05-31-14 10:22 PM
326 12345 ...
tools
    I hope it's no strategy.

Couldn't imagine any other manufacturer advertising a competing ecosystem front and center while trying to launch a hero device.
    .......>>>>>

Android ready sounds like the bootloader is unlocked and I can flash an Android image.
    ...this would be my only worry with the above strategy.. just saying "Android ready" is a little misleading and not really the message you want to give to security-conscious BB diehards.. I think the message should be "Android-app compatible".

Hah, I see Raestloz kinda beat me to it...
    arvind1983 likes this.
    05-20-14 05:52 AM
    As far as I was aware the z3 comes with one of the Android stores (mobil, amazon, snap) preloaded onto it, thus making the Z3 'Android ready'. If BlackBerry really does want to go down this path they need to come up with a way of partitioning the invasive android apps from the rest of your data as they currently have free reign.

Z10 addict, waiting for the next flagship Z...
    05-20-14 06:00 AM
    As far as I was aware the z3 comes with one of the Android stores (mobil, amazon, snap) preloaded onto it, thus making the Z3 'Android ready'...
    Can anyone with a Z3 confirm this?

JBB
    05-20-14 06:03 AM
    LOL

I wonder if Lawyers were involved

JBB
    Well if I were google I would have no problem with Snap, as long as it's not advertised. Google has no problem (oficially) with the Amazon Android fork or the Nokia one and that's because they have their own app store.

BB should really get a partnership with Amazon for their store.
    05-20-14 06:15 AM
    Attachment 271984

The Z3 is being touted as being Android Ready

BlackBerry 10 Can Run 98% Of All Android Apps According To Chen | N4BB

And Chen is saying that BB10 can run 98% of Android Apps.

Do you think they are about to announce something? Or is this just some lose marketing?
    It's misleading and may get some people angry.
    1. There is no Google app store
    2. Integration is not great (background processes, notifications, etc.)
    3. 98% of the entire store doesn't matter. Each market needs a 100% of their top 20 apps.
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    05-20-14 06:48 AM
    I have seen plenty of Z3 reviews and unboxing I have never seen or heard about this.

JBB
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-20-14 06:54 AM
    The Nokia X is an Android phone at least. So it makes sense.
    Turn BlackBerry 10 to the next Nokia X with security to boot, keyboard, tool belt, and hub. I can't be happier.

Sent from pin:2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    05-20-14 06:56 AM
    Stop gap measure, pure and simple. Something so that more dedicated BlackBerry users can have access to a wider range of apps so that they don't leave BlackBerry.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Maybe true. But if they can convert 70% of remaining legacy users by enticing them with this app proposition that would be a win in and of itself. Don't you think?

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 07:17 AM
    Android ready? That makes me shiver.

Should have used "android app ready" as others have mentioned.

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    05-20-14 08:16 AM

JBB
    I another thread someone there mentioned the store they were at had a desk showing customers how to load 1Mobile Store and how to load apps. Have no idea if this was something the store did on their own initiative or if it was suggested by BlackBerry. But the poster did not indicate that app was preloaded.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-20-14 08:37 AM
    Bb10 users will get the apk if they want. Google shouldn't be afraid to set a precedence with other OSes.

Imagine if they had the first cross-platform app store? It would benefit everyone, especially Google.

Posted via CB10
    thisiscjay likes this.
    05-20-14 08:55 AM
    Reality is that what BB needs is for people to buy the phones. The "lack of apps" line is pernicious, and this gets around that. If people do, then developers will create native apps, and it becomes self-reinforcing. It's chicken and egg. So promoting it on the basis that Android apps work is entirely sensible, no matter how some people might feel about that. Pre-loading Snap would help immeasurably with that, because most users don't want to mess around with sideloading, they want it there. I've told the other half for ages that Android apps work on her Z10, it wasn't until I installed it for her that she even looked at them, whilst complaining the BB ones were insufficient.

So yes, it needs to be an official feature if they can do it.
    05-20-14 09:08 AM
    Reality is that what BB needs is for people to buy the phones. The "lack of apps" line is pernicious, and this gets around that. If people do, then developers will create native apps, and it becomes self-reinforcing. It's chicken and egg. So promoting it on the basis that Android apps work is entirely sensible, no matter how some people might feel about that. Pre-loading Snap would help immeasurably with that, because most users don't want to mess around with sideloading, they want it there. I've told the other half for ages that Android apps work on her Z10, it wasn't until I installed it for her that she even looked at them, whilst complaining the BB ones were insufficient.

So yes, it needs to be an official feature if they can do it.
    I never understood the "getting android apps will result in bigger sales and then developers will build native apps" argument. Once BB gets on the android apps road, developers have no incentive to build from scratch a new app when they can just use the android port. Hell, even now, developers devote 1 week of work and put an android port on BB world, but they don't.
    JeepBB and bp3dots like this.
    05-20-14 09:12 AM
    I never understood the "getting android apps will result in bigger sales and then developers will build native apps". Once BB gets on the android apps road, developers have no incentive to build from scratch a new app when they can just use the android port. Hell, even now, developers devote 1 week of work and put an android port on BB world, but they don't.
    Because developers want their apps to work well ultimately. If there are lots of sales out there to be grabbed (and this pre-supposes that as a result BB sales go up markedly) then it's in their interests that people find the experience as good as possible. At present, they barely even notice BB. First thing is to grab their attention, and that means delivering sales of the platform. Without that, nothing is possible. No, it's not a perfect solution, and sure some may decide not to bother. But you still need sales of the platform before we can even have this debate.
    Omnitech and thisiscjay like this.
    05-20-14 09:17 AM
    The way I look at it is that Chen & BlackBerry are in a deep rut and it will take certain decisions to get them out, dangerous ones at that!
    BlackBerry could go about polishing the OS and marketing huge on gimmicks, leaving the "lack of apps" for some other solution, or else go the android way and produce a runtime and market the app availability to increase sales, soo many buyers are on the edge just because of the app selection, do remember, many apps run people's lives and careers, if BlackBerry doesn't have them.. you won't find those people buying the platform.
    Both decisions come with many dangers but something has to be done and I think Chen is going in the right direction!

Posted via CB10
    Banco likes this.
    05-20-14 10:25 AM
    Because developers want their apps to work well ultimately. If there are lots of sales out there to be grabbed (and this pre-supposes that as a result BB sales go up markedly) then it's in their interests that people find the experience as good as possible. At present, they barely even notice BB. First thing is to grab their attention, and that means delivering sales of the platform. Without that, nothing is possible. No, it's not a perfect solution, and sure some may decide not to bother. But you still need sales of the platform before we can even have this debate.
    Developers want to make money!

If 2% of their users are having a crappy experiences because they chose to use an unsupported platform... maybe the developer has the time and interest to help that 2%, and maybe the don't. Now if for some reason a particular app is more popular with BB10 users than with Android users (they may use a Google version) and thus more BB10 users buy it than normal, and that percentage rises to 30%... then sure a developer is going to look at supporting those paying customers.

What I still question, is if Microsoft could build their platform by paying developers - just the big ones, maybe 20 of them at most. Why can't BlackBerry.... Even if they paid them $5 million each, it would be worth it to get the platform going. Then the rest would follow....

6 million devices with 4-5 million users does not a platform make (I bet 80% of Z30 owners were already BB10 users). Now sell 4 million devices in one quarter, then 6 million the next and then 10 million the next.... you will have your native apps.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    05-20-14 10:43 AM
    Developers want to make money!

If 2% of their users are having a crappy experiences because they chose to use an unsupported platform... maybe the developer has the time and interest to help that 2%, and maybe the don't. Now if for some reason a particular app is more popular with BB10 users than with Android users (they may use a Google version) and thus more BB10 users buy it than normal, and that percentage rises to 30%... then sure a developer is going to look at supporting those paying customers.

What I still question, is if Microsoft could build their platform by paying developers - just the big ones, maybe 20 of them at most. Why can't BlackBerry.... Even if they paid them $5 million each, it would be worth it to get the platform going. Then the rest would follow....

6 million devices with 4-5 million users does not a platform make (I bet 80% of Z30 owners were already BB10 users). Now sell 4 million devices in one quarter, then 6 million the next and then 10 million the next.... you will have your native apps.
    Sure - so ultimately it comes down to the one single requirement: sell more phones. Everything else stems from that single requirement. If appearing to support Android apps with all that entails encourages people to buy, then that's the principal job done.

As an aside, can developers tell if app users are actually on a BB10 phone or not? Or does it just appear as a generic Android device?
    05-20-14 10:55 AM
    Sure - so ultimately it comes down to the one single requirement: sell more phones. Everything else stems from that single requirement. If appearing to support Android apps with all that entails encourages people to buy, then that's the principal job done.

As an aside, can developers tell if app users are actually on a BB10 phone or not? Or does it just appear as a generic Android device?
    If I go to Google Play, my Z10 is listed as one of my devices. I can't install apps to it, and it doesn't correctly identify which apps work with the Z10. But I would say that yes, developers and Google know we are there.
    05-20-14 11:02 AM
    If I go to Google Play, my Z10 is listed as one of my devices. I can't install apps to it, and it doesn't correctly identify which apps work with the Z10. But I would say that yes, developers and Google know we are there.
    I'm sure they do do - what I was wondering though is if with a particular installed apk it shows to the developer as being a BB10 phone or not....I don't have a clue!
    05-20-14 11:07 AM
    IMHO I don't see BBRY infringing on patents or copyrights, only facilitating the ability to run software.

I just want to throw this out there for perspective. Apple/Mac systems have been able to run Windows software for some time. This was a strategy of Apple when they were the underdog, their market share back then was miniscule, like BBRY's today. They were even referred to as "a quaint operating system but not relevant in today's [1995] PC dominated world". Microsoft so dominated the market that the generic term PC was synonymous with Microsoft. That's how bad it was for Apple.

My memory is not the best, but I can't recall any legal disputes that led to much and Microsoft did feel threatened so if they could have they would have ordered a cease and desist. Of course the rest as they say, is history.

There were not many apple software developers back then and ultimately it doesn't appear that this ability to run windows programs on a Mac had an adverse affect on the propagation of developers for their OS's

Apple Computer Ad - Mac & Windows 95 - YouTube
    05-20-14 11:13 AM
    IMHO I don't see BBRY infringing on patents or copyrights, only facilitating the ability to run software.

I just want to throw this out there for perspective. Apple/Mac systems have been able to run Windows software for some time. This was a strategy of Apple when they were the underdog, their market share back then was miniscule, like BBRY's today. They were even referred to as "a quaint operating system but not relevant in today's [1995] PC dominated world". Microsoft so dominated the market that the generic term PC was synonymous with Microsoft. That's how bad it was for Apple.

My memory is not the best, but I can't recall any legal disputes that led to much and Microsoft did feel threatened so if they could have they would have ordered a cease and desist. Of course the rest as they say, is history.

The problem isn't the android runtime (as in it is not illegal), but probably the fact that snap gets apps from google play. At any moment in time google can decide not to let it work anymore. That's why in my opinion is that BB should make an official deal with a 3rd party app store (amazon, 1mobile), because right now if snap gets popular google may take action against it.
    05-20-14 11:25 AM
    Do they tech customers to install a custom app store? Otherwise this information is pretty useless for 98% of consumers.

It would most likely cause confusion:

Customer: "You said it has android apps? But I can't find X major app"
    sales person: "it said android ready, but you must manually do these 5 steps"
    Customer: "I don't like this anymore"
    All you do is download mobile one store, it's simple

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 11:36 AM
    Do they tech customers to install a custom app store? Otherwise this information is pretty useless for 98% of consumers.

It would most likely cause confusion:

Customer: "You said it has android apps? But I can't find X major app"
    sales person: "it said android ready, but you must manually do these 5 steps"
    Customer: "I don't like this anymore"
    05-20-14 11:58 AM

I just want to throw this out there for perspective. Apple/Mac systems have been able to run Windows software for some time. This was a strategy of Apple when they were the underdog, their market share back then was miniscule, like BBRY's today.
    The huge difference there was that, in order to run Windows on a Mac, you had to actually go BUY a licensed full copy of Windows. Also, once you did so, Windows apps were available in a completely open market - Google's Play Store is NOT completely open - it is specifically tied to official Google-certified Android devices.

So, this IMO isn't a valid comparison - the situation is a lot different.
    05-20-14 11:59 AM

There were not many apple software developers back then and ultimately it doesn't appear that this ability to run windows programs on a Mac had an adverse affect on the propagation of developers for their OS's

After a series of legal battles MS and Apple came into a broad cross-license agreement which also included IE as the default desktop browser for Mac which cut the legs out from under Netscape and MS pledged to provide Office. This is why MS and Apple aren't suing each other for smartphone patents and also why there aren't any legal implications for facilitating dual booting or otherwise using Windows on Apple devices.
    NinjaB likes this.
    05-20-14 02:18 PM
326 12345 ...