03-10-15 10:23 AM
120 ... 2345
tools
    BlackBerry should partner up with Sony!

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 12:31 PM
    BlackBerry should partner up with Sony!

Posted via CB10
    Omg I freaking said this like couple days ago then I said it last year ... that wod give BlackBerry a real ecosystem on the consumer end.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    02-23-15 06:13 PM
    Omg I freaking said this like couple days ago then I said it last year ... that wod give BlackBerry a real ecosystem on the consumer end.
    How exactly would both parties achieve that?
    02-23-15 07:23 PM
    Kind of sad and kind of expected:

My first walkman was from Sony and yes while overpriced the quality and features were worth it.

Same goes for the md player this thing was really cool and I've had mine till mp3 started to rule the planet.

My first TV and DVD player were also from Sony but the quality didn't feel as premium anymore. I think Sony made the mistake of trying to have horse in almost every technical field do their line-up hit bloated and the quality suffered badly

My last Sony product was a Vaio, great device but the first thing one had to do was wipe the full device after getting it because it was bloated with a lot off stuff that really slowed it down. The built quality easily bested the mbp but something really pissed me of..charging a premium price acne not getting a users manual or a Windows XP installation CD? WTF so I've phoned them and they told me I'd have to buy one for an extra 100 bucks..when my battery went awol they did ask me to pay 250 for a new one unbelievable.

But I digress the Ps4 and their cameras are still top notch still a sad day.
    02-23-15 07:42 PM
    How exactly would both parties achieve that?
    They would take a Microsoft/ android approach. Both would use BlackBerry 10, Sony who has TV's and ps4 and future ps5 would use QNX. They can still put applications on it. Sony could also make a enterprise screen that BlackBerry's system would run on. I'm sure a collaboration would work for both of them.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    02-23-15 08:04 PM
    They would take a Microsoft/ android approach. Both would use BlackBerry 10, Sony who has TV's and ps4 and future ps5 would use QNX. They can still put applications on it. Sony could also make a enterprise screen that BlackBerry's system would run on. I'm sure a collaboration would work for both of them.
    Sony couldn't make a go of it with Android but they would with BlackBerry 10? Ok then...
    02-23-15 08:55 PM
    So Sony had no knowledge of the root kit ? While I certainly don't know for sure, I find this hard to believe.
    Why is this hard to believe? Sony owns a media division, and the media division owns a collection of record labels. A third-party company approached one of the record labels and said "we have a product that you can put on your music CDs that will prevent people from making copies of them." The label said, "Wow, that's great. Let's make a deal to put that on some of our releases." And so it happened, and the root kit software was included in about 50 CD titles before someone figured out what it was and what it did, and of course, because it was announced by researchers to the media, the media didn't say "Epic Records included a rootkit...", they said to themselves "Who owns Epic? Oh, yeah, Sony Entertainment, which is part of Sony Corp." Thus, the headlines read: "Sony Corp puts rootkit on CDs." The first time Sony heard about it was from those early press reports - they don't micromanage what their record labels do, and record labels don't typically have the ability to make such a stupid mistake.

Contrast that with Lenovo. Lenovo defended the inclusion of Superfish (also a product from a third-party vendor) for a good long time, even though how it was supposed to work was completely messed up (and just siphoned ad views to Lenovo), and now that someone has proven that it also completely compromises browser security, they've had Superfish reclassified as a virus by the major anti-virus vendors.
    peter0328 likes this.
    03-01-15 10:49 AM
    Sony makes amazing cameras.

Beproud
    03-01-15 03:24 PM
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but in Japan this is being reported quite differently.

Sony isn't exiting the electronics business, but spinning off the electronics division into a wholly owned subsidiary. The aim is to separate the electronics division financially from Sony's other core businesses (Entertainment, Insurance) in order to allow the other divisions to show their true profitability on the balance sheets while the electronics division is left to sink or swim on its own merits. Separate from the whole Sony group, the idea is also to allow the electronics division greater autonomy to respond to industry trends.

That said if the electronics company is not profitable it will be forced to exit markets in which it is losing money (mobile) in order to return to profitability, and may fold completely if it doesn't adapt.

