06-19-14 04:49 PM
92 1234
tools
    Maybe there are fewer lawyers in Indonesia?
    As Troy said, what might fly in emerging markets is unlikely to fly in Western markets where there are many many lawyers.
    Notable that the tagline "Android Ready" isn't used in marketing by BB in the US...
    I think Google is a global company.
    06-13-14 06:09 AM
    I for one hope this does'nt happen. Both OS7 and BB10 are unique, trustworthy, and thoroughly Blackberry.....which is what we are all doing here, cos we love Blackberry. And all because other makes have more apps. !!! I didn't choose a Blackberry to get an android device....I chose it because it wasn't android.

This is like buying a bungalow.....being envious of people with stairs.....and building another storey on it. Ridiculous.
    06-13-14 06:09 AM
    The only chance I can see this working is if they launch a device that can dual boot or at least have two launchers. With two separated OSes and yet with sharing capabilities between them. But that won't happen because Google doesn't allow it.

But maybe they could have the stock Android, and they could leave "a secret way" for users to flash zips ;-)

Posted via CB10
    06-13-14 06:25 AM
    Yes, Google is a global company... and when BB starts to promote "Android Ready" and Snap globally... and when the dust has settled on whether the Z3 is a success.. We'll get to see what Google will do about it.
    06-13-14 06:30 AM
    The OP's speculation is that BlackBerry will try bringing an Android phone to market. That, to my mind, implies an actual Android phone, not a BB10 phone with an Android runtime.

As a speculation, I think it's plausible, for precisely the reasons given by the OP. Saying that it's plausible doesn't mean that I want one of these phones. I'd really have to know a lot more before deciding about that. As has been pointed out in this and other threads, the chances of BB10 getting Google Play access are slim to none, and Slim has just left the building. That also makes the Android conjecture a bit more likely.

It's a fact that BB10 has not been selling well. Granted, it's a young OS, as is WP, but unlike Microsoft, BlackBerry doesn't have the money to play the long waiting game.

It's also a fact that the developers of thousands and thousands of Android apps that could run right now, without significant (or any) modification, on BB10 have shown little interest in bringing them to BB World, despite BlackBerry's efforts to interest them.

The current ability to run some, but not all, Android apk files is messy, inconsistent, and not a marketable solution to BB10's app woes. If partnership with, say, Amazon were an option, I think we would have seen it already. As it is, we don't even have Amazon content apps in BB World, apart from a version of Kindle that hasn't, I believe, been updated since BB10 launch--and no Q10 version (although Kindle works fine on the Q10).

BES and BBM are cross-platform, and BlackBerry is working hard to improve them. They are fully committed to providing communication and MDM solutions to Android, iOS, and eventually WP. At the moment, this looks like their only real revenue stream, with BBM yet to be monetized.

So, what would a BlackBerry Android handset bring to the table? Obviously, it would be primarily a consumer device, with access to Google Play and the entire Android app ecosystem, including the many business-oriented productivity apps already there. On the assumption that the BB10 user experience could be duplicated with a suitably designed Android skin, they could offer that. Those of us who enjoy the BB10 UI frequently lament that if only more people tried it, it would be a success. This would be a way to get more people to try it.

I don't know if BlackBerry could produce a more secure version of Android. For the consumer market, it clearly doesn't matter, since security concerns aren't keeping many people away from Android anyway. Presumably, BlackBerry knows how to keep BBM and BES services secure. On a BlackBerry Android phone, they would be baked in and not removable without root.

They could use Foxconn to make the devices cheaply, since Foxconn already has plenty of experience building Android devices.

Would it sell? I don't know. It might. People are always looking for something different. The BB10 skin might have some appeal to people, if they can enjoy it without giving up their Android apps. If BlackBerry could figure out a way to make their version of Android unrootable, so much the better, but I don't think that's necessary for the consumer market. And they could continue to produce small numbers of secure BB10 devices at premium prices for those who really need them and are willing to pay those prices.

It seems like it could be a way for BlackBerry to stay in the handset business, if the coming Q30 and Q20 don't get any traction. If they do get traction, all bets are off.
    06-13-14 08:34 AM
    Problem is ANYONE can make an Android Phone....

Maybe a custom and secure Android would have a place.... if you had the time to create it.

