We had a very, very successful recipe of what BlackBerry was all about. There were four main pillars: battery life; typing; security; and compression. Then there was a shift with LTE. With LTE it was important actually not to save network resources, it was important to load the networks, to sell data plans and sell data volume. We didn't miss on innovation. I think we missed on understanding, specifically in the U.S., that this trend was shifting," Heins said.
    RIM is a company that obviously prides itself on creating a solid product that creates value for its customers, not just for the service providers.

This is pure speculation, but I had a thought about possible features that RIM is likely working on for BB10.

Wifi bridge isn't just about connecting you phone to your tablet for faster storage access. Its about establishing direct, trusted and secure networks between QNX-based devices.

It's a real killer feature for industry, but whats the consumer angle?

If they tie this to BBM, they can use this tech to create adhoc local networks between phones, not just between phones and tablets.

Two uses of this technology I'd like to see and they're probably already working on:

Wifi walkie-talkie - Being able to send and receive messages in real time between paired phones within wifi range directly, without need of a router or cellular plan. Yes, it might as well be a phone call, but it doesn't need to use a data plan if the person you're communicating with is within wireless range of you or a trusted wifi access point. (The office, school, the mall, around the house, on a hike in the woods, etc.)

Wifi Video Chat - Just like the wifi walkie-talkie, but with video chat instead. Again, with BBM and local wifi bridge, no need to load the networks.

Locational Awareness - With a local adhoc wifi network between multiple devices, as long as each user chooses the share information freely, the networks can become quite extended. Locational awareness becomes a factor. A shopper could enter a mall at one entrance, but through either friends with paired devices (also securely sharing the proximity information of those on the same list within range) or a trusted wifi access point they could know a friend entered the mall at the other entrance and message them their current location.

These are just a few uses I thought might be in the works and thought I'd share.

Anyone else think of others?
    dacoberry likes this.
    07-10-12 08:48 PM
    Wi fi walkie talkie.... hmmm kinda reminds me of the old push to talk blackberries- kinda miss that

bleep bleep

was fun to interrupt your friends with whatever they happened to be doing....without having to call.
    07-10-12 08:57 PM
    What I think would be good would be better integration with QNX powered devices but also non-QNX devices such as Windows or Mac for example. Supposing we take the idea of Wifi Bridge and extend it beyond just the BB10 device and PlayBook and onto BlackBerry Desktop Manager, how much more efficient could our lives be?

They could make it part of the 'Share UI' where you just send it to the computer. If they already have Wifi file sharing then it should be possible. The flow could be something like opening an attachment on your way to work and having a look at it, tapping the NFC tag when you reach the office to turn on wifi and pair to your workstation then you just simply share the attachment with you computer so you can continue reading/working on it instead of having to re-open the file from its source again.
    Simply building a nicer and more direct UI around the wifi file sharing feature would accomplish this somewhat already.
    07-11-12 03:19 AM
    I remember reading about this ... a company RIM acquired for antennas patent ... potentially allows one-to-one calls without using the cellular network but with devices "relaying" each others ... Could be nice ... very nice.
    07-11-12 03:46 AM
    I remember reading about this ... a company RIM acquired for antennas patent ... potentially allows one-to-one calls without using the cellular network but with devices "relaying" each others ... Could be nice ... very nice.
    how much would the carriers hate that?
    07-11-12 06:10 AM
    how much would the carriers hate that?
    They won't as it would be a "second choice" option; i.e : "if you can, you use".
    But no one would seriously consider it is a 100% valid alternative to cellular radio.
    (Therefore, relays would be mandatory and carriers will be in the process = $$)

At the opposite, it may serve enterprise users within the same building, saving both enterprise wifi bandwidth and/or carrier bandwidth ... witch is precisely what both are desperately searching for.
    07-11-12 09:45 AM
    They won't as it would be a "second choice" option; i.e : "if you can, you use".
    But no one would seriously consider it is a 100% valid alternative to cellular radio.
    (Therefore, relays would be mandatory and carriers will be in the process = $$)

At the opposite, it may serve enterprise users within the same building, saving both enterprise wifi bandwidth and/or carrier bandwidth ... witch is precisely what both are desperately searching for.
    I could see a number of large companies and manufacturing plants liking the idea of having phones with only interior network access... no carrier access (or fees) at all.
    07-11-12 10:54 AM
    I could see a number of large companies and manufacturing plants liking the idea of having phones with only interior network access... no carrier access (or fees) at all.
    This is not the trend (in a BYOD perspective), but having the capability to do so is certainly something very attractive. Add a (serious) pinch of security and we may have a winner here.
    07-11-12 10:58 AM
    I always like it when you post OP. I didn't really get what you meant after several posts about wifi-bridge but after one of the more recent ones I'm starting to get it. I'm sure there are things that have been done in some shape or form on other platforms but I'm looking forward to what RIM brings. Some ideas of what we could see are
    - remote control of devices around out home
    - using our phones as game console and remote game controller in one
    - To expand on an idea of yours with location awareness, they could have markers in a mall that directs you to a product you want to buy
    - ordering at restaurants

That one awesome TAT demo showed amazing sharing capabilities of the platform.

Things could evolve to were our screens are just windows to personal main platform device. It was mentioned RIM was hiring iOS developpers and not much was mentioned after that. I was thinking maybe they were creating a bridge app for iOS that could work similarly to the BB bridge app. RIM has some brilliant people working for them (despite the people who think the only intelligent minds work for apple or google) and I'm sure they have some great ideas, especially considering they actually understand the technology compared to my minimal understanding.
    07-13-12 12:56 AM
    What ever happened with ATT and the PB bridge. Did they ever allow it. I have Verizon so didn't keep track, but I thought at the beginning ATT was blocking the bridge? Did they work out an official deal on this?
    07-13-12 07:44 AM
    All great ideas. If half of these actually make it onto BB10, I don't think anyone would not be impressed. In particular, I like the mall-locator idea. However, its basically an automated FourSquare. If I show up to a bar, restaurant, concert, mall, etc and check in on FourSquare, it sends me and any of my friends at that venue a message that friends are close by.
    07-13-12 07:55 AM
    What ever happened with ATT and the PB bridge. Did they ever allow it. I have Verizon so didn't keep track, but I thought at the beginning ATT was blocking the bridge? Did they work out an official deal on this?
    AT&T decided they would charge for Bridge browsing
    07-13-12 08:32 AM
    AT&T decided they would charge for Bridge browsing
    Thanks. If Verizon had done the same, I would have flipped out. The bridge is my most favorite PB feature and one of the main reasons I bought it. ATT $uck$
    07-13-12 11:52 AM
    In my opinion, the plan is to enable a range of third party devices to use QNX (or stripped down versions of the platform), OR some kind of standard they're going to push (less likely) to allow interoperability of all kinds of devices. Phones, tablets, computers, audio/video systems, TVs, cars, lighting/heating systems, appliances, etc.

This is what they mean when they say "this is the platform that will power the next 10 years of devices, that will allow people to interact with the world around them in ways they never thought possible," etc..

My 2 cents, anyway. All cloud, all interactive, all the time. Think about it, use NFC to touch two devices together (two phones, or a tablet to a stereo, or a phone to your car's console) and they're now paired, over either bluetooth or wifi (automatic handoff when available). Easy to connect, instant, and they talk.
    07-13-12 02:56 PM
    Hey, just found this thread. I've actually written a Wifi Walkie Talkie App for BlackBerry 10, it's up in BlackBerry World, just search for it. Will make an announcement in the App Announcement forum later. Just posted one for the free Wifi Chat here: http://forums.crackberry.com/app-ann...i-chat-867138/
    10-28-13 07:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD