John Chen has been really busy rebuilding the image of BlackBerry and it shows through the industry and Wall Street. The news about the relationship between BlackBerry and AT&T shows that he is focused and has a plan.

AT&T says it still has BlackBerry's back | CES 2014: Smartphones - CNET Blogs
    Last edited by Taede; 01-06-14 at 05:50 PM.
    01-06-14 05:40 PM
    Interesting. This "support" might be evident in an AT&T compatible Z30 clearing the FCC recently.

Thanks for posting.
    manonthemoon likes this.
    01-06-14 05:51 PM
    Yeah but focus on what?? Read what it said Z30 maybe the last device (in the USA) AND WAS ONLY on VZW.

Sent by the worlds best phone the Z30
    01-06-14 05:59 PM
    The best way to show support is by releasing 10.2 to ATT devices asap.
    01-06-14 06:21 PM
    That is great news op

Sent from whatever device I got my hands on via Tapatalk
    01-06-14 06:25 PM
    Yeah but focus on what?? Read what it said Z30 maybe the last device (in the USA) AND WAS ONLY on VZW.

Are you refering to this statement? If so It does not say maybe. It does say last meaning latest device.

BlackBerry has said it would retreat from the consumer market, which many took to mean that it wouldn't make any new devices. Indeed, its last device, the jumbo BlackBerry Z30, was sold through Verizon Wireless, and was only offered online in a tepid showing of enthusiasm from the carrier.
    01-06-14 06:28 PM
    Interesting. This "support" might be evident in an AT&T compatible Z30 clearing the FCC recently.

Thanks for posting.
    Ooh...that could be unlocked and used on T-Mo!
    01-06-14 06:47 PM
    Since the Verizon Z30 is a GSM Western Hemisphere phone ATT 4G sims work just fine, have friends with Z30s on ATT.
    01-06-14 06:56 PM
    I have a unlocked Z30 on AT&T but no LTE

01-06-14 06:59 PM
    Ooh...that could be unlocked and used on T-Mo!
    I think so too. It would be nice if they'd stock live demos in stores. But if someone was buying sight unseen for use on TMO, there already is an option: the STA100-5.
    01-06-14 07:02 PM

Where did it say that the Z30 maybe the last device. I think you misinterpreted.
    h20work and Taede like this.
    01-06-14 07:06 PM

last device? BlackBerry had 4 devices in the works two were scrapped and the two high end devices are still in play. also the new head of devices would disagree that they aren't making any more new devices.

seriously the **** that comes out of folks mouths these days are mind blowing lol
    DJM626 likes this.
    01-06-14 07:54 PM
    i read this article. it didn't tell me squat. i still hate AT&T. don't trust them. but i'm on 10.2.1 so ef them.
    01-06-14 08:02 PM
    last device? BlackBerry had 4 devices in the works two were scrapped and the two high end devices are still in play. also the new head of devices would disagree that they aren't making any more new devices.

seriously the **** that comes out of folks mouths these days are mind blowing lol
    The poster meant last device to be sold in the US and, with the ways things are going for Blackberry and the US Z10s/30s, it's certainly a possibility that North Americans may not hear from Blackberry for a while.

Blackberry does have devices in the pipeline; but 1/ Jakarta is clearly aimed at developing markets and many US carriers refuse to offer non-4g devices, 2/ Blackberry's high end devices are not confirmed and may be scrapped, and 3/ US and Canadian carriers appear to have lost interest carrying Blackberries. Online offering is a stepping stone to not offering indefinitely.

If Blackberry intends to convince North American carriers that it is still in the game, one thing is for certain. Blackberry will need a drastically different strategy. Businesses are about money and it will be difficult to convince them to give Blackberry another shot. Blackberry's only options to reentering the North American market are 1/ showing the carriers that it could be a success by selling well overseas, 2/ releasing a drastically different product (read: not BB10.2/11), or 3/ reducing prices to eye popping levels.

But Blackberry has no money to fund 2 unless it is going Android and even 1 and 3 will be much more challenging as competition in the ultra low end is growing. Judging from CES, Jakarta needs to be either a 6" Z30 for 200 USD like the upcoming ASUS Zenphone or sub-75 USD to compete against the other Zenphone or Lumia 520s.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 01-07-14 at 02:17 AM.
    01-07-14 02:00 AM
    AT&T blows. Just look at their latest business model. Instead of loosening up on the data caps - they create sponsored data. What a bunch of crooks.

I would cancel my cell phone if my only choice was AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 03:08 AM
    Since the Verizon Z30 is a GSM Western Hemisphere phone ATT 4G sims work just fine, have friends with Z30s on ATT.
    I thought Verizon was CDMA?
    01-07-14 11:07 AM
    It is, but some of the newer CDMA devices take sim cards these days.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    01-07-14 11:09 AM
    It is, but some of the newer CDMA devices take sim cards these days.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, not where I was going. I know about the SIM card deal (Wife has an iPhone 5), but I thought the CDMA models were the only way to get 4G?
    01-07-14 11:11 AM
    Me too, but I do have LTE in Chicago though.
    01-07-14 11:13 AM

Thanks for posting.
    And coming in February to avoid the noise of the holiday season?

The z30 won't receive much more support from AT&T than the z10 did IMHO. AT&T damns with faint praise where BlackBerry is concerned and has been for years now.

I would love to be proven wrong but as an AT&T customer the proof will be in the pudding.
    extisis likes this.
    01-07-14 11:19 AM
    And coming in February to avoid the noise of the holiday season?

The z30 won't receive much more support from AT&T than the z10 did IMHO. AT&T damns with faint praise where BlackBerry is concerned and has been for years now.

I would love to be proven wrong but as an AT&T customer the proof will be in the pudding.
    couldn't have said it better. only reason i'm still on is for the grandfathered unlimited plan, that's it.
    01-07-14 11:21 AM
    I thought Rogers had BlackBerry's back too until they didn't carry the Z30 in store. Things can change really fast.
    01-07-14 11:29 AM
    LTE is independent of GSM/CDMA. Plus, as Amy said, CDMA phones have been able to take SIM cards for a while, and have also had UMTS bands in them. Verizon used to call them "world phones" when all they had were the 900 and 2100 MHz band. Nowadays, they pack many more bands. The STA100-3 for example has 850 MHz and 1900 MHz too--AT&T's 3G/HSPA+ bands.

I thought Rogers had BlackBerry's back too until they didn't carry the Z30 in store. Things can change really fast.
    Different situation, IMO. Rogers was forced to backtrack due to backlash (not much of a backtracking, but still something.) AT&T is in no such position, therefore they have no reason, really, to support BB. But they apparently are going to.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    01-07-14 11:41 AM
    Thanks. Learned something.
    extisis likes this.
    01-07-14 01:52 PM