05-31-14 09:22 PM
326 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Isn't the biggest problem the lack of integration with Google play services? I mean being notified any other minute that Google play services stopped working is more than annoying and pretty much destroys the whole android experience...

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-24-14 04:56 AM
    A workaround to get a competitor's apps still means that BlackBerry still hasn't got the apps consumers are used to seeing on iPhones and Android devices. They're still not in BBW. So no, this is not an answer for me.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    Given the excitement on here when Amazon and Snap became available, and the endless threads on Android apps it clearly is a big step forward for a great many.
    05-24-14 08:22 AM
    Given the excitement on here when Amazon and Snap became available, and the endless threads on Android apps it clearly is a big step forward for a great many.
    It is, for a great many. But there are some like me who choose to not put Android apps on our BB. So the excitement is not universal.

I like Android apps, on my SGIII.

It is a workaround to the unavailability of apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    05-24-14 08:28 AM
    It is, for a great many. But there are some like me who choose to not put Android apps on our BB. So the excitement is not universal.

I like Android apps, on my SGIII.

It is a workaround to the unavailability of apps.

Of course it's a workaround. But look at the top of the page, where it says "most popular". People want apps. They're not on BBW. So this is ashortcut. If it stimulates sales, that's the point.
    05-24-14 08:41 AM
    Have you tried 1mobile?

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    I thought you were saying that BBW was good enough.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 09:18 AM
    Here is my situation right now. Trying to get a decent golf app. I have tried golf logix and Golfshot gps. Both install fine but I can't actually log into the golf logix app and the Golfshot app demo worked awesome but the trial expired to I can't get a subscription to the app.

It is very frustrating. So being "android ready" means nothing if you love golf.

I have droidgolf from BlackBerry App World but it's not very good.

As a side note, not being able to connect my clash of clans account is also very frustrating.

So I don't really think it is a great idea to advertise being android ready if the top apps don't work.

Posted via CB10
    Why can't you just buy the golf shot subscription through amazon? I have purchased many paid apps through them.

Posted via CB10

Edit: added picture...

Attachment 273332
    Last edited by tmf06; 05-24-14 at 10:02 AM.
    05-24-14 09:32 AM
    Of course it's a workaround. But look at the top of the page, where it says "most popular". People want apps. They're not on BBW. So this is ashortcut. If it stimulates sales, that's the point.
    Absolutely agree that it will stimulate sales. And all for increased sales. My point, addressing a specific post, is that this is not a solution that would universally fix the app gap for everyone. That is my point, this is not a solution to the problem; rather, it is a workaround for those who choose to put Android apps, from various sources, on their BlackBerry devices.

05-24-14 10:34 AM
    Absolutely agree that it will stimulate sales. And all for increased sales. My point, addressing a specific post, is that this is not a solution that would universally fix the app gap for everyone. That is my point, this is not a solution to the problem; rather, it is a workaround for those who choose to put Android apps, from various sources, on their BlackBerry devices.

Ooh just figured out how to quote from the CB app....ha ha, I'm proud of myself.

Anyway, yes absolutely agree. It's not a solution no. It's possible it makes a solution more likely that's all.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 10:45 AM
    Ooh just figured out how to quote from the CB app....ha ha, I'm proud of myself.

Anyway, yes absolutely agree. It's not a solution no. It's possible it makes a solution more likely that's all.

Posted via CB10

Ha! Took me forever my first time!!!:-)

05-24-14 11:03 AM

Then for BB10 purists there is either no gap or no solution.

Seems like Android Apps were always under consideration:

August 2011: Bloomberg reports that the next-gen phones will support Android apps when they debut in "early" 2012. Rumors circulate about a BlackBerry device codenamed "Colt," intended to debut in the first quarter of 2012.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 05-24-14 at 04:51 PM.
    05-24-14 12:52 PM
    People want big Apps from big companies and studios. They don't want apps made by students in community colleges.

BlackBerry tried and failed to develop it's own ecosystem. If BlackBerry can sell phones in volume it may try to do this again. Until then, this is a necessary step.

Posted via CB10
    I meant BlackBerry could cultivate a pool of BlackBerry 10 developers from amongst the community college students who'd presumably take their skills to companies developing mobile applications, for instance, and encouraging their employers to include BlackBerry 10 specific versions.
    05-24-14 03:02 PM

Android apps are just meant to bridge them until they get more native apps in BlackBerry World. Not all android apps work well, but of the 11 I personally downloaded, 10 work perfectly. The 11th crashed on the loading screen. My point is that not all is lost for everyone that uses android apps. Many if then work well and are not a huge step down from native.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 05:40 PM
    I can't believe I'm reading serious suggestions that sponging from Google is going to save this company.

There are already NO top-drawer development shops working in BB10. This is not going to encourage anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    05-25-14 02:22 AM
    They r probably referring primarily to android ports that are available in BlackBerry world. I doubt they would be marketing the ability to do it urself through apps like snap, as they couldn't guarantee every app would work

Posted via CB10
    Huh? 98% of Android apps are not available in BlackBerry World.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    05-25-14 02:38 AM
    What about Nokia X?

"Nokia X smartphones are your Fastlane to Android Apps. Available in a luscious array of colours, with durable Nokia build quality. Find the one for you below."

Nokia X products - Nokia
    Yup. And the Nokia X does not support Google Play Services either.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 03:19 AM
    I can't believe I'm reading serious suggestions that sponging from Google is going to save this company.

There are already NO top-drawer development shops working in BB10. This is not going to encourage anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    Unfortunately, NOT having Android compatibility isn't going to encourage anyone to develop for BB10 either until BB10 gets a bigger marketshare. At least having Android compatibility gives consumers the possibility of getting those 3 or 4 absolute must-have-or-won't-buy-this-bb10-phone apps.

It takes away a reason for people NOT to buy a BB10 phone which could in turn increase marketshare.

There are still some people that want what BlackBerry phones offer, but not at the expense of their must-have apps.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    05-25-14 03:24 AM
    This will take a agreement between Google and BlackBerry to make it happen.

Not going to happen. The kinds of requirements that Google demands now to gain access to all their frameworks and apps are so high that to a company like BlackBerry with a competitive platform, it would be the kiss of death. The only time it will happen is if they give up and sell the company to Samsung or something and switch to Android.

With ota apk installs BlackBerry has basically given users a 'jail broken' phone out of the box
    It is in no way equivalent to a jailbroken phone. Users still have NO root access either to native BB10 data/OS or to the Android runtime.

Do we really need Google Services though? I think we do because more and more apps integrate it. The real question is can that kind of deal happen? I doubt Samsung would be happy if Google gave BlackBerry a pass and let BlackBerry into the club. As a result, my guess is that Google Services will never be supported on BlackBerry .

It will never be because Google's requirements now are too extreme for a competitive platform-owner to agree to.

Nor do I personally want anything to do with all of Google's pernicious and invasive frameworks on my BlackBerries. If I wanted to signup for hoovering myself fully into the GooglePlex, I would have forgotten about BlackBerry years ago and just bought an Android device.
    05-25-14 03:36 AM
    The huge difference there was that, in order to run Windows on a Mac, you had to actually go BUY a licensed full copy of Windows. Also, once you did so, Windows apps were available in a completely open market - Google's Play Store is NOT completely open - it is specifically tied to official Google-certified Android devices.

That's a valid point but many of those apps have no associated retail price - unlike the Windows OS itself - and in-app advertising still works for Android APK-installed apps on BB10 so neither Google nor the Android app developers are going to lose money on a free app install on the BB10 platform compared to installing the same app on a native Android device.

Furthermore, the vast majority of apps on Google Play are free, it's a well-known fact that "free apps" are one of the top reasons and perhaps the #1 reason that Android has been popular in the developing world.

In a market like Indonesia, Android has decimated BlackBerry marketshare over the last year or two. This is why it's no surprise to me that they are making this Android initiative there.

Whether it's a viable or useful strategy in developed western markets is another matter. I'd argue it is far less important in a place like the USA than it is in a place like Indonesia, where 40% of the populace lives on <$2.00 USD per day.

With all due respect, Blackberry claiming it is legal means nothing. Companies disagree with the legality of issues all the time.

None of us here know what talks may or may not have occurred between BlackBerry and Google. For all we know, they have explicit permission from them.

After a series of legal battles MS and Apple came into a broad cross-license agreement which also included IE as the default desktop browser for Mac which cut the legs out from under Netscape and MS pledged to provide Office.

You contradict your own link. The main reason Microsoft got those concessions from Apple is because they threw $150 Million at them. And that was largely because if Apple was forced out of business by Microsoft (clear possibility at that point of their history), it would have cost Microsoft way more than $150 Million in terms of regulatory scrutiny and lost business if Apple's demise resulted in them being broken-up by the feds or something.
    05-25-14 03:40 AM
    If there is more android on the phones that might possibly persuade a few due to more apps.....but equally it will lose some die hard Blackberry lovers who don't actually want anything at all android on their Blackberry.
    05-25-14 03:47 AM
    I think BlackBerry should start with improving the runtime so it Isn't laggy.. we have had 3 new runtime in the last year and apps still lag compared to gingerbread. They need apps to be fast! Very fast. And sofar I think its easy, they seem to think everything else is easy, why can't this be?

Great logic: "they seem to think everything else is easy.." LOL.

I've asked for a faster runtime since day one, and yes it has improved but it's far from comparable and tolerable to the general public who buy these phones.

That doesn't simply happen with a wave of the magic wand. When you have to share hardware resources with another complete OS and all its apps and processes and data-transfer bandwidth and storage bandwidth, it's not quite so simple. If it was, we would probably have seen a bunch of "dual OS" devices all over the marketplace already.

id love Google services on my Z10, weather I have to pay for it or not.. people need that, people need the apps to buy BB10, I can't stress it enough!

And *I* can't stress enough that if I wanted that garbage anywhere near *my* devices, I would have given up on BlackBerry years ago and just bought an Android. Sure would have made life a lot simpler on the technology front, I'll tell you that.

...well the way BlackBerry could agree on terms with could finalize in a sale of the Google services package within BlackBerry World or even on the startup/setup of your device, a window may pop up asking if you would like to buy android services so you can use your android features to the fullest.

