06-04-12 11:31 AM
112 123 ...
tools
    Well with the pre-announcement by Heins, there is rumour and speculation that RIM might fast track the release of BBOS 10 phone (London). One analyst speculated it should be the back-to-school season. This would put it in the August/September timeframe for release:

As a result, analysts say the company must fast-track the launch of BlackBerry 10, its next-generation operating system and smartphones, ideally in time for the key back-to-school shopping season.

Kevin Restivo, a mobile analyst with IDC (International Data Corporation) advisory services, said BlackBerry must be a hit with consumers, business users and software developers alike.

It needs to be a home run for RIM to reverse its current fortunes, and without it being in market thats not an option.
    full article here:

At RIM, new signs of trouble - The Globe and Mail
    05-29-12 10:17 PM
    Fast tracking BlackBerry 10 at this point is as detrimental to RIM's health as not fast tracking it is. They might as well ride it out and deal with it rather than fast track a half baked product that will undoubtedly put them to sleep for forever if released.
    05-29-12 10:22 PM
    This would be nice. If it's ready!
    big_time2 likes this.
    05-29-12 10:23 PM
    We can only hope that a) its correct and b) its READY. No half- releases this time around.
    CDM76 and big_time2 like this.
    05-29-12 10:23 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is NOT ready, there will be no fast tracking. Understand this. Fast track thinking is one part of how they got in their current position.
    05-29-12 10:25 PM
    Well, then, I can wait.
    05-29-12 10:27 PM
    If they fast track we will end up with another Playbook fail. RIM can't afford another one of those. They need to stay the course and launch a finished product. They need to start getting existing stuff moving though.
    CDM76 and big_time2 like this.
    05-29-12 10:28 PM
    Obviously the writer of this analysis clearly does not remember the Storm.
    RIM cannot afford to travel that road again.
    05-29-12 10:31 PM
    Well if RIM wants November release, the carriers must have the device for testing by end of June or Mid-July for 4 to 5 months of testing?

The OS & HW has to be ready in 6 weeks, no?

BlackBerry 10 is NOT ready, there will be no fast tracking. Understand this. Fast track thinking is one part of how they got in their current position.
    05-29-12 10:31 PM
    They should focus on selling more bb7 devices. Drop the prices, have big sales.. Do what they did with Playbook.
    CDM76, bitek and big_time2 like this.
    05-29-12 10:33 PM
    Well if RIM wants November release, the carriers must have the device for testing by end of June or Mid-July for 4 to 5 months of testing?

The OS & HW has to be ready in 6 weeks, no?
    Carriers have already been approached and been shown numerous devices. Key partners are already aligned and have been for a while. Much to the dismay of the asinine larger media out there, plenty of carriers still have faith in RIM and want their products in their line-ups. Very little "testing" really needs to happen on network at this point because RIM has been doing the radio stacks and networking independently for years now.
    05-29-12 10:47 PM
    Fast tracking BlackBerry 10 at this point is as detrimental to RIM's health as not fast tracking it is. They might as well ride it out and deal with it rather than fast track a half baked product that will undoubtedly put them to sleep for forever if released.
    Thorsten made a VERY good move NOT announcing they plan to release ahead of the previous Co-CEO's plan

With the Laser Focus that they keep claiming, And the enthusiasm seen by people making the tools for BB10, I would not be surprise to see RIM announce and Launch BB10 before the speculated October launch date,

but what is nice for RIM is that they are being expected to fail, so IF RIM can actually pull it off and get BB10 released on a nice piece of hardware with a relatively bug free OS, and some content partners, in October it will be seen as a good sign for RIM, but a BETTER sign for Thorstens leadership will be if they can achieve it in August.
    05-29-12 11:14 PM
    RIM can/needs to take its time. I am so ready for a brand new bb experience and I can't wait for BB10 from just what they've shown us. Let people say what they will but I and many others have our money ready for when BB10 drops. Can't wait to see some of the hidden gems they might have in store
    05-29-12 11:18 PM
    It's unfortunate that the media is throwing RIM down as if it's bankrupt already. While there are a lot of changes going on, the dev's working on BB10 clearly believes in BB10. Hopefully RIM can ride through this storm (it should be okay with the large cash reserve and continued revenue generation off legacy OS7).
    05-29-12 11:20 PM
    Thorsten made a VERY good move NOT announcing they plan to release ahead of the previous Co-CEO's plan

With the Laser Focus that they keep claiming, And the enthusiasm seen by people making the tools for BB10, I would not be surprise to see RIM announce and Launch BB10 before the speculated October launch date,

but what is nice for RIM is that they are being expected to fail, so IF RIM can actually pull it off and get BB10 released on a nice piece of hardware with a relatively bug free OS, and some content partners, in October it will be seen as a good sign for RIM, but a BETTER sign for Thorstens leadership will be if they can achieve it in August.
    Exactly. As of right now, expectations are very low. Despite Heins' confidence, the media and analysts believe that, at best, BB10 will be as good or slightly less appealing than current offerings on the market. But from seeing RIM's approach, especially Heins and Saunders, I believe that what RIM has in BB10 is quite good and will exceed the rather low expectations already placed on them. We already knew that the road to BB10 would be a tough one, and we're now getting into the heat of it. However, I think waiting for BB10 to be finished is the best call, but I'm sure that does not rule out a possibility of an early release, if possible.
    Sucroid likes this.
    05-30-12 12:18 AM
    If the 9900 or 9810 was dropped below $200 off contract I would buy my full sales staff one each.

I'd then wait a quarter to see how BB10 went and renew our contracts with it.
    dfb8085 likes this.
    05-30-12 12:25 AM
    Think. Plan. Execute. Deliver on time.
    What T. Heins is achieving is a strategic move, not a desperate gesticulation.
    Do not change plans : execute.

Deliver BB10 OS and device(s) on time and very polished.

In the meantime, devs will hold a more and more "close to" OS10 devices and OS releases; that will be far enough if RIM wants BB10 leaks and buzz stimulation.
    Early release is a fail.
    05-30-12 02:56 AM
    Fast-tracking to back-to-school season is not possible. Only Apple and Microsoft can push out half-baked products and make them sell like hotcakes, not RIM. To reiterate, Mr. Heins said at the BBWorld keynote that they want to get this right. And we devs haven't seen the real BB10 OS yet. So there is no way BB10 can be fast-tracked without committing suicide.

If you look at everything that is going on at RIM, you will see that BB10 won't come out before the BB10 Jam World Tour concludes. That's well into August. My guess is that the phone will be announced at BB Jam Americas at the end of September and shipping end of October. Sounds like a long time away. Maybe to day traders but not to the developers at RIM and outside.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-30-12 03:13 AM
    Fast-tracking to back-to-school season is not possible. Only Apple and Microsoft can push out half-baked products and make them sell like hotcakes, not RIM.
    Probably not Microsoft... Kin anyone?
    05-30-12 03:29 AM
    It's unfortunate that the media is throwing RIM down as if it's bankrupt already. While there are a lot of changes going on, the dev's working on BB10 clearly believes in BB10. Hopefully RIM can ride through this storm (it should be okay with the large cash reserve and continued revenue generation off legacy OS7).
    You cannot blame the media for not believing the boy who cried wolf. The reality is that RIM has been making huge promises for the past year or two, and has consistently failed to live up to them.

Now, it is clear to me that Heins has changed all that (the release of OS2.0 and other statements he has made has indicated this strongly). However, as far as most people are considered, he is still from the same team that made all those unfulfilled promises in the beginning, and they are right to not trust RIM's words just yet.
    05-30-12 04:01 AM
    Carriers have already been approached and been shown numerous devices. Key partners are already aligned and have been for a while. Much to the dismay of the asinine larger media out there, plenty of carriers still have faith in RIM and want their products in their line-ups. Very little "testing" really needs to happen on network at this point because RIM has been doing the radio stacks and networking independently for years now.
    Will RIM be able to move to a more Apple like approach then. With carriers not testing devices for months before the public get them. There was very little in Iphone leaks before it was released. But the Bold 9900 and others were seen and demoed on youtube for months before release, because all these carriers had them and showed them off.
    05-30-12 04:24 AM
    Just yesterday, RIM said BB10 will come put in the latter part of 2012. Where does this crazy speculation come from?
    05-30-12 05:09 AM
    Playing the odds here, when BB10 is released it will probably be "not fully baked" with some missing features, a dearth of apps and with a decent amount of bugs.

BB10 needs to be damn-near perfect if they have any chance of turning it around, but even with all the time they've had and with still 6 months left - I don't think RIM will it anywhere near perfect. We've seen this from RIM before - they just cant get their sh*t together and on time - so some things will be sacrificed.
    Last edited by berklon; 05-30-12 at 09:57 AM.
    05-30-12 05:25 AM
    Yep no half baked, will be tolerated, a death sentence.

@berklon how long has it taken android to be not half baked and fairly bug free? Are they they even there yet on the bug free side? They are on their i of yummies now.
    sleepngbear and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-30-12 05:43 AM
    Yep no half baked, will be tolerated, a death sentence.

@berklon how long has it taken android to be not half baked and fairly bug free? Are they they even there yet on the bug free side? They are on their i of yummies now.
    Indeed, ICS is the first Android version that I found acceptable. And what is the percentage of Android phones running ICS? 5%?
    05-30-12 06:06 AM
112 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD