05-31-14 09:22 PM
326 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    So the answer to the OP is no.
    05-25-14 08:35 AM
    Then for BB10 purists there is either no gap or no solution.

Seems like Android Apps were always under consideration:

August 2011: Bloomberg reports that the next-gen phones will support Android apps when they debut in "early" 2012. Rumors circulate about a BlackBerry device codenamed "Colt," intended to debut in the first quarter of 2012.

Posted via CB10
    Very interesting.

I've gone from being called a BlackBerry hater to being called a BlackBerry purist. My head is spinning.

Here is the thing....I don't care what the plans were nor do I care what people do. *I* buy a phone from a platform to run it as that platform, not as a hybrid. For me, it makes no sense.

What others do is entirely up to them.

But one thing....I don't believe that in the U.S. market the idea of getting a phone from one platform to load unsupported apps from another is an appealing one.

I could be wrong. If I am wrong we will see an uptick in market share in the US and at that point I will say I am wrong. I'm not afraid of saying I was wrong. After all, if BlackBerry regains it's place and leaves Windows in the dust we all win.

Sent from my AWESOME gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    05-25-14 08:36 AM
    Very interesting.

I've gone from being called a BlackBerry hater to being called a BlackBerry purist. My head is spinning.

Here is the thing....I don't care what the plans were nor do I care what people do. *I* buy a phone from a platform to run it as that platform, not as a hybrid. For me, it makes no sense.

But one thing....I don't believe that in the U.S. market the idea of getting a phone from one platform to load unsupported apps from another is an appealing one.

I could be wrong. If I am wrong we will see an uptick in market share in the US and at that point I will say I am wrong. I'm not afraid of saying I was wrong. After all, if BlackBerry regains it's place and leaves Windows in the dust we all win.

People don't know what is or is not a port. Many games are developed for iOS and then ported to Android and vice versa.

It has to be seamless to the end-user. The Apps either need to be in App World or on some pre-installed third-party app store.

It is not rocket science to figure out what needs to be done. The rocket science is making it happen. Until now the runtime wasn't great. Now it is pretty close. BlackBerry has a chance to make it happen.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 08:47 AM
    It has to be seamless to the end-user. The Apps either need to be in App World or on some pre-installed third-party app store.

It is not rocket science to figure out what needs to be done.
    I understand that... but then I am a (for real) rocket-scientist LOL. I reckon even BB understand that, so why isn't it happening?

BB's problems of getting ported Android Apps into BBW are well-documented. Few Devs seem to be bothered to do it, and I can't see why they would change their minds this far downstream. The cost v benefit equation for Devs isn't looking any better as time passes so that boat has likely sailed IMO.

As for pre-installing an Android App Store onto BB10 handsets prior to sale... well, as that's so simple to do, there must be a very good reason why BB don't do it. My guess would be "legal issues" but, whatever the reason, the fact that BB don't take such a simple step shows that there must be some foreseen drawback.
    05-25-14 09:06 AM
    I understand that... but then I am a (for real) rocket-scientist LOL. I reckon even BB understand that, so why isn't it happening?

BB's problems of getting ported Android Apps into BBW are well-documented. Few Devs seem to be bothered to do it, and I can't see why they would change their minds this far downstream. The cost v benefit equation for Devs isn't looking any better as time passes so that boat has likely sailed IMO.

As for pre-installing an Android App Store onto BB10 handsets prior to sale... well, as that's so simple to do, there must be a very good reason why BB don't do it. My guess would be "legal issues" but, whatever the reason, the fact that BB don't take such a simple step shows that there must be some foreseen drawback.
    I think the runtime was not good enough for BlackBerry to advertise it. With 10.3, they may feel confident enough in it to advertise it.

They are already advertising it in Indonesia with 10.2.1 but I bet that "legal issues" don't exist there to stop it.

I have always hoped that there would come a time when BlackBerry had its act together and was firing on all cylinders: good hardware, good OS, good marketing plan. Maybe that time is coming and we will finally see the elusive "execution" that has been missing.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-25-14 10:00 AM
    Great logic: "they seem to think everything else is easy.." LOL.

That doesn't simply happen with a wave of the magic wand. When you have to share hardware resources with another complete OS and all its apps and processes and data-transfer bandwidth and storage bandwidth, it's not quite so simple. If it was, we would probably have seen a bunch of "dual OS" devices all over the marketplace already.

And *I* can't stress enough that if I wanted that garbage anywhere near *my* devices, I would have given up on BlackBerry years ago and just bought an Android. Sure would have made life a lot simpler on the technology front, I'll tell you that.

That's kind of like expecting to have a little button you press when you first get into your new Prius, for only $59.95 you can have a "600 horsepower option" that gives you the ability to accelerate 0-60mph in 3 seconds, too. You don't just "add on" something to a completely different product because the technology and licensing and development and physical requirements to optimize for each of them are very very different.

Good points.

Slicing and dicing Android compatibility is far less of an issue for this product than if it was ONLY an Android product. If every person in Indonesia really just wanted Android functionality more than anything else, they'd probably not be even considering a BlackBerry, they'd just go buy one of the 300-something or however many versions of Android devices available to them there.

Next thing you know people will claim that Indonesians want their next smartphone to include a 42" HDTV and a microwave oven, too.
    First, Android apps run on the Dalvik virtual machine running on a (modified) Linux OS on all Android devices (as we've discussed at length in another thread), so the "Sharing resources with another OS" does not make Android slower on BB10 since all Android apps do the same thing (Dalvik + Linux on Android devices versus Dalvik + QNX on BB10). It is technically possible to get Android to run as fast on BB10 as any Android phone (with equal specs). They aren't there yet though.

Omnitech, are you surprised that Android 4.3 is already supported on 10.3? In that earlier thread you gave the impression that it may take years for BlackBerry to get to the next version of Android since they don't have the 1000s of developers dedicated to Android that Google has.

Apparently 10.3 (which now supports Jelly Bean 4.3) is drastically faster than the 10.2.1 runtime.

Second, it turns out that many Indonesians are buying the Z3 specifically because it's a BlackBerry with Android compatibility and a low price (particularly students).

Check out the thread on Z3 sales in Indonesia to get some info from some native Indonesians (living in Indonesia) on this subject.

Note: Of course, it's all anecdotal til we get hard sales numbers, but it seems a lot more "real" than the 'Q10 selling out at Selfridges' fiasco. Fingers crossed!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 05-25-14 at 01:39 PM.
    05-25-14 01:17 PM
    As far as Indonesia goes, the Z3's Adreno 305 GPU seems to allow it to run Android with similar performance (on basic apps like Instagram etc...) to the Z30 (as far as user experience goes).

The Adreno 305 is faster than the Adreno 225 in the Q10 and Z10 and is the same GPU used in the new HTC One Mini (M8 Mini).

It seems GPU speed is more important to Android performance than CPU speed. And then the fact that the Z3 screen has lower resolution than the Z10 and Z30 (fewer pixels to push), it adds up to an overall decent Android experience. 10.3 should make it even better.

Apparently 10.3 also has greater compatibility (as well as greater speed) : For example, people have reported that the latest versions of Candy Crush run on 10.3 even though they don't load on 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 05-25-14 at 03:06 PM.
    05-25-14 01:47 PM
    Very interesting.

I haven't figured out what you are yet (purist versus hater)... you are your own thing lol. Labels are usually silly anyhow.

As for an uptick in BlackBerry sales due to strong Android compatibility (compatibility was initially weak)... I think that would have been fair to expect in January 2013 when it launched.

But I doubt that even a BlackBerry that printed money would cause an uptick in sales at this point in the US. :/

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 02:03 PM
    If BlackBerry is ready for Android, why are there so many on CB complaining that companies are developing apps for Android instead being released first on BB10.

We can't have it both ways. If Android is a feature of BB10 then we need to accept that native apps aren't going for be developed for BB10 before Android.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-25-14 06:23 PM
    If BlackBerry is ready for Android, why are there so many on CB complaining that companies are developing apps for Android instead being released first on BB10.

We can't have it both ways. If Android is a feature of BB10 then we need to accept that native apps aren't going for be developed for BB10 before Android.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Many people here have not let go of the vision of BlackBerry as the third major phone platform even though BlackBerry itself has.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-25-14 06:40 PM
    Apple has no agreement with Google, in fact the two companies are hostile. Yet, Google builds each of its apps for iOS.

Pure financial interest. If BB10 had marketshare, Google would do the same on BB10.

Google could cut any deal it wants with BlackBerry to do the same for BB10. It would hardly require any effort on Google's part to make its apps available.

As stated above, they will not expend the time/money/resources on a platform that has a microscopic marketshare. Nor do I find that surprising.

Bill Gates once famously said that even if people in China were using pirated copies of Microsoft products, he'd rather they'd have those on their computers than the competition's products. And while he will probably not ever make the same kind of unguarded statement again, it demonstrates that he understands that even if you do not get direct revenue from a certain constituency of users, the expansion of the ecosystem, in the end, will increase your profits. And surely Google is not only well-aware of this, their business-model centers on it. So-called "free" things that are not actually free at all.

It seems to me that something is in the works.

At this point I think it's more like "Don't ask, Don't tell". Google doesn't mind the small additional exposure, BlackBerry benefits from additional platform appeal.

If BlackBerry's marketshare increases, that may change, especially if Google starts to see a significant number of people griping about poorly-performing Android apps on BB10, that they feel might undermine their reputation.

But I don't see that happening any time soon, just like I don't foresee BlackBerry agreeing to all the OHA requirements. (Which include things like "Must have Android logo show on the display during every device boot". As-If. Ain't gonna happen unless BlackBerry switches to Android.)
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-25-14 06:44 PM
    As far as Indonesia goes, the Z3's Adreno 305 GPU seems to allow it to run Android with similar performance (on basic apps like Instagram etc...) to the Z30 (as far as user experience goes).

The main thing that people report about Android apps on the Z3 is that they launch faster. I fail to see how the GPU has much to do with that.
    05-25-14 06:51 PM
    First, Android apps run on the Dalvik virtual machine running on a (modified) Linux OS on all Android devices (as we've discussed at length in another thread), so the "Sharing resources with another OS" does not make Android slower on BB10 since all Android apps do the same thing (Dalvik + Linux on Android devices versus Dalvik + QNX on BB10). It is technically possible to get Android to run as fast on BB10 as any Android phone (with equal specs). They aren't there yet though.

Not only do Android apps have to share hardware resources (RAM, graphics, access to network/storage bandwidth, etc.), I'm still fairly sure that developing the entire Android platform as a unified group that has Dalvik highly-integrated with the underlying OS can be much more optimized than when you have a platform which (not surprisingly) is going to be developed to prioritize its performance with its own native apps. BlackBerry would be insane to optimize their kernel and OS for Android runtime performance at the expense of native services and native app performance.

Omnitech, are you surprised that Android 4.3 is already supported on 10.3? In that earlier thread you gave the impression that it may take years for BlackBerry to get to the next version of Android since they don't have the 1000s of developers dedicated to Android that Google has.

4.3 is an incremental bump to what was in the runtime before. What people were talking about previously was "ART", which is a different runtime architecture and presumably would require more development resources to integrate. In addition, Google themselves say that ART will affect app compatibility, so making ART the default runtime would not be something to be taken lightly, it's only available as a developer option in KitKat after all.

Personally what I'd like to see is have the next step for the BB10 runtime going to 4.4.1 - the version just before they removed App Ops.

Apparently 10.3 (which now supports Jelly Bean 4.3) is drastically faster than the 10.2.1 runtime.

I'm not inclined to assume that the performance improvements are solely a matter of an Android version bump.

Second, it turns out that many Indonesians are buying the Z3 specifically because it's a BlackBerry with Android compatibility and a low price (particularly students).

Check out the thread on Z3 sales in Indonesia to get some info from some native Indonesians (living in Indonesia) on this subject.

I have dozens of Z3 threads here on my subscription list, including that one, probably. And several I started.
    05-25-14 07:04 PM
    If there is more android on the phones that might possibly persuade a few due to more apps.....but equally it will lose some die hard Blackberry lovers who don't actually want anything at all android on their Blackberry.
    I find it really hard to believe that a BlackBerry user would drop the brand simply for that.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    05-25-14 07:19 PM
    Not only do Android apps have to share hardware resources (RAM, graphics, access to network/storage bandwidth, etc.), I'm still fairly sure that developing the entire Android platform as a unified group that has Dalvik highly-integrated with the underlying OS can be much more optimized than when you have a platform which (not surprisingly) is going to be developed to prioritize its performance with its own native apps. BlackBerry would be insane to optimize their kernel and OS for Android runtime performance at the expense of native services and native app performance.

---

4.3 is an incremental bump to what was in the runtime before. What people were talking about previously was "ART", which is a different runtime architecture and presumably would require more development resources to integrate. In addition, Google themselves say that ART will affect app compatibility, so making ART the default runtime would not be something to be taken lightly, it's only available as a developer option in KitKat after all.

Personally what I'd like to see is have the next step for the BB10 runtime going to 4.4.1 - the version just before they removed App Ops.

---

I'm not inclined to assume that the performance improvements are solely a matter of an Android version bump.

---

I have dozens of Z3 threads here on my subscription list, including that one, probably. And several I started.
    Why would BlackBerry prioritize native apps over Android apps? If a loyal BlackBerry user starts an Android app then they expect that app to get priority. Why would BlackBerry disregard their own (and incredibly valuable) users' choices about what apps they want to run and sacrifice their users' experience?

Do you have some proof of this? If not, it's just spreading uncertainty and doubt about Android on BB10.

ART is open source just like Dalvik. The code is freely available for BlackBerry to use and examine.

Also, it will be a long time before Dalvik goes away. Until then, ART will be an option but not the default (you even pointed out that some apps are not yet compatible with ART).

So far there are no apps that only run on ART and don't run on Dalvik. Until the vast majority of Android phones are running ART (which requires Android 4.4 Kit Kat), Dalvik will be able to run any APK. How long until the vast majority of Android phones are running Kit Kat or higher? It will most likely take quite a while for the majority of Android users to upgrade to a Kit Kat (or higher device).

As of May 1, 2014, it is estimated that only 8.5% of Android devices were running Kit Kat. (based on Google Play access, data source: android.com)

So is BB10 ready for Android to be an official feature?-android_historical_version_distribution_-_vector.jpg

KitKat is the orange triangle in bottom right-hand corner.

Developers aren't going to write apps that require a runtime that isn't installed on the majority of Android phones in the market.

The longevity of Dalvik should give BlackBerry more than ample time to incorporate the freely available ART code, just as they did with Dalvik.

As for the GPU helping Android apps: it appears that many Android apps are more GPU bound than CPU bound.

Finally, I never said I believed Android apps run faster on 10.3 because it uses Android 4.3.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 05-26-14 at 12:00 AM.
    05-25-14 07:22 PM
    Pure financial interest. If BB10 had marketshare, Google would do the same on BB10.

As stated above, they will not expend the time/money/resources on a platform that has a microscopic marketshare. Nor do I find that surprising.

Bill Gates once famously said that even if people in China were using pirated copies of Microsoft products, he'd rather they'd have those on their computers than the competition's products. And while he will probably not ever make the same kind of unguarded statement again, it demonstrates that he understands that even if you do not get direct revenue from a certain constituency of users, the expansion of the ecosystem, in the end, will increase your profits. And surely Google is not only well-aware of this, their business-model centers on it. So-called "free" things that are not actually free at all.

At this point I think it's more like "Don't ask, Don't tell". Google doesn't mind the small additional exposure, BlackBerry benefits from additional platform appeal.

If BlackBerry's marketshare increases, that may change, especially if Google starts to see a significant number of people griping about poorly-performing Android apps on BB10, that they feel might undermine their reputation.

But I don't see that happening any time soon, just like I don't foresee BlackBerry agreeing to all the OHA requirements. (Which include things like "Must have Android logo show on the display during every device boot". As-If. Ain't gonna happen unless BlackBerry switches to Android.)
    Deals get done when each side has something the other wants. There are many things BlackBerry might have that Google could want and vice versa.

Again, BlackBerry does not have to join the OHA because BB10 is not Android.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 07:30 PM
    Again, BlackBerry does not have to join the OHA because BB10 is not Android.

People here are constantly clamoring for Google Play and all the other Google frameworks and apps that depend on them.

In order for those things to be available on BB10, BlackBerry would have to join the OHA.

Not going to happen.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-25-14 07:33 PM
    The Dalvik virtual machine on BB10 uses modified open source code from the Android Open Source Project and is compiled into a native QNX program. As a native QNX program, Dalvik gets just as much priority as any other native QNX application.

QNX is designed to support all of the programs it hosts. Whether the goal of a QNX program is to provide a Calendar, to play music, to provide an email client, or to provide an Android virtual machine, is irrelevant.

Why would BlackBerry give less priority to the native QNX Dalvik virtual machine, simply because it's particular goal is to execute Android applications?

Look up "Android Linux kernel", and you will find that number of changes made to Linux for use on Android is actually not huge, and are mostly changes because Android/Linux is meant to run on cell phones and not on desktops or servers (the domains Linux was initially designed to run).

This quote comes from linux.org :
    Many of you may be unaware of this, but Android is Linux. True, they are not quite the same, but Android is Linux. For example, Ubuntu is "GNU/Linux" while Android is "Dalvik/Linux". If an operating system uses the Linux kernel, then it is a Linux system. The userland (GNU and Dalvik) does not determine whether an OS is Linux or not. Android uses a modified Linux kernel. As we know, Android runs on phones. As you may remember from configuring the kernel, there were no drivers for phone devices (like small keypads, 3G/4G cards, SIM cards, etc.). The Linux kernel used in Android lacks drivers that would not be in phones and instead has drivers for phone devices. In other words, no Android system uses a Vanilla Kernel.

NOTE: Some people say "Android/Linux" instead of "Dalvik/Linux". However, both are valid.
    http://www.linux.org/threads/the-lin...-android.5459/

And this from elinux.org
    In the course of development, Google developers made some changes to the Linux kernel. The amount of changes is not extremely large, and is on the order of changes that are customarily made to the Linux kernel by embedded developers (approximately 250 patches, with about 3 meg. of differences in 25,000 lines).
    http://elinux.org/Android_Kernel_Features

Essentially, the primary changes to Linux on Android are changes needed because it is running on phones and not desktops.

It also appears that future versions of Android will close the gap even further between vanilla Linux and Android/Linux. This is from xda-developers.com :

Android sits atop the Linux kernel, but the ARM version usually lags behind a release or two when compared to the version used in desktop operating systems like Ubuntu and Arch. It now appears as if this situation will change, as commits available in AOSP repository on Github suggest that Google engineers are working hard on bringing the 3.14 kernel to Android.

This is rather surprising, considering that 3.14 is still not yet officially released, and it is currently only available as a release candidate. It appears that the Android kernel will finally match the revision on kernel.org. This move will reduce the mismatch between releases, and when these newest features are added to the Android kernel.
    http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...ally-possible/
    Last edited by mnc76; 05-26-14 at 12:46 AM.
    05-26-14 12:14 AM
    I find it really hard to believe that a BlackBerry user would drop the brand simply for that.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    One reason I got my first Blackberry was because it wasn't android. My first Blackberry replaced an android that randomly sent texts to anyone in the contact list, instead of the one I was in conversation with....good job I don't talk about people behind their backs. I would be having a text conversation with one person.....and I would end with dozens of texts coming in from various contacts asking me what the text they had just received was all about. The phone had antivirus running on it all the time, yet it needed constant attention because of bugs. It would do the most ridiculus things. Possibly a faulty phone, possibly faulty software, possibly a virus....who knows. But it was the only phone I have owned that I couldn't trust, and that I hated with a passion. So yes.....some might not like android on their phones. I chose Blackberry and want to keep a Blackberry......not a Blackberry / android hybrid.
    05-26-14 04:23 AM
    Most important produxticity app/ assistant doesn't work whoch is really annoying

They should be taking notes from this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.easilydo

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 07:52 AM
    Honestly I don't mind as long as we get the full Google services treatment not some half *** solution

Lots of games and apps require Google service connectivity to be able to download additional data which obviously renders them useless on our BlackBerry
    05-26-14 08:06 AM
    Most important produxticity app/ assistant doesn't work whoch is really annoying

They should be taking notes from this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.easilydo

Posted via CB10
    Seems to work.

So is BB10 ready for Android to be an official feature?-img_20140526_091109.png

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 08:12 AM
    One reason I got my first Blackberry was because it wasn't android. My first Blackberry replaced an android that randomly sent texts to anyone in the contact list, instead of the one I was in conversation with....good job I don't talk about people behind their backs. I would be having a text conversation with one person.....and I would end with dozens of texts coming in from various contacts asking me what the text they had just received was all about. The phone had antivirus running on it all the time, yet it needed constant attention because of bugs. It would do the most ridiculus things. Possibly a faulty phone, possibly faulty software, possibly a virus....who knows. But it was the only phone I have owned that I couldn't trust, and that I hated with a passion. So yes.....some might not like android on their phones. I chose Blackberry and want to keep a Blackberry......not a Blackberry / android hybrid.
    I have had a software problems with my Android and BlackBerry but not with my iphone (spouse's). Every platform will have bugs including iOS.

BB10 is truly a fantastic OS but unless you have multiple devices or are addicted to the physical keyboard having a great OS is not enough. BlackBerry has to start their own android app store. If Amazon can do that why not BlackBerry ?
    Those who do not want to use the Android app can choose not to. All of my Android apps are working fine and I am amazed at how much I like my Z10.
    05-26-14 10:42 AM
    I have had a software problems with my Android and BlackBerry but not with my iphone (spouse's). Every platform will have bugs including iOS.

BB10 is truly a fantastic OS but unless you have multiple devices or are addicted to the physical keyboard having a great OS is not enough. BlackBerry has to start their own android app store. If Amazon can do that why not BlackBerry ?
    Those who do not want to use the Android app can choose not to. All of my Android apps are working fine and I am amazed at how much I like my Z10.
    They have their own android app store. Problem is not many submitted a port. Think any more will if it isn't BBworld.
    05-26-14 11:10 AM
    Not talking about ports. Just Android
    Apps. I have tried some ported apps and they did not run as well as the Android version using runtime.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 01:38 PM
326 ... 7891011 ...