05-31-14 09:22 PM
326 ... 1011121314
tools
    Nope. But I do think if they can build up BB world to a point where devs *want* to develop for the platform, they could then consider shutting down the android runtime permanently.
    Great idea. What should they do that they haven't already done?

It's a journey. Had they not done themselves the damage they did with the way they mishandled the PlayBook, BlackBerry's reputation and market position would have compelled more major app publishers to support the platform. As it is now, they'll have to regain the market any way they can, and Android compatibility can go a long way to helping this.
    05-28-14 11:07 AM
    The major lag on my Z10 is maybe 4 second initial load up for CNN vs maybe 1.5 seconds initial load on my Nexus tablet. Of course most iOS and Android users only close their open apps once in a while whereas BB10 users are more apt to close them right away. I like that feature.

All in all, I prefer using a BB10 device because of the OS vs the Android. The app lag is not a big concern compared to having no app.
    05-28-14 11:21 AM
    Because amazon's store doesn't adhere to the open source project or whatever it is. They don't have Google services either.
    Snap does adhere to those?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-28-14 11:38 AM
    The major lag on my Z10 is maybe 4 second initial load up for CNN vs maybe 1.5 seconds initial load on my Nexus tablet. Of course most iOS and Android users only close their open apps once in a while whereas BB10 users are more apt to close them right away. I like that feature.

All in all, I prefer using a BB10 device because of the OS vs the Android. The app lag is not a big concern compared to having no app.
    I'm not sure about in-app performance, but apparently Android app load times have been fixed in 10.3. They apparently load as fast as native apps now.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=930971

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 11:51 AM
    Snap does adhere to those?

No but it's direct to Google play. Don't know what voodoo the app is using. The point is amazon's store is their own since they have a forked version of android and don't belong to whatever alliance. Amazon fire's etc. Can not access Google play either. 1mobile is an alternate site like amazon but on 1mobile you have to even more careful of virus and fake apps.

Edit: at least that's what I get out of it.
    05-28-14 11:51 AM
    No but it's direct to Google play. Don't know what voodoo the app is using. The point is amazon's store is their own since they have a forked version of android and don't belong to whatever alliance. Amazon fire's etc. Can not access Google play either. 1mobile is an alternate site like amazon but on 1mobile you have to even more careful of virus and fake apps.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Attaching to Google Play without an authorized handset is a violation of Google's ToS, and that's what Snap allows you to do. It spoofs Google Play to think it's being accessed by an OHA-compliant handset.

Amazon, OTOH, doesn't care what you're using to connect.

BTW, for those of you thinking that having to install a 3rd party app store is too high a barrier, I heard an unconfirmed report that the Z3 comes with 1mobile...

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-28-14 04:10 PM

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't think simpletons like me are meant to understand all that.

I'm just happy that snap works and let me install my Montreal Alouettes CFL app.

kbz1960 likes this.
    05-28-14 06:49 PM
    With its share of the global smartphone market headed below one percent, BlackBerry CEO John Chen acknowledged Wednesday that the company probably cant compete head-on for developers with iOS and Android.

Chen said the company will continue to seek developers in key vertical markets, but said that BlackBerry is probably no longer in the position of being able to support a full ecosystem.

The most logical option would be for BlackBerry to more fully support Android. Already, Android apps can be tweaked to run on BlackBerry 10 handhelds.
    Chen said in a recent*interview, 98 percent of Android apps can run on BlackBerry.

As to whether BlackBerry might be keen to do that, Chen didnt rule it out. And a check from Google might make that even more attractive.

http://recode.net/2014/05/28/john-ch...or-developers/

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    anon(6038817) and JeepBB like this.
    05-28-14 07:26 PM
    With its share of the global smartphone market headed below one percent, BlackBerry CEO John Chen acknowledged Wednesday that the company probably cant compete head-on for developers with iOS and Android.

Chen said the company will continue to seek developers in key vertical markets, but said that BlackBerry is probably no longer in the position of being able to support a full ecosystem.

The most logical option would be for BlackBerry to more fully support Android. Already, Android apps can be tweaked to run on BlackBerry 10 handhelds.
    Chen said in a recent*interview, 98 percent of Android apps can run on BlackBerry.

As to whether BlackBerry might be keen to do that, Chen didnt rule it out. And a check from Google might make that even more attractive.

http://recode.net/2014/05/28/john-ch...or-developers/

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    There you have it. They are conceding defeat in the app game and hitching their wagon to Android's star.

If that is indeed their focus, and attracting developers of native apps is no longer in the cards, then it certainly makes sense to get Android apps running the best they possibly can.

Will we see Android app downloads from BlackBerry World? Hub integration? I hope so.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    05-28-14 07:43 PM
    Sailfish and Tizen OS's can both run Android apps IIRC.

Sailfish's runtime is better than BB10's according to a couple of articles I've read. *ducks*

JBB
    My question would be WTF is BB's problem? If Sailfish is kicking their a$$ in Android integration after having a head start then they seriously need to get it together. I would be surprised if this is the case though. It's easy to say it and pass on heresay, but until the phones get into enough peoples hands we will never know how well the Sailfish Android runtime really works.
    Last edited by LuvULongTime; 05-29-14 at 05:55 AM.
    05-28-14 08:53 PM
    Also ... Apps will "still play an important role" for BlackBerryMobile World Live

"We will never be able to attract the millions of developers who have currently built apps for Android, but what we can do is enable them to run on our platform.”
    05-28-14 10:04 PM
    Chen needs to name the "feature" that BlackBerry can run 90+% of the android apps and market it as such. You can't market BlackBerry as android ready if it doesn't fully support it. Name it like "Drone". "Drone is a feature of BlackBerry to have the ability to install most android apps.". It markets better that way.

BBQ10
    05-28-14 10:55 PM
    You aren't saying anything. Everything is a quote...

05-28-14 11:27 PM
    Maybe they are going to wait until 10.3. I understand that games do not play very well on 10.2.1 - as per other threads.

I imagine that the good android apk's to be less than 98%.
    05-29-14 01:34 AM
    Chen needs to name the "feature" that BlackBerry can run 90+% of the android apps and market it as such. You can't market BlackBerry as android ready if it doesn't fully support it. Name it like "Drone". "Drone is a feature of BlackBerry to have the ability to install most android apps.". It markets better that way.

BBQ10
    Maybe it's ancient history, but back in the 80s Compaq did a great business building "PC-compatible" systems that were not 100% compatible with IBM-PCs, but somehow people bought them anyway.
    05-29-14 02:34 AM
    Maybe they are going to wait until 10.3. I understand that games do not play very well on 10.2.1 - as per other threads.

I imagine that the good android apk's to be less than 98%.
    Every Android game I've tried works fine in 10.2.1. Everything from Candy Crush to 3D games. Slow to load, sure, but they tend to load successfully and run well.

I've tried perhaps a couple hundred apps, just to test compatibility. Very few wouldn't run at all (the most glaring: Microsoft Office OneNote, which installs and launches but hangs, and Zinio, which won't launch at all without Google Play Services). Some apps throw up an error when they don't find Google Play Services, but even most of those will go on to function once the error message is dismissed. The VAST majority (80%+) ran acceptably well.

For a user who hasn't used anything but BlackBerry, but maybe wants a little more choice in apps, this may turn out to be acceptable. Anyone who wants a high degree of Android compatibility will just buy Android, but someone who wants a BlackBerry will feel reassured that if there's an Android app that they HAVE to have and isn't available in BlackBerry World, they know it's likely to work.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-29-14 02:47 AM
    Every Android game I've tried works fine in 10.2.1. Everything from Candy Crush to 3D games. Slow to load, sure, but they tend to load successfully and run well.

I've tried perhaps a couple hundred apps, just to test compatibility. Very few wouldn't run at all (the most glaring: Microsoft Office OneNote, which installs and launches but hangs, and Zinio, which won't launch at all without Google Play Services). Some apps throw up an error when they don't find Google Play Services, but even most of those will go on to function once the error message is dismissed. The VAST majority (80%+) ran acceptably well.

For a user who hasn't used anything but BlackBerry, but maybe wants a little more choice in apps, this may turn out to be acceptable. Anyone who wants a high degree of Android compatibility will just buy Android, but someone who wants a BlackBerry will feel reassured that if there's an Android app that they HAVE to have and isn't available in BlackBerry World, they know it's likely to work.
    That's the problem... who wants a BlackBerry? Why should they want a BlackBerry?

BBOS hurt BlackBerry's image for too long. Locked down older devices provided by companies, hurt BlackBerry's perception among consumers. The fumbled launch (buggy OS, High Prices, so-so hardware, poor battery life) left a bad taste in many of the front line sales peoples mouth. And never mind devices like the STORM and PlayBook and how they left people feeling.

People need a reason to choose the platform! Or six million BB10 devices is going to be the standing sales record.
    JeepBB, celticmagick and kbz1960 like this.
    05-29-14 08:37 AM
    That's the problem... who wants a BlackBerry? Why should they want a BlackBerry?

BBOS hurt BlackBerry's image for too long. Locked down older devices provided by companies, hurt BlackBerry's perception among consumers. The fumbled launch (buggy OS, High Prices, so-so hardware, poor battery life) left a bad taste in many of the front line sales peoples mouth. And never mind devices like the STORM and PlayBook and how they left people feeling.

People need a reason to choose the platform! Or six million BB10 devices is going to be the standing sales record.

The reason to buy a BlackBerry is BB10 and the possibility of a good Physical Keyboard device.

Here in North America.

They need a state of the art all touch device - better screen and camera and a Porsche level of style at Nexus prices.
    They need to help the carriers through incentives and marketing.
    They need an BlackBerry Android World and they need to convince Enterprises suppliers ( think of your local bank etc) to populate their store with their android apps.
    05-29-14 11:05 AM
    The reason to buy a BlackBerry is BB10 and the possibility of a good Physical Keyboard device.

Here in North America.

They need a state of the art all touch device - better screen and camera and a Porsche level of style at Nexus prices.
    They need an BlackBerry Android World and they need to convince Enterprises suppliers ( think of your local bank etc) to populate their store with their android apps.
    What is the percentage of that possibility? Based on Keven's poll.... not so good.

Do you suffer from the 'double typing issue' on the BlackBerry Q10? | CrackBerry.com
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-29-14 11:09 AM

Here in North America.

Maybe. Certainly apps and specs are what make people buy a device. I don't know if a good physical keyboard is what people are looking for.

05-29-14 11:11 AM
    Maybe. Certainly apps and specs are what make people buy a device. I don't know if a good physical keyboard is what people are looking for.

I agree that majority ( 95% ??) would be looking for all touch device. If you need a physical keyboard device you should go BB. The Q10 seems to have major quality control issues. Does the Q5 have the same double typing problem ? Maybe Foxconn should be making all of their devices . I wish that another major manufacturer would license BB10.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-29-14 12:01 PM

Here in North America.

Clearly BB10 isn't enough to sell devices. Hence the position they are in now, not to mention those on older devices (their own customers and user base) refusing to move into BB10. As much as I love the physical keyboard, majority of smartphone users are okay with virtual keyboards.

They need to innovate and then market the crap out of it if there is to be any future.

emPowered by ?
    05-29-14 12:10 PM

A bit OT but Zinio does work. Just ignore the Google Play Services message and tap on through. Note that it is a pretty laggy app, on pretty much any platform I've used it on...but particularly so on BB10 so have patience. But it works.
    05-29-14 04:33 PM
    Clearly BB10 isn't enough to sell devices. Hence the position they are in now, not to mention those on older devices (their own customers and user base) refusing to move into BB10. As much as I love the physical keyboard, majority of smartphone users are okay with virtual keyboards.

They need to innovate and then market the crap out of it if there is to be any future.

emPowered by ?

BB10 with no apps and LY hardware no.

BB10 with Android apps and current but cheaper hardware, maybe.

It looks like right now all the innovation is going to the Q models where apps are less in demand. It is too bad that Foxconn could not fast track an upgrade for the Z30 and or the Z10.
    05-29-14 05:45 PM
    I just really wish the Android performance was better.

Although most apps work, I find most apps to be painfully slow--so much so that I simply delete them.

Is BlackBerry is serious about using Android to fill in its app gap, then they have to fix the performance.

I don't care about having Android 4.3. Only 8.5 percent of actual Android phones have Android 4.3!!! LOL

They should stop updating the version and focus on getting 4.2.2 working faster (or I guess 4.3 since they've already started on it) and forget about getting versions working that no apps even require to run.

They also need a workaround for notifications.

FB messenger runs fine on BB10 but has no notifications, making the fact that it works a moot point. (leaving it open in an active frame is not a solution)

My 2 cents

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 06:35 PM
326 ... 1011121314