03-06-15 09:32 AM
72 123
tools
    The Z10 was too small for me - even ignoring the "issues".

Size, it really *is* important!
    I think there will come a time if BlackBerry does decide to enter the high end touchscreen game that they will need to look at releasing a 5.5" phablet. The popularity of that category can't be ignored.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-05-15 09:54 AM
    Slider is full screen
    . Sucks to pay for unwanted hardware though.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:22 AM
    I think there will come a time if BlackBerry does decide to enter the high end touchscreen game that they will need to look at releasing a 5.5" phablet. The popularity of that category can't be ignored.
    It sure caught Apple by surprise....
    03-05-15 11:31 AM
    I got mine for $225. I don't think you could find a phone at that price that would be as complete or well built. But yeah the launch price or non sale price the spec to price ratio was/is a joke.

I think Chen is intentionally making low volume high ASP devices is it will make killing off handset business easier. If he released something that was more successful then he wouldn't be able to kill it as easy.

Posted via CB10
    You do realize that with Nanthealth as a company that they partially own that killing off bb10 might be difficult. They will at least need an android phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 12:00 PM
    I think the next all touch Blackberry will be a Passport sans keyboard.
    They should keep the square screen and make a square smartphone with no buttons. That would definitely be a head-turner. There would be nothing like it.
    03-05-15 12:14 PM
    They should keep the square screen and make a square smartphone with no buttons. That would definitely be a head-turner. There would be nothing like it.
    A slider Passport would be even cooler.
    03-05-15 12:32 PM
    As the owner of a Lumia 1520 (6" HD screen), you won't be surprised to learn that I agree that phablets are "in".

You learn to ignore the stares of folk when such a huge device is held against your face... LOL
    03-05-15 01:01 PM
    But why? Why should our only full touch upgrade, be a device that has almost reached its two year mark?

Posted via CB10
    Remember the old days when phones lasted several years and we were happy? We've basically come full circle.

No, the Z30 doesn't have a 2GHz Nvidia Tegra
    No, the Z30 doesn't have a 1400p screen
    No, the Z30 doesn't have a removable battery
    No, the Z30 doesn't have specs that come out next year

But guess what? It is still an awesome phone and still works perfectly. Every other device from every other manufacturer starts getting bogged down by a new OS that the old CPU starts to struggle with, and the latest phones get newer and newer features that we're told that we absolutely NEED to have. Heck, Apple even holds off on adding useful features (like NFC or bigger screen) until they absolutely need it as a selling point for the next model.
    The Z30 is not like that. From the get-go it has a fairly well-rounded feature set, and Blackberry is constantly working on improving the efficiency of the OS so the system works faster and better. I'm perfectly happy using this thing until it breaks (and costs too much to repair), after which I'll get a newer device or just pick up a refurbished Z30
    03-05-15 02:35 PM
    You don't need 64 bit if your OS isn't bloatware.
    The Z30 also has a larger screen than the iPhone 6.
    The battery life on the Z30 is still better than the iPhone 6. I hear rumors that people are getting even better battery life after 10.3.1 upgrade.
    Lol, the SOC is the part that defined the key phone generation.

In your definition of spec using solely phone sreen size, Z3 = Leap = Z30.
    Seriously, anyone other than you will recognize that Z30 is better than the other two due solely to the SOC being used.
    03-05-15 02:50 PM
    Lol, the SOC is the part that defined the key phone generation.

In your definition of spec using solely phone sreen size, Z3 = Leap = Z30.
    Seriously, anyone other than you will recognize that Z30 is better than the other two due solely to the SOC being used.
    The difference between them is just so small, not like the difference between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 6 for example

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:23 PM
    Phone Arena comparison
    Smart Phone
    iPhone has more pixels and 64 Bit.
    But it has a smaller screen and a slower clunkier OS.
    Here, I fixed it for you, now iPhone eats it for breakfast:

So is that it? ( MWC)-clipboard01.jpg
    03-05-15 05:52 PM
    After starting with the z10 and moving to the 30 I agree the 30 is a significant upgrade from the speakers to the smoothness.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:57 PM
    You do realize that with Nanthealth as a company that they partially own that killing off bb10 might be difficult. They will at least need an android phone.

Posted via CB10
    No they just need the BlackBerry Enterprise Software they just announced running on the Android, iPhone or Windows phone of their choice.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 06:25 PM
    You don't need 64 bit if your OS isn't bloatware.
    The Z30 also has a larger screen than the iPhone 6.
    The battery life on the Z30 is still better than the iPhone 6. I hear rumors that people are getting even better battery life after 10.3.1 upgrade.
    64 bit has nothing to do with bloat ware. It had the ability to crunch larger numbers quicker, as well as support more memory in the future. I'm sure when BlackBerry is forced to move to 64 bit because they run out of S4 processors to push on people then 64 bit will be awesome and needed ,especially when they are running Android and BlackBerry on the same device in VM's with the QNX Hypervisor, but that won't be considered bloat.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    03-05-15 06:32 PM
    There is no market for a square all touch phone. None, nada, finito.

Short and fat is not on the menu.
    03-05-15 06:57 PM
    No they just need the BlackBerry Enterprise Software they just announced running on the Android, iPhone or Windows phone of their choice.

Posted via CB10
    and how do you get through the HIPPA issues without a secure OS?
    03-05-15 07:03 PM
    Yet, it is still a great phone and on par with new offerings from other companies.
    No, it's not "on par" with new offerings from the competitors. Perhaps you could debate that... but realistically, at best the Z30 is "Toeing the line" to keep up. Somebody that wants to upgrade today, wants a device that will be future proof for at least the next 2-3 years (depending on their contract). 2-3 years is a rather long time in the mobile industry, and I seriously doubt the Z30 could toe the line even half that long without the end-user having to recognize concessions and/or be apologetic about it.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 03-06-15 at 08:13 AM.
    eldricho and JeepBB like this.
    03-05-15 07:12 PM
    and how do you get through the HIPPA issues without a secure OS?
    The secure container in the BlackBerry software. Look at the press release. BlackBerry is securing Samsung devices. They are putting secure software on all platforms now. Obviously iOS is good enough for HIPPA now given IOS penetration in the medical field, but BlackBerry is going to connect them all into the IoT securely via BES and let BlackBerry phones die.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:14 PM
    Remember the old days when phones lasted several years and we were happy? We've basically come full circle.

No, the Z30 doesn't have a 2GHz Nvidia Tegra
    No, the Z30 doesn't have a 1400p screen
    No, the Z30 doesn't have a removable battery
    No, the Z30 doesn't have specs that come out next year

But guess what? It is still an awesome phone and still works perfectly. Every other device from every other manufacturer starts getting bogged down by a new OS that the old CPU starts to struggle with, and the latest phones get newer and newer features that we're told that we absolutely NEED to have. Heck, Apple even holds off on adding useful features (like NFC or bigger screen) until they absolutely need it as a selling point for the next model.
    The Z30 is not like that. From the get-go it has a fairly well-rounded feature set, and Blackberry is constantly working on improving the efficiency of the OS so the system works faster and better. I'm perfectly happy using this thing until it breaks (and costs too much to repair), after which I'll get a newer device or just pick up a refurbished Z30
    It is still an awesome phone and still works perfectly, that I surely agree with. No doubt about that. But the question is, is it future proof? If I buy it now, do I have any guarantee that it'll still be working as smooth and fast a year and a half later? With the dependency on Android apps and the runtime getting bigger (and being used by BlackBerry themselves as solution to the app gap), it is not sure that the 30 is future proofed enough with Android architecture changing with the tech years.

Ofcourse the latest specs do not always mean the greatest phone, but that still doesn't mean that everyone who is in need of a full touch upgrade can/will shell out $300 for a two year old device, which possesses (weird word) 3-3.5 year old specs

Posted via CB10
    lnichols likes this.
    03-05-15 09:07 PM
    My issue with hardare is that:
    My Z10: Is sometimes sluggish
    My Z10: Takes forever to boot
    My Z10: Even after booting is still initializing the Hub and scanning media for music, videos, pics, etc

A faster CPU and architecture will improve this. They really need to improve the scan speed of files and hub initialization.

My media card doesn't change. Just keep hashcodes on the non removable storage and do a quick check at start up. If the removeable media has matching hashcodes, it is unchanged. And hashcoding is FAST.
    03-06-15 08:03 AM
    My issue with hardare is that:
    My Z10: Is sometimes sluggish
    My Z10: Takes forever to boot
    My Z10: Even after booting is still initializing the Hub and scanning media for music, videos, pics, etc

A faster CPU and architecture will improve this. They really need to improve the scan speed of files and hub initialization.

My media card doesn't change. Just keep hashcodes on the non removable storage and do a quick check at start up. If the removeable media has matching hashcodes, it is unchanged. And hashcoding is FAST.
    Get a Z30 for cheap if you can. Great upgrade and you now know nothing better is likely to come out for a year if ever. It runs way better than cooler than my Z10 did and. Quad core GPU and a better dual core CPU design. Now that they have to keep BB10 running on Z10 grade hardware for some time because of the Leap and Classic, it should run BB10 great for longer.

It sucks that your only upgrade path is a year and a half old device, but that is what Chen has set us up with. Other option would be to go with a GS6 or iP6 and wait till you can load the BlackBerry software in it.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 08:53 AM
    I'd do the slider depending on if it has a touchscreen keyboard and good hardware.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 09:32 AM
72 123