Now maybe there has been a team in place working on this quietly for 6 month (Chen Came), maybe for 12 months (BB10 flopped), or longer (Plan B).....

But with their higher hardware production cost and then paying for Android..... it won't be a consumer product.
    06-13-14 09:14 AM
    Problem is ANYONE can make an Android Phone....

Maybe a custom and secure Android would have a place.... if you had the time to create it.

Now maybe there has been a team in place working on this quietly for 6 month (Chen Came), maybe for 12 months (BB10 flopped), or longer (Plan B).....

But with their higher hardware production cost and then paying for Android..... it won't be a consumer product.
    Not only time to make such a device, but also cost. I can't imagine that it would be cheap for BlackBerry to start from the ground making such a device.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    anon1727506 likes this.
    06-13-14 11:35 AM
    Not only time to make such a device, but also cost. I can't imagine that it would be cheap for BlackBerry to start from the ground making such a device.

Outsource it to Foxconn; they have a headstart.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    06-13-14 02:23 PM
    Outsource it to Foxconn; they have a headstart.

Hardware needs to be designed to BlackBerry specs first.

06-13-14 05:32 PM
    Hardware needs to be designed to BlackBerry specs first.

That's true, but Foxconn has the infrastructure to pivot quickly and do just that: design to new specs. It's what they do.

Or so I believe. I'd rather see BlackBerry succeed with BB10, personally, but I have to admit they seem to be spinning their wheels. If, once the Q20 and Q30 are launched, there's still no BB10 traction, that'll be no less than seven unprofitable BB10 devices launched in two years--six if you don't count the limited launch of the Z3.

At that point, if they stay in the handset business at all, no one could blame them for trying something different. A BlackBerry Android would be different, anyway.

I still think the Windermere might surprise us all.

06-13-14 06:20 PM
    That's true, but Foxconn has the infrastructure to pivot quickly and do just that: design to new specs. It's what they do.

Or so I believe. I'd rather see BlackBerry succeed with BB10, personally, but I have to admit they seem to be spinning their wheels. If, once the Q20 and Q30 are launched, there's still no BB10 traction, that'll be no less than seven unprofitable BB10 devices launched in two years--six if you don't count the limited launch of the Z3.

At that point, if they stay in the handset business at all, no one could blame them for trying something different. A BlackBerry Android would be different, anyway.

I still think the Windermere might surprise us all.

I'd like to see them succeed with BB10 too. If they start building Android devices then there is nothing to differentiate them from any other Android manufacturer such as Samsung or HTC.

06-13-14 07:52 PM
    I'd like to see them succeed with BB10 too. If they start building Android devices then there is nothing to differentiate them from any other Android manufacturer such as Samsung or HTC.
    If they build it with beefed up security, it stand out in the enterprise space.

For consumer, they would have to offer a super inexpensive model priced at $100 outright.
    06-13-14 08:29 PM

For consumer, they would have to offer a super inexpensive model priced at $100 outright.
    If they could build a secure Android that would definitely be something worth considering. I have an Android tablet and I can't say that I really like the OS, though. It's not terrible for a tablet, but for a phone I would like having a hub etc. Much easier for quick access.

Posted using my Asus Transformer TF700T via the CrackBerry App
    06-13-14 08:56 PM
    Carrier presence, the leading MDM, patents.
    You mean vanishing carrier presence, a behind-the-curve MDM product that isn't making enough money because they keep having free CAL give aways, and patents nobody wanted when BlackBerry was for sale?

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3175 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.2
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-13-14 08:58 PM
    You mean vanishing carrier presence, a behind-the-curve MDM product that isn't making enough money because they keep having free CAL give aways, and patents nobody wanted when BlackBerry was for sale?

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3175 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.2
    I think the patents are something that might be worth something. I agree with you on the other two points, regarding carrier presence and MDM.

Posted using my Asus Transformer TF700T via the CrackBerry App
    06-13-14 09:01 PM
    Keyboard and a distinctive UI. It's not much, but then again they don't have much competitive edge with BB10 now.

Keyboard is just an app, no need to build a phone for it. UI is like HTC sense or that extra layer from Samsung, people hate that kind of stuff.

BB10 is the edge BlackBerry has right now. Not the keyboard or UI or security, because BlackBerry had those for long time now. If BB10 is not enough, nothing from BlackBerry is enough.

Giving up on BB10 also means giving up BlackBerry 's edge in enterprise market and auto industry. Otherwise BlackBerry 's resource will have to be divided again to invested in two areas.

Now I am not saying BlackBerry will make it by staying with BB10 strategy, I am just saying moving away from this strategy BlackBerry will die sooner

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    m1kr0, Loc22 and Vorkosigan like this.
    06-13-14 09:49 PM
    If that would be true. Take my money now please

Posted via CB10
    06-13-14 09:49 PM
    Well, at least they'd win Chris back! XD

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-14-14 02:25 AM
    I call hogwash. Purely speculation. I'm not sure who the heck wrote it or came up with it either, but it never will happen. We have QNX!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-14-14 03:46 AM
    Keyboard is just an app, no need to build a phone for it. UI is like HTC sense or that extra layer from Samsung, people hate that kind of stuff.

BB10 is the edge BlackBerry has right now. Not the keyboard or UI or security, because BlackBerry had those for long time now. If BB10 is not enough, nothing from BlackBerry is enough.

Giving up on BB10 also means giving up BlackBerry 's edge in enterprise market and auto industry. Otherwise BlackBerry 's resource will have to be divided again to invested in two areas.

Now I am not saying BlackBerry will make it by staying with BB10 strategy, I am just saying moving away from this strategy BlackBerry will die sooner

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    Agree. If BlackBerry feels suicidal, they should bring out a pure Android phone. It will be the last nail in the coffin. Good or bad, BB10 is their last stand in the consumer handset business. If this fails, another Android handset in a sea of Androids will do nothing for the company - to the contrary, it will be detrimental. As has been said before, then it becomes time for BB to sell services only.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    06-14-14 04:11 AM

An enterprise concerned about security enough for to want a BlackBerry version of Android isn't likely going to allow or want Play Store access and want to push apps themselves. What would Android provide in that scenario over BB10 when true security is implemented on the device with the Android player? BlackBerry would have to run every OS update, and every device that it runs on,through their stack of certification tests which is a costly endeavor. Would you be happy with maybe one OS update per device per year and likely maybe only one update period for a device because they won't want to re certify older devices like they did with BBOS?

They would be much better served at this point partnering with someone for an Android App Store access that is actually accessed via the BlackBerry World App and continue with the BB10. Or even better see if they can partner with Apple for IOS emulator and iTunes access because Apple is still king of apps in Quality and Quantity, and give them another front against Android domination. Securing Android isn't easy or cost effective otherwise it would have been done many times over by OEM'S wanting into the enterprise market.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    m1kr0 likes this.
    06-14-14 06:46 AM
    If I was pessimistic, I'd say It's somewhat pathetic that Blackberry has to resort to promoting a forked version of Android to sell phones. There is no reason whatsoever to continue with BB10. Go full Android with a huge marketing wave, and if the core BB loyalists complain, who cares? BB has nothing to lose at this point. This whole bull of "Android ready" is stupid. Business is business, and BB10 has lost, and at this point core users no longer matter if the company is sinking.

Of course I am still optimistic and hoping that BB10 can make it, but the flesh is weak...
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-14-14 08:57 PM
    The android ship sailed long ago. It's either make BlackBerry 10 profitable or get out of the handset business. Google play is not coming nor is an android phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 09:07 PM
    The android ship sailed long ago. It's either make BlackBerry 10 profitable or get out of the handset business. Google play is not coming nor is an android phone
    How can you be so certain?
    06-15-14 01:00 AM
    How can you be so certain?
    I can't imagine BBRY would make any more money selling Android phones than they would selling BB10 phones, largely because no Android OEM other than Samsung is publicly known to be making much. I am not including the Chinese OEMs who appear very successful but whose revenues are not known. Even if BBRY meekly ditched the runtime and signed the OHA in blood, what do they bring to the table that makes them attractive? Security? For BES sure, but how tightly would that work with Android? And just how big would that market be? Can BB10 be made into a skin? Without bloat? So many questions, none pointing to anything customer-grabbing.

Management is also trying to keep BBRY the unique company it is. The day BBs run full Android is the day BBRY becomes like Nokia's mobile division.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    06-15-14 01:42 AM
92 1234