10-25-13 12:47 PM
40 12
tools
    10 million downloads in twenty four hours. Now that BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) is available on iOS and Android, the walled garden is down and everyone is pouring in to pick up one of BlackBerrys signature technologies. If BlackBerry wants a signpost to a way forward thats good for the business and ensures they stay relevant over the next few years, BBM has handed it to them.
    The Successful BBM Launch Points Out A Survival Route For BlackBerry - Forbes
    10-23-13 09:53 PM
    I wonder what the count is at now

Posted from my Z10
    10-24-13 12:16 AM
    I'm actually surprised by how well received BBM has been. It's so great to read headlines where BlackBerry is doing something right in a big way. I've always been happy with my BlackBerrys, but to be able to share how great BBM is, something I've had forever, is really cool.

I was blown away when I read that BlackBerry had already updated BBM for iPhone today, to fix issues that began yesterday with the iOS7 update.

It really feels like BlackBerry has gotten sh1t together lately.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 03:49 AM
    It doesn't point at squat. There was a lot of pent up demand, a combination of messing up and delaying the first launch, and curious former BBRY users who have moved on.

10 million is decent, but fairly small compared to the overall market
    (Apple gained almost that many new iMessage users on the launch weekend for 5s/5c) and its a free app that costs BBRY bandwidth, with no clear way of monetization.

We'll only know whether BBM is a success when they show some usage statistics.

A free app downloaded because of curiosity/nostalgia doesn't lead anywhere for BBM. It's only another expense.

People have to use it regularly, if it has to help BBRY. And that'll be difficult. The messaging market is very hard to break in to. Features don't really matter, the deciding factor is scale and active users. And that's the problem for BBRY.

It has 50-80 million existing users, a small number compared to the competition, and new iOS/Android users won't use it, unless they have somebody to message, besides the few people they know who still use a Blackberry.

It'll be hard, though far from impossible.
    10-24-13 01:11 PM
    It doesn't point at squat. There was a lot of pent up demand, a combination of messing up and delaying the first launch, and curious former BBRY users who have moved on.

10 million is decent, but fairly small compared to the overall market
    (Apple gained almost that many new iMessage users on the launch weekend for 5s/5c) and its a free app that costs BBRY bandwidth, with no clear way of monetization.

We'll only know whether BBM is a success when they show some usage statistics.

A free app downloaded because of curiosity/nostalgia doesn't lead anywhere for BBM. It's only another expense.

People have to use it regularly, if it has to help BBRY. And that'll be difficult. The messaging market is very hard to break in to. Features don't really matter, the deciding factor is scale and active users. And that's the problem for BBRY.

It has 50-80 million existing users, a small number compared to the competition, and new iOS/Android users won't use it, unless they have somebody to message, besides the few people they know who still use a Blackberry.

It'll be hard, though far from impossible.
    10 million is small compared to WhatsApp which WAS FOUNDED IN 2009.

10 million is small compared to iMessage, but iMessage is built into iOS, and anyone who upgraded to iOS5 in 2011.

If you don't think 10million downloads in a day is remarkable, that's your opinion, but I disagree. For the last year or so, many media outlets have reported on the "death" of BlackBerry. 10 million downloads shows that BlackBerry has something that has breathed a little new life into it.

People rarely had problems with BBM before they moved onto Android or iOS (except for those BIS outages). What you'd frequently hear was problems with the phones themselves. BBM is a reminder that BlackBerry had something that people enjoyed using, and have now brought it for everyone (except Windows Phone).

All I'm saying is that 10 million+ downloads from a company that has been written off by many is kind of incredible. Keep in mind that people on Android or iOS probably left BlackBerry years ago.

I can't think of a single company whose products I stopped buying years ago, who could launch an app that I'd be interested in downloading.
    10-24-13 02:18 PM
    How is BlackBerry going to "monetize" cross-platform BlackBerry Messenger (BBM)? Of course downloads are in the millions because cross-platform BBM is free. Pronouncements of a survival route for BlackBerry are premature. They have a long row to hoe yet and the sun is fast setting below the horizon.
    JeepBB and Etios like this.
    10-24-13 03:23 PM
    Gloom mongers are out in force already. Didn't take them long.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 07:25 PM
    We need just spread BBM to our friends as well..

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 07:33 PM
    How is BlackBerry going to "monetize" cross-platform BlackBerry Messenger (BBM)? Of course downloads are in the millions because cross-platform BBM is free. Pronouncements of a survival route for BlackBerry are premature. They have a long row to hoe yet and the sun is fast setting below the horizon.
    How about tens of millions of dollars worth of free, highly positive marketing and PR in the past couple of days alone?

And the huge intangible value of all the goodwill and positive buzz generated to help counter the recent doom and gloom over the firms future?

My 16 year-old daughter got 25 BBM requests today. She just asked for a Z10 for Christmas, to replace her old hand-me-down 9810. Before today she was begging for an iPhone.

Call it the HALO effect, whatever, but it's real.

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll likes this.
    10-24-13 09:25 PM
    People complain about BlackBerry's lack of marketing. Well this is marketing. This is putting the BlackBerry brand in front of trends of millions of pairs of eyes.

Swyped in Tapatalk
    bluetroll and southlander like this.
    10-24-13 09:35 PM
    So basically, their route to survival is..... copy WhatsApp, Line, and WeChat.
    Etios likes this.
    10-24-13 09:41 PM
    Isn't it ironic that Mike Lazaridis was championing BBM4ALL before his departure from BBRY while his successor, Thorsten Heins, and the new CEO's gang, were dumping on it.

And now? BBM4ALL's consumer appeal in 24-48 hours has made BB10 look like a pathetic joke.

I wonder whether BBRY will once again shift gears from enterprise to consumer to prosumer back to consumer!
    10-24-13 09:53 PM
    10 million downloads of BBM is a good thing. Can't deny that.

But please explain to me how this will help turn Blackberry around. It's a free messaging application. How do they monetize it? Ads? Will that generate enough revenue to help substantially to turn the company around?

Sure, it's free advertising for Blackberry as well - but how will a free messaging app that's available on phones people want make people decide to buy a BB10 device instead?

If another company released a messaging app with 10 million downloads in the first 24 hours, would you consider it a big deal as well? Would you think that it would generate a lot of revenue to make it a very successful company?
    10-24-13 09:58 PM
    No sorry it's more like they copied bbm. Bbm wad out way before them. Go BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 10:27 PM
    November 4th is the date we find out if the Fairfax deal goes through. If it doesn't, BlackBerry has released the Z30, released 10.2, and rolled out BBM4all. They present BlackBerry as a company with a complete phone/OS portfolio. They also established BBM as a tool/platform that has potential value to a buyer.

Maybe Fairfax is only interested in BlackBerry as an enterprise-only company. Maybe that is all they are going to purchase so BlackBerry can sell off BBM to someone else. Or Maybe Fairfax will buy BlackBerry in whole and then sell BBM to help recoup money from the purchase.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on my Qued10 in CB10
    10-24-13 11:07 PM
    10 million downloads of BBM is a good thing. Can't deny that.

But please explain to me how this will help turn Blackberry around. It's a free messaging application. How do they monetize it? Ads? Will that generate enough revenue to help substantially to turn the company around?
    I thought it was obvious what they're going to do. They'll make additional features like voice and video in-app purchases. Basically, go "freemium."
    10-25-13 12:08 AM
    Gloom mongers are out in force already. Didn't take them long.
    Can't we be open to hearing differing points of view? It could be a good discussion.
    Etios, kevinnugent and richardat like this.
    10-25-13 12:23 AM
    I thought it was obvious what they're going to do. They'll make additional features like voice and video in-app purchases. Basically, go "freemium."
    What about targeted ads?

If BBM can get a sustained foothold (key word: sustained), BBM might be more likely to be spun off, I think.
    10-25-13 12:27 AM
    The android users I turned on to it seem to like it quite a lot. And NOT for messaging BlackBerry users. But rather messaging each other. They used to just use SMS. I showed them BBM and they find it superior. So far so good.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    10-25-13 12:33 AM
    Always nice to read your deep analysis of the marketplace. Much appreciated input.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 12:40 AM
    Such ignorance!!!
    10-25-13 01:48 AM
    If it doesn't, BlackBerry has released the Z30, released 10.2, and rolled out BBM4all. They present BlackBerry as a company with a complete phone/OS portfolio. They also established BBM as a tool/platform that has potential value to a buyer.
    Z30 sales numbers? Blackberry has not said anything about it so I presumed sales are really bad otherwise they would have trumpet them the the world or at least lie like they did for the Z10.
    Etios likes this.
    10-25-13 01:58 AM
    The android users I turned on to it seem to like it quite a lot. And NOT for messaging BlackBerry users. But rather messaging each other. They used to just use SMS. I showed them BBM and they find it superior. So far so good.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    if they felt there was good demand why not selling it for $0.99 like What's up and generate some cash..really hard to figure out this management team.
    10-25-13 02:01 AM
    Exactly by that logic (:roflmao what's app, line, and we chat will start manufacturing handsets to compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    10-25-13 03:22 AM
    People complain about BlackBerry's lack of marketing. Well this is marketing. This is putting the BlackBerry brand in front of trends of millions of pairs of eyes.

Swyped in Tapatalk
    Correction the bbm brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by FFR; 10-25-13 at 03:52 AM.
    10-25-13 03:25 AM
40 12