05-31-14 09:22 PM
326 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Is this possible from a technical standpoint? If so, that would be awesome.
    I don't see why not. I can install apps using the Amazon app store, and that's an Android app.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 11:26 PM
    The ability to run Android apps may save the platform in the short term, but in the long term it may prove to be its downfall.

The Netflixes out there didn't see a reason to develop a native BB10 app before, and they have even less reason to now. Why develop a native app when they can just install your Android version?

IOS and Android have succeeded with a combination of good hardware, good OS, and robust app/video/music ecosystems. Even Windows Phone has improved its app offerings enough to dethrone BlackBerry as the 3rd most popular smartphone platform.

If developer support doesn't improve, and the existing support dries up, it'll be up to BlackBerry to make their platform stand out with just the handset hardware and the BB10 OS.

Frankly, the competition is only getting stronger while BlackBerry continues to fade, and I don't think the ability to run Android apps is enough to turn things around.

They need a game changer, and being "Android ready" isn't it.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-27-14 11:34 PM
    The ability to run Android apps may save the platform in the short term, but in the long term it may prove to be its downfall.

The Netflixes out there didn't see a reason to develop a native BB10 app before, and they have even less reason to now. Why develop a native app when they can just install your Android version?

IOS and Android have succeeded with a combination of good hardware, good OS, and robust app/video/music ecosystems. Even Windows Phone has improved its app offerings enough to dethrone BlackBerry as the 3rd most popular smartphone platform.

If developer support doesn't improve, and the existing support dries up, it'll be up to BlackBerry to make their platform stand out with just the handset hardware and the BB10 OS.

Frankly, the competition is only getting stronger while BlackBerry continues to fade, and I don't think the ability to run Android apps is enough to turn things around.

I agree that being able to run Android isn't -- on its own -- a reason to buy a BB10 phone. But what it does do is take away one of the many reasons people have not been buying BB10 phones (the enormously-reported on app gap: you can't get past the first paragraph of any BB10 phone review without it being mentioned).

Having a strong app ecosystem is as expected today as having email on a phone.

Just like email: You wouldn't buy a phone just because it had email, but you'd almost certainly not buy a phone that didn't have it.

As for getting more native apps: the ship has sailed for the most part: BB10 was launched almost a year and a half ago and the app situation is still poor (although much better than it was at launch).

If BlackBerry didn't get developers in the first year+, why would they suddenly start getting a ton of big name developers now?

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Banco like this.
    05-28-14 01:01 AM
    I agree that being able to run Android isn't -- on its own -- a reason to buy a BB10 phone. But what it does do is take away one of the many reasons people have not been buying BB10 phones (the enormously-reported on app gap: you can't get past the first paragraph of any BB10 phone review without it being mentioned).

Having a strong app ecosystem is as expected today as having email on a phone.

Just like email: You wouldn't buy a phone just because it had email, but you'd almost certainly not buy a phone that didn't have it.

As for getting more native apps: the ship has sailed for the most part: BB10 was launched almost a year and a half ago and the app situation is still poor (although much better than it was at launch).

If BlackBerry didn't get developers in the first year+, why would they suddenly start getting a ton of big name developers now?

Posted via CB10
    Yes but reviews and use cases should be for the general public, not tech guys. if in order to get the apps you need one must read a tutorial on the internet (about sideloading stuff), then that is a bandaid no matter how you look at it.

Could you guys imagine how BB10 app situation would have been like without an android runtime?
    05-28-14 06:18 AM

If there is a significant number of users on the platform then there will be a native app. This whole idea that an android app will kill development of a native app is strange. At the end of the day these companies are in the customer service business. They want their customers to have the best experience possible using their app. Native delivers on this over a port.

Posted via CB10
    dragon77, Banco and coffee-turtle like this.
    05-28-14 06:22 AM
    For Google Play Services to be available, BlackBerry would have to convince Google to authorize BB10 as a member of the Open Handset Alliance.

That. Will. Not. Happen.

As it happens, there are many devices sold with either forked Android (Nokia X, Kindle Fire), or non OHA Android. NONE of these devices runs Google-dependent apps any better than BB10 does.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    You are right which is why this android app solution is not really a solution it's more of a wallpapering the cracks

BlackBerry must convince developers that the OS is worth their time to create Native solutions. We will also get a better experience this way out of of the apps

This beautiful OS deserves it's native apps
    05-28-14 06:22 AM
    If there is a significant number of users on the platform then there will be a native app. This whole idea that an android app will kill development of a native app is strange. At the end of the day these companies are in the customer service business. They want their customers to have the best experience possible using their app. Native delivers on this over a port.

Posted via CB10
    Sad but true..
    05-28-14 06:23 AM
    Yes but reviews and use cases should be for the general public, not tech guys. if in order to get the apps you need one must read a tutorial on the internet (about sideloading stuff), then that is a bandaid no matter how you look at it.

Could you guys imagine how BB10 app situation would have been like without an android runtime?
    If iPhone owners can jail break their phones and install apps outside of iTunes then BlackBerry owners can go to their browsers and type "install amazon app store".

And if someone ever made an apk version of snap that would be just as easy as the above.

Posted via CB10
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    05-28-14 06:25 AM
    Is BlackBerry the only devices that can load and use apps from different systems?

It is rare that I need an Android app to 'fill a gap', but I like having the option. The two that I use perform well too. They were easy to install too.

All-in-all this ability/feature of BlackBerry is very impressive.

I like my coffee BlackBerry Black! What?
    05-28-14 06:29 AM
    Is BlackBerry the only devices that can load and use apps from different systems?

It is rare that I need an Android app to 'fill a gap', but I like having the option. The two that I use perform well too. They were easy to install too.

No they aren't. There have been some in the past and new ones coming.
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    05-28-14 06:41 AM

When I show people that, the reaction is more than anything "that's amazing". I keep banging on about this point, the number of power users is absolutely tiny. It's why the fact you need to download the Amazon store is a handicap, but why when you have it, it's a very, very strong feature. Snap I discount completely, not many people will do that.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-28-14 06:44 AM
    Sailfish and Tizen OS's can both run Android apps IIRC.

Sailfish's runtime is better than BB10's according to a couple of articles I've read. *ducks*

JBB
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-28-14 07:37 AM
    Thanks for that LuvULongTime

Just saw your directions for the Amazon Appstore and installed immediately and cleanly
    Testing time

jtvberry
    05-28-14 07:41 AM
    Thanks for that LuvULongTime

Just saw your directions for the Amazon Appstore and installed immediately and cleanly
    Testing time

jtvberry
    I must confess to be amused at the free app of the day on there (for the UK anyway): App Point - go to your apps without going to the home screen first....
    05-28-14 07:47 AM
    Sailfish and Tizen OS's can both run Android apps IIRC.

Sailfish's runtime is better than BB10's according to a couple of articles I've read. *ducks*

JBB
    Define better and give sources
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-28-14 07:51 AM
    Define better and give sources
    I reckon that might be a topic for another thread.

I think the point is that BB10's Android runtime isn't unique.

Off-topic... I actually work with someone with a Sailfish phone. Only one I've ever seen... So I doubt Sailfish represents a threat to BB's market share.

JBB
    05-28-14 08:08 AM
    When I show people that, the reaction is more than anything "that's amazing". I keep banging on about this point, the number of power users is absolutely tiny. It's why the fact you need to download the Amazon store is a handicap, but why when you have it, it's a very, very strong feature. Snap I discount completely, not many people will do that.
    Thanks for the feedback!

05-28-14 08:18 AM
    I reckon that might be a topic for another thread.

I think the point is that BB10's Android runtime isn't unique.

Off-topic... I actually work with someone with a Sailfish phone. Only one I've ever seen... So I doubt Sailfish represents a threat to BB's market share.

JBB
    It's not unique and OS running Linux have the advantage, but BlackBerry is starting to integrate things nicely with the base OS and I'm not sure the other OS are doing the same thing.

And the Jolla One is only available in 1 country, so yeah, they're not easy to come by...
    mnc76 likes this.
    05-28-14 08:22 AM

No sideloading needed if you have 10.2.1.

Just follow this link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-app...UvbUpU10403891

So is BB10 ready for Android to be an official feature?-img_20140528_092222.png

Click the "Download Amazon App Store" button.

Save the app store software.

Then long press the app store file and select "Install".

So is BB10 ready for Android to be an official feature?-img_20140528_092551.png

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 08:27 AM
    I installed the Amazon Appstore and found it very easy to do.

I haven't bothered with Snap and will not until it can be installed from an APK.

But I think the average person will ask: "why should I have to install another app store to get the apps I want, when I don't have to do that with an iPhone or Android?"

I think that's a very valid question. As easy as it is to install the Amazon Appstore, it's a third party service that we have to use to make up for BB10's app gap.

05-28-14 08:34 AM
    I installed the Amazon Appstore and found it very easy to do.

I haven't bothered with Snap and will not until it can be installed from an APK.

But I think the average person will ask: "why should I have to install another app store to get the apps I want, when I don't have to do that with an iPhone or Android?"

I think that's a very valid question. As easy as it is to install the Amazon Appstore, it's a third party service that we have to use to make up for BB10's app gap.

Not every Android App that a person might need is in the Amazon store. The app section is not the same. In addition, most businesses etc that offer an Android app will only provide a link to the official Google store.

A good market for BlackBerry are the many current users of Android phones or Tablets. In most cases they can transfer their current apps to their BB10 device by using a APK extractor app and simply e-mailing the App to themselves. That is what I did until I installed Snap.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 05-28-14 at 09:36 AM.
    05-28-14 09:16 AM
    Not every Android App that a person might need is in the Amazon store. Most businesses etc that offer a Android app will provide a link to the official Google store.

Posted via CB10
    Another great point. There are several apps I'd like to have that aren't in the Amazon Appstore, so I'd have to resort to side-loading Snap or hunting down individual APK files.

And if a business points to the Google Play store to download their Android app, BlackBerry users can't install it that way.

Here's why "Android ready" is still not enough. The average person is going to look at what's available in BlackBerry World and if what they want isn't there, they'll ignore BlackBerry as an option.

Now if we could easily search for and install Android APKs from within BlackBerry World, that would be something.

05-28-14 09:38 AM
    Snap isn't the only way to get Android apps. The Amazon store is a legal, sanctioned way to get Android apps that BlackBerry could publicly point to.

Posted via CB10
    If there are no legal issues with Amazon Store why are there legal issues with Snap?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-28-14 10:27 AM
    If there are no legal issues with Amazon Store why are there legal issues with Snap?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Because amazon's store doesn't adhere to the open source project or whatever it is. They don't have Google services either.
    05-28-14 10:32 AM
    I think BlackBerry really need to get their Android runtime a lot better, and in a shorter span of time, cause Android ported Apps, just don't run anywhere near as good as android, and this is a big gamble to come out publicly on their marketing material, they are going to have a lot of disappointed customers when they experience this lag. Don't over promise and under deliver. Customers are not as forgiving as BlackBerry fans.

I'm running android apps on Z30 and have major lag on basic apps like CNN, I can't imagine load times being better on the Z3.

If you wanted to go down this road, to fill the app gap, which I agree with, they should have been a lot more prepared to bridge this gap, with their own gateway, made a much more reliable runtime platform.

They claim they can run 98% of the Google Play apps, maybe, but how well they can run them and the actual experience is another story altogether.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-28-14 10:45 AM
326 ... 910111213 ...