TheVerge Continues its disparaging coverage of Blackberry asking "ARE WE BEING TROLLED?" in response to Chen's open letter ,referring to Blackberry 10 as inchoate, accuses Chen of Freestyling and claims Developers aren't designing apps for bl;ackberry 10 because there are few users because the OS is inferior.

Link: BlackBerry's CEO thinks net neutrality means Apple should make apps for BlackBerry | The Verge

Article by Vlad Savov:

BlackBerry's CEO thinks net neutrality means Apple should make apps for BlackBerry
    A freestyling misinterpretation of the principles of net neutrality
    By Vlad Savov on January 22, 2015 12:47 am Email @vladsavov
    In the midst of Wednesday's maelstrom of Windows 10 news, BlackBerry CEO John Chen has published an open letter to the US Senate, in which he sets out BlackBerry's position on net neutrality. It starts off well enough, identifying the core of net neutrality as the principle that all internet traffic should be treated equally and service providers shouldn't be allowed to create discriminatory fast and slow lanes, however Chen finds that basic definition inadequate. In his view, it's not enough to demand non-discrimination in just the transport of data; the applications and services that serve up that data must be "neutral" as well. That is to say, we can't have proper net neutrality so long as Apple refuses to offer iMessage for BlackBerry and Netflix fails to provide its streaming service to BlackBerry users.

"Unlike BlackBerry, which allows iPhone users to download and use our BBM service, Apple does not allow BlackBerry or Android users to download Apples iMessage messaging service. Netflix, which has forcefully advocated for carrier neutrality, has discriminated against BlackBerry customers by refusing to make its streaming movie service available to them."
    ARE WE BEING TROLLED?

Chen's freestyling redefinition of neutrality equates two highly distinct industries and conflates a whole bunch of issues into a specious, and utterly warped, argument. As he rightly puts it, internet service providers are "like the railways of the last century, building the tracks to carry traffic to all points throughout the country" and apps are "the railway cars travelling on those tracks." But asking for neutral tracks simply means non-intervention on the part of the carriers, whereas trying to achieve neutral railway cars would require app developers to code their apps multiple times over to cover every mobile OS out there.

Carrier neutrality is both achievable and necessary. Fast and reliable internet connections are a necessary public service, one that an ever-increasing number of people and companies are relying on to do their work. iMessage, Netflix, and any other app that BlackBerry's inchoate mobile platform is currently lacking do not, as a group, constitute an equivalent economic need. If BlackBerry wants those services running on its phones, its best strategy would be to make a better OS, which would attract more users and thus more developers.

The BlackBerry CEO appears utterly convinced, however, that an open internet requires all apps be made available on all platforms and concludes with the following prescription:

"Neutrality must be mandated at the application and content layer if we truly want a free, open and non-discriminatory internet. All wireless broadband customers must have the ability to access any lawful applications and content they choose, and applications/content providers must be prohibited from discriminating based on the customers mobile operating system."
    01-22-15 05:26 PM
    John Chen is essentially asking for government bailout on the failed BB10 ecosystem.
    01-22-15 07:01 PM
    From the USA?
    01-22-15 07:14 PM
    Interesting how, just because BB10 has a smaller user base that makes it inferior. Chen is stating that it would be better to establish a standard protocol, similar to what Android is based on, where all phones are able to download and use all apps. This principal works great for android, but the integration with Google is what causes issues with using those apps on another platform.

Chen is simply trying to say there should be a standard, much like Bluetooth or USB; this is the standard and it is available to all manufacturers and we suggest you use it. Apple is notorious for going against this grain, they want to use their own specially designed ports, chargers and apps. A closed ecosystem is great, but only until the majority are using something else, at that point it becomes a death sentence. If we can all agree on a standard we will see tech grow much faster and in a better way.

BB for Life
    01-22-15 07:21 PM
    Sorry but no one with any brain can agree with John Chen. He is dead wrong. You cannot force developers to write apps for all platforms with government intervention. It goes against the free market.
    01-22-15 07:24 PM
    John Chen is essentially asking for government bailout on the failed BB10 ecosystem.
    What ecosystem? I didn't know they had one
    01-22-15 07:29 PM
    What Chen is saying makes perfect sense. Why should there be a monopoly with apple and their app ecosystem. Why is that allowed. Why can't I use my browser to stream Netflix? Allowing BlackBerry browser to stream through Netflix isn't time consuming to implement, yet here it is that I cannot stream from netflix on my bb10. It's purposely done so BlackBerry fails. All these big wigs want is for BlackBerry to fail so they can consume BlackBerry patents for cheap. That's all this is about. There are no more excuses here. BlackBerry 10 rocks, the passport rocks, my Z30 rocks. There are no reasons why BlackBerry devices shouldn't get these apps or access from.the browser for that matter.

Posted via CB10
    crackberryspqr likes this.
    01-22-15 07:32 PM
    What Chen is saying makes perfect sense. Why should there be a monopoly with apple and their app ecosystem. Why is that allowed. Why can't I use my browser to stream Netflix? Allowing BlackBerry browser to stream through Netflix isn't time consuming to implement, yet here it is that I cannot stream from netflix on my bb10. It's purposely done so BlackBerry fails. All these big wigs want is for BlackBerry to fail so they can consume BlackBerry patents for cheap. That's all this is about. There are no more excuses here. BlackBerry 10 rocks, the passport rocks, my Z30 rocks. There are no reasons why BlackBerry devices shouldn't get these apps or access from.the browser for that matter.

Posted via CB10
    Why didn't Blackberry share BBM with Nokia and Palm in its heyday? Why Blackberry sued Typo? Why is it okay to have a monopoly on keyboard but wrong for Apps? why should a business be forced to provide to all platform?
    01-22-15 07:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry but you just don't understand what you're saying.

The whole world has blown up at how stupid it is for him to have said what he said because it really is that stupid.

Apple isn't even the majority of the US cellphone market. How can you call that a monopoly?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    techvisor, ADGrant, Rello and 1 others like this.
    01-22-15 08:43 PM
    I wonder how Chen's comment on "app neutrality" compares to the string of greatest hits that came out from Jim, Mike and Thorsten. Personally, I think this topped them all.
    ADGrant and crackberryspqr like this.
    01-22-15 08:57 PM
    I wonder how Chen's comment on "app neutrality" compares to the string of greatest hits that came out from Jim, Mike and Thorsten. Personally, I think this topped them all.
    Sadly I am inclined to agree.

I mean,...wow.

Just Wow!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    ADGrant likes this.
    01-22-15 09:00 PM
    I'm sure Chen will be or is already regretting writing this article. This along with Marty Beards last week or so about HTML 5 apps being the be all and end all. BlackBerry heads are way out of touch from the market reality.
    ADGrant likes this.
    01-22-15 09:05 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...rality-992057/

Stick to the existing thread.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-22-15 09:22 PM