10-04-14 10:01 AM
65 123
tools
    Of course.... Heins is the man.

internal turmoil, massive financial losses, plummeting marketshare........... but "theres nothing wrong with the company as it exists right now!!" :lol:

RIM CEO Thorsten Heins says there is 'nothing wrong' with the company | The Verge

yes, this is the reality distortion field we speak of. To them, BB10 was this magical OS that would transform the game. They were obviously blind to the fact that they were too late to the party and with a limited budget, no apps and mid range spec products thought they could take on iPhone and the best from Samsung. This is reality.

I won't even get into the ridiculous and ******** super bowl commercial that had nothing to do with the actual product and why it was so "great". Only Heins could have given the green light on that one.

They were abandoning their core enterprise market, and chasing the consumer. Miserable fail. This can't be denied.

Clearly Chens vision is working.
    The "reality" you describe would lead to a simple conclusion: let's wrap, sell in pieces and give up the fight.
    It's not what happened and you can focus on errors or don't understand public statements only worse by the credit readers give them.
    Heins has been an important piece for the survival of BlackBerry and at least his work restructuring the company has been efficient and a salvation.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-28-14 at 05:54 PM.
    09-28-14 05:39 PM
    Why did the board decide to sell? Clearly because of Heins incompetence and lack of back up strategy.
    It was a massive opportunity. The shorts drove the share price below Tangible Asset value... meaning the owner would get intangibles for free.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 05:39 PM
    I'm sure anyone can understand that someone whose job is to reduce the workforce by almost half would have a short TTL. Because even those staying need someone to pay for their friends gone. It's human, normal and if you have some experience in that domain, you know it's even planned.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 05:59 PM
    Why did the board decide to sell? Clearly because of Heins incompetence and lack of back up strategy.
    They didn't. When BlackBerry announced the cancelation of their Q2 2014 earnings call about a year ago, they announced that they were going to go private to get Wall Street out of the picture. They had a $9/share floor price set by Prem Watsa and Fairfax Financial. The terms of the arrangement was that the board had something like 45 days to find a better deal.
    Most news organizations took that to mean BlackBerry was on sale, either as a whole, or in pieces.

You want to pin this all on Heins? Go for it. Buck has to end somewhere.
    09-28-14 06:11 PM
    He said the PlayBook was getting BB10, then canned the project because it didn't meet his expectations. As far as I'm concerned he was incentivized to run the company into the ground for a sale by Watsa, and did just that.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    09-28-14 06:52 PM
    He said the PlayBook was getting BB10, then canned the project because it didn't meet his expectations. As far as I'm concerned he was incentivized to run the company into the ground for a sale by Watsa, and did just that.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    That wouldn't surprise me one bit. I'm not saying he did anything with intend, just that anytime I see a Golden Parachute on a CEO of a struggling company, a CEO that really doesn't have the real qualifications to take such position, it makes me think about it. Heins is no Sergio Marchionne.

I could see the deal going something like this:

Board-"You are going to have to make tough decisions, lay many people off that you said were here to stay. Don't worry, if you can get us down path A you'll get $56,000,000 million. Down path B $22,000,000. What do you say?"

Heins-"Ja"

But what do I know...
    09-28-14 07:48 PM
    The problem was the PB was poorly made in the first place. 1 GB????

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 06:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    Build quality was good. Wasn't 1 GB standard back then?
    10-02-14 10:27 PM
    Looks like no single person at BlackBerry is to be credited or blamed for any progress or disaster respectively :-)

Posted from my SuperHuman Q10
    10-03-14 04:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sure that you have build quality and specs confused as being the same thing. They are not.

Every device has some build issues. The Pb had its share. But the specs worked and were avg for that time.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 05:33 AM
    I definitely think that Heins was under-appreciated as CEO. BB10 was his baby. It wasn't great when it was first launched but I think that is to be expected with a brand new OS. That's doesn't justify all of the bugs, some of which are still there, but I think he should get a bit of leeway.

Most importantly, he was the only CEO of BlackBerry that recognized the importance of the touch screen. Chen has re-focused on the PKB devices, and that's concerning. Failure to recognize the direction that the market was heading got BlackBerry into their current predicament and I worry that it is happening all over again. Time will tell if Chen's move away from touch is successful or not.

Regardless, I think Heins deserves some appreciation.

Posted using my Asus Transformer TF700T via the CrackBerry App
    CDM76 and Superfly_FR like this.
    10-03-14 11:00 AM
    Heins was not an abject failure, he had some good ideas, they just happened to be few and far between.

Someone posted earlier that the board gives direction to the CEO, so blame goes to them as well and I agree. But I would take it a step further in that the board provides strategic decision making while the CEO provides the tactical, day-to-day operations of the company. Heins did this part badly. The complete failure of marketing for BB10 was his fault. Whether it was mature, or not, is irrelevant.

Superfly, the board attempted, by some measure, to find a buyer for the company. From where I sit, that is an indication that the board sees no future at all. Whether in parts, or as a whole, BB couldn't sell itself when the stock price was lower than the sum of the pieces.

I'll go further to agree that Chen has certainly pointed things in the right direction. Where it ends up is anyone's guess. I'm still surprised that the SP is so volatile. I see BB making money next year, even if it is no where close to what they made in the old days.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-03-14 12:21 PM
    The complete failure of marketing for BB10 was his fault. Whether it was mature, or not, is irrelevant.
    No kidding. Heins once said 30% of BlackBerry users typed in more than one language, and that's the reason they made their keyboard predict words in up to 3 languages at once. If that were true why wasn't that feature marketed heavily? In my opinion, Vivek's demos of that feature were often **** poor.

That's the first feature I show anyone that is multilingual. And they love it! BlackBerry seems to have forgotten that feature even exists.
    10-04-14 02:56 AM
    I'll go further to agree that Chen has certainly pointed things in the right direction. Where it ends up is anyone's guess. I'm still surprised that the SP is so volatile. I see BB making money next year, even if it is no where close to what they made in the old days.
    It's quite clear Chen is following the same gameplan he did with Sybase, virtually to a T. Look at all the moves he made, hiring his people, hiring the same ad agency.

Its obvious he's whipping BB into shape and preparing it for a sale. Nobody wants to buy a company thats sinking (like it was under Heins), but rather a company with profit and potential growth and ideas (ala Chen).
    10-04-14 09:32 AM
    Great post SF. I agree 100%. TH brought BB10 along nicely. He released it underdeveloped because he HAD to, he made the necessary job cuts and he got the ball rolling on many projects.

The timing of it all, in retrospect, seems almost perfect. TH took it as far as he could and then handed it off to Chen; a master of budgeting, execution and soon growth. So essentially, TH gave Chen the tools he needed to turnaround the company, took the lumps for the company, took the shame and stepped out of the way

I'll admit though, I was very angry, understanding and underappreciative at the time!

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-04-14 10:01 AM
65 123