01-29-11 09:01 AM
55 123
tools
    In a coyly named and vaguely worded press release, U.S. wireless carrier Sprint announced that it would increase its postpaid rates by applying a $10 per month Premium Data add-on charge to activations of smartphones beginning Jan. 30. The company notes that smartphone users, on average, use 10 times more data than users of traditional feature phones.
    Sprint adding $10 ‘Premium Data add-on charge’ to all smartphone activations starting January 30th | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    01-18-11 08:15 AM
    ouch...is that on top of the extra charge for 4g too? that will really suck for new sprint buyers if it is
    01-18-11 08:17 AM
    ^ From what I understand, this is the extra $10 that 4G users have already been paying. This will just add that $10 to the 3G devices.
    Last edited by CASH; 01-18-11 at 08:28 AM.
    01-18-11 08:26 AM
    Well.....remember in the VZW/iPhone announcement they said their agreement was non-exclusive....

Perhaps this is an indication that the CDMA iPhone is coming to Sprint also and they want to put the new rates/plans into effect well prior to that time......
    01-18-11 08:28 AM
    4g users have a $10 charge already, the GF has to pay that for her EVO she would be grandfathered in for this "premium data" cost. But if a new customer was to sign up that would be additional $20 on top the 69.99 everything plan that sprint is so well known for
    01-18-11 08:31 AM
    Well.....remember in the VZW/iPhone announcement they said their agreement was non-exclusive....

Perhaps this is an indication that the CDMA iPhone is coming to Sprint also and they want to put the new rates/plans into effect well prior to that time......
    im guessing that is what the annoucement that with david blaine is for, along with something else as a package or something
    01-18-11 08:31 AM
    im guessing that is what the annoucement that with david blaine is for, along with something else as a package or something
    I doubt it, but David Blaine? What else could it be? If it's anything but the iPhone this will be a great disappointment for many.
    01-18-11 08:45 AM
    i agree it would be but what else could they do, make something dissappear? lol
    01-18-11 08:48 AM
    The latest rumor is that Sprint will be announcing a new LG 3D Android device.
    01-18-11 08:50 AM
    3D glasses sold separately.
    01-18-11 08:54 AM
    oh nice, like laptop or something?
    01-18-11 08:54 AM
    ouch...is that on top of the extra charge for 4g too? that will really suck for new sprint buyers if it is
    No. The $10 is now being applied to all smartphones. Not just the 4G capable ones.

4g users have a $10 charge already, the GF has to pay that for her EVO she would be grandfathered in for this "premium data" cost. But if a new customer was to sign up that would be additional $20 on top the 69.99 everything plan that sprint is so well known for
    It's not an additional $20. All smartphones will only have the $10 charge.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-18-11 09:31 AM
    Well I have been received the $10 charge on 2 lines already. And I'll receive the extra on 1 more line now. I don't like it but even with the charges, I am still $50 cheaper with unlimited everything on 4 smartphones than with AT&T on Verizon with very good coverage. As long as it keeps data unlimited and no caps, I am fine with it.
    01-18-11 09:33 AM
    ok that isnt bad then i guess
    01-18-11 09:51 AM
    this is so not good for new sprint customers.
    01-18-11 09:57 AM
    This is not good, but to be honest, it's understandable given the proliferation of data-hogging devices on the network.it's not free to maintain...however I believe they ought to cut Blackberry users a break on this, because we use WAAYY less data than Android users, not fair to just lump us in there as well, but oh well.
    01-18-11 10:06 AM
    This is not good, but to be honest, it's understandable given the proliferation of data-hogging devices on the network.it's not free to maintain...however I believe they ought to cut Blackberry users a break on this, because we use WAAYY less data than Android users, not fair to just lump us in there as well, but oh well.
    +1

Hey RIM, use this as a selling point.
    01-18-11 10:17 AM
    I would love to say I am surprised by this... but I am not. There is going to come a point where I am going to have to evaluate cost/benefit of having a smartphone if prices keep skyrocketing for data. These companies are starting to get a little out of control... imo.

I agree that bb users should be let off the hook b/c of the less data usage.
    01-18-11 10:34 AM
    i honestly expect VZW to raise prices too when LTE phones are released. kinda sucks cause i will have to sign another contract at that point too
    01-18-11 10:36 AM
    Existing Sprint smartphone customers are not affected unless they upgrade to or activate another smartphone.
    From the article. As long as I stick with this BB -facepalm 1.0- edition Curve, I'm okay. Sprint has nothing I want to upgrade to anyway right now, but in the unlikely event that they do get a Torch, I'll be forced to pay it.
    01-18-11 10:52 AM
    All this crap with increased plan/data/whatever costs.....makes me want to do this:

01-18-11 11:18 AM
    i honestly expect VZW to raise prices too when LTE phones are released. kinda sucks cause i will have to sign another contract at that point too
    Possibly, but I kinda doubt it. They just made those policy changes regarding early upgrade and amount of time to exchange. Maybe Sprint raised their prices cuz they realized their plans are dirt cheap and they're not making anything.
    01-18-11 11:27 AM
    so when we upgrade next time, we will then start being charged the $10?

*edit* read the article on bgr, so it will be any new activations and upgrades...
    Last edited by westeman; 01-18-11 at 11:33 AM.
    01-18-11 11:27 AM

*edit* read the article on bgr, so it will be any new activations and upgrades...
    Correct.

10 char
    01-18-11 11:34 AM

Correct.

10 char
    Not just upgrading, even SWITCHING smartphones will incur the new $10 premium fee.

Scenario: You have a Blackberry Bold 9650, but you also have an unactivated EVO lying around...if you were to swap the Bold with your EVO after Jan 30th, you'd pay the new fee...conversely, if you do it before Jan 30th, new fee doesn't apply.
    01-18-11 11:43 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD