06-19-14 03:49 PM
92 ... 234
tools
    1. Earlier this month, at Re/Code, Chen refuses to comment on whether BlackBerry will develop an Android phone.

2. Today N4BB posts that the entire app group is getting cut - 2000 people.

Costs go down, apps go up, and they may even sell a bunch of Android devices.

This would be a huge move and in my opinion is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Posted via CB10
    I'm certain BlackBerry has been testing a custom OS on Android since long before Chen. It would have been required to be prepared for the stock holders meeting discussing the idea of going Android at the very start if BB10. I think they are holding onto it as a Plan B.

Posted via CB from my LE
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-15-14 01:16 AM
    I can't imagine BBRY would make any more money selling Android phones than they would selling BB10 phones, largely because no Android OEM other than Samsung is publicly known to be making much. I am not including the Chinese OEMs who appear very successful but whose revenues are not known.
    Plus, why would people want to buy a BlackBerry Android phone? There are so many other Android alternatives all of which have been in the game longer and have a better reputation.

Even if BBRY meekly ditched the runtime and signed the OHA in blood, what do they bring to the table that makes them attractive? Security? For BES sure, but how tightly would that work with Android? And just how big would that market be? Can BB10 be made into a skin? Without bloat? So many questions, none pointing to anything customer-grabbing.
    I don't see BlackBerry having much to offer.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    LuvULongTime and Bluenoser63 like this.
    06-15-14 07:14 AM
    Exactly.

What's BlackBerry 's competitive edge if they choose to make Android phones?

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    For this question, I would answer nothing. There is no competitive edge for an Android OS BlackBerry device. It will just be another Android phone in a market saturated with Android phones.

Perhaps BlackBerry will just fold faster With an Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 and LuvULongTime like this.
    06-17-14 11:47 AM
    BlackBerry is already a android phone in many ways, it has android run times that are being updated all the time I have the amazon app store loaded on my phone right now.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 12:25 PM
    For this question, I would answer nothing. There is no competitive edge for an Android OS BlackBerry device. It will just be another Android phone in a market saturated with Android phones.

Perhaps BlackBerry will just fold faster With an Android phone.
    BlackBerry already had a relationship with over 150 carriers worldwide. That's a competitive advantage right there.
    06-17-14 02:45 PM
    Plus, why would people want to buy a BlackBerry Android phone? There are so many other Android alternatives all of which have been in the game longer and have a better reputation.

I don't see BlackBerry having much to offer.

No. There are no android qwerty phones, there was 1 once. And why would they make an android phone? Because what they're doing isn't working, it's like fishing in a small pond vs the ocean, you'll catch tiny fish in a pond and great whites in the ocean, if you can catch it.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 02:49 PM
    I'd like to see them succeed with BB10 too. If they start building Android devices then there is nothing to differentiate them from any other Android manufacturer such as Samsung or HTC.

And there is nothing wrong with htc they make great phones. Just lost a lot of market share. You have to be innovative. I think people would be intrigued by a BlackBerry android, I know I would be

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 02:50 PM
    And there is nothing wrong with htc they make great phones. Just lost a lot of market share. You have to be innovative. I think people would be intrigued by a BlackBerry android, I know I would be

Posted via CB10
    I don't think that anyone would. They'd lose most of the current BlackBerry faithful, myself included. Furthermore people who already aren't buying BlackBerry likely wouldn't suddenly switch from Samsung or HTC, and why would they? What would BlackBerry offer in an Android device that would differentiate them from the competition and entice people to switch?

06-17-14 08:49 PM
    I don't think that anyone would. They'd lose most of the current BlackBerry faithful, myself included. Furthermore people who already aren't buying BlackBerry likely wouldn't suddenly switch from Samsung or HTC, and why would they? What would BlackBerry offer in an Android device that would differentiate them from the competition and entice people to switch?

If I knew I wouldn't be talking to you lol all I know is android is making money and BB10 isn't. With the whole security thing BlackBerry has an opportunity to come out with a few different ideas to capture that. Even if it's BS a BlackBerry android is my dream phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 09:48 PM

I love BB10 and I want it to succeed as much as anyone here, but I do think BB could make an enticing Android phone. The key would be for BB to incorporate as many great BB10 things as possible into Android. If BB could find a way to bring "the hub" and the BB virtual keyboard that would be a great start. I'd be interested.
    06-17-14 10:17 PM
    I love BB10 and I want it to succeed as much as anyone here, but I do think BB could make an enticing Android phone. The key would be for BB to incorporate as many great BB10 things as possible into Android. If BB could find a way to bring "the hub" and the BB virtual keyboard that would be a great start. I'd be interested.
    Perhaps. I guess I have a hard time picturing it. Maybe if this device is ever released and it included those things I would think about it.

06-18-14 01:29 PM
    Perhaps. I guess I have a hard time picturing it. Maybe if this device is ever released and it included those things I would think about it.

If they can implement the BB10 UI in Android, including Peek/Hub, they'd have something to differentiate themselves. An interesting question is whether they'd want or be able to lock down certain things, such as the keyboard and launcher itself, so users couldn't install others.

It's a long shot, and if the forthcoming BB10 devices, with Amazon app store preloaded, are failures, maybe BlackBerry won't have enough juice left even to try this Android venture.
    06-18-14 02:05 PM
    If you can get your Android apps easily and working properly on your BlackBerry QNX OS why would you bother going for an Android OS.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 03:45 PM
    I'm all for it

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 10:20 PM
    If you can get your Android apps easily and working properly on your BlackBerry QNX OS why would you bother going for an Android OS.

Posted via CB10
    Why would I buy a BlackBerry to run Droid apps?? They run faster and all options work on a Droid phone.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    06-19-14 10:50 AM
    Like Nokia.....

@dazlr
    06-19-14 11:04 AM
    Why would I buy a BlackBerry to run Droid apps?? !
    Because you value the productivity and multitasking ability of the OS (amongst many other things) and have no issues with running those Android apps on your BlackBerry phone. If Android can run on BB as well as it runs on Android, then what is the issue? I agree native is ideal, but smooth running Android apps are not a bad second option as a means to rebuild market share.
    DS1331 likes this.
    06-19-14 03:49 PM
92 ... 234