Quote; When it was rumored that Samsung was in talks to purchase BlackBerry last month, one of the major side-effects was that BlackBerry's stock price skyrocketed. Now, regulators from both the U.S. and Canada are reportedly investigating trading activity around the time of the rumor in order to ascertain whether it was started to profit from the resulting surge in BlackBerry's stock price.

From The Wall Street Journal:

The Securities and Exchange Commission and the Ontario Securities Commission are in the early stages of examining trading activity around the time of a report by Reuters in January that Samsung was pursuing a takeover of BlackBerry for as much as $7.5 billion, according to people familiar with the matter. Investigators are looking at whether someone deliberately fed information to reporters at the news service for the purpose of profiting on the resulting stock increase, one of the people said.

As The Wall Street Journal notes, BlackBerry's stock surged by 30 percent on the back of the rumors, and nosedived just as quickly after both Samsung and BlackBerry denied the talks later that day.

Though proving any malicious intent may be difficult, it will definitely be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of this reported investigation.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Regulators looking at possible stock manipulation in Samsung buying BlackBerry rumors | Android Central
    02-08-15 09:20 PM
    Wouldn't be surprised.
    02-08-15 09:28 PM
    Goes on all the time! Some get caught, others keep doing it til they do

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    02-08-15 09:38 PM
    Yep. The real players have layers of fall guys.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    02-08-15 10:18 PM
    Of course, this would not be the coming from the hated shorts but someone looking for the price to go up.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-08-15 11:53 PM
    No one should be surprised by this as Wall Street is fueled by insider information and market manipulation. I'm sure most of these traders live large now because they know its only a question of time before they end up in the slammer.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 02-09-15 at 12:57 PM.
    lactose and bungaboy like this.
    02-09-15 09:14 AM
    Yep. The real players have layers of fall guys.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    Yeah look at the market crash of 2008. Hardly anyone got in trouble for it, & those who did were low level bankers who were probably just doing what they were told

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-14-15 10:07 AM
    What gets me is why would anyone report this news without verifying, what happened to real journalism.
    02-14-15 10:17 AM
    What gets me is why would anyone report this news without verifying, what happened to real journalism.
    Became owned by corporations so their integrity is what the owner dictates it to be.
    bungaboy and lactose like this.
    02-14-15 01:01 PM
    Yeah look at the market crash of 2008. Hardly anyone got in trouble for it, & those who did were low level bankers who were probably just doing what they were told

Posted via CB10
    Look at this bunch... *rollsroeyes*

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...t-society.html

One-Percent Jokes and Plutocrats in Drag: What I Saw When I Crashed a Wall Street Secret Society

Looks like they know full-well what they're doing.
    :-D

edit:
    They get threatened and thrown out... ^ ;-)

  Telstra has the Classic now, "got it in two weeks agow"...   b
    02-15-15 04:52 AM
    Of course, this would not be the coming from the hated shorts but someone looking for the price to go up.
    Well of course that is not necessarily true. Start a false rumor of a buy out, the stock goes up, then discredit that rumor and the stock tanks. There are a lot of liquid shares so it makes for a good short covering situation. Unfortunately for the shorters it didn't tank quite as much this time as it did on previous purchase rumors.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Glenn Biddle; 02-17-15 at 01:22 PM.
    02-17-15 12:53 PM
    Well of course that is not necessarily true. Start a false rumor of a buy out, the stock goes up, then discredit that rumor and the stock tanks. There are a lot of liquid shares so it makes for a good short covering situation. Unfortunately for the shorters it didn't tank quite as much this time as it did on previous purchase rumors.

Posted via CB10
    I think a lot of people still think there might be some truth to the rumors... Having the two companies deny it and the FCC beginning an investigation doesn't seem to dissuade them.
    02-17-15 02:57 PM
    I think a lot of people still think there might be some truth to the rumors... Having the two companies deny it and the FCC beginning an investigation doesn't seem to dissuade them.
    The two companies only denied being in direct contact with each other when asked about being in talks about a possible take over . When asked about the companies using third parties to negotiate the possibility of a take over there was no comment. As far as the FCC investigation that could be just as likely to be an investigation into market manipulation due to insider information.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 03:17 PM
    The two companies only denied being in direct contact with each other when asked about being in talks about a possible take over. When asked about the companies using third parties to negotiate the possibility of a take over there was no comment.
    Just as answering with silence, often "no comment" says "yes" (or "no") more conclusively than either positive answer. And the (truthful) denial of a very specific and narrow issue to avoid admitting to a greater truth is classic tactics. It's something politicians do all the time.

Ask any spouse who gets "no comment" or silence to the question "are you being unfaithful to me?" whether they take that response as a "no".
    02-17-15 04:12 PM
    Blackberry, quite literally, can't do anything right.

Not even manipulate their own stock price.
    02-17-15 05:25 PM
    Blackberry, quite literally, can't do anything right.

Not even manipulate their own stock price.
    Sad but seemingly true. Was hoping that JC not being a part of the Waterloo distortion field would mean better execution and a former grasp on reality, but it appears that he is falling into the same traps as his predecessors.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 07:40 PM
    Sad but seemingly true. Was hoping that JC not being a part of the Waterloo distortion field would mean better execution and a former grasp on reality, but it appears that he is falling into the same traps as his predecessors.

Posted via CB10
    please elaborate Waterloo distortion Field, what traps John Chen may have fallen into, and how it pertains to the stock manipulation, and what benefits BlackBerry or john Chen would get from such a manipulation. I think perhaps that you may need to get firmer grasp of reality yourself.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 08:03 PM
    please elaborate Waterloo distortion Field, what traps John Chen may have fallen into, and how it pertains to the stock manipulation, and what benefits BlackBerry or john Chen would get from such a manipulation. I think perhaps that you may need to get firmer grasp of reality yourself.

Posted via CB10
    My responses were to Tchocky's statement, hence the quote, and not tied to stock manipulation, even though BlackBerry CEO have a past of poor choices related to stock handling. But since you asked, the Waterloo distortion field that basically made BlackBerry executives think that the iPhone was dumb, that users wouldn't want to type on anything other than a PKB, etc. Even while actual events and sales figures clearly showed the contrary. JC seems to think the same thing ad he has abandoned all touch for a PKB focus even though that isn't what the enterprise or consumer market wants now. The traps of saying stupid things in public (app neutrality for JC, Mike and Jim's crazy statements, and Thir had his too) that show a CEO that wants to change the rules of competition because he can't compete as things exist and/or makes him look out if touch and a little loony!

JC's predecessors have given him no wiggle room for stupid mistakes as they made too many. Everything he screws up now just makes the company itself look like mess that no one can fix.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 08:22 PM
    So you have insider information on what the next couple of phones are going to be?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 08:37 PM
    Blackberry needs to figure out how to emit a tachyon pulse.....worked in Star Trek Next Gen every time !!
    02-17-15 08:46 PM
    So you have insider information on what the next couple of phones are going to be?

Posted via CB10
    No. I know that your are two years after the Z10 launch with no replacement and you have users hear saying they are going to move on if something good isn't announced at MWC. The only rumored all touch is the Rio which is also rumored to be a lateral move from the Z10, even bla1ze stated so on the upstream podcast. Maybe they will surprise us, but given the past and their lack of resources and statements it doesn't look good.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 09:59 PM
    No. I know that your are two years after the Z10 launch with no replacement and you have users hear saying they are going to move on if something good isn't announced at MWC. The only rumored all touch is the Rio which is also rumored to be a lateral move from the Z10, even bla1ze stated so on the upstream podcast. Maybe they will surprise us, but given the past and their lack of resources and statements it doesn't look good.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I've had my Z10 for two years now. It still works for me just fine. Sorry I'm not one of those people people that has to have the newest latest greatest device out there. If BlackBerry has made a mistake it was to make a product that is too durable. This is the first phone I've ever had that has lasted over a year. If this phone where to stop working tomorrow I know I would be happy with a passport but I'm in no hurry, and I can wait to see what the future holds.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 11:02 PM
    Yeah I've had my Z10 for two years now. It still works for me just fine. Sorry I'm not one of those people people that has to have the newest latest greatest device out there. If BlackBerry has made a mistake it was to make a product that is too durable. This is the first phone I've ever had that has lasted over a year. If this phone where to stop working tomorrow I know I would be happy with a passport but I'm in no hurry, and I can wait to see what the future holds.

Posted via CB10
    I had one for a year and a half. Was starting to reboot when I would drop it on my bed after work like all removable Battery BlackBerry devices I have owned eventually do, so durability varies by what someone's device has happen. Also the Android speed on the Z30 to the Z10 is night and day IMHO. The Z30 loads the OS way faster after a reboot, runs much cooler using the same apps, etc. So IMHO, and updated SOC with better GPU is definitely needed in an all touch device over what the Z10 has. Z30 is the minimum SOC that should be used on any new BlackBerry device. Really I would say Snapdragon 600 should be the min as it is a more modern SOC.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 11:20 PM
    I had one for a year and a half. Was starting to reboot when I would drop it on my bed after work like all removable Battery BlackBerry devices I have owned eventually do, so durability varies by what someone's device has happen. Also the Android speed on the Z30 to the Z10 is night and day IMHO. The Z30 loads the OS way faster after a reboot, runs much cooler using the same apps, etc. So IMHO, and updated SOC with better GPU is definitely needed in an all touch device over what the Z10 has. Z30 is the minimum SOC that should be used on any new BlackBerry device. Really I would say Snapdragon 600 should be the min as it is a more modern SOC.

Posted via CB10
    Don't get me wrong I've been tempted by the Z30 as well. Its definitely cheap enough at the moment but I prefer the removable battery, keep a spare battery with me and I can keep my phone on 24 7. And as I said, it would be a waist to replace a phone before I need to.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Glenn Biddle; 02-17-15 at 11:41 PM.
    02-17-15 11:30 PM