12-11-19 12:54 PM
171 ... 34567
tools
    Being British myself, you might want to work on it a bit.
    LMAO
    10-18-19 06:30 AM
    I apologise. I took you for an American.
    LMAOx2

Hey wait a minute ....... exactly what’s that’s supposed to mean ;-D
    10-18-19 06:31 AM
    I was being ironic as many Brits tend to be.
    LMAOx2

Hey wait a minute ....... exactly what’s that’s supposed to mean ;-D
    It means Brits don't understand the difference between sarcasm and irony?
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-18-19 08:16 AM
    I think that BlackBerry’s desire and need is to provide the security for a phone with their branding. Not on to slap their brand on a device without security features.
    Their desire is to monetize their patents and investments. Their acquisition of Cylance certainly seems to be off to a good start and their lawsuits against Twitter and Facebook over infringement of patents utilized for their respective use of messaging technology have created revenue that would not have been possible with patents sitting dormant with no revenue stream.
    10-18-19 08:45 AM
    It means Brits don't understand the difference between sarcasm and irony?
    I don't know who started this, but would mind awfully staying on topic?
    Thank you
    10-18-19 08:45 AM
    I don't know who started this, but would mind awfully staying on topic?
    Thank you
    You started it.
    10-18-19 09:47 AM
    You started it.
    You don't say! LoL
    10-18-19 12:24 PM
    None of this surprises me, if true. It's right in line with what little information (or lack thereof) we do have.

The reason TCL execs still mention BlackBerry as one of their brands is because, as of right now, it still is. They still have inventory to sell and they still have a licensing agreement in effect.

But nothing they have said gives any indication that they have plans for the future of the brand, let alone any new devices in the works.

I doubt we will see a new BlackBerry device from TCL.

I would say it's possible TCL and BlackBerry Ltd could come to an understanding and give it another try, but I think the results of the partnership have fallen far below expectations on both sides. The devices didn't sell in quantities needed to make the venture a profitable one.

Regardless, I have to tip my hat to TCL/BlackBerry Mobile. I think they gave it an excellent effort at the outset. I think they built some positive energy and momentum around the launches of the KEYone and KEY2 - thanks in good part to CrackBerry for agreeing to use its own brand to help spread the word. The fact that we have still been able to buy brand new BlackBerry phones with that iconic, amazing physical keyboard in 2019 is nothing short of fantastic.

But, as has been the common refrain for the past decade when it comes to BlackBerry phones, it appears to have been too little, too late. The positive vibes have dissipated, the momentum has been lost.

Even if TCL/BlackBerry Mobile were to launch another BlackBerry device, the only ones who would care would be those like myself who can't stand typing lengthy chunks of text such as this on anything but a physical keyboard. And that just wouldn't be enough to sustain the current business model.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. But having had my hopes crushed with BB10, this feels all too familiar.

Posted with clicky precision from my Atomic KEY2 LE
    One hope, if an some investor - fan of Blackberry comes to John Chen, will invest a lot of money in developing of a new system and new design, then there is a chance of progress. It’s very unfortunate that they did not develop bb os 10, now it would be a worthy Company...
    10-18-19 04:01 PM
    One hope, if an some investor - fan of Blackberry comes to John Chen, will invest a lot of money in developing of a new system and new design, then there is a chance of progress. It’s very unfortunate that they did not develop bb os 10, now it would be a worthy Company...
    They lost $10 billion on BB10 and barely survived. Is that not enough for you?
    10-18-19 05:04 PM
    Yes, John Chen knows what is needed (sarcasm).

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/crackber...artphone%3famp
    10-18-19 05:44 PM
    BlackBerry is obviously a software company, since that's where 80%+ of there revenue is coming from. But the customer is almost exclusively enterprise information security teams, not consumers or mobile OEMs.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    *BB is a software company who ‘retires’ the software and wonders why no money is coming in... well once you stop maintaining it and time goes buy the value of it starts to evaporate..,
    When making hardware, track record is release ver 1. Then a lighter cheaper version. Then version 1 folks wait on new swag which steps up the game. Either another hardware just like ver. Or c*ompany pulls line.*
    dalinxz likes this.
    10-21-19 03:00 PM
    *BB is a software company who ‘retires’ the software and wonders why no money is coming in... well once you stop maintaining it and time goes buy the value of it starts to evaporate..,
    When making hardware, track record is release ver 1. Then a lighter cheaper version. Then version 1 folks wait on new swag which steps up the game. Either another hardware just like ver. Or c*ompany pulls line.*
    Except BB doesnt have to wonder why no money is coming in. They will be saving money by no longer having to support what has now become deadweight and focusing on where 99% of their business is now focused
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-21-19 03:47 PM
    Except BB doesnt have to wonder why no money is coming in. They will be saving money by no longer having to support what has now become deadweight and focusing on where 99% of their business is now focused
    I think he is saying is it's deadweight because of track record and pattern of behaviour with software maintenance and advertising their products. If the pattern does not change everything Blackberry will become deadweight.
    dalinxz likes this.
    10-21-19 04:14 PM
    I think he is saying is it's deadweight because of track record and pattern of behaviour with software maintenance and advertising their products. If the pattern does not change everything Blackberry will become deadweight.
    That's because every bit of software they've ever created in the mobile space has incurred staggering losses. BIS SAF was the only revenue-positive thing they've ever had in mobile.
    Laura Knotek and dalinxz like this.
    10-21-19 05:20 PM
    That's because every bit of software they've ever created in the mobile space has incurred staggering losses. BIS SAF was the only revenue-positive thing they've ever had in mobile.
    And the only reason for that is because BIS SAF was the only real game in town for mobile until iPhone but I don't want to dive too deep into a history class. They sat on their hands without any further innovation to compete in mobile and it seems history is repeating itself.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 10-22-19 at 12:39 AM.
    dalinxz likes this.
    10-21-19 06:05 PM
    I could see perhaps Cisco kicking the tires and looking for any useful patents BBRY owns. Sony killed their Sony-Ericsson joint venture with Ericsson since switching to Android. Sony is on its own life support since killing of Symbian operating system. Perhaps one of the larger Canadian Telecos could buy it and move it in house if the price is right. i.e. Bell Canada, Telus, Rogers Communications. QNX might make for a good TV set top box platform perhaps for a Roku or Tivo, or watches like FitBit etc.
    One thing is for sure there will be more customers for phones produced in the five eyes country
    10-25-19 05:58 AM
    You also have a right and vested interest to know what TCL's future plans are.

The Key series ads on the CB pages still lead to the EU store, at least in Spain. I don't know if there are similar ads in NA or the UK to name two massive BB markets.
    Checkout Clove Technologies UK
    10-25-19 06:01 AM
    Checkout Clove Technologies UK
    https://www.clove.co.uk/collections/...nes-blackberry

BlackBerry KEY2 Options
    Version: UK Model - Dual SIM
    Colour: Black
    Memory: 128GB + 6GB RAM
    Price: £499.99 £599.99 (inc-VAT)

LE
    £287.49 £344.99 (inc VAT)
    Keyone

BlackBerry KEYone Options
    Version: UK Model - Single SIM
    Colour: Black Edition
    Memory: 64GB + 4GB RAM
    Price: £210.00 £252.00 (inc-VAT)

Version: UK Model - Single SIM
    Colour: Silver
    Memory: 32GB + 3GB RAM
    Price: £188.33 £226.00 (inc-VAT)
    10-25-19 08:22 AM
    So . . . . basically dont bother buying a phone? i would think the software would still be upgraded since its Android? Was planning on buying an LE in the next 30 days
    10-25-19 11:03 AM
    So . . . . basically dont bother buying a phone? i would think the software would still be upgraded since its Android? Was planning on buying an LE in the next 30 days
    The software won't be upgraded unless BlackBerry Mobile pays BlackBerry Limited for the work, and there is no guarantee that will happen. BlackBerry Android phones use a unique version of Android hardened and configured by BlackBerry Limited. It is not possible to use any OS that isn't digitally signed by BlackBerry Limited, so, unless BlackBerry Mobile pays for the work, the LE will never received an update to Pie, 10, etc.

tazcubed and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-25-19 11:08 AM
    UGH . . . . two sided here . . . . Hate to hear cause I want the phone . . . Glad to hear before I DID purchase . . .
    10-25-19 11:10 AM
    UGH . . . . two sided here . . . . Hate to hear cause I want the phone . . . Glad to hear before I DID purchase . . .
    I understand. I am happy with Oreo, but it's reasonable to want the updates.

10-25-19 11:12 AM
    Maybe if they actually listened to the market and delivered, they would sell more phones. the key2 that was pushed w/ physical nav buttons was already setup to not advance to new android OS and its gestures. they did everything wrong! thats a shame.
    dalinxz likes this.
    12-03-19 05:19 PM
    Maybe if they actually listened to the market and delivered, they would sell more phones. the key2 that was pushed w/ physical nav buttons was already setup to not advance to new android OS and its gestures. they did everything wrong! thats a shame.
    Those capacitive navigation keys are horrible lol...and that LCD really pales in comparison to just about any OLED.

Those are my main gripes with this device
    dalinxz likes this.
    12-03-19 06:18 PM
    The phone doesn't even have Pie, so gestures are irrelevant.
    12-03-19 06:38 PM
171 ... 34567