From what I'm reading here its far from gone yet.
    Good, I like SONY products, seeing them go would be just too much. While they've been hemorrhaging money these past few years, their products are generally good. I hope the electronics division can get better

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    03-01-15 11:50 PM
    record labels don't typically have the ability to make such a stupid mistake.
    Record labels have the ability to make a good music hard to obtain, not put rootkit on PCs :lol:

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    03-01-15 11:54 PM
    Record labels have the ability to make a good music hard to obtain, not put rootkit on PCs :lol:
    Right - something like that is not anything a corporate parent like Sony Corp ever thought to worry about. Most mistakes a record company makes is either backing the wrong band and wasting money or not backing the right band and losing out on a bunch of money. Either way, it doesn't make the kind of bad press that happened over the rootkit issue. The label itself never saw it coming (I doubt they had a very good understanding of the "security product" they were buying), and Sony corporate wasn't even aware of it until it had blown up in their face. It was definitely a first for the music industry (on that scale, press-wise), but that should have been a big-enough lesson for Lenovo to learn from. Sadly, they didn't.

Of course, Sony has since made some dumb decisions - pissing off their loyal PS3 fans by removing support for third-party OSs, without even a prior announcement, despite fully supporting them at launch, was not done with any real thought about the consequences, but that set off the whole "release of the master key by GeoHot" which then led to GeoHot being busted, which then led to Anonymous hacking hundreds of Sony's systems, including PS3net, and costing Sony Corp over a billion dollars. Clearly, they didn't understand who their customers were, and how seriously they take things like that. Hopefully, some "window seats" were earned.
    03-02-15 12:03 AM
    SONY somehow didn't learn that PS2 hacks helped the console to be more popular (each hacked console is a console bought to be hacked). I think some arrogance were indeed involved in that PS3 Linux support issue.

SONY also overpriced their accessories, I think Apple learned something from SONY. Some financial storms may change their mindset, and I hope it leads to good things. I think SONY is like Final Fantasy right now: bad things led to innovation and good things, then arrogance led to absent-mindness and now they're bleeding everywhere.

I hope I will see a Full HD SONY TV with Android TV some time, the Full HD Bravia I have at home touts the capability of video playback, turns out it can only play at 4:3 with some old ****ty codec. The TV build quality is good, but SONY needs some innovation right now if they don't want to lose to Samsung and LG, their brand is one of the high-ends, I hope they can keep it up

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    03-02-15 12:16 AM
    Right - something like that is not anything a corporate parent like Sony Corp ever thought to worry about. Most mistakes a record company makes is either backing the wrong band and wasting money or not backing the right band and losing out on a bunch of money. Either way, it doesn't make the kind of bad press that happened over the rootkit issue. The label itself never saw it coming (I doubt they had a very good understanding of the "security product" they were buying), and Sony corporate wasn't even aware of it until it had blown up in their face. It was definitely a first for the music industry (on that scale, press-wise), but that should have been a big-enough lesson for Lenovo to learn from. Sadly, they didn't.

Of course, Sony has since made some dumb decisions - pissing off their loyal PS3 fans by removing support for third-party OSs, without even a prior announcement, despite fully supporting them at launch, was not done with any real thought about the consequences, but that set off the whole "release of the master key by GeoHot" which then led to GeoHot being busted, which then led to Anonymous hacking hundreds of Sony's systems, including PS3net, and costing Sony Corp over a billion dollars. Clearly, they didn't understand who their customers were, and how seriously they take things like that. Hopefully, some "window seats" were earned.
    Where would Android be without Rooting? Where would iOS be without Jail Breaking?
    And there for a while BlackBerry started locking the runtime for a short period... it sure seemed as if they planned to remove that ability to run Android Apps that had not bee ported to BlackBerry World. But then a few months later they totally changed direction and were allowing APK to be installed directly without converting, creating keys or even sideloading.

Allowing users to "stretch" the limits of a device, can give that device more appeal. If there were a way to unlock the BootRom on the PlayBook... it might still be useful as an Android Tablet.
    mornhavon likes this.
    03-02-15 01:02 PM
    Where would Android be without Rooting? Where would iOS be without Jail Breaking?
    And there for a while BlackBerry started locking the runtime for a short period... it sure seemed as if they planned to remove that ability to run Android Apps that had not bee ported to BlackBerry World. But then a few months later they totally changed direction and were allowing APK to be installed directly without converting, creating keys or even sideloading.

Allowing users to "stretch" the limits of a device, can give that device more appeal. If there were a way to unlock the BootRom on the PlayBook... it might still be useful as an Android Tablet.
    Most iPhones are not jail broken. I don't understand why someone would jailbreak there iPhone, why comprise the security of your phone just to run a few unapproved apps. There is no shortage of approved apps.
    03-02-15 08:34 PM
    Most iPhones are not jail broken. I don't understand why someone would jailbreak there iPhone, why comprise the security of your phone just to run a few unapproved apps. There is no shortage of approved apps.
    The early days of iPhone were rife with jail breaking, it basically allowed you to actually own your phone instead of renting it with one-time fee from Apple.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    03-02-15 09:11 PM
    The early days of iPhone were rife with jail breaking, it basically allowed you to actually own your phone instead of renting it with one-time fee from Apple.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    Maybe on iMore. I am sure most iPhone owners don't even know what jail breaking is, or care.
    03-02-15 10:15 PM
    Maybe on iMore. I am sure most iPhone owners don't even know what jail breaking is, or care.
    That'd be what you'd want to convince yourself

Me, I've seen a technologically illiterate person jailbreak her iPhone, with only one click. She was told to do that by her friend.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    03-02-15 10:34 PM
    That'd be what you'd want to convince yourself

Me, I've seen a technologically illiterate person jailbreak her iPhone, with only one click. She was told to do that by her friend.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    I have known a lot of people with iPhones. The only jail breaker was a software developer.
    03-02-15 10:36 PM
    I have known a lot of people with iPhones. The only jail breaker was a software developer.
    Were they sporting iPhone 3G?

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    03-03-15 12:57 AM
    Sony is an iconic brand. The 90s was the their best decade. It's sad to see them go like this and there will always be a place in my heart for them. Those were my favourite years and just thinking about my first Sony TV, VCR, DVD, CompactDisc Player, MiniDisc and Vaio laptops gives me goosebumps because that's what I blew my paycheques on from what I earned through my first couple of jobs in high school and college.

The world has changed so much since. No company is safe from the changes in the ever growing global economy. Sony failed to adapt to the changes. I didn't expect Sony to be in the position that they are today and I'm certain most people didn't either.

Fairwell Sony. You will be missed.
    03-03-15 05:20 AM
    Farewell Sony. You will be missed.
    Not so fast. Sony's head of mobile is denying the rumor.
    http://m.androidcentral.com/sony-mob...pletely-untrue
    03-03-15 07:38 AM
    I figured this was coming.

I bought their fliptop tablet/laptop. Love it. I went to buy another computer a couple months later and bam no more computers. So my wife has the Lenovo Yoga 3. Wow is that I nice computer.

We also bought their water proof headphones/mp3 player. They are also nice. It stinks but oh well have to move on eventually I guess.
    03-03-15 08:14 AM
    You can tell a lot about a person's age by asking what is the best electronics company. Oldsters like me say Sony. Even older? RCA. Newer? Apple. Newest? Samsung. Things just change.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 08:15 AM
    You can tell a lot about a person's age by asking what is the best electronics company. Oldsters like me say Sony. Even older? RCA. Newer? Apple. Newest? Samsung. Things just change.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. Similar to eMail accounts Aol, Hotmail.

I have to say that for the most part, Sony has much nicer designs than Samsung.
    Samsung is too godly, too kitschy in my opinion. Fake glamour.

Nice design is important for me. I see my devices as part of the furniture, part of my outfit.

Ironically I find that so far Apple has the nicest design and best exterior quality. Too bad Sony could not do someting similar.
    03-03-15 09:25 AM
    remember the Mini Discs?
    In school there was my buddy. The ******* had one of these pricey MDs! Very arrogant he listened to his prestigious MD Player from Sony. We respected him for that! It was quality and something unique.

Funny that it was a failure. But sure. Proprietary stuff should always fail.

But they made awesome stuff in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s! Kudos to that.
    I remembered the minidisc. It is a fine piece of technology, still use it after 13 years and it's still running and can run for days on its AA-battery.

I personally think Microsoft/Nokia will be next to go. Huawei is currently attacking the Asian markets with high spec phones for $300 and it is selling them directly via its website.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 11:34 AM
120 ... 2345