The key line in the article (to me) is "gets the timing right". RIM management are you listening? At this point the software has to be "good enough" - they cannot wait for "perfect".

================================================== ====
    Review: BlackBerry 10

BlackBerrys new software might just get the beleaguered RIM back in the race with its smartphone rivals but only if it gets the timing right.

At last months BlackBerry World, the annual trade show where Canadian manufacturer RIM announces its goods, there was a make-or-break atmosphere. And it all depends on BlackBerry 10. This is the operating system software that is due out later this year, replacing the current system. Since thats called BlackBerry 7 OS and this is not 8 or 9 but 10, its obviously a big leap forward, right?

Actually, it is. Although the software is not finished, the glimpses attendees had at the show were very impressive. A company called QNX was responsible for the vast majority of automotive computing systems. RIM bought QNX at a time that chief executive Thorsten Heins describes as a flush of good news. Sometimes you just get into a rhythm of success, he said. RIMs recent poor sales and bad headlines must be making him hope the company can find that rhythm again.

QNX then went on to design operating software for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. Though the tablet hasnt taken off, it was not the fault of the software which was acclaimed as nimble, sleek and highly enjoyable in use. Programs launch quickly and when youre done with them, you close them by flicking them off the screen its very satisfying.

This tablet software had advanced multitasking capabilities, so emails kept arriving speedily while you watched a video and websites updated in the background. Now the QNX system has evolved so it will work for both phones and tablets with new features and capabilities.

The phones home screen looks stunning, with big window tiles dotted about showing you stuff you need, making access to an email in-box quick and instant. One tap of the touch-screen opens an email and a flick of the thumb takes you to the chain of messages in the conversation. Its classy and liquid smooth.

The new handset distributed at the conference, called the Dev Alpha, was given to developers. Though RIM was clear that this is not final hardware, the styling was pretty neat, a shrunken version of the PlayBook, with high-resolution 4.2in display and highly tactile feel. Apart from offering industrial design consistent with the PlayBook, it looked slick enough to be released as a final product.

The real key to whether BlackBerry 10 will succeed is timing. If its not released until September or October, as is rumoured, it will face stiff competition from the next iPhone and latest version of Windows Phone. Later than that and its hard to see how it can turn things around for the company. Before then, and BlackBerry might be back in the game.
    ================================================== ====
    06-20-12 01:06 PM
    I will continue to say that no matter how great BB10 may seem, it still won't take off because at this point it's just a third or even fourth option with a lackluster ecosystem in an overly competitive market. It will take a couple of years for people to even begin to pay attention, if RIM will make it that far.
    Rickroller likes this.
    06-20-12 01:19 PM
    if it isnt release by september early october most like myself and my friends will be going for the windows 8 phone, looks at the windows phone summit where they state that the phone will share the same core as the windows 8 for pc which means that developers developing for the pc will be easy to port their apps over to the phone without breaking a sweat, too big a plus to ignore
    06-20-12 01:25 PM
    The real key to whether BlackBerry 10 will succeed is timing. If its not released until September or October, as is rumoured, it will face stiff competition from the next iPhone and latest version of Windows Phone. Later than that and its hard to see how it can turn things around for the company. Before then, and BlackBerry might be back in the game.
    They also need to catch the Christmas market.
    06-20-12 01:28 PM
    They really need to get it out by the end of August. At least then, they will have some chance. If they go head-to-head with the iphone 5 or the windoze 8 phone, it will be a massacre.
    Yaceka likes this.
    06-20-12 01:35 PM
    They really need to get it out by the end of August. At least then, they will have some chance. If they go head-to-head with the iphone 5 or the windoze 8 phone, it will be a massacre.
    yes, August would be very good.

I think that you can safely ignore the iPhone. The iSheep will slavishly buy one as soon as it apears, thired old OS and all.

WP7 is a good OS but there is a reluctance in the market to buy it. The iPhone effect is too strong.

BB10 is a VERY stable core OS (QNX). It will have a new UI (for a phone) and hopefully it will have quite a few apps at launch time too.

BB10 needs to be relatively bug free at launch. Remeber early Androids and that took 2 years to become stable.

The BB10 hardware is new too so we must hope that this works better than the Storm 1 did.

Finally I will not buy a BB10 until they come out with a physical keyboard model. I am sure that many BlackBerry users have the same criterion.
    06-20-12 01:44 PM
    RIM can ignore the iPhone yes, but they cannot ignore the media hype over it. They need to do press releases, full blown commercials, heavy heavy direct advertisements, and upgrade incentives, etc to their current users. They need to saturate the media with a GREAT product, both hardware and software, and get everybody at least TALKING about it, if not seeing it in a store.

Why the heck dont they send a direct BBM blast to ALL BlackBerry users registered in areas where the phone is launching, and offer them $50 by mail for upgrading, or $100 whatever it is. They have an immensely powerful social media tool at their disposal and dont use it at all.
    Cesare21, Dapper37 and polytope like this.
    06-20-12 01:48 PM
    RIM can ignore the iPhone yes, but they cannot ignore the media hype over it. They need to do press releases, full blown commercials, heavy heavy direct advertisements, and upgrade incentives, etc to their current users. They need to saturate the media with a GREAT product, both hardware and software, and get everybody at least TALKING about it, if not seeing it in a store.

Why the heck dont they send a direct BBM blast to ALL BlackBerry users registered in areas where the phone is launching, and offer them $50 by mail for upgrading, or $100 whatever it is. They have an immensely powerful social media tool at their disposal and dont use it at all.
    In order to do that, the end-user would need to accept terms to be sent advertisement/notices... you just can't contact people without authorization, as it is illegal in most countries. I guess they could bake it into the next terms and conditions in the next version of BBM, the one where you have to click "I agree".
    06-20-12 01:58 PM
    August is extremely unlikely. RIM hasn't given devs the second iteration of the SDKs for BB10 and won't be for another few weeks (according to the Cascades webcast yesterday).
    06-20-12 02:00 PM
    Disagree with the whole timing argument completely. They cannot afford to release anything that can remotely be considered to be labeled 'half-baked'. BB10 has to be 100% complete and ready for prime time when it goes out the door. That needs to be some time in 2012 because that's when Mr. Heins said it would be coming. Period. There is no middle ground, there can be no 'that feature is coming in a later update', or else the whole platform will be panned worse than the Storm and PlayBook combined.

/rant
    And again, let's get off this speculation-as-fact crap. RIM has been going balls to the wall to get developers on board to ensure that BB10 has a robust ecosystem. Beyond what they have done to this point, nobody knows what it will be. And enough of the 'it will be years behind by the time it is released' BS, because YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE WILL LOOK LIKE by the time it is released.
    /end-rant
    06-20-12 02:04 PM
    In order to do that, the end-user would need to accept terms to be sent advertisement/notices... you just can't contact people without authorization, as it is illegal in most countries. I guess they could bake it into the next terms and conditions in the next version of BBM, the one where you have to click "I agree".
    I honestly have not read the terms and conditions in any of the BBMs, so I am not aware if they have already covered that. They could easily put that into a version of BBM though.
    06-20-12 02:04 PM
    Disagree with the whole timing argument completely. They cannot afford to release anything that can remotely be considered to be labeled 'half-baked'. BB10 has to be 100% complete and ready for prime time when it goes out the door. That needs to be some time in 2012 because that's when Mr. Heins said it would be coming. Period. There is no middle ground, there can be no 'that feature is coming in a later update', or else the whole platform will be panned worse than the Storm and PlayBook combined.

/rant
    And again, let's get off this speculation-as-fact crap. RIM has been going balls to the wall to get developers on board to ensure that BB10 has a robust ecosystem. Beyond what they have done to this point, nobody knows what it will be. And enough of the 'it will be years behind by the time it is released' BS, because YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE WILL LOOK LIKE by the time it is released.
    /end-rant
    The dev alpha device is easily on par with current devices in terms of specs. Its not a final product either, so lets hope RIM pulls out all of the stops in the final product.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    06-20-12 02:06 PM
    And please people, do remember that since last fall RIM has said that BB10 would be available in "late 2012". If it comes out sooner ... so much the better but you can't fault them for continuing with the statement they have repeated since fall 2011.

If there are those [and their friends. Let's not forget the "friends".] who can't possibly hold out for the time frame that RIM set out last fall ... then so be it. We hope that you and your friends are very happy with your devices.

You see, it really doesn't matter what RIM does or doesn't do, does it? If they stick to something they have said, well, they are being short sighted. If they release it too soon, they get blasted for not waiting.

Can anyone find the win between those two options?
    sleepngbear likes this.
    06-20-12 02:09 PM
    RIM needs to have this OS in perfect shape. "Good enough" won't cut it and they'll get slaughtered in the press. RIM has made far too many missteps and they'll get no benefit of the doubt in the media. Unless OS10 wows people right away RIM might as well throw in the towel.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    06-20-12 02:14 PM
    RIM needs to have this OS in perfect shape. "Good enough" won't cut it and they'll get slaughtered in the press. RIM has made far too many missteps and they'll get no benefit of the doubt in the media. Unless OS10 wows people right away RIM might as well throw in the towel.
    What does "perfect" and "100%" mean? No software is ever that. I've been developing enterprise software for more than 25 years and the words "perfect" and "100%" have almost no meaning. If they imply "bug free software" forget it because that will never happen. If those terms refer to a feature set then identify the features that make it perfect and complete. When I say "good enough", I mean something that is relatively stable wrt to bugs but has an adequate/competitive feature set with a few highly innovative "new" features (e.g., the predictive keyboard). Something that will make existing users stick around. RIM will get almost zero traction with current Android users until it can solidify its own base.

What's going to be more important are native apps and 3rd party apps available for the platform. I'm glad to see RIM focusing on the app developer community. The sooner they get it out the better chance of building momentum in the developer community.
    06-20-12 02:34 PM
    And please people, do remember that since last fall RIM has said that BB10 would be available in "late 2012". If it comes out sooner ... so much the better but you can't fault them for continuing with the statement they have repeated since fall 2011.

If there are those [and their friends. Let's not forget the "friends".] who can't possibly hold out for the time frame that RIM set out last fall ... then so be it. We hope that you and your friends are very happy with your devices.

You see, it really doesn't matter what RIM does or doesn't do, does it? If they stick to something they have said, well, they are being short sighted. If they release it too soon, they get blasted for not waiting.

Can anyone find the win between those two options?

Cant argue on this one. RIM needs to stick to their statements of 'late 2012'. I have been following news solely filtered by RIM and the initial reviews have been great. However, while the OS needs to be top-notch, the hardware should not fail. The newer handsets that get shipped are dual core with amazing on paper processors. Has anybody used all that speed in their daily use? The point here is to make a product that appeals to critics and RIM's core users too. Definitely a tall order going by where RIM stands now; I just hope they reach that fine line of having an excellent corporate phone while having specs and usability to blow away their top competiton.

My 9810 performs very well, and I don't mind waiting for a phone (read RIM phone) which will beat the 9810 at every part of the game. With rumoured 1.4 ghz dual core processors, and a fantastic OS (courtsey QNX) and the same path breaking innovation RIM was once known for; BB10 handcents will arguably shake the game.

Just my 2 cents on this.
    06-20-12 02:34 PM
    What does "perfect" and "100%" mean? No software is ever that. I've been developing enterprise software for more than 25 years and the words "perfect" and "100%" have almost no meaning. If they imply "bug free software" forget it because that will never happen. If those terms refer to a feature set then identify the features that make it perfect and complete. When I say "good enough", I mean something that is relatively stable wrt to bugs but has an adequate/competitive feature set with a few highly innovative "new" features (e.g., the predictive keyboard). Something that will make existing users stick around. RIM will get almost zero traction with current Android users until it can solidify its own base.

What's going to be more important are native apps and 3rd party apps available for the platform. I'm glad to see RIM focusing on the app developer community. The sooner they get it out the better chance of building momentum in the developer community.
    No, no software is ever perfect. It means don't rush it out before it's 100% ready just for the sake of getting it out sooner. Look at all the ruckus that caused with the PlayBook. Sure it would be nice if that could happen in time for back-to-school, but I don't think that's a possibility now, and they should not force the date if the device is not fully in a production-ready state.

As for developers, they don't have to wait for the production device to drop; RIM is building momentum with them now. Hopefully they will have enough of an app selection at release time that users won't be able to use that as an excuse to avoid the brand any more. Then we (hopefully) will have a user base-developer base upward spiral instead of the downward spiral that the current BBOS is facing.
    06-20-12 03:48 PM
    BBM is the largest mobile social network on the planet. And you are absolutley right about RIM failing to leverage it as a promotional tool.
    Yaceka and CairnsRock like this.
    06-20-12 07:30 PM
    Liked the article but surely it shouldnt be a review? that isnt the full OS yet and i doubt whoever wrote the article got much time alone with the device, its got to be considered as more like a preview
    06-20-12 07:34 PM
    That is a very good idea; I would much rather receive communication/info/upgrade notice/incentives via BBM from RIM then by any other way possible. While I acknowledge that there are legal issues to be sorted out, most of that could be dealt with by a new agreement that is implemented when BBM is next upgraded or, if that is not suffice, than an opt out option, i.e., click here to opt out of RIM contacting you. Honestly, I don't see the legal issue to be that great of a hurdle and the benefits of doing something like this is great - pure target messages to your actual target customers. How can that be a bad thing?
    06-20-12 07:42 PM
    That is a very good idea; I would much rather receive communication/info/upgrade notice/incentives via BBM from RIM then by any other way possible. While I acknowledge that there are legal issues to be sorted out, most of that could be dealt with by a new agreement that is implemented when BBM is next upgraded or, if that is not suffice, than an opt out option, i.e., click here to opt out of RIM contacting you. Honestly, I don't see the legal issue to be that great of a hurdle and the benefits of doing something like this is great - pure target messages to your actual target customers. How can that be a bad thing?
    I agree they should leverage this. Sad that I received an email about the storm about 2 weeks after I bought it and registered for the "notify me with updates", same happened with the pb and all the current products. Is it really that hard to update customers when the product is being announced. I knew the dates from crackberry, blackberry didn't think it was necessary to tell me until well after the fact.
    06-20-12 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD