05-31-14 10:22 PM
326 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Why spend extra money on an Android?

I'm afraid that I would no longer support a company that relies on Android to stay afloat. It makes no sense other than for popular vote. I didn't buy into BlackBerry for Android. I'm really hoping the runtime fades away after the app gap is filled.

emPowered by ?
    It will when that gap is filled. Built for BlackBerry apps are more stable and secure. If the same apps are available in a Built for BlackBerry version why would anyone want the Android version.

I think the issue will be when or if that gap is filled.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    05-21-14 12:38 AM
    Worth remembering that in a lot of developing markets the "cheap Androids" that the Z3 is competing with don't tend to be Google Play Services-certified. They tend to run an even lower percentage of Android apps than the Z3 does.
    That's mostly only true in China and North Korea. The value of Google's services are too high not to include them, and a lot of companies that were making non-Google-certified devices 2 years ago, only to have them not sell well, are now fully Google-certified, because that's what the market demands.

Google services are blocked by Chinese and NK governments, making it far less of an issue for devices intended to be sold in those markets.
    JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    05-21-14 01:27 AM
    I really do think that if BlackBerry's were an authorized android device and had google services and play store many people would come back to BlackBerry.

If you could run android apps flawlessly then why not? Google probably wants everyone to buy a nexus but they certify all the other manufacturers as android. BlackBerry needs to make a deal.

If the market share grows it may entice app developers to make native apps again. Some of the people trying out the new blackberry (which in my scenario could be marketed as a new android capable/compatible device) will discover native apps and BlackBerry security and may choose themselves to limit their Android use.

Just as a disclaimer. I have no proof of anything I'm saying.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    05-21-14 02:33 AM
    I really do think that if BlackBerry's were an authorized android device and had google services and play store many people would come back to BlackBerry.

If you could run android apps flawlessly then why not? Google probably wants everyone to buy a nexus but they certify all the other manufacturers as android. BlackBerry needs to make a deal.

If the market share grows it may entice app developers to make native apps again. Some of the people trying out the new blackberry (which in my scenario could be marketed as a new android capable/compatible device) will discover native apps and BlackBerry security and may choose themselves to limit their Android use.

Just as a disclaimer. I have no proof of anything I'm saying.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    It's a dilemma. Striking a deal with Google will drain BlackBerry into an inescapable pit. Nobody wants to build 2 apps for the exact same device. If your app is available in Google Play Store, why bother making one for BlackBerry World if they are loaded in the exact same device and can run equally well?

What BlackBerry need to do is try to get the devs on board, and provide replacements for critical services such as Facebook connect.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    LuvULongTime and Omnitech like this.
    05-21-14 03:05 AM
    There are 1.2 million apps on google play.

http://www.appbrain.com/stats/number-of-android-apps

2 percent is 24000 apps.

I completely believe the million or so less sophisticated apps found on google play works perfectly fine on our BB10.

98% app compatibility makes perfect sense to me. Sure within those 2% or 24000 apps there are many key ones but I dont think john chen is BSing or lying at all.

When you sell a phone like Z3 to a market like indonesia 98% android app compatibility is exactly what they need to near. For now.

I respect what john chen is doing, they are far more aggressive than any management that came before them.

To survive the consumer device market BlackBerry needs apps, to get apps they need to sell phones.

Solution? Use android runtime as a temporary measure to entice the consumer market to buy phones then once a decent user base is established, persuade developers to develop native versions of their app. This has been said before countless times so why question it again?

Most google apps work BTW. You can use them but may not be able to log in thanks to google services. Can you watch videos on youtube on BB10? Yes you can. Can I use google maps to search and navigate? Yes you can. Point is you can use them. But you know what? I dont really care for google apps. If I did id buy a google phone. Very simple.

Use logic before emotions.

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    Last edited by Q10Nutter; 05-21-14 at 05:39 AM.
    Omnitech likes this.
    05-21-14 04:54 AM
    That's mostly only true in China and North Korea. The value of Google's services are too high not to include them, and a lot of companies that were making non-Google-certified devices 2 years ago, only to have them not sell well, are now fully Google-certified, because that's what the market demands.

Google services are blocked by Chinese and NK governments, making it far less of an issue for devices intended to be sold in those markets.
    Thanks for that insight troy. So does that mean xiao mii, oppo and all the up and coming chinese homegrown phone makers dont get google services even in their own local markets? Even on their super high end devices?

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    05-21-14 04:57 AM
    It's a dilemma. Striking a deal with Google will drain BlackBerry into an inescapable pit. Nobody wants to build 2 apps for the exact same device. If your app is available in Google Play Store, why bother making one for BlackBerry World if they are loaded in the exact same device and can run equally well?

What BlackBerry need to do is try to get the devs on board, and provide replacements for critical services such as Facebook connect.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    BB need to sell phones. Simple as that. Without doing so nothing is possible. If promoting them as offering Android apps helps them sell the devices, then they can deal with the issue of native apps later. There are a number of different issues here, but selling handsets is the absolute priority.
    05-21-14 06:30 AM
    BB need to sell phones. Simple as that. Without doing so nothing is possible. If promoting them as offering Android apps helps them sell the devices, then they can deal with the issue of native apps later. There are a number of different issues here, but selling handsets is the absolute priority.
    Exactly.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    05-21-14 07:46 AM
    For the first time, I see the light at the end of the tunnel with the Android runtime. It is starting to work well both in terms of compatibility and performance. I'm talking about 10.3 here.

There are two big obstacles. One is delivery. The other is the Google Services issue.

If you think about what BlackBerry is trying to accomplish under Chen, I think you will agree that BlackBerry has no real interest in being in the App business. At most, it may be a necessary evil.

I have been assuming for a long time that BlackBerry would be striking a deal with someone. That has not yet happened but the runtime has not really been good enough up until now (10.3) to make it a satisfactory experience.

The Apps are not coming to App World. Look at Netflix. It has worked great in BB10 for a long time now. All Netflix needs to do is say "okay" and that would be done. It hasn't happened. So, some deal will be struck with someone. We will see some kind of third-party app store preloaded.

Do we really need Google Services though? I think we do because more and more apps integrate it. The real question is can that kind of deal happen? I doubt Samsung would be happy if Google gave BlackBerry a pass and let BlackBerry into the club. As a result, my guess is that Google Services will never be supported on BlackBerry .

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 08:29 AM
    It's about time. I guess BlackBerry has decided to start the process of coming out of the closet.
    05-21-14 08:40 AM
    Selling devices on half promises only drives people away. Someone interested in Android apps will purchase a Samsung, HTC, Moto, or any other of the multiple options out there that would give them 100%, not a "dead" brand that requires extra hoops.

If BlackBerry wants to sell they need to give people a reason to use THEIR product, not a ride on someone else's coattails.

Prior to the iPod, Apple was hated and never considered. Changing the minds of the masses is what's needed, not Android.

emPowered by ?
    05-21-14 08:54 AM
    Selling devices on half promises only drives people away. Someone interested in Android apps will purchase a Samsung, HTC, Moto, or any other of the multiple options out there that would give them 100%, not a "dead" brand that requires extra hoops.

If BlackBerry wants to sell they need to give people a reason to use THEIR product, not a ride on someone else's coattails.

Prior to the iPod, Apple was hated and never considered. Changing the minds of the masses is what's needed, not Android.

emPowered by ?
    Most people don't care. They really don't. They want the apps, and this gives them the apps. They couldn't care less about most of the stuff that people go on about on here. It's not a half promise, it gives them what they want. If they sell the phones, all the other stuff can be dealt with. You're not seeing the wood for the trees.
    05-21-14 08:58 AM
    Attachment 271984

The Z3 is being touted as being Android Ready

BlackBerry 10 Can Run 98% Of All Android Apps According To Chen | N4BB

And Chen is saying that BB10 can run 98% of Android Apps.

Do you think they are about to announce something? Or is this just some lose marketing?
    Hello All BB users and Fans,

Since this is the top trending thread, I thought to seek help for the the common good of BB , BB users and Fans.
    If you are a BB fan then, kindly visit the below thread to pour in your views and if you like to kindly support the thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/armchai...les-ad-932750/

I promise that the above thread's intention is not to spoil the party, but is to keep the party going on.. thank you
    05-21-14 09:16 AM
    Most people don't care. They really don't. They want the apps, and this gives them the apps. They couldn't care less about most of the stuff that people go on about on here. It's not a half promise, it gives them what they want. If they sell the phones, all the other stuff can be dealt with. You're not seeing the wood for the trees.
    It is a half promise when it requires extra steps. People don't want said apps that much. If they have to work at it, they will go elsewhere. You're not seeing that BlackBerry users don't want Android phones.

I'm all for filling the app gap but when all is said and done, I want a BlackBerry that offers something more than the rest.

emPowered by ?
    05-21-14 09:22 AM
    It is a half promise when it requires extra steps. People don't want said apps that much. If they have to work at it, they will go elsewhere. You're not seeing that BlackBerry users don't want Android phones.

I'm all for filling the app gap but when all is said and done, I want a BlackBerry that offers something more than the rest.

emPowered by ?
    Essentially a single step in downloading 1Mobile or Amazon App Store. Hardly an imposition, and something the store ought to do themselves - besides which, if BB have any sense they'll pre-install.

You're completely contradicting yourself with this statement: "If they have to work at it, they will go elsewhere.". Precisely, and they have done. Don't know if you've noticed, but BB market share has collapsed in a lot of markets, and apps are a pretty big part of the reason. Defending the core BB users who come to places like here is irrelevant, you'll have the best phone no-one ever buys. Once more, it's about getting people to purchase handsets. Without that, there is no Blackberry.
    05-21-14 09:26 AM
    Without a partnership with Google/Amazon/1mobile, BB is at the mercy of these companies. At any point in time any of these could decide to block access to their stores from BB10 phones and BB could do nothing about it.

This is a sad day that BB is at the mercy of another app ecosystem to save their own.
    JeepBB and Moonbase0ne like this.
    05-21-14 09:37 AM
    Its not only in Indonesia and it's not only the Z3. They are promoting it here in the Middle East As well. Let me show you a catalogue being distributed here in Dubai.

So is BB10 ready for Android to be an official feature?-img_20140521_172619.jpg

So is BB10 ready for Android to be an official feature?-img_20140521_172738.jpg

So is BB10 ready for Android to be an official feature?-img_20140521_172756.jpg

As you can see.. they are educating the customers.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Omnitech like this.
    05-21-14 09:38 AM
    Without a partnership with Google/Amazon/1mobile, BB is at the mercy of these companies. At any point in time any of these could decide to block access to their stores from BB10 phones and BB could do nothing about it.

This is a sad day that BB is at the mercy of another app ecosystem to save their own.
    You don't think they already are? What do you imagine is the problem when developers won't produce native apps for BBW?
    05-21-14 09:39 AM
    Its not only in Indonesia and it's not only the Z3. They are promoting it here in the Middle East As well. Let me show you a catalogue being distributed here in Dubai.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140521_172619.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	272443

Name:	IMG_20140521_172738.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	272444

Name:	IMG_20140521_172756.jpg 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	272445

Posted via CB10
    Unless I missed it, they offer no instructions on how exactly to use/get android apps. I guarantee it 98% of users don't know how to get these apps.
    05-21-14 09:44 AM

Name:	IMG_20140521_172619.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	272443

Name:	IMG_20140521_172738.jpg 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	272444

Name:	IMG_20140521_172756.jpg 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	272445

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. This deserves its own thread IMO.
    05-21-14 09:51 AM
    I definitely don't know how to, sideload, frontload or angleload, I know upload and downloaded and am quite happy to install, uninstall, and reinstall.
    Anything after that is work business or study, and I may throw in a game or two.

jtvberry
    05-21-14 10:03 AM
    Essentially a single step in downloading 1Mobile or Amazon App Store. Hardly an imposition, and something the store ought to do themselves - besides which, if BB have any sense they'll pre-install.

You're completely contradicting yourself with this statement: "If they have to work at it, they will go elsewhere.". Precisely, and they have done. Don't know if you've noticed, but BB market share has collapsed in a lot of markets, and apps are a pretty big part of the reason. Defending the core BB users who come to places like here is irrelevant, you'll have the best phone no-one ever buys. Once more, it's about getting people to purchase handsets. Without that, there is no Blackberry.
    How did I contradict myself? It's been posted in reviews and comments around the net of people complaining of having to workaround to install Android. The same people who don't care don't like to put in any effort.

The ones that put up with it are BlackBerry users willing to go through it to use an app. To the general masses they will expect it to run out of the box. And no, it shouldn't be pre-installed.
    The runtime was for porting, not officially running Android apps.

Again, people won't buy BlackBerry simply to run Android. It just isn't practical. So what are you expecting to gain? Oh right, device sales to pissed off customers expecting an Android experience but will now go back to Samsung, etc. Further hurting BlackBerry.

emPowered by ?
    05-21-14 10:16 AM
    Thank you. This deserves its own thread IMO.

Agreed.

BB has overcome their previous reticence and is now putting the ability to run Android Apps front and centre... And not just in Indonesia.

A major change in direction IMO.

I still wonder if BB will be brave enough to bring the same marketing to Western markets... 😉

JBB
    05-21-14 10:17 AM
    Agreed.

BB has overcome their previous reticence and is now putting the ability to run Android Apps front and centre... And not just in Indonesia.

A major change in direction IMO.

I still wonder if BB will be brave enough to bring the same marketing to Western markets...

JBB
    Yes they are advertising that BB10 can run Android apps, but give no instructions on how to, probably because they can't oficially.

An efficient promoting of the feature would be: "Go to http://<random_site> to download Android apps". Discussing a featre and not instructing AVERAGE users how to use it is meaningless.
    05-21-14 10:23 AM
    I think BlackBerry is just half assen their development + marketing scheme. They advertise the ability to use android apps but have no license, programming and availability to apps. I think BlackBerry should start with improving the runtime so it Isn't laggy.. we have had 3 new runtime in the last year and apps still lag compared to gingerbread. They need apps to be fast! Very fast. And sofar I think its easy, they seem to think everything else is easy, why can't this be? I've asked for a faster runtime since day one, and yes it has improved but it's far from comparable and tolerable to the general public who buy these phones. After improving speed and structure, they need to find a way to agree with terms to including such markets in BB10 os as well as Google services, id love Google services on my Z10, weather I have to pay for it or not.. people need that, people need the apps to buy BB10, I can't stress it enough!
    Whatever it takes. There is the minority to that say, "no don't give me anything to do with google, I hate android. I don't want android on my BlackBerry" well the way BlackBerry could agree on terms with could finalize in a sale of the Google services package within BlackBerry World or even on the startup/setup of your device, a window may pop up asking if you would like to buy android services so you can use your android features to the fullest. Whatever the agreement is, I'd pay 10$ just to get my Google apps running properly!
    It needs to be done one way or the other, blackberry is just making an half assed runtime and then marketing and selling it.
    Disappointed to be honest

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 10:25 AM
326 ... 34567 ...