My wife just went to Peru, so she figured she would give this a go and see how it worked. Apparently, you'll be prompted to accept roaming texting and you have to accept it for the service to work, and Internet service won't work automatically. In her case, she had to dial #766# to be prompted to activate the Internet. Lastly, she still had to dial Peruvian numbers with country and state codes as if she was dialing from the states. The service was pretty spotty where she was in Lima, but it did seem to work well enough for her to send texts and BBM when she had signal.

Just letting you know you might want to contact T-Mobile for specific country instructions before you travel, because they haven't really advertised that the service doesn't kick in automatically.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by idon12no; 11-02-13 at 10:16 AM.
    11-02-13 09:40 AM
    Better than paying $20/MB on Verizon.

Thanks for the info!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 09:59 AM
    Better than paying $20/MB on Verizon.

Thanks for the info!

Posted via CB10
    $20/mb! Wow that's criminal.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 11:32 AM
    O2 UK used to do this for 20 a month, until that Spanish ***** Telefonica got its mitts on o2
    11-04-13 07:56 PM
    is your wife's phone unlocked? i ask because funny enough, i am in peru as well... my bb is unlocked and i was using a local sim card (i got here before this new plan was activated)... well, now i am using the t-mobile sim card with no issues (even though sometimes internet could be slow)... i just put my sim card and got service right away... i haven't made a phone call or text message though so i can't comment about that...

My wife just went to Peru, so she figured she would give this a go and see how it worked. Apparently, you'll be prompted to accept roaming texting and you have to accept it for the service to work, and Internet service won't work automatically. In her case, she had to dial #766# to be prompted to activate the Internet. Lastly, she still had to dial Peruvian numbers with country and state codes as if she was dialing from the states. The service was pretty spotty where she was in Lima, but it did seem to work well enough for her to send texts and BBM when she had signal.

Just letting you know you might want to contact T-Mobile for specific country instructions before you travel, because they haven't really advertised that the service doesn't kick in automatically.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 08:29 PM
    @Gallopiton: Yeah, we got it unlocked a little before she left. She's in the Miraflores area. She went ahead and got a Claro simcard because she didn't want to pay the 20 cents a minute for talk. Not sure why your Internet worked right away when hers didn't. Maybe because your phone had already been using data on a local sim?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 09:48 PM
    no idea, i was using a movistar sim card but then, i needed to receive a text message on my american number... so, i just put the t-mobile sim in, and right away i got signal (choosing the movistar signal by the way, idk if she tried to use claro with her t-mobile sim card and maybe this is why she had a different experience), and 30 sec later the text message came in... i did not need to do anything at all... my prepaid plan with movistar lasted a couple of more days so i put back the local sim card, got signal right away again and once the plan expired i started using the t-mobile sim card with no issues (besides the slow internet speed at times)... when i put the usa sim card to receive the text message i wasn't even in the capital city, and now i am nearby Lima and no problems at all... could be something wrong with her phone or with the roaming settings...

@Gallopiton: Yeah, we got it unlocked a little before she left. She's in the Miraflores area. She went ahead and got a Claro simcard because she didn't want to pay the 20 cents a minute for talk. Not sure why your Internet worked right away when hers didn't. Maybe because your phone had already been using data on a local sim?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 11:11 PM
    I thought you were referring to data (Internet) . All she had to do for texts to work was say yes to a message that asked her to accept roaming. She said her Internet still wouldn't work at that point though. That was when I called T-Mobile and the operator told me my wife needed to enter the code for her Internet to work. Wife entered the code then she said her Internet started working, but the signal seemed very spotty. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 07:52 AM