08-08-17 05:26 PM
56 123
tools
    Here is a curious CNET article that states Zibell himself said they plan to release up to 3 devices this year. The next one after the KEYone, is a follow up to the DTEK series and they are dropping the DTEK name!

https://www.cnet.com/news/more-black...lcatel-keyone/
    03-01-17 01:26 AM
    If they plan to release THREE phones this year, that leaves a lot of room to speculation!!! For me, it doesn't make sense to release 2 phones with the same form factor unless they are going for a mid & high combo like the DTEK 50 & 60. So maybe, it could be a higher spec'd KEYone PLUS, or a follow up to the Priv?

I've always wondered why they don't re-use the old names like Bold, Pearl, Curve, Torch, or Storm... Instead of coming up with things like DTEK.
    03-01-17 01:37 AM
    I wish we knew more about the licensing agreement between BlackBerry and TCL. Right now it feels like TCL could do a stellar job of pumping out the phones, but if BlackBerry drops the ball on the software side then those efforts won't mean much.

Has BlackBerry committed to timely software updates under the licensing agreement? This would be nice to know.
    03-01-17 02:45 AM
    Maybe it's time to change the name BlackBerry?
    Someone feel free to use that as a thread idea.

If they plan to release THREE phones this year, that leaves a lot of room to speculation!!! For me, it doesn't make sense to release 2 phones with the same form factor unless they are going for a mid & high combo like the DTEK 50 & 60. So maybe, it could be a higher spec'd KEYone PLUS, or a follow up to the Priv?

I've always wondered why they don't re-use the old names like Bold, Pearl, Curve, Torch, or Storm... Instead of coming up with things like DTEK.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-17 02:56 AM
    A real smartphones line is a good news to hope sales number for BlackBerry mobile, the advertising will do the rest.... and it's a big question
    03-01-17 03:08 AM

Has BlackBerry committed to timely software updates under the licensing agreement? This would be nice to know.
    My understanding is that BlackBerry has definitely made a commitment on the software side to keep the updates coming every month. I wonder where CNet got this scoop, or rumor, as it were, about 3 phones this year. It would be great to see an upgraded Priv 2. I love the form factor. Maybe they will come out with a BlackBerry android tablet. A secured tablet would be very useful for small business people who need point of sale tablets. It seems there would be a market for tablets with security features.
    03-01-17 03:14 AM
    A secured tablet would be very useful for small business people who need point of sale tablets. It seems there would be a market for tablets with security features.
    I'm no fan of Apple products, but it can't be disputed that the world is doing just fine using iPads for this purpose. They've been everywhere for years already - no one is waiting for BB/TCL for this.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-01-17 10:49 AM
    I'm no fan of Apple products, but it can't be disputed that the world is doing just fine using iPads for this purpose. They've been everywhere for years already - no one is waiting for BB/TCL for this.
    I agree. Even my favorite local jambalaya shop is using one. I hate signing my name with my finger on those darned screens, but they are all over the place.

Joel
    03-01-17 10:54 AM
    A full touch for sure but what else, a flip phone?
    03-01-17 11:03 AM
    One article I read they talked about interviewing someone at TCL.... Updates to the DTEK50 and DTEK60 were what they said these two other phones would be. Which sorta makes sense as BlackBerry will eventually sell what stock they have of those, or liquidate the inventor... so that Chen can finalize the move out of hardware.

Now I've heard that TCL would not be just relabeling their other devices for BlackBerry.... so we'll have to see what they come up with.
    03-01-17 11:23 AM
    I do see a lot of iPads for that use. But I use an Alcatel tablet with square for point of sale, and as you know, TCL makes those. I know a number of vendors that use their cell phones. I also have square set up on my Priv but prefer having the larger device for point of sale. NO, I am not going to shell out $$ to buy an iPad for that purpose.
    The reason I brought it up is Steve Cistulli, of TCL seemed positively inclined in a tweet responding to someone who suggested a tablet. TCL makes tablets that are very nice and modestly priced. Tablets are also used more and more in the health care industry. BlackBerry's secure software for health care is something BlackBerry is pushing and it would offer an end to end solution.
    I would buy one. But it would probably do best as a tie in deal. I got my Alcatel One Touch as a special from T-Mobile. [One Touch--hmmm--that is an interesting name similarity to the KEYone]
    03-01-17 12:35 PM
    My understanding is that BlackBerry has definitely made a commitment on the software side to keep the updates coming every month. I wonder where CNet got this scoop, or rumor, as it were, about 3 phones this year. It would be great to see an upgraded Priv 2. I love the form factor. Maybe they will come out with a BlackBerry android tablet. A secured tablet would be very useful for small business people who need point of sale tablets. It seems there would be a market for tablets with security features.
    How well did the BlackBerry-secured Samsing tablets do?
    03-01-17 02:31 PM
    They weren't available for most people, as far as I know.
    03-01-17 02:33 PM
    Can I put in for my dream device?

A Dtek50 sized phone with Dtek60 internal specs, an RGB LED, and a rubberized back like my Z10, and sold through AT&T.

Yes, I know the whole carrier locked thing is a worse deal with Android than it is with the BB10 phones. It's easy to update the OS on even a locked AT&T BB10 - which I've done plenty of times, but not so with a locked AT&T android phone.

Still, it's just easier for me.

Joel
    03-01-17 04:40 PM
    Hope for another Keyboard in 17..

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 09:29 AM
    Here is a curious CNET article that states Zibell himself said they plan to release up to 3 devices this year. The next one after the KEYone, is a follow up to the DTEK series and they are dropping the DTEK name!

https://www.cnet.com/news/more-black...lcatel-keyone/
    Why is it curious? This was confirmed on the CB podcast long before the CNET article even went up lol. They already have their second device laid out, so pushing out another is certainly no stretch.

http://crackberry.com/crackberry-10t...ry-podcast-001
    03-02-17 10:57 AM
    Just wish they would give a description of what the phones will be. May save me from leaving BB. Especially if they do a Passport form factor with either VKB or PKB and good specs.
    03-02-17 11:36 AM
    I hope one of those phones (maybe even the KeyOne) will be a strong business phone.

By that I mean keyboard shortcuts and copy paste features as fast+accurate as with trackpad. Glass just does not do it for me in terms of accuracy and speed. I tired.

I don't want Netflix or Supermario in a stylish paper thin design with hi-res display. I want a business phone that can replace my battle fatigued 9900 that I still use currently.
    03-02-17 12:06 PM
    I hope one of those phones (maybe even the KeyOne) will be a strong business phone.

By that I mean keyboard shortcuts and copy paste features as fast+accurate as with trackpad. Glass just does not do it for me in terms of accuracy and speed. I tired.

I don't want Netflix or Supermario in a stylish paper thin design with hi-res display. I want a business phone that can replace my battle fatigued 9900 that I still use currently.
    It sounds as though:
    KEYone is
    The one
    for you!

( pronounce "the" with a long e sound for the full impact of the slogan).
    03-02-17 05:45 PM
    I would love to see something like the Curve (lower end KB deivice), the K1 and maybe a K1 level all-screen device.

Are the DTEK50 and DTEK60 already being replaced? I've never seen a D60 anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 04:46 PM
    I don't use my physical keyboard on my Priv hardly at all (0% in the stats), but I do use it for scrolling. So I wouldn't mind a new Priv - physically it's a great looking phone. However, the bottom part is a dust magnet, and the speaker sucks. So if they fix that with high-end specs, I'd get it. I like that it's not light as a feather and is substantial.

I'd be more than happy for an all-touch though that has the curved edges and the same size as the Priv. I'd trade the slider for even more battery. I don't really care about an ultra-thin feather of a phone.
    03-07-17 02:12 PM
    I would love to see something like the Curve (lower end KB deivice), the K1 and maybe a K1 level all-screen device.

Are the DTEK50 and DTEK60 already being replaced? I've never seen a D60 anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    The DTEK's are last years phone... and they are BlackBerry sold phones, and BlackBerry is getting out of the phone selling business. Think TCL wants to start fresh. If they just started selling those leftovers, it wouldn't be news. But they come out with two all new phones, they get headlines... and that is what licensing the BlackBerry brand means for them.
    03-13-17 08:22 AM
    Dim sum...? Kim chi..? ;-D

•   THISone, with the keys, hopefully coming soon to a phone store down unda... :-D   •
    03-16-17 09:50 PM
    At this rate if they get the KeyOne out this year will be doing well. Actually I'm wondering whether this was the right choice for BB , their partner in Malaysia already has the device being released shortly. I think the TCL deal won't last, I don't see them doing that well with Alcatel.

TCL is a lower end brand which is sales and not marketing driven. You can see that with their TV's.

KeyOne from when first announced and showcased, to whenever being released is way too long. There are multiple devices launching almost monthly with the big anticipation for S8, if they release at the same time, they will just be clouded by the marketing that Samsung will bring on.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-17-17 05:17 AM
    Can I put in for my dream device?

A Dtek50 sized phone with Dtek60 internal specs, an RGB LED, and a rubberized back like my Z10, and sold through AT&T.

Yes, I know the whole carrier locked thing is a worse deal with Android than it is with the BB10 phones. It's easy to update the OS on even a locked AT&T BB10 - which I've done plenty of times, but not so with a locked AT&T android phone.

Still, it's just easier for me.

Joel
    YES!! Except for the AT&T part, a smaller Dtek60 would be great!!
    03-27-17 08:59 PM
56 123