That's kind of like expecting to have a little button you press when you first get into your new Prius, for only $59.95 you can have a "600 horsepower option" that gives you the ability to accelerate 0-60mph in 3 seconds, too. You don't just "add on" something to a completely different product because the technology and licensing and development and physical requirements to optimize for each of them are very very different.

If there's an Android app you absolutely HAVE to have, that's likely because you're already ON Android. OTOH, if you're on an old legacy BlackBerry, and want to move to something more modern, which presents the more appealing alternative: an Android phone? Or a new BlackBerry that can still run almost all of the Android catalog?

ETA: By the way, have you considered that the reason the Z3 launched in Indonesia is because it's MORE COMPETITIVE in that market than it would be in North America?

Good points.

Slicing and dicing Android compatibility is far less of an issue for this product than if it was ONLY an Android product. If every person in Indonesia really just wanted Android functionality more than anything else, they'd probably not be even considering a BlackBerry, they'd just go buy one of the 300-something or however many versions of Android devices available to them there.

Next thing you know people will claim that Indonesians want their next smartphone to include a 42" HDTV and a microwave oven, too.
    05-25-14 03:49 AM
    If there is more android on the phones that might possibly persuade a few due to more apps.....but equally it will lose some die hard Blackberry lovers who don't actually want anything at all android on their Blackberry.

And the cool thing about that - as it is currently implemented - is you can have essentially a completely Android-free BlackBerry if you so choose.

Don't direct install any APK Android apps, and don't install any Android app ports from BlackBerry World, and the Android runtime won't even start when you boot the phone. Voila: Android-free BlackBerry. More memory and storage for native apps.
    afl777 likes this.
    05-25-14 03:52 AM
    Let's also remember that android apps don't run headless or do notifications very well.
    I don't know where you got that notion, but Android apps ran headless on BB10 long before native BB10 apps ran headless.

Notifications are another matter. BB10 obviously does not allow anyone to create "widgets" on a "desktop" and does not contain a customizable "tray" or "bar" like Android does, so there are limits to how far BB10 will ever replicate Android notifications precisely.

About a year ago, Google started enforcing a rule that any device released that was Google-certified had to be using the latest version of Android as of 6 months prior. That means any device released today has to have at LEAST 4.3 on it, and it won't be long before 4.4 is the requirement.
    Which is one of the reasons why I don't think BlackBerry will ever agree to join the OHA. May as well just take their toys and go home if they're going to be subject to all of Google's requirements for that now.

BTW: Nokia X devices apparently are only running Jellybean 4.1.2. And yes, I know they are not part of the OHA.

Maybe BlackBerry could team-up with community colleges in Canada, to start, to provide training focused on BlackBerry OS 10 applications.
    I believe they've been doing this since 2012, and not just in Canada.
    05-25-14 03:58 AM
    Why can't you just buy the golf shot subscription through amazon? I have purchased many paid apps through them.

Posted via CB10

Edit: added picture...

Attachment 273332
    Mainly because i don't want to spend $30 if the app doesn't work or just stops working because of updates. I'm more comfortable with the new version that has a subscription model.

What's really crappy is I finally got golf logix to recognize me account, so I loaded it up to play and now it can't access the gps. Had that problem before 10.2.1, but. Now I guess it's back. Very disappointing.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    05-25-14 07:58 AM

It will never be because Google's requirements now are too extreme for a competitive platform-owner to agree to.

Nor do I personally want anything to do with all of Google's pernicious and invasive frameworks on my BlackBerries. If I wanted to signup for hoovering myself fully into the GooglePlex, I would have forgotten about BlackBerry years ago and just bought an Android device.
    Because BB10 is another platform is the reason it is possible.

Apple has no agreement with Google, in fact the two companies are hostile. Yet, Google builds each of its apps for iOS.

Google could cut any deal it wants with BlackBerry to do the same for BB10. It would hardly require any effort on Google's part to make its apps available. Google views Android as a gateway to its services, nothing more. It really doesn't care what platform it's services are running on.

Google apps are a big draw for many people. Some people don't want Google in their business. It may be that Google might agree to put it's apps in App world but not agree to Google Play access.

BlackBerry is taking the time to make some Google Apps work better: 10.3 SDK apparently expressly enables Google Earth to render in 3d. BB10 sees Android browsers like Chrome as substitutes for the native browser as a default choice. It seems to me that something is in the works.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 08:20 AM
    Again, people are posting as hardened BlackBerry fans. It's not about the likes of us who post on here, you're talking about a level of detail that most people don't go near to. Some of the stuff people write on here is way above my head too. I'm not interested and I don't care. And if I don't care, the average user cares even less.

I like BlackBerry phones, but I'm not a fanatic. The lack of apps that I want was a real issue, and I was considering going elsewhere. That I can access most Android apps made a big difference and I ended up getting a z30. I don't massively care that they're not native, I just want them to bloody work. If a few are missing, I don't care about that either. I don't care that Google Services limits how well some of them work. I hadn't even heard of Google Services till I read this thread.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    05-25-14 08:25 AM
326 ... 678910 ...