayBook line over a phone. This chip has the type of power that can really put a dent in laptop sales for enterprise.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-11 05:12 PM

That article links to speculation as to why LTE hasn't been introduced, Cost which would be as much associated with ROI as it is with actual purchase price, of the chips being 1 factor, Power consumption being a far more important factor.

Why would they be waiting to put bigger, more powerful chipsets in their handsets than on the PB?
    The Playbook COULD be the assumed minimum recommended system requirements with these Chips not being released to manufacturers until the second half of 2011, that means we shouldn't see them actually in phones until Q4 2011, or Q1 2012 at the soonest, giving us 9 months or so from Playbook release, which is great for the launching of a New Phone more powerful than the Playbook, THEN pushing out a new playbook in Q22012..

Calm down guys. First off I said before they before build a phone around it. I see the Playbook as a technology showcase and platform to test the next gen OS, while also penetrating the tablet market. Mike L has already stated that we won't see the "super phone" until the price is right. In fact he said that current dual core offerings are not right for phones now because of "Battery life, size, weight, thickness, cost." A brand new OMAP 5 at release is likely not going to be cheaper than a 4430 is now. That's why I think that OMAP5 won't show up in a RIM phones until it is available in quantities and the price drops.

Also for RIM to slow the entire phone progression because of Marvel's inability to innovate, if true, is a poor move on their part. Qualcomm chips could have handled both the needs of the GSM line and the CDMA line since most of their chips support both technologies, and they probably could have saved money on parts and support by going to single processor/platform to support both technologies. Oh and they would have had a damn GPU on GSM now too if they had switched to Qualcomm!
    RE: current dual core offerings not being ready.
    Cost was one factor, I would BOLD the battery life more than anything, and this OMAP5 addresses that with 60% lower average power consumption, for RIM that rings bells and whistles, Next would be SIZE, because RIM has a very tested and appreciated form factor, add too much and you need to retool you can pay slightly more while reducing cost of battery, or costs associated with making the OS more efficient, COST is an entire package, not just the purchase price of a specific component.

RE: Marvell:
    IF you look at RIM's moves, it seems to be what has happened, I'm not saying it is Logical, but RIM didn't wait for cheaper chips to build their smartphone line up as you suggested, they used top of the line Marvel and Qualcomm for Brand launches(Bold/Storm), they just fell into a trap and had to make a Call, we don't know if there was multi year contract signed, or what.

We also know that RIM underclocked the Torch processor to match that of existing phones as well in the Market when it is capable of running 800Mhz, as it isn't the same old processor as before. Hopefully someone will find the link to support this, I can't find it.
    02-07-11 06:32 PM
    @lnichols, Qualcom only introduced dual-mode (GSM/CDMA) chip this year, I think RIM and Apple are going to use the same chip in their next gen devices. I am optimistic that iPhone 5 would sport the same 1.2Ghz chip as in the rumored BB's since the radio is integrated into this chip and is said to be the only chip to have the radio integrated into the SoC. As I understood OMAP 5 is scheduled for next year and hopefully we may see it in PB 2.
    Really!!!! Look at this article:
    QUALCOMM CDMA Technologies Announces 3G Multimode Solutions for

Qualcomm has been making dual mode chips since 2001! The MSM7600 in the Tour supports both too. You just had to put a GSM radio in your GSM devices and a CDMA in your CDMA devices, or both if you wanted world device.

Also all of the Snapdragons since Q4 2008 have supported GSM and CDMA.
    Last edited by lnichols; 02-07-11 at 06:57 PM.
    02-07-11 06:55 PM
    LOL. Is there even anything running omap 4 that is live yet? Droid x is omap3. The omap 5 won't be in manufacturers hands and then in a device until 2013, and I thin TI's release even said that.

Why don't we see when that rig that IBM played jeopardy with will be ready for a mobile implementation.

The omap 4 stuff is plenty powerful. And marvels armada 628 is still out there. Oh and there are the dual core snapdragons coming as well. There are a lot of chips and dual core stuff that is available now. Let's not sweat omap5 and Tegra 3 stuff. We talk about that next year. Rim probably has a few protoypes of qnx Running on a dual core phone somewhere in Waterloo. So they are working it out I am sure.

02-07-11 07:26 PM
    Really!!!! Look at this article:
    QUALCOMM CDMA Technologies Announces 3G Multimode Solutions for

Qualcomm has been making dual mode chips since 2001! The MSM7600 in the Tour supports both too. You just had to put a GSM radio in your GSM devices and a CDMA in your CDMA devices, or both if you wanted world device.

Also all of the Snapdragons since Q4 2008 have supported GSM and CDMA.
    My bad, I intended to say that it is the first time they integrated these function's (dual mode radio) into their current processor chip.
    02-07-11 07:28 PM
    LOL. Is there even anything running omap 4 that is live yet? Droid x is omap3. The omap 5 won't be in manufacturers hands and then in a device until 2013, and I thin TI's release even said that.

Why don't we see when that rig that IBM played jeopardy with will be ready for a mobile implementation.

The omap 4 stuff is plenty powerful. And marvels armada 628 is still out there. Oh and there are the dual core snapdragons coming as well. There are a lot of chips and dual core stuff that is available now. Let's not sweat omap5 and Tegra 3 stuff. We talk about that next year. Rim probably has a few protoypes of qnx Running on a dual core phone somewhere in Waterloo. So they are working it out I am sure.

From the Official Press release
    Not Just a Faster Horse: TI’s OMAP™ 5 Platform Transforms the Concept of ‘Mobile’ - News Room - News Center

Availability

TI's OMAP 5 platform is expected to sample in the second half of 2011, with devices on the market in the second half of 2012. The OMAP5430 processor is offered in a 14x14mm Package-on-Package (PoP) with LPDDR2 memory support. The OMAP5432 processor is offered in a 17x17mm BGA package with DDR3/DDR3L memory support.

These products are intended for high-volume mobile OEMs and ODMs and are not available through distributors. TI also plans to develop compatible ARM Cortex-A15 processor-based solutions for broader market applications across TI's product portfolio.

so we could see devices in 18 months from now
    02-07-11 07:33 PM
    From the Official Press release
    Not Just a Faster Horse: TI’s OMAP™ 5 Platform Transforms the Concept of ‘Mobile’ - News Room - News Center

Availability

TI's OMAP 5 platform is expected to sample in the second half of 2011, with devices on the market in the second half of 2012. The OMAP5430 processor is offered in a 14x14mm Package-on-Package (PoP) with LPDDR2 memory support. The OMAP5432 processor is offered in a 17x17mm BGA package with DDR3/DDR3L memory support.

These products are intended for high-volume mobile OEMs and ODMs and are not available through distributors. TI also plans to develop compatible ARM Cortex-A15 processor-based solutions for broader market applications across TI's product portfolio.

so we could see devices in 18 months from now
    Which is a million years from now in this tech curve. Like I said we can discuss this next year...
    02-08-11 04:56 AM
    You said 2013, which is outside pretty much all of our current upgrade cycles,

2012, is within the upgrade cycle of existing 9800 buyers, and 9300 owners, making it a feasible upgrade hope.
    02-08-11 07:57 AM
    My point is that a lot can happen between now and then...I am sure 18 months there will be some insane stuff available.

02-08-11 08:07 AM
    My point is that a lot can happen between now and then...I am sure 18 months there will be some insane stuff available.

Knowing RIMs past history, I highly doubt it.

02-08-11 10:16 AM
    Knowing RIMs past history, I highly doubt it.

This old argument is just that, OLD. Not to mention null & void. RIM has put a top of the line processor in the PlayBook. No tab to date, whether out for release or currently in Dev has a better processor. The PlayBook excels spec wise over most tabs out there, Xoom included. The 2011 HH lineup uses top echelon processors & other hardware.
    RIM's past history is this: acquired QNX, acquired major assets w/DataViz, acquired TAT. It's obvious that RIM has turned the corner and the same old adage about them just doesn't hold much water anymore.
    02-08-11 10:30 AM
    This old argument is just that, OLD. Not to mention null & void. RIM has put a top of the line processor in the PlayBook. No tab to date, whether out for release or currently in Dev has a better processor. The PlayBook excels spec wise over most tabs out there, Xoom included. The 2011 HH lineup uses top echelon processors & other hardware.
    RIM's past history is this: acquired QNX, acquired major assets w/DataViz, acquired TAT. It's obvious that RIM has turned the corner and the same old adage about them just doesn't hold much water anymore.
    I guess we'll see won't we. Obviously at some point EVERY manufacturer HAS to upgrade it's hardware. It remains to be seen whether RIM will continue to upgrade hardware on a regular basis (ie..EVERY year) or whether this "newest" hardware is going to be riding in the next crop of phones for 3-4 years. THAT has been their biggest problem. And really..sure their new hardware is impressive..for RIM. But it seems to be about average in comparison to other manufacturers. Not to mention NONE of it is in the market yet.

If other former BB users are like myself...they are going to be a litte leary of what RIM is trying to peddle from now on. As the saying goes.."Fool me once, shame on you..fool me twice..shame on me". After getting burned with the Storm 1, then Storm 2, then after MUCH anticipation for the webkit browser..only to be fooled again..it's going to take more than a "fresh" batch of phones to sway me.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 02-08-11 at 10:49 AM.
    02-08-11 10:38 AM
    I guess we'll see won't we. Obviously at some point EVERY manufacturer HAS to upgrade it's hardware. It remains to be seen whether RIM will continue to upgrade hardware on a regular basis (ie..EVERY year) or whether this "newest" hardware is going to be riding in the next crop of phones for 3-4 years. THAT has been their biggest problem. And really..sure their new hardware is impressive..for RIM. But it seems to be about average in comparison to other manufacturers. Not to mention NONE of it is in the market yet.

If other former BB users are like myself...they are going to be a litte leary of what RIM is trying to peddle from now on. As the saying goes.."Fool me once, shame on you..fool me twice..shame on me". After getting burned with the Storm 1, then Storm 2, then after MUCH anticipation for the webkit browser..only to be fooled again..it's going to take more than a "fresh" batch of phones to sway me.
    How is the rumored hardware average? We don't even know what kind of chip is in it except that it's likely a 1.2GHz Qualcomm. Do you see many Android/iPhone phones rocking that? I don't. We don't know what GPU it's even running. Sure there are dual cores coming but we don't know how those will perform when they're out in the real world yet either. We haven't even seen the full blown 6.1 yet. So let's wait to see how far they've come.

There are just so many unknowns right now that I don't think we should be judging so soon. I'm thinking BB World in May is the latest we'll find out the details. The leaked slides listed more important things than more Mhz/GHz IMO.
    02-08-11 11:17 AM
    i wanna see the marvell tricore in action
    02-08-11 11:21 AM
    How is the rumored hardware average? We don't even know what kind of chip is in it except that it's likely a 1.2GHz Qualcomm. Do you see many Android/iPhone phones rocking that? I don't. We don't know what GPU it's even running. Sure there are dual cores coming but we don't know how those will perform when they're out in the real world yet either. We haven't even seen the full blown 6.1 yet. So let's wait to see how far they've come.

There are just so many unknowns right now that I don't think we should be judging so soon. I'm thinking BB World in May is the latest we'll find out the details. The leaked slides listed more important things than more Mhz/GHz IMO.
    Droid 2 global is runni h 1.2 ghz.

02-08-11 12:02 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD