05-31-14 10:22 PM
326 ... 23456 ...
tools
    because right now if snap gets popular google may take action against it.
    Or at least try to. Yes, I agree with you on this.
    05-20-14 02:40 PM
    Or at least try to. Yes, I agree with you on this.
    Not like sue them or anything. Just make it so they can't access Google play apks anymore

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    05-20-14 02:42 PM
    After a series of legal battles MS and Apple came into a broad cross-license agreement which also included IE as the default desktop browser for Mac which cut the legs out from under Netscape and MS pledged to provide Office. This is why MS and Apple aren't suing each other for smartphone patents and also why there aren't any legal implications for facilitating dual booting or otherwise using Windows on Apple devices.
    OK, thanks for clarifying. I do remember IE [for MAC] now that you mention it. Again, at the time Apple was struggling to "turn things around." They were in serious doo doo back then and it was leadership and product design that grew the company back to health.
    jtv1 likes this.
    05-20-14 02:42 PM
    Not like sue them or anything. Just make it so they can't access Google play apks anymore

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Do you remember the PalmOS Itunes syncing battles with Apple? Thats where BB would be headed with Snap. Much better to come to an agreement with Amazon and provide their app.
    05-20-14 02:48 PM
    So, this IMO isn't a valid comparison - the situation is a lot different.
    Thank you. I'm not trying to make a comparison per se. I am trying to point to an example of a struggling company that created an environment designed to run a competitor's platform in duality with it's own as a Hail Mary Pass during it's struggling years .
    thisiscjay and anon1727506 like this.
    05-20-14 03:02 PM
    98% my arse. They might install but they won't work. Even IF it was accurate, that 2% is some of the most desired apps. (See: Google apps)
    05-20-14 05:57 PM
    Hold on a Sec
    What Are We Doing

Can Apple apps port into Android or visa versa, I don't know if they can, but am sure Apple won't do it for us while they fight in court with Samsung, I am hoping this isn't a shortcut to fame on the red carpet and I hope the carpet is stuck down with crazy glue
    05-20-14 07:23 PM
    They r probably referring primarily to android ports that are available in BlackBerry world. I doubt they would be marketing the ability to do it urself through apps like snap, as they couldn't guarantee every app would work

Posted via CB10
    No, they're referring to Android apps available from third party stores like Amazon and 1mobile. 10.2.1 runs APKs from these outlets just fine.
    05-20-14 07:49 PM
    98% my arse. They might install but they won't work. Even IF it was accurate, that 2% is some of the most desired apps. (See: Google apps)
    Worth remembering that in a lot of developing markets the "cheap Androids" that the Z3 is competing with don't tend to be Google Play Services-certified. They tend to run an even lower percentage of Android apps than the Z3 does.
    05-20-14 07:51 PM
    Worth remembering that in a lot of developing markets the "cheap Androids" that the Z3 is competing with don't tend to be Google Play Services-certified. They tend to run an even lower percentage of Android apps than the Z3 does.
    Score 5: Insightful
    05-20-14 07:55 PM
    Android apps are what is going to be save Blackberry. Just try to have an open mind. BlackBerry cannot win a frontal assault on google. No matter how you try to sell security, diversity as a personal use device is critical. I'm not necessarily saying an unlocked bootloader is the way to go but having google services available would give Samsung and HTC a run for their money. That is the only reason aside from marketing that is holding blackberry back.

Posted from Q10
    05-20-14 07:57 PM
    Android apps are what is going to be save Blackberry.

Posted from Q10
    Not in its current state, that's for sure.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-20-14 08:00 PM
    Phew, gosh it is getting confusing between what we are using from Android and what we are competing against.

jtvberry
    05-20-14 08:01 PM
    Ive tried installing google maps, earth, youtube and they all work fine. So whats the problem?

Ive uninstalled them now because I dont really need them.

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    05-20-14 08:03 PM
    Ive tried installing google maps, earth, youtube and they all work fine. So whats the problem?

Ive uninstalled them now because I dont really need them.

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    Yeah? How's logging into your YouTube account work? How do you save a place in Google Maps or add a photo? Save a map for offline use? Installing an app and it 'working' compared to working and fully functional is two entirely different things. Sure apps will install. Sure apps will run. But in most cases, they're NOT fully functional.
    JeepBB, mornhavon and MERCDROID like this.
    05-20-14 08:10 PM
    This was exactly the point of my earlier post from yesterday! Have you guys seen the crap being sold as "Android" devices in those parts if the world??

The term Android can be readily used without any legal ramification because the portion of Android running on BB10 are open source. BlackBerry has not signed any binding or restrictive agreement with Google. As long as they don't use a restricted trademark (Google, the android bot, the actual stylized android letter mark, etc), the mere mention of the fact that it can execute open source code is not legal grounds for anything.

I hope they don't chicken out of this marketing or wording, it's not any more misleading than 75% of most marketing out there, and definitely not illegal.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 08:36 PM

I hope they don't chicken out of this marketing or wording, it's not any more misleading than 75% of most marketing out there, and definitely not illegal.

Posted via CB10
    Misleading people in even the smallest way is NOT what BlackBerry needs. They've done enough of that in the past. If they're going to continue to work on the Android runtime then fine but in its currently available state it's not something that should be blasted to the masses. You can't just say something is Android compatible and then leave people to figure it out.

They need to have a solution for people to actually make use of. Download this, sideload that, enable this.. is NOT a solution. There needs to be a centralized spot for vetted, working apps in order for this to be successful. Every single day I get asked how to install Android apps on BlackBerry 10 and it should not be that way. That in itself is a problem. If people dunno how to do it then it's just as if it doesn't exist.

I'm not against installing Android apps. I'm not against BlackBerry working on it. I think it's a nice option and one that, eventually, will be great. However, I am against BlackBerry pushing yet another half arsed project onto people with no clear and concise path and just hoping it works. We shouldn't have to be their beta testers for this. This should be something they build, work out and ultimately deliver in a working state.

As it is now, it's delivering nothing but false hope. 'I downloaded <insert app name> how come it doesn't work? I thought this was Android compatible?' A few of those instances and you've already upset people who bought your product leaving them feeling duped.
    05-20-14 09:28 PM
    Let me get this straight, iphones in 2007 came with a native google maps and youtube app out of the box. My device runs youtube in the browser instead of its own app. The ordinary user cannot install google play services on their device. This is required to run something as simple as the +g app. BlackBerry needs to provide this capability straight out of the blackberry world store. Shouldn't have to download the Amazon App Store or any of the other repositories need to download the. apk files. You and I may not mind it but the ordinary user is going to require it.

Posted from Q10
    05-20-14 09:38 PM
    If you can't beat em...join them but be the team captain.

Posted from Q10
    MERCDROID likes this.
    05-20-14 09:40 PM
    Android apps are what is going to be save Blackberry. Just try to have an open mind.
    That's crazy. Android apps are never going to save BlackBerry. If anything in the long run they will hurt BlackBerry.

A lot of them don't work. Those that do are laggy and don't seem to work completely.

Android apps are a good stop gap measure for now. But since it still requires effort to side load Snap, it isn't even a solution for the common user.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-20-14 09:44 PM
    Even the apps I dl from snap are incredibly slow and lag like crazy.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 11:02 PM
    They need quick solutions... waiting on first party developers is not an option. hopefully once they hit profits they'll be pushing on native apps much more.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    This.

Baby steps. They need to walk before they can run. We all want native apps (including BB) but these folks need to run the business first.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    05-20-14 11:07 PM
    Well if I were google I would have no problem with Snap, as long as it's not advertised. Google has no problem (oficially) with the Amazon Android fork or the Nokia one and that's because they have their own app store.

BB should really get a partnership with Amazon for their store.
    I used to think a partnership with Amazon was the right direction, but not anymore. They would most certainly cannibalize BB World in the process. As long as they make it easy to install APK's OTA then they can just leave it to users to grab the apps they need from the web that are not in BB World. This method will eventually become common knowledge just like jail breaking an iPhone and installing apps outside of iTunes. All of my non-techie iFriends have jail broken their iDevices without a problem.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    05-20-14 11:11 PM
    Even the apps I dl from snap are incredibly slow and lag like crazy.

Posted via CB10
    Because those are all Android apps. Snap is just a store front that allows us to access Google Play. Those apps aren't vetted in any way, for either compatability or security.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-20-14 11:28 PM
    Why spend extra money on an Android?

I'm afraid that I would no longer support a company that relies on Android to stay afloat. It makes no sense other than for popular vote. I didn't buy into BlackBerry for Android. I'm really hoping the runtime fades away after the app gap is filled.

emPowered by ?
    05-20-14 11:36 PM
326 ... 23456 ...