Whenever Think that RIM's stock has bottom'd out, it goes lower

After last weeks DISASTEROUS earnings call the stock plummeted to $7 a share....However since then it has started to slowly climb....let's hope it keeps climbing...afterall RIM's book value is $18 a share!

I'm hoping things go well at the Shareholder's meeting on the 10th....atleast this year (unlike last year) major shareholders are not all clamering about votes of non-confidence......though you never know what deels are going on behind closed doors...
    TORONTO - Shares of Research In Motion (TSX:RIM) rose nearly six per cent on Friday, extending gains the BlackBerry maker made in the previous session.

The Waterloo, Ont.-based company's stock was up 46 cents to $8.27 in afternoon trading.

The jump follows gaining almost five per cent on Thursday.

RIM's shares have been testing near-decade lows over the past week after announcing delays to its BlackBerry 10 operating system and new products.

The company is also laying off about 5,000 employees as it slashes costs across the organization to contend with faltering sales.

RIM will hold its annual meeting in Waterloo on Tuesday.
    RIM shares move higher in second session of gains for BlackBerry maker | CanadianBusiness.com
    DuexNoir likes this.
    07-06-12 02:46 PM
    just a bounce after a disastrous week.
    07-06-12 03:21 PM
    Posted this in THIS thread:

A large investor is adjusting a long position in Research In Motion, which has been dropping like a rock.

optionMONSTER's tracking systems yesterday detected the purchase of about 50,000 January 11 calls for $0.53 and the sale of an equal number of January 14 calls for $0.19. Volume was below open interest in the 14s but not the 11s, suggesting that an existing position was rolled to the lower strike.

The transaction cost the investor $0.34 and increases exposure to a rally in because he or she now own calls with a lower strike price and a higher delta. While bullish on the surface, the trade could be the work of an investor who is short RIMM and is using the calls as a hedge.

Such a strategy would be the mirror image of owning protective puts to protect a long position in a stock. (See our Education section)

RIMM climbed 4.63 percent to $7.69 yesterday but has lost almost three-quarters of its value in the last year. Results have grown increasingly negative at the company, whose once-ubiquitous BlackBerry phones have been steadily losing market share.

Overall option volume was more than twice the daily average in yesterday's session, with calls outnumbering puts by more than 4 to 1.
    07-06-12 03:24 PM
    Remember that with BB10 being pushed back to Q1 2013, you have two more earnings calls before BB10 hits the market. You are not going to see a surge in BB7 sales or any decent subscriber growth, and quite possibly some subscriber loss in that time, so I expect the stock to take at least two more hits between now and BB10 launch. I don't expect the stock to increase in value until BB10 is well received, and subscriber growth shows substantial gains. People will want to see RIM deliver BB10 successfully before giving them the benefit of the doubt.
    07-06-12 03:47 PM
    This is referred to as a dead cat bounce.

I believe we'll be in single digits until BB10.
    07-06-12 05:33 PM
    I remember when it was like $25.00 a share. Talk about bad leadership and running a company into the ground. Sorry I am still mad about BB10 delay.
    mud314 and Yaceka like this.
    07-06-12 05:40 PM
    This is referred to as a dead cat bounce.

I believe we'll be in single digits until BB10.
    The optimist in me wants to point out:

- Costs are being cut

- With OS7 handsets written down, any sales made now will be gravy.

- If RIM discounts enough, in the right places, they may be able to sustain continued subscriber gains (that's an iffy one, I admit).

If they stabilize and cut costs enough, they may actually return to profitability before BB10.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-06-12 06:20 PM
    Too bad you got two more quarters to go with a competing Iphone 5 and Android Jellybean phones releasing on "TIME" for the back to school and holiday shopping season....Now that doesnt sound like good news.
    Last edited by darkmanx2g; 07-06-12 at 11:33 PM.
    07-06-12 11:10 PM
    It's up because of AMAZON comments about looking for smartphone partner...that is all.Nothing changed. it will go down to $6 within next few months UNLESS it gets acquired..
    07-06-12 11:14 PM
    Here's how I figure it.
    SOMETHING has to give and it's time to buy. Besides at what point will android users have had enough with the sweet cutesy food names before they can't take it and they puke.

Obviously, I don't do a lot of figuring, but hey it's cheap how can you lose much.
    Last edited by PheonixSun; 07-06-12 at 11:59 PM.
    07-06-12 11:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD