Tech's biggest misfires of 2013

Engadget has been pretty neutral for the most part with regards to Blackberry this year. They gave pretty good reviews for the first BB10 devices, but that didn't keep Blackberry off their list this year. They're in good company with the likes of Microsoft, Ouya and the NSA.

They also predict, interestingly enough, that Blackberry may make their list next year as well. At least they're predicting Blackberry will be around to make the list

Partial quote from the article:

PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING BLACKBERRY
    Listen; we're as sick of including BlackBerry on this last as you are reading about it -- the company's managed to make its way onto this list in some form or another since we started compiling it back in 2011. And while we've been holding out hope that the Canadian smartphone manufacturer would have turned things around by now, each new piece of news out of Waterloo seemingly confirms that it hasn't quite found the bottom yet. By all accounts, it should have been a banner year for the company, wrapping up January by launching the long-awaited BlackBerry 10 with a bang. The release arrived with two new handsets -- the Q10 and Z10 -- and a complete rebranding for the company, finally shedding the stuffy Research in Motion moniker for the more familiar BlackBerry. Shortly after the announcement, the company's newly named creative director (and sometime singer-songwriter) Alicia Keys tweeted from her iPhone. It wasn't a make-or-break moment for the smartphone wars, but it was hard not to read the gaffe as symbolic of the company's larger struggles.

In March, new CEO Thorsten Heins announced that the company wasn't interested in targeting the developing world, and the following week, BlackBerry's tone-deaf band was at it again with an Etta James parody announcing that the OS was finally ready to ship. When we got our hands on the new phones, it was pretty clear that they weren't the game-changers BlackBerry was clearly gunning for. Revenue proved disappointing, as well, as the smartphone maker continued hemorrhaging jobs again and again. And as for the "budget" Q5, well, if you can't say anything nice... In September, it was announced that the company had lost a billion dollars in a three-month period. Later that month, amidst much speculation, an Ontario-based financial holdings company was set to take over, only to have the deal fall through, instead opting for an investment, while ousting Heins, who joined the CMO, CFO and COO in the long line of Blackberry job losses. Just last week, it was revealed that the company's continued financial woes put the kibosh on plans for two budget handsets.

New CEO John Chen has, naturally, remained bullish (if, understandably, grounded), projecting profitability by 2016. In the meantime, don't be too shocked if BlackBerry winds up on another of these lists before it's all over.
    12-30-13 10:35 AM
    They stopped reviews up till Q5?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 10:41 AM
    What can I say, they like us!!!!! They really like us!

kbz1960 likes this.
    12-30-13 10:41 AM
    Hard to argue... especially with the horrible BB10 sales and the massive losses incurred by Blackberry as proof.
    12-30-13 10:43 AM
    I think every one knows that BlackBerry had those problems, but what I really hate is the joy of those people, who repeat and repeat it all over and over...

Posted via CB10
    pkcable likes this.
    12-30-13 10:50 AM
    They stopped reviews up till Q5?

Posted via CB10
    I don't know, did they review the Z30? I thought I saw a short write up. I know their Z10 review was very thorough and actually quite positive.
    12-30-13 10:53 AM
    I deeply respect Engadget truly neutral in my opinion. After all their statements in regards to blackberry are mostly true.
    John Chen rescue us!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 10:57 AM
    I don't know, did they review the Z30? I thought I saw a short write up. I know their Z10 review was very thorough and actually quite positive.
    Yh I would like to see their z30 review

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 11:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    They didn't hate it, but they didn't love it either.....

BlackBerry Z30 review
    12-30-13 11:12 AM
    BlackBerry Z30 review

It was mostly positive, as were most other reviews of the Z30 from other sources. Overall though, they thought it should have offered more for a late-2013 flagship phone.

Same as several other reviews: "too little, too late", seems to be the consensus.
    12-30-13 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the links.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 11:17 AM
    yup very much misfire...let's hope we can get those pistons firing as they should.....full the tank up;make sure that the wheels are on securely. Cant have them falling off in the middle of the journey
    SK122387 likes this.
    12-30-13 12:17 PM
    BlackBerry Z30 review

It was mostly positive, as were most other reviews of the Z30 from other sources. Overall though, they thought it should have offered more for a late-2013 flagship phone.

Same as several other reviews: "too little, too late", seems to be the consensus.
    Interesting how they say the poor quality is poor (they even go into detail about the "clicks" and other negatives), meanwhile everyone around here is singing praises.

I haven't had any major problems with my Z10, but my 5S picks up LTE in more places and holds the same if not better signal. That being said, both devices are much better with call quality and signal strength than my Galaxy Nexus.
    12-30-13 12:58 PM