01-06-15 03:49 PM
98 1234
tools
    I don't know the specifics but it seems that even Sony was concerned about mobile with this hack. Issuing BlackBerry devices - old or not - speaks to a concern about mobility and device management.

Posted via CB10
    I got the impression from the articles I have read that they started using their BlackBerrys because of server problems caused by the hack - and the Blackberrys are run through a different server. In other words, their other phones just aren't working right now due to server issues. I don't think it is that Sony believes Blackberrys are more secure and switched for that reason. I think most of their systems are just not working properly. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

What I am fairly confident of based on all the reporting so far is that the breach that caused all the problems was not through mobile devices and had nothing to do with MDM. If everyone at Sony had been using feature phones and never used mobile devices for any data, this breach would have still occurred. There is no indication that Sony's current MDM solution failed. This incident does not in any way indicate that Sony's current MDM solution or device selection is inadequate. I don't think it helps or hurts Blackberry.
    12-31-14 12:04 PM
    They also had to go back to using their fax machines but that doesn't mean they are going to go back to all fax communications in the future. Nor would it be a great way to market fax machines.
    I kinda disagree. I think it would a pretty good way to market a fax machine. More secure than email or text. What's wrong with that.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 12:15 PM
    I kinda disagree. I think it would a pretty good way to market a fax machine. More secure than email or text. What's wrong with that.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, there are certain transactions that still do not accept email without some lengthy "consent" process, where fax is the preferred medium.

Granted it's probably secure because non of today's youngin' even know how to send a fax.

Posted via CB10
    alan510 and gfondeur like this.
    12-31-14 12:17 PM
    The breach was not in mobility. It is being considered an inside job. How is that the fault of the MDM provider?
    So fact that emails were being stolen practical the same day there sent is not a mobility issue. Really? And then your explanation for why mobile communications at Sony has collapsed and they move moved back to there old BlackBerries is what? Was it Nostalgia day at Sony?You do know that Sony is actually running meetings in their parking lot at the moment!!!!! Time to wake up.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and La Emperor like this.
    12-31-14 12:19 PM
    Oh wow

Quote: "The cyberattack on Sony was so bad, employees there were forced to resort to an ancient technology -- the BlackBerry."

They called BlackBerry an ancient technology. I'm surprised there are still lots of people watching CNN news.

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    They BlackBerrys devices Sony had left and the BES they were using was ancient. They changed away from BB long before BB10 came out.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    12-31-14 01:13 PM
    Yeah we'll wait and see how CNN staff feel about using "ancient technology" soon enough.

Ha ha ha ha..... hey CNN, better dust off those ancient BlackBerry's, because s#$* might get real for you.

Karma?

CB10'n it....via da Z30

12-31-14 01:22 PM
    They BlackBerrys devices Sony had left and the BES they were using was ancient. They changed away from BB long before BB10 came out.
    I wonder if the IT guy that thought it was a good idea to leave BlackBerry still has his job.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-31-14 01:28 PM
    Well I guess you should blame it on the CEO and executives also instead of the IT guys for not taking security seriously. Those guys are the ones who make all the decisions after all.

I would never buy anything Sony again.

I wonder if the IT guy that thought it was a good idea to leave BlackBerry still has his job.

Posted via CB10

12-31-14 01:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    They had to do something with all those Sony phones nobody was buying.
    12-31-14 01:35 PM
    I got the impression from the articles I have read that they started using their BlackBerrys because of server problems caused by the hack - and the Blackberrys are run through a different server. In other words, their other phones just aren't working right now due to server issues. I don't think it is that Sony believes Blackberrys are more secure and switched for that reason. I think most of their systems are just not working properly. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

What I am fairly confident of based on all the reporting so far is that the breach that caused all the problems was not through mobile devices and had nothing to do with MDM. If everyone at Sony had been using feature phones and never used mobile devices for any data, this breach would have still occurred. There is no indication that Sony's current MDM solution failed. This incident does not in any way indicate that Sony's current MDM solution or device selection is inadequate. I don't think it helps or hurts Blackberry.
    Stop and let folks have their fun. Folks need it.

Logic and facts will probably not go very far.

LOL.
    12-31-14 01:38 PM
    Stop and let folks have their fun. Folks need it.

Logic and facts will probably not go very far.

LOL.
    Should be clear to most that the reason they had to go back to their old handsets and thus likely BES5 was to piggyback off BlackBerry's NOC (having to use the handsets is secondary news in all reality). Perhaps had they never left BlackBerry in the first place they would not have been as crippled as they were. Just a thought. I suspect there are folks at Sony looking at BES12 and seeing if there is any value in it (if not they should be). If they arent they are likely bound to repeat themselves..... they seem to be good at getting hacked.

But we'll let the usual suspects try and derail yet another thread, I see them all pouring here already ...smh

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    bungaboy, john_v and theRock1975 like this.
    12-31-14 02:21 PM
    Should be clear to most that the reason they had to go back to their old handsets and thus likely BES5 was to piggyback off BlackBerry's NOC (having to use the handsets is secondary news in all reality). Perhaps had they never left BlackBerry in the first place they would not have been as crippled as they were. Just a thought. I suspect there are folks at Sony looking at BES12 and seeing if there is any value in it (if not they should be). If they aren’t they are likely bound to repeat themselves..... they seem to be good at getting hacked.

But we'll let the usual suspects try and derail yet another thread, I see them all pouring here already ...smh

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    Yep. Let's celebrate the hacking apocalypse. We've been waiting for it for quite some time.

I think the post I quoted (which, by the way, has elements echoed to me OTR by a BBRY exec) has the most logical assessment at this point. Let's see if Sony eschews everything else for BB10 devices permanently.

Till then, celebrate the "victory" even BBRY itself is smart enough to ignore.

LOL.
    12-31-14 02:42 PM
    Yep. Let's celebrate the hacking apocalypse. We've been waiting for it for quite some time.

I think the post I quoted (which, by the way, has elements echoed to me OTR by a BBRY exec) has the most logical assessment at this point. Let's see if Sony eschews everything else for BB10 devices permanently.

Till then, celebrate the "victory" even BBRY itself is smart enough to ignore.

LOL.
    Good effort with the guilt card. However, nothing to celebrate for what happened to Sony. It certainly does however highlight the values that BlackBerry does bring to the party. It also begs the debate weather or not Sony would not have been crippled as badly as they were had they had BlackBerry as their MDM solution.

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-31-14 02:47 PM
    BlackBerry is an "ancient technology"? It's, um, a phone that is apparently more secure since they decided to use it.

I love how people use this phrase without any idea what technology they are are talking about or how it's "ancient".
    You know what's even more secure than a Blackberry? Delivering an encrypted letter by hand. No way would the scope of the Sony breach be possible if the company communicated through paper mail and used film. Yep, you heard it here first. Transcribing squiggly lines. Technology so secure it must be from the future!
    12-31-14 02:47 PM
    Damnit, guys, my Q10 is "ancient technology." I'm pretty sure it has specs from late 90's.
    12-31-14 02:53 PM
    Good effort with the guilt card. However, nothing to celebrate for what happened to Sony. It certainly does however highlight the values that BlackBerry does bring to the party. It also begs the debate weather or not Sony would not have been crippled as badly as they were had they had BlackBerry as their MDM solution.

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    Guilt? For what?

Anyhoo, some folks think Chen doesn't handle the press well. I think he is the most media savvy CEO today because he knows when to leave well enough alone.

“It’s proven that BlackBerry devices and the server are a lot more secure than any other solutions out there commercially available,” Chen said in a CNBC interview Dec. 19.

He declined to comment on whether Sony would have been protected against the hackers if it had been using BlackBerry’s services because he didn’t know the specifics of the attacks. Lisette Kwong, a spokeswoman for BlackBerry, declined to comment on whether BlackBerry is working with Sony to bolster security.
    How BlackBerry Ltd?s old smartphones came to the rescue in the Sony hack attack | Financial Post

Chen is smart. Takes the positives, but doesn't make up stuff.
    12-31-14 02:56 PM
    You know what's even more secure than Blackberry? Delivering an encrypted letter by hand. No way would the scope of the Sony breach be possible if the company communicated through paper mail and used film. Yep, you heard it here first. Transcribing squiggly lines. Technology so secure it must be from the future!
    But they didn't do that, what they did do is go with the best solution for their needs. They used BlackBerry phones for secure communications. Even old Blackberries was better than the alternatives.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-31-14 02:58 PM
    Damnit, guys, my Q10 is "ancient technology." I'm pretty sure it has specs from late 90's.
    Dude, Sony didn't have Q10s, I don't even think they had BB6 devices, probably BB5 or earlier.
    12-31-14 03:00 PM
    So fact that emails were being stolen practical the same day there sent is not a mobility issue. Really? And then your explanation for why mobile communications at Sony has collapsed and they move moved back to there old BlackBerries is what? Was it Nostalgia day at Sony?You do know that Sony is actually running meetings in their parking lot at the moment!!!!! Time to wake up.

Posted via CB10
    Time for you to exit your BB takes back over the world fantasy. Read post #26. Get a clue. That's all. It was due to servers, not an MDM solution, despite your silly fantasies.
    12-31-14 03:14 PM

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    From every indication, it was an INSIDE JOB! What the freak is so hard to understand about that? How would using BES have changed that?
    12-31-14 03:17 PM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Looks great on Sony... hopefully other major corporations will start to take security seriously... and that can only lead to one place...
    BlackBerry and BES12

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 03:23 PM
    From every indication, it was an INSIDE JOB! What the freak is so hard to understand about that? How would using BES have changed that?
    Tone it down dude!

Because it runs through BlackBerry's NOC, thus that server would not have been infected, hence not crippling them as bad as they were.

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    12-31-14 03:24 PM
    Tone it down dude!

Because it runs through BlackBerry's NOC, thus that server would not have been infected, hence not crippling them as bad as they were.

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    Maybe to help in the reading comprehension, you need to put caps, bold, underline, and wrap in quotations, the words "as bad".
    12-31-14 03:30 PM
    Relax...or we"ll make you both use a Curve 8300 for a week.
    12-31-14 03:33 PM
    Yup even this communication method is surely much better than the so called ancient BlackBerry technology.

You know what's even more secure than a Blackberry? Delivering an encrypted letter by hand. No way would the scope of the Sony breach be possible if the company communicated through paper mail and used film. Yep, you heard it here first. Transcribing squiggly lines. Technology so secure it must be from the future!

12-31-14 03:52 PM
98